So after the ending of the drama, the production team were faced with much hate/backlash from irate fans of the drama. Noticeably, the director disabled his weibo, but the show's screenwriter (Wang Hong) posted a script-like epilogue to her weibo that suggested there should/could've been a HE. So I'll put the translation here for your reading pleasure:

Source: https://m.weibo.cn/status/5064730777229051 

《In another time and space, they are doing good》

1. Some years later

△Mi Lan sits at the table and writing a letter. The handwriting is  elegant and free, quite in the style of Shen Zhiheng.

Mi Lan: (VO) Mr. Shen, I have also traveled all over the country, met many friends, and read many stories. I thought I would no longer remember the name Shen Zhiheng. However, everything I saw seemed to have your name written on it. I think this is the world you taught me.

△Mi Lan's room is piled with a lot of stuff, and the whole small room is like a store. Almost all the items that used to be in Shen's mansion are preserved and placed in various positions within reach. There is also a piano in the sun.

Mi Lan: (VO) You once told me that you wanted to see when the prosperous era would come. I especially want to tell you about my experiences over the years. I have seen wars, sufferings, and the difficulties of rebuilding, but I have also seen that this country is getting better and better. You... should be very happy, right?

△Mi Lan was walking on the street and happened to be standing at the door of a concert hall. There is a poster hanging outside the concert hall, which reads: The most mysterious pianist LAN Tianjin-Hong Kong Concert.

△Mi Lan looked at the full moon on the poster and was lost in thought.

Mi Lan: (OS) Mr. Shen, study hard and write, and see the world for you... You used newspapers back then, and now I use music. I am learning to walk the path you have taken, moving forward step by step. I am so lonely, so lonely, I seem to have finally become you, so where are you?

Mi Lan: (laughing and whispering) I have waited for you year after year. Waiting for the first spring rain every year. So today, I miss you especially.

△As soon as the words fell, Mi Lan seemed to feel a familiar breath, but when she turned around, she saw nothing.

△Situ Weilian walked slowly through the cemetery, and then stood in front of one of the graves.

△Situ Weilian was holding a bunch of tuberose flowers. Situ Weilian slowly bent down and placed the bouquet in front of the tombstone.

△The tombstone reads: Tomb of Mother Jin Jingxue

△Situ Weilian stood in front of the tomb, looking at these three words.

△At this time, a descendant (female) of the Jin family came to visit the tomb, and for the first time saw a young boy standing in front of Jin Jingxue's tomb. Very curious.

Descendant: Hello, do you know Grandma Jingxue?

Situ Weilian: (chuckles) Of course I know her. She is the most beautiful woman in Tianjin.

Descendant: (even more curious) I heard so too. My mother said that this grandma was the most fashionable person in Tianjin. She never got married and lived a very chic life. It seems that your family has also received her kindness.

Situ Weilian: Yes, you are right.

△Situ Weilian listened to this lively voice, and his expression gradually softened. The descendant placed the flowers.

△Situ Weilian slowly squatted down, looked at the name on the tombstone, and finally spoke in a low voice.

Situ Weilian: I'm sorry that I couldn't fulfill my promise to you. You must have left very disappointed.

△In front of the tombstone, only the flowers were shaking gently.

△ Sister Zhang came out of the concert hall and grabbed Mi Lan.

Sister Zhang: The concert is about to start, where are you going?

△ Mi Lan couldn't help but take a few steps back, stretched out her hand to feel the falling rain, and smiled.

Mi Lan: Sister Zhang, I won't play in the concert hall today. I want to go to play at another place.

△ Mi Lan suddenly turned around and trotted away.

△ Mi Lan ran to a square, where there was an old piano, which was placed in the corner for tourists to use when the square was attracting customers.

△ Mi Lan suddenly walked over, sat down and started playing the piano.

△ The first song she played was the first song she learned when she was in the choir.

△ The spring rain gradually fell with the sound of the piano.

△ The crowd that had gathered to listen to the piano began to slowly disperse, until the whole square was filled with only the sound of rain and the piano sound, like music for the heaven and earth.

△ In the rain, a man holding an umbrella slowly appeared on the square. The whole world seemed to have only one listener, but only this one listener.

△The sound of the piano gradually became softer.

△Mi Lan looked up at the man standing beside her, who stretched out his hand to shield her from the rain. It was Shen Zhiheng, whom she had not seen for a long, long time.

△Mi Lan stood up in disbelief, and slowly turned to look at Shen Zhiheng.

Mi Lan: You are... Mr. Shen.

△Shen Zhiheng held a pot of bright red camellia in his hand. He just looked tenderly at the much more mature Mi Lan. Then he answered softly.

Shen Zhiheng: Yes, I am. I'm back.

Shen Zhiheng: (OS) Mi Lan, I crossed mountains and seas just to accompany you to listen to this spring rain.

△The rain hit the piano keys, as if it had become a melody again.

△The sky and the earth are getting farther away, just like the rising sun.

△The spring rain is falling down.

△The budding red camellia finally bloomed. The rain fell on the flowers, on the leaves, and in every corner of this world.

I would've love this ending so much ?

FLorAzuL:

I would've love this ending so much ?

Me too. Seems 100 years have passed, because of what Milan said about following in his steps, and experiencing the world, and Jingxue is dead with grown grandchildren. 

Mi Lan being a pianist is so sweet, it suits her well. And SZH finding the fully blooming red camelia is a nice touch, because he never saw her gift to him in the drama at that time. I wish they release this I wonder why they decided not to use it.

I don't know what to say anymore ?

I just hope they release this video, I need to watch it

That’s just beautiful. I did read it on Weibo though the translation was wonky. But why couldn’t we get that? It was so powerful and necessary. 

Enigma05:

That’s just beautiful. I did read it on Weibo though the translation was wonky. But why couldn’t we get that? It was so powerful and necessary. 

Agree why not?? It is indeed powerful, fits the tone of the drama, and necessary for our closure.

I guess ask the doofus director.

• So, the epilog takes place in the 21st century? This would have been the perfect final espisode. They should have trimmed the mine footage and some of Li Ying Liang's dark scenes.

QAS:
  • So, the epilog takes place in the 21st century? This would have been the perfect final espisode. They should have trimmed the mine footage and some of Li Ying Liang's dark scenes.

Yup. So the latest news is that they might release a bonus clip for Qixi (Chinese valentine's day) on Aug 10. Let's see if it will be this bonus scene.

Haveninmuse:

Yup. So the latest news is that they might release a bonus clip for Qixi (Chinese valentine's day) on Aug 10. Let's see if it will be this bonus scene.

Yes, please. I need it. ?

Thank you, that's the hope I needed ?

Haveninmuse:

Yes, please. I need it. ?

Thank you, that's the hope I needed ?

Wait, so this wasn't filmed???

ObsidianAviary:

Wait, so this wasn't filmed???

Seems like nope :( Director's choice, perhaps.

the audience did not deserve this> I will never understand cdramas obession with trash endings