Kimsamsoom:

Maybe that becomes the fault of the writer then. To create such a strong characterization for HJP, that his flaws, paralleling to NDS, are more easily ignored. And giving NDS such a niche characterization, where his faults are magnified instead.

Yes, that's why Is said, "Unless". I wasn't sure on your views on this.

honestly if not for KSH, HJP will be any other characters that has been present in kdramaland.. KSH and the younger counterpart played HJP with such earnest..

Zelle:

honestly if not for KSH, HJP will be any other characters that has been present in kdramaland.. KSH and the younger counterpart played HJP with such earnest..

yup!

Maybe because most HJP fans sees that the writer 'attempts' to fix NDS's characterization.. but for me, it's not entirely the case. I admit i'm a dodal ftw fan, but it doesn't necessarily meant that im totally biased over nds.. i still could still hjp's strengths and in as much see them equally

Kimsamsoom:
HJP actually gives SDM a lot of space both physically and emotionally. In terms of blind love, I think both men are blind, as I don't see the appeal of SDM. I see the appeal of both NDS and HJP though.

Yeah that bedroom scene between NDS and HJP was wrong on both their parts. I'm not saying HJP doesn't have flaws, because he does, but they are easier to ignore.

space? i dont think so..... [that confession even knowing that dalmi is at a crossroads with what she felt and he had to add to that even tho he said that it's not for her to be confused]

and why it's easier to ignore HJp's?

Zelle:

space? i dont think so..... [that confession even knowing that dalmi is at a crossroads with what she felt and he had to add to that even tho he said that it's not for her to be confused]

and why it's easier to ignore HJp's?

Because he was given better characterization, backstory, and justification. So even when he does arguably bad things, he shows the audience and the characters in the show that he is trying his best to grow as a character.

Watch all 14 episodes, and you'll see HJP actually says thank you, sorry, and even admits that certain things are his fault. Now do the same for NDS, and you'll find every little remorse, acknowledgement and growth. 

And for those reasons, fans find it easier to relate to HJP. Because when we make mistakes like NDS does in life, we act like HJP after doing them, we at the very least, feel remorse. 

Zelle:

Maybe because most HJP fans sees that the writer 'attempts' to fix NDS's characterization.. but for me, it's not entirely the case. I admit i'm a dodal ftw fan, but it doesn't necessarily meant that im totally biased over nds.. i still could still hjp's strengths and in as much see them equally

Well, to be an NDS fan or HJP fans is to admit bias off the bat. It's how you justify your bias that enumerates the depth of your bias. 

Like I said, both men have their flaws, it's how they dealt with their flaws which has fans divided. Also a big part of the dislike of NDS was from that scene where SDM ask for personal space, and NDS didn't give it, and leaving her in the dark park to get a suit is a no-no. I think in that episode, a LOT of people shifted over to HJP side, because a lot of girls watch KDrama and for most of us girls, that's a huge red flag from our SO.

A lot of people, also do not like how weak NDS makes SDM's character. What started as a strong capable SDM, eventually turned into a "save me please NDS" character, which in this modern day of Kdrama, a lot of audience do not like.

It's one thing to have a weak FL from the start compared to a strong FL from the start, that is weakened by the ML.

Kimsamsoom:
Watch all 14 episodes, and you'll see HJP actually says thank you, sorry, and even admits that certain things are his fault. Now do the same for NDS, and you'll find every little remorse, acknowledgement and growth. 

1. He admits he aint a suitable CEO.

2. He praises others because of a great idea.

3. He don't do jealousy acts just to piss the other party.

4. He says sorry countless of times because she was hurt.

5. Although others may not see it, even though he's jealous, he uses that to improve his craft.

These are some of the things he did in the story.

Kimsamsoom:
Also a big part of the dislike of NDS was from that scene where SDM ask for personal space, and NDS didn't give it

I do think he gave her space by the time she said. He didn't follow her after she said it. Not gonna lie that he's wrong to leave her in the park. But i do think hjp did the same of not giving her space after knowing she might be confused after knowing the truth. he even confessed which is really a big no-no too. 

Kimsamsoom:
A lot of people, also do not like how weak NDS makes SDM's character. What started as a strong capable SDM, eventually turned into a "save me please NDS" character, which in this modern day of Kdrama, a lot of audience do not like.

how did NDS makes SDm's character weak?

SDM character cannot accomplish things on her own without NDS coming to her rescue. It's been shown several times.

A strong FL should be able to accomplish things on her own and able to accept consequences for her mistakes. Something that doesnt' happen.

To see what strong FL looks like, see WIJ.

I am a firm believer that NDS needs to let SDM grow on her own, and not save her like a damsel in distress for every single thing, both big and small.

That's the thing though, MOST fans considered the stalking/following thing A LOT worse, than the HJP confession scene. So it's more of an mirror of how society thinks than anything.

1. He admits he aint a suitable CEO.

Techinically, he only admits it after HJP slams him for even considering it, and he finally relents. But he did not readily accept it. Plus him giving the reigns of CEO to SDM has more to do about his burgeoning feelings for SDM than her capabilities as one.

2. He praises others because of a great idea.

No, he only praises SDM, which again is tied to his feelings for her. His business decisions have all been solely because of his feelings for SDM and his belief in her. Something that is dangerous in the real world.

3. He don't do jealousy acts just to piss the other party.

The scene in Halmoni's house?

4. He says sorry countless of times because she was hurt.

Once again, it's all SDM centric, and never to other people.

5. Although others may not see it, even though he's jealous, he uses that to improve his craft.

These are some of the things he did in the story.

Yes, he used his jealousy to get an upper hand, which eventually caused SST to break up. 

If your argument is that he does good things for SDM, then I agree, he's a sweeties pie. But a mark of a good person is not how they treat their friends, but how they treat their enemies/strangers.

NDS character doesn't come of as wholly selfless or holistic, and the writer trying to shove this characterization down our throats at such a late stage is feeling quite frightening.

at this point the HJP-NDS divide is really a matter of interpretation though. 

Besides the extremely questionable NDS scenes that just can't be applied irl like the leaving SDM alone in the dark scene, and the ransomware scene - i do not interpret NDS as trying to be the knight in shining armour saving damsel in distress character though. Like he really is just this innocent guy who meets SDM who shares similar passions and visions. 

1. The choosing SDM as a CEO scene is definitely not just because of his feelings. It was being contrasted with WIJ who wanted SST to join HER company. Whereas SDM realises SST's worth as a company on its own and asks if SHE could join their company. That was why NDS chose SDM. 

2. yeah, this was the weird bit of NDS' character - I'll admit. Like why make him so obsessed over a girl he just met? But the same could be said for HJP too imo. He barely knew SDM (the present SDM not the letter 9 year old SDM), and yet he started liking her and even told NDS (which was her boyfriend at that time) that he was willing to trade everything for DalMi...
and driving all the way to save her in ep 9 (isn't that like treating her as the damsel in distress??) and telling her "i want you to think of me first no matter what" in ep 14 when they were just friends??

3. that also could be said for HJP. He dreamt out a whole scene on how to make NDS jealous with the hairband lol. 

4. hmmm not true, NDS said sorry to his parents for lying to them in ep 9 rmb? he also said sorry to HJP in the earlier episodes whenever NDS did a mistake in front of SDM in their "act" (damn, i miss the NDS-HJP bromance) 

5. idk what point 5 means HAHHA

anyways my point is pretty much similar to Zelle's. both characters are actually more equal than most people think, it's just that NDS does not have the typical kdrama lead's tragic backdrop which makes it harder to sympathise with him. and hence, less "justifiable". 

Kristances:
(damn, i miss the NDS-HJP bromance) 

sameeee! also the national anthem scene.. hayyys.

also others may see nds as weak just cause he's crying more than dalmi.. but for me it shows a different kind of vulnerability and the struggle nds has within him. Is it that bad to question yourself and compare to the likes of HJP who you see as someone who has it all. Let's not factor in how NDS has friends and family whilst HJP is an orphan.. but more of as an individual. He doubts himself ever since he acted on the letter NDS and to the countless insults kinda harsh comments from HJP.

Kristances:
Like why make him so obsessed over a girl he just met?

He has very little experience with girls and has the nerdy stereotype of overexplaining things / not knowing how to talk to a girl, so it's understandable he gets super attached to his first real relationship. In the start, he told HJP that he never had a chance to talk to a girl before, so he got really excited over SDM. And when he was talking to Alex, how he said that he'd give up his success for a person; as a guy who was kind of in a similar position, this was very relatable, personally. It's easy to get one-itis when you don't have a lot of experience.

HJP is unmarried in his 30s, and also focused more on his career growth, so I guess a similar thing could be said for him when he mentioned trading his wealth for her.

Yeah ofc, different people have different interpretations. But it appears that on MDL, majority sees it similar to me.

NDS may not be planning on being that Knight in Shining Armor, but the writers have written him as such. Even when there is no need to be, he does it anyway. This is most clearly seen on Demo Day. WIJ, was given a tough tough question by an aggressive heckler in NDS dad, she paused a second, thought about it, then delivered a strong answer. SDM was asked a question that was actually not too difficult, by a less aggressive person in Alex, and she froze. She may have been able to answer eventually, but we'll never know.

1. I felt that was more of NDS way of convincing Yong San and Cheul San. This point is further proved when he later vetoes the SST boys plan to find another CEO. It's akin to saying, "ok guys, i'll do whatever you guys decide" SST chooses same as NDS. SST then changes mind, "Nope, you guys already said yes, no backsies". If he really cared what the other SST boys thought, he would actually look at it from a logical perspective, something he WAS known to do all his life. But instead, he allows emotion to cloud his judgement, which has been happening for most of the series. NDS biggest enemy are his emotions.

2. If HJP is weird in that sense, then SDM is even weirder, blocking potential BF's because of a fake penpal. Difference of HJP and NDS is, if SDM is going to enter the fire, make mistakes, HJP, regardless of his feelings will tell her the brutal truth. It's been shown that regardless of his emotions, he will say the truth, regardless if it hurts. NDS is the complete opposite. He would rather tell sweet lies to avoid the person getting hurt, or sugar coat the truth, then to be honest and just prevent SDM from making the mistake. Big difference here.

3. This is HJP's lowest point, and really to be honest, so inconsistent with his character prior to this scene. I wasn't a fan of this scene.

4.  I have an issue of how NDS treats his parents, it's really ungrateful. In episode 9, after having an emotional scene of how he is failing his parents, literally hours later, he is having good times with SDM's family. Then hours later he is telling his dad "I always disappoint you, no matter how hard I try, or how well I do". This is the blame game, not an apology. Really unfair of NDS here. I actually write a more detailed assessment of NDS and his family in the comment section if you want to read it. 

Yes, in the early episodes, NDS was still good and people was making comments like, "I like both leads, I don't care who SDM ends up with". Then the writers ruined him, and now a majority of fans really dislike NDS.

5. Wasn't sure about Zelles point here as well hahaha!

It may appear equally wrong to you and other NDS fans, but majority of HJP fans feels NDS is on more of a declining slope every episode, while HJP's slope just keeps getting higher and higher. And as I said to zelle, the better the characterization, the easier it is to ignore the faults.

The fact that the NDS supporters have become niche, just goes to show that the writer had a disconnect with the character she created. She did not give him enough mass audience appeal to be likeable, or he gave the second lead too much great characterization.

Take out the sad orphan backstory, and I believe there will still be more HJP fans.

Zelle:

sameeee! also the national anthem scene.. hayyys.

also others may see nds as weak just cause he's crying more than dalmi.. but for me it shows a different kind of vulnerability and the struggle nds has within him. Is it that bad to question yourself and compare to the likes of HJP who you see as someone who has it all. Let's not factor in how NDS has friends and family whilst HJP is an orphan.. but more of as an individual. He doubts himself ever since he acted on the letter NDS and to the countless insults kinda harsh comments from HJP.

I think the show has done a good job of showing that HJP actually does not have it all. And in many ways it is actually NDS who has it all.

NDS isn't weak because of his crying, he is seen as weak because of his soft mental, poor control of his emotions and complete disregard for the consequences of his actions. The non stop crying is just like the cherry on top to be honest.

Well, you can't NOT factor the fact he has a family and friends. If anything, NDS not appreciating he has friends and family is what makes his characterization more negative. HJP on the other hand, NEVER uses the fact he is an orphan as an excuse. In fact, prior to Ep. 1, HJP has never ever mentioned to anyone that he is an orphan, or how hard it was for him growing up.