I just checked and Weightlifting Fairy is now 8.7 for some reason (it was stuck at 8.9 for the past year). Perhaps it was also affected by the latest MDL update. 

Kimsamsoom:
It's weird, that was his personality in ep. 2-4. Then literally the show just drops it, he transforms into the angsty teenager who is wallowing in the trials of his first love, gone is his innocent, naive, and geeky charming persona. Replaced by angsty NDS.

I always thought that was part of him being inexperienced. When things go south in a relationship, it’s easy to become angsty, emotional, fearful of losing your relationship, etc. I don’t think it was a “transformation”, just a natural result of his immaturity.

Same thing for post-timeskip. He comes off as cold, because who wouldn’t be after having to deal with all the emotions of your first love again, after that harsh breakup? But by the end of ep 14 he softens up in the bike trail scene, and you even see him in the self-driving test working with SDM.

Kefkiroth:

I always thought that was part of him being inexperienced. When things go south in a relationship, it’s easy to become angsty, emotional, fearful of losing your relationship, etc. I don’t think it was a “transformation”, just a natural result of his immaturity.

Same thing for post-timeskip. He comes off as cold, because who wouldn’t be after having to deal with all the emotions of your first love again, after that harsh breakup? But by the end of ep 14 he softens up in the bike trail scene, and you even see him in the self-driving test working with SDM.

I'm surprised he forgave her so relatively quickly. He's very forgiving. If I'd been in his place I wouldn't have done it. Three years aren't even long enough for that sort of hurt to fade. Especially if it's your first love. First love is weird. 

And then she came and told him it had hurt her too. Rather unfair of SDM. She hurt him and now she's saying she's hurt? She did deal with the consequences though. That 5 hour trail thing is no joke. 

Kimsamsoom:
NDS isn't weak because of his crying, he is seen as weak because of his soft mental, poor control of his emotions and complete disregard for the consequences of his actions. The non stop crying is just like the cherry on top to be honest.

Is it really weakness? To have such a soft mental poor control of his emotions? 

Kimsamsoom:
Well, you can't NOT factor the fact he has a family and friends. If anything, NDS not appreciating he has friends and family is what makes his characterization more negative. HJP on the other hand, NEVER uses the fact he is an orphan as an excuse. In fact, prior to Ep. 1, HJP has never ever mentioned to anyone that he is an orphan, or how hard it was for him growing up.

How does he not appreciate his family and friends? Does confronting his father equates to unappreciation? It was related to how he views himself and how the guilt is eating him up. He just became truthful when he confronted his father for lying about the exam, the ceo thing, and having this pressure for being his pride and joy. 

Also prior to ep 1, there's no Start-up drama. 

Kimsamsoom:
That's the thing, he didn't retain his awkwardness with girls and social anxiety after episode 5

I don't think he was awkward with girls or has social anxiety, and more of like he doesn't really know how to be romantic to them as how chulsan told about the blood personality scenario during their college life.

Daydreamologist:
He's grown up in an all boys environment. Never got to interact with girls properly. I know what that's like, because it's been the same for me for most of my life. You don't suddenly learn how to be charming once you fall in love. You make mistakes, heaps of them, and that's how you learn what's right and what's wrong. If your relationship survives all those mistakes then there's nothing more to say. You stick to it. 

THIIIIS..

Daydreamologist:
Agreed. 100%. Kim Seon Ho and everyone's younger version actor (aka Nam Da Reum )did a stellar job. I'm glad KSH got the recognition he deserves through this drama. I've noticed him since 100 Days My Prince, and was disappointed he had so few leading roles. 

first saw him in Chief Kim and just realize it was him after his stint here in Start-up hahaha. He was adorkable there esp with his loveline with Chief Kim's secretary hehe

Kimsamsoom:
If it was Injae company being acqhired by 2STO, I am 100% percent sure, WIJ gets pirated along with the twins, because WIJ has shown herself to be a very capable CEO.

Honestly, Alex has already set his eyes to NDS after the CODA. But well it's a what if so maybe that may happened

Kimsamsoom:
But in reality, the writers did such a poor job, I can't imagine any happy ending for HJP. They effectively closed the Halmoni end game, because off NDS introduction to her.

Uhhh no. Even when NDS was introduced, for Halmoni, HJP is still her Good Boy.

Daydreamologist:
HJP is my favourite character, but I don't ship him with Dal Mi. I really really wish he hadn't even fallen for her. A brother-sister relationship would have been way better for those two. But here HJP inexperience with relationship also shows. He needs someone by his side, but that someone isn't Dal Mi. Really, the writer likes love triangles too much. The love triangle in Reply 1988 was extremely well done, and it's how love triangles are supposed to be, but the  one in this drama takes the prize for being the messiest instead. 

Yess. I felt like HJP's feelings for SDM is just overridden with his debt to halmoni. But yeah, it would be better if they just stayed as a mentor-mentee or just a siblings relationship

Daydreamologist:

@Kimsamsoom

Don't judge NJH's acting on this drama. You should see him in Weightlifting Fairy. Sometimes I can't believe he's the same person. Weightlifting Fairy has hands down the most wholesome relationship ever. It hasn't held its 8.9 rating on MDL for nothing, you know. 

His acting in The Light in Your Eyes is superb as well, but that one's a tragedy. 

As for Suzy's other works, I've only seen Dream High and While You Were Sleeping. While You Were Sleeping is good. I can't judge Dream High objectively (well as objectively as it can get)  though because I was a newbie to kdramas then. 

Also love him too in The School Nurse Files even though it's kind of a weird drama hahaha. Since Weightlifting, NJH's been improving (although some hiccups aka The Bride of Habaek). Prior to Weightlifting, I kinda hated him because of School 2015 hahahahha. It's not even his fault but I was salty because Taekwang deserves better (this SLS is far worse than "here" along with Reply '94 and She Was Pretty)

Kefkiroth:

I think the writer didn't do a great job of portraying immaturity versus maliciousness. Or maybe the actor himself didn't do a good job of portraying the emotions of youth, and instead in came out as manipulative. It also probably didn't help NDS was already 27 years old at this time. There was less sympathy all around.

I think maybe making NDS closer to early 20's, having him be more expressive with his emotions and showing him have remorse for his actions would have done wonders for the NDS character.

Him being stuck in the same place for 3 years shows that he lacked character growth in that time. Are we going to keep excusing NDS behavior due to immaturity, when other people his age have grown considerably, just like Yong San? His friend has already apologized to HJP, are we ever going to see NDS do it?

Zelle:
Uhhh no. Even when NDS was introduced, for Halmoni, HJP is still her Good Boy.

There is no forseeable future I can imagine HJP being able to be in Halmoni's life when NDS and SDM are together. 

For example the corn dog stand gift, NDS would just be the one to do it, since apparently SDM doesn't understand HJP and Grandma's history.

The only way this could still work is if SDM and NDS move to SF.

Daydreamologist:
And then she came and told him it had hurt her too. Rather unfair of SDM. She hurt him and now she's saying she's hurt? She did deal with the consequences though. That 5 hour trail thing is no joke. 

5 hour by bike, she walked 20 hours. 

Daydreamologist:

I just checked and Weightlifting Fairy is now 8.7 for some reason (it was stuck at 8.9 for the past year). Perhaps it was also affected by the latest MDL update. 

Maybe because i'm looking for more mature content, I am not enjoying these youth dramas like Start Up. 

The romance in Start Up has reminded me too much of a HS romance, and maybe that is why I can't relate as I seek a more mature and secure romance.

Kimsamsoom:

Maybe because i'm looking for more mature content, I am not enjoying these youth dramas like Start Up. 

The romance in Start Up has reminded me too much of a HS romance, and maybe that is why I can't relate as I seek a more mature and secure romance.

To each his own, then, I suppose. Good luck finding the drama that suits you. 

Still fine to be in the minority..

Zelle:

Still fine to be in the minority..

Yeah :)))) 

Kristances:
wait hold up. People saying NDS portrays blind love and toxic clinginess towards DalMi but HJP too is not that far-off though... Rmbr that scene where he said he would trade everything with DoSan to get Dal Mi's attention? Like including his career and his passion??? Yo, that conversation was PROBLEMATIC!! how can SDM (his mentee, and someone he barely knew) be more important than his own LIFE???

That wasn't my interpretation of the scene at all. I thought (and have always thought) what NDS had that HJP lacked was family (natural and found). And that's what HJP was looking to trade for. A family. Not Dalmi. 

romantic idiot:

That wasn't my interpretation of the scene at all. I thought (and have always thought) what NDS had that HJP lacked was family (natural and found). And that's what HJP was looking to trade for. A family. Not Dalmi. 

But does NDS know that HJP wants a family? He probably knows he's an orphan because of the letters, but I don't think HJP has ever shown NDS that he longs for a family. On the other hand, NDS knows full well that HJP likes Dal Mi. What they were talking about was probably being seen, actually seen by SDM. Something HJP never got, even after being found out as the actual writer of the letters. To think that SDM never really saw HJP as a man is frustrating. HJP never really had a chance after NDS appeared.