This drama has major writing problems beyond Ep 10. I think the writer dragged out the 'love triangle' or whatever because of the popularity HJP character got. It ended up messing the plot badly. So many inconsistencies, my goodness. 

The letters subplot should've been closed around Ep 12 or so. Rest of the way should've been them trying to create a new startup under IJ/ conflict with stepdad/ something else related to startups entirely. In that time, DM should've stayed mad at both boys for lying and flied solo for a while and there should've shown some character development of NDS ONSCREEN. Also SDM and WIJ should've gotten some screen time together along with mother and grandmother in this time. 

Kimsamsoom:
There is just no way, I can foresee a happy ending for HJP, unless we are getting another 3 year time skip, then i'll just laugh out loud of how much lower the drama can go.

I think his happy ending was always meant to be a family which he won't get in 1 episode. It would've been perfect if SDM chooses HJP and he gains a proper family with grandma in it. But too bad. 

There's one more thing here. I can't comprehend HJP's arc in this story. Like what is he supposed to improve or work on. We know that he mitigates risk and plays safe ( a lot). Even Yeong-Sil said to him. Then shouldn't his arc end with him getting more riskier with his life decisions and him swinging for fences. For this shouldn't he confess to her properly and get out rightly rejected by her rather than tell other guy to go and get her? I don't understand what msg is writer trying to impart here?

Solid Snake:
There's one more thing here. I can't comprehend HJP's arc in this story. Like what is he supposed to improve or work on.

That's the problem with the show, it sends the wrong message. Basically the message is, if your rich and successful, then you don't need any more, don't be greedy, let poorer people have more success.

They completely ignore what it took for HJP to get there, or that even with his money, he is unhappy. So from the writers point of view, there is no character growth needed for HJP, which is malarkey.

To be fair, I think in episode 16, he is going to tell her everything, but I also think he is trying to move on as well, which may be the best thing for him. Move to another country and just live in the minds of the many fans he made along the way. But on screen happiness? Unlikely.

Kimsamsoom:
To be fair, I think in episode 16, he is going to tell her everything, but I also think he is trying to move on as well, which may be the best thing for him. Move to another country and just live in the minds of the many fans he made along the way. But on screen happiness? Unlikely.

If this is what his ending is going to be then I definitely need a spinoff or another season with only him and WIJ as leads. Both characters have too much potential but were wasted as background for lukewarm romance. 

Solid Snake:

If this is what his ending is going to be then I definitely need a spinoff or another season with only him and WIJ as leads. Both characters have too much potential but were wasted as background for lukewarm romance. 

agreed :)

Kimsamsoom:

whatever it will be, it won't be satisfactory for sure.

Unless IU cameo :)

maybe jipyung would take a break from everything in a certain hotel del luna :P ehehe

Solid Snake:

I will only watch it if it is written by a different author: v

Kristances:
I just wished they never made HJP in love with SDM- it ruined all of the characters, not just HJP, even NDS and SDM. Imagine if it was just a fun show of the three of them being friends and HJP being their mentor and him finding a family in SST. the rivalry between HJP and NDS was useless and made this show really hard to swallow.

I actually think that if Start-Up went rather with a somewhat platonic love relationship between jipyung and dalmi, it would be just fine?? In a way, they both helped each other out, they became each other's comfort but that doesn't necessarily mean they had to fall in love with one another. We can root for someone's happiness without wishing to be their happiness, sorta that theme.

Solid Snake:
There's one more thing here. I can't comprehend HJP's arc in this story. Like what is he supposed to improve or work on.

Your point is reaaally on spot... From the very beginning, I thought jipyung's arch would simply be about trusting others and letting them help you without feeling like you owe them something (basically, being able to be kind and vulnerable), but that's already been treated off since he seems to now be an addiction to the dalmi's family almost, that means he got some closure, some sort of family-ish ties now.... other than that, his character feels... very much the same.

The writers most definitely wanted to show that sometimes you give up the people you love, or let them go towards something, someone else because you realize that something makes them happy, that they love that something more. But then, that gives the impression that loving is all about sacrifice - which, in a way, it might be, but sacrifice without acknowledgment here is just bottomless pain and cruel....

Kimsamsoom:
That's the problem with the show, it sends the wrong message. Basically the message is, if your rich and successful, then you don't need any more, don't be greedy, let poorer people have more success.

Spot on! He even mentioned already that none of the things he own makes him happy i think

Solid Snake:

OOOOH TVN PLEASE LISTEN TO OUR PRAYERS..... they could definitely cash on that very well, kim seonho's popularity really got boosted, im sure the views wouldn't mind a spin-off although it's very unlikely in my head T^T

It could've been worse.  He didn't move to another country or got run over by a truck of doom. At the end it was just 'love wins all'. What a lovely msg imparted by makers in a business drama...? I'll rewatch this few months later and try to see it in a new light but I'm sure it won't raise my opinion on it too much.

ownes:

maybe jipyung would take a break from everything in a certain hotel del luna :P ehehe

Funny seeing this now given the Yeo Jin Goo cameo

Solid Snake:

I would have been onboard with a HJP and WIJ ship. Especially now that he's solidified his connection to halmeoni and is continuing to invest and be associated with Cheongmyeong / the SST guys. There's no way that he can continue to be involved in their matters without being reminded of DoDal constantly. It's hard to believe he got over her that easily during the last episode, and even if he did, that he would still be comfortable seeing them.

I love it and I am re-watching it!!!

Kefkiroth:

Funny seeing this now given the Yeo Jin Goo cameo

I would have been onboard with a HJP and WIJ ship. Especially now that he's solidified his connection to halmeoni and is continuing to invest and be associated with Cheongmyeong / the SST guys. There's no way that he can continue to be involved in their matters without being reminded of DoDal constantly. It's hard to believe he got over her that easily during the last episode, and even if he did, that he would still be comfortable seeing them.

Yup, this is the unrealistic ending I as hoping to avoid. Oh well... I would rather he moved to SF or another country...

anyone knows the name of the piano track that sounds in the very end of the last episode? between red velvet - future and gaho - running

Yoksetioxd:
anyone knows the name of the piano track that sounds in the very end of the last episode? between red velvet - future and gaho - running

i think that's only a background music, if tvn releases the full ost cd on spotify you might be able to find it

and honestly, jipyung's ending arc was quite sugar coated but if it ended any other way, it would felt... a tad forced??  at this point, any ending would not feel right given his second lead status

ownes:

i think that's only a background music, if tvn releases the full ost cd on spotify you might be able to find it

and honestly, jipyung's ending arc was quite sugar coated but if it ended any other way, it would felt... a tad forced??  at this point, any ending would not feel right given his second lead status

Yeah, I think so too. If they'd given him a rosy ending after all that it would be cringe. He needs more time to find his own HEA. That's why I think they should do a spin-off mini series or something for him only. Like, in a few great episodes, we could see him getting over Dal Mi and finding someone else, someone better suited to his character. There are people shipping him with InJae, but personally, I don't ship it. I like them as co-workers, they're great that way, but it's hard for me to imagine them involved in a romantic way ( don't get me wrong I love In Jae she's awesome). 

The question is, what kind of person do you guys think would suit Ji Pyeong? 

Daydreamologist:

Yeah, I think so too. If they'd given him a rosy ending after all that it would be cringe. He needs more time to find his own HEA. That's why I think they should do a spin-off mini series or something for him only. Like, in a few great episodes, we could see him getting over Dal Mi and finding someone else, someone better suited to his character. There are people shipping him with InJae, but personally, I don't ship it. I like them as co-workers, they're great that way, but it's hard for me to imagine them involved in a romantic way ( don't get me wrong I love In Jae she's awesome). 

The question is, what kind of person do you guys think would suit Ji Pyeong? 

Personally I wanted him to move away. Being forced to be in the same company with the woman who I consider my first love is absolute torture. And I imagine, NDS and SDM during that one year are holding hands every day, even more torture.

Also I didn't think it wasn't fair that HJP didn't even get time to grieve, within a span of a few days, he was expected to be best bros with NDS, and force to sandbox and mentor them further. 

Emotions or not, that's just not a nice way to end HJP's arc. They gave him some crumbs in Human Yong Sil, and Grandma, but his future looks bleak. There was not enough emotional crumbs to assume that HJP will get his happy ending. If anything, there seems to be more indication that he will grow up alone, which is pretty crushing...

And having him literally say the words "I am not the dosan from the letters" as a last ditch unnecessary wingman move to push NDS and SDM even further closer. Then to later have to beg NDS for his investment, they could at least have left HJP with some shred of dignity.

Also I really didn't like how none of the pictures included WIJ or HJP. I mean, even one photo with all of them would have been nice. 

They tried to make it up with a cheesy slow motion video of all of them walking happily. Although it is kind of implied that SDM became more successful than WIJ due to cheong myeong company? And obviously NDS is more successful than HJP. I felt that there was enough happiness to be spread around, but the Main Couple greedily gobbled up all the good slices, and left the crumbs for WIJ and HJP. Disappointing ending.

The way this writer needs to give the ML the most perfect ending possible is a little disappointing. The ending of Start Up is more cloyingly saccharine than any Disney ending, and that is saying a lot.