People say Twinkling Watermelon is a Korean Back to the Future. But the writer used time travel theme already in Chicago Typewriter (2017).

Though most would cite H.G. Wells's 1895 novel The Time Machine as the progenitor of the modern time-travel story, the author wrote an even earlier one, "The Chronic Argonauts," in 1888. Sandwiched between Wells's two time-machine stories was the other founding text of the genre: Mark Twain's 1889 satire A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.  George Pal's classic 1960 adaptation of The Time Machine was the first time-travel film to win an Oscar (for best visual effects). But despite these successes, time travel remained on the fringes of popular culture, only appearing as a plot device in adaptations like Planet of the Apes and Slaughterhouse-Five, or the occasional B-movie like The Time Travelers or Journey to the Center of Time.

The fact that it took so long for a non-adapted time-travel story to become a mainstream hit is a testament to how difficult films like these are to write. Every time-travel tale needs to establish its own internally consistent set of rules, and hardcore genre fans—a notoriously pedantic bunch—will tear apart any story that fails to do so.  It wasn't until the early 1980s that filmmakers like James Cameron (The Terminator), and Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future) discovered an ingenious solution to the near-impossibility of writing a sensical time-travel story: Write a time travel story that's so much fun mainstream audiences won't care about consistency.

Sparkling Watermelon's time travel is consistent as of Ep08. Regardless, Sparkling Watermelon's time travel is simply, what we call in creative writing, a "plot device", it isn't _the_ theme. So, even if there are inconsistencies later, it doesn't really matter.

I think that's the thing that many people miss, how was time travel used. plot device or the central theme?

One more thing, the "hardcore genre fans" you are talking about, as far as time travel shows are concerned, are not necessarily "hardcore genre fans". A true time travel fan will always find a way to explain time travel without resorting to tearing "apart any story that fails to do so"; or using excuses like "writer error" or "lame writer" or whatever.

Unfortunately, in the K-drama land, there are very few us. And so far, I've been there to explain the craziness that most people were confused about, like in Alice and Grid, to mention two.

As far as time travel facts are concerned, we haven't proven anything. So, when it comes to fiction, any time travel fiction is acceptable. The problem is, most people think linearly and cannot grasp time travel fully. Hence, they make statements such as "that's not how time travel works". Again, Alice and Grid, are good examples, and I've explained those two.

Back to topic: Of course, time travel isn't new. Just that, when it comes to pop culture, Back To The Future became the icon of time travel so it is always referenced a lot. However, it is, in my opinion, the worst example because it is too linear. But we cannot blame it because it was meant to appeal to as many audiences as possible. If they made it complex, people wouldn't appreciate it.

And that's the point. Shows like Alice and Grid (again just two examples) are too complex, people dismiss it because they can't understand it. If it was like Back To The Future, it would have appealed easily.

^_^

>. A true time travel fan will always find a way to explain time travel

I disagree with this, I think the best time travel works avoided the need to explain time travel and as a time travel fan I also try to avoid thinking about this as much as possible. Unfortunately there are many shows that try to spoon feed an explanation to me & then my immersion just falls apart.

>Back To The Future became the icon of time travel so it is always referenced a lot. However, it is, in my opinion, the worst example because it is too linear. But we cannot blame it because it was meant to appeal to as many audiences as possible. If they made it complex, people wouldn't appreciate it.

Back to The Future is one of VERY FEW time travel stories where they explain how time travel works, they set clear rules & yet the story still makes sense. I could write a dissertation on why it is a landmark in cinema, but it is true that it has a rather simple plot. Personally I don't think having a complex plot is a requirement for greatness, in fact in the time travel genre more often than not complex plots tend to fall apart.