Apologies if this has been suggested - I checked the list of suggestions and went back about six pages, couldn't find it.

My request is to attach descriptors to star ratings, somewhat similar to what MyAnimeList does.  For example, 10/10 isn't just 10/10, but "Masterpiece", 9/10 is "great", 8/10 is "very good," 7/10 is "good," 6/10 "fine," and so on.  We don't need to use those descriptors, exactly, but something similar.

There are two reasons I make this request.  First, when I am trying to issue my own rating after finishing a movie or series, I find it easier to use the descriptors.  "That was a good series, but do I think it was a great series?" is something I've used often to double-check my own ratings.  Or "that was really, really good, but was it really a masterpiece?"  Here at MDL, I try to think about other series' ratings I've applied and rank them in relation to each other.  It's a bit more nebulous.

The biggest reason I ask for this, though, is rating inflation.  This is subjective, I know, but over at MyAnimeList, series with an average rating above 6/10 are fair game.  Here at MDL, I find that K-dramas need an average rating above 7/10 to have a chance at being worthwhile, while I am coming to the conclusion that C-Dramas need a rating of 8/10 or higher to have a shot at being worthwhile (and yes, duration of time something has been out and the total number of reviewers does add or remove some weight to these numbers).  When I read through some of the comments, I've found people issuing high ratings while stating that they didn't like the series or think it was that great.  Having labels to the ratings won't automatically fix that - some people are going to rate highly just because a favorite actor or actress is in a series, or because it is their way of showing support for some other aspect of the production - but I think it might help to standardize things a bit, and would hopefully help people to be a bit more honest in their ratings.

I've found so many wonderful series through this website that I would not have heard of otherwise, and I'd like to think that this website has also steered me clear of some series that would not have led to as much enjoyment as others.  As someone with limited time who probably averages about 2-4 series per year, I really value that.  I'd like to rate more easily, and have others offer more grounded ratings, too.

Thank you for your consideration.

0votes