b2uty:

Who is Poom? 

Poom is Gulf's real girlfriend. They have decided to reduce their time together/break up because of their "busy schedules" but it changes nothing. MewGulf can only work as long as there is a chance that Gulf can actually fall in love with Mew. Unlike the BL world, Poom ends that chance. So now Mew & Gulf seems more appropriate. 

Bayamon_Hill:

Poom is Gulf's real girlfriend. They have decided to reduce their time together/break up because of their "busy schedules" but it changes nothing. MewGulf can only work as long as there is a chance that Gulf can actually fall in love with Mew. Unlike the BL world, Poom ends that chance. So now Mew & Gulf seems more appropriate. 

Actually, it can only work, as you said, if Gulf can fall in love with Mew and if Mew can fall in love with Gulf, why are you giving Mew for granted?!?! I still don't get why you're saying Poom ended that chance, I think now there's more possibilities of MewGulf than ever. Oh well, I ship them but it won't be the end of the world if they don't end up together, I just want them to be happy and to maintain this friendship for a long time!!!!

Just_Me_Now:

Actually, it can only work, as you said, if Gulf can fall in love with Mew and if Mew can fall in love with Gulf, why are you giving Mew for granted?!?! I still don't get why you're saying Poom ended that chance, I think now there's more possibilities of MewGulf than ever. Oh well, I ship them but it won't be the end of the world if they don't end up together, I just want them to be happy and to maintain this friendship for a long time!!!!

You said it very well. We love both Mew and Gulf and it really does not matter if they are in a relationship or not or if they even have chances or not. That was too childish to say that a girl ended the chance for them. I just hope they maintain this relationship for a long time, support each other and have a successful career in BL or elsewhere. 

Anyways the way mew and gulf are seen flirting these few days, I just hope that if it's for fan service they don't go over the top, maybe I am the only one who must be saying this. But I guess it gives fans false hope which I think is not good for their future career in the long run.

Hmmmmm .... this has been an interesting conversation!  As I mentioned above, I don't follow social media at all, and I've only seen a couple of videos of Mew and Gulf - videos which I found very charming because they seemed to reveal these two actors themselves as very charming - warm, amusing, funny, and ... seemingly very fond of each other.

But I have picked up on the reality that people care very much what sort of real relationship the two men could have - may be having - or do have, out here, off-scree, in the "real world". And in this context, I gather, the possibility of a girlfriend called Poom suddenly looms large. That is, maybe Gulf has a girlfriend, Poom, and that would mean there is no real possibiity of Mew/Gulf - and that would distress many people.

I've been thinking about this a lot. It's far too easy to say that we, the viewers and fans, should remember that Tharn and Type are fictional characters, and should accept that the actors are utterly different human beings with their own private lives. The world isn't that simple. There are good reasons why many people care about the (possible) real lives of Mew and Gulf. I understand those reasons and sympathise with that caring ... and so I guess I make an effort to stay away from the reality of Mew's and Gulf's lives. I'm not not on social media, and up till now I've paid no attention to "Mew and Gulf (Mew/Gulf, MewGulf, Mew & Gulf!) news. But I know I care it as much as anyone else and I've just been protecting myself.

I think it's like this for me - and maybe for others too:  Tharn and Type are two exciting, compelling characters. Their love story is engrossing, moving, powerful - we love the intense scenes of their interaction, we want them to be together, we're profoundly involved. That's what drama is all about. But additionally, this is a kind of love we've almost never seen on the screen until very, very recently - this is two men together. It therefore means: struggle. These two guys have to struggle - to be themselves, to recognise their love, to express it, to defend it, to tell the truth to each other and to the world. In many countries very near Thailand, their love is completely illegal. They are up against it - to be two men in love with each other is a really dramatic adventure. It's making something visible and real which until very, very recently was absolutely invisible, not talked about, silenced out of existence. Therefore the TharnType story has so many more dimensions of drama and meaning than a comparable man-woman romance.

And therefore we care very intensely about the real-life positions of the writers and of the actors. We do not want the writers to hint that they see this gay romance as in any way inferior or problematic or tragic or wrong. We want to feel that the writers are proudly part of the same struggle, working hard to tell a true, meaningful, dramatic story about two guys who are in love. And we also want to believe that the two actors are fully in touch with that struggle, fully open to the complete possibility and maybe reality of same-sex love and romance. I think maybe that's a point that bayamon_hill is making? It's not as simple as:  Mew and Gulf are "really" gay and "really" in a relationship. That's not the point. It's something different:  Mew and Gulf are fully open to this kind of life, it's 100% meaningful to them, they COULD be in a relationship, they MIGHT fall in love with each other.  They are CAPABLE of sharing/experiencing the beautiful, intense, romantic reality they show on the screen.

I realise that I too want to believe in that openness, that possibility.  If I hear (for instance) Mew and Gulf say that they have to make a big effort to "imagine" they are two men in a gay relationship, or if they insist that they are "pretending" in some way that the other is a girl (something that many straight actors say to stress their heterosexual identity), or indeed if I hear about their "girlfriends in real life", then yes, it's a .... let-down, a disappointment. It's as though they're saying:  it's all pretend, we don't believe in it, it's not something that has any meaning for us.  Ultimately it can even sound like:  reality is heterosexual - gay love is a fantasy. And I, like so many others (most of whom are not gay!), do not want to encounter that message.  We need to believe that the actors fully sympathise with the struggle which people in same-sex relationships have to engage in throughout their lives. We want to feel that the actors give themselves fully to their roles and are likewise fully open to the reality of the love they depict on screen. It's about possibility, openness, commitment, solidarity.  I don't want to know whether they are "really" in a relationship. But I also don't want to be forced to accept "realities" which close down that possibility. 

There's a lot of great stuff in your response jarabaa. As an American, I can attest that there is almost nothing like BL here and so it is appealing to see so many depictions of men falling in love, most times in the most innocent and mundane ways saved for heterosexual couples. The stories of the shows are also mundane, i.e. guys in high school or college doing almost nothing except going to classes, hanging out and eating. It's easy to just see the lives of the actors as additional scenes from the shows or vice versa. That's why there are so many "shipped" actor couples (paired because of their gay characters in BL dramas). KristSingto. TayNew. OffGun. PerthSaint. PoddFluke, and of course MewGulf. 

The more BL I watched, however, the more I became concerned with the idea that it was easier to play gay in a BL show than to be gay in Thailand, and that, indeed, there might be gay actors who are allowed to be themselves more on-screen than off. I didn't like the idea that there were gay actors who were making deals with the Devil for small-scale fame at the expense of their happiness. It stunk of old Hollywood - think Carey Grant and Rock Hudson. Given that, any sign that an actor might actually be blissfully in love in a gay relationship made me ecstatic for him and for changing attitudes in Thailand. 

Based on previous research, it is almost certain that Mew, who plays Tharn, is in fact gay. So, I wanted him to be able to be happy in a gay relationship, not just on-screen but in real life too. When Gulf really seemed to be receptive as Mew's partner, I was over-joyed that this lovable man, both as Tharn and as himself, would be rewarded in fiction and in reality. Then came Poom. 

Her appearance in the story of MewGulf is right out of television drama, except in the real world, guys with girlfriends don't leave them for guys. So, I'm heartbroken for Mew, and I'm heartbroken that homosexuality is a ploy to make money from fawning girls who shell out thousands in support of guys who presumably would have no romantic interest in them. (That part of BL is a topic for a different day.) In conclusion, I'm saddened by Poom's appearance into what looked like a Fairytale Romance come to life. But as you wrote, "gay love is a fantasy."

Just popping this here as a placeholder. Translation of Mames live earlier and when the boxset etc will be available

Ok summary from the P Mame live:

1. EP 13 online will be early Feb.
2. Boxset after the meet, pre order start on 10 Feb. It is a flash drive ( I have no idea what kind)
3. Prices of both will be UNDER 1000 THB
4. Boxset contain both EP13, behind& cut scene.

5. Will boxset be available internationally - they are still looking for someone or a company that can help them sell to oversea fans.
6. The fanmeet on the 9th will allow cameras.
7. There is as yet no plan for DVD of fanmeet

Just in case anyone hasn’t seen this. MewGulf Reaction to Ep 11  with subs

https://youtu.be/hKbVG-_Zzxo

In case anyone missed the comments below the special episode in now available to pre order on Vimeo today. It airs 7am ET Today

You can purchase with debit or credit card now and once it airs PayPal will also be added

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/tharntypetheseriesep

May I ask where the series was filmed especially where Type is from. I love seeing the location where everything is because I am kinda of have a soft spot on beautiful scenery especially ones that have the sea in it. 

Would love to know the name of hotel that Type’s family owns so I can stay there when I go to Thailand later in my life and also the scene where they were on top of the cliff confessing each other all over again 

is this still active? PLEASE I NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO

I was just about to ask the same thing !

okay well since we're both active then we need to be friends and talk about tharntype

I finished the series yesterday but I'm still not over it.  I've seen a bunch of other BL series but this one pulled me in with each episode.

Yes it’s still active although a lot of chat is happening on the TT season 2 page also now that we know we are lucky enough to be getting that :) 

I am planning to rewatch the first series again soon. I have pre ordered the calendar and am patiently waiting for the box set now. 

What did you both enjoy about the series? :)

Has anyone here read the complete novel series? I thought I heard that season 1 was based off of novels 1 & 2. Season two is coming soon and yes I will watch it once it is uploaded with english substitles, however unfortunately Imainly watch dramas with happy endings. So if you have read the complete novel series, then yes I am asking do Tharn and Type stay together in the end and live happily ever after???? If not I think that there will be some disappointed fans.