I saw a post by a Lee Min Ho's Instagram fan account that TKEM has raked the 19th place of the 20 currently most-watched series on Netflix worldwide (the only K-drama that makes it to the list).

I also saw a comment by another user saying they come to MDL to vent their frustrations or excitement since Netflix does not have comments section LOL.

Do you think international rating matter as much, or more than the local rating for K-dramas since Netflix has also started to join in and air them concurrently?

bubal:

I would say, maybe yes? My only concern is that Netflix will start "westernizing" dramas, which is NOT the reason we watch dramas. If I wanted a westernized plot/filming/editing, I'd watch an American show and wouldn't be here... I don't think international rating should matter as much as local ones. After all, at the beginning it's a Korean drama made by Koreans for Koreans. We just happened to have access to internet and watch them too.

exactly!!! i'm glad that i'm not the only one 

bubal:

I would say, maybe yes? My only concern is that Netflix will start "westernizing" dramas, which is NOT the reason we watch dramas. If I wanted a westernized plot/filming/editing, I'd watch an American show and wouldn't be here... I don't think international rating should matter as much as local ones. After all, at the beginning it's a Korean drama made by Koreans for Koreans. We just happened to have access to internet and watch them too.

so for this show, very terrible ratings in Korea are generally in agreement with the sentiment of the many of us international fans who find this drama to be a 'flop' LOL.

so what about dramas that have low ratings in Korea but are actually good and loved internationally?

bubal:

For that everyone thinks the same. And I was so mad at them after what they did to Vagabond.

bubal:

Agreed. WE, the International fans should just be thankful that we were able to access these  dramas. I say, leave the Korean's to decide if they like the drama or not. Some international fans like to shove their opinions and critize when Koreans aren't interested to the dramas they like. Their house, their rules. 

Hanzi:

For that everyone thinks the same. And I was so mad at them after what they did to Vagabond.

Vagabond, however, was a good and very addictive drama. You bindge watch it in 2 days.
It was sometimes silly and absurd, but the audience was not receptive to the writers' second-degree humour. It wasn't the first time they had written self-parody stories, with a lot of derision. The whole drama is a delirium. A bit like "The Last Empress".

Miro :

Agreed. WE, the International fans should just be thankful that we were able to access these  dramas. I say, leave the Korean's to decide if they like the drama or not. Some international fans like to shove their opinions and critize when Koreans aren't interested to the dramas they like. Their house, their rules. 

THIS.

Baek In Ho:

I saw a post by a Lee Min Ho's Instagram fan account that TKEM has raked the 19th place of the 20 currently most-watched series on Netflix worldwide (the only K-drama that makes it to the list).

I also saw a comment by another user saying they come to MDL to vent their frustrations or excitement since Netflix does not have comments section LOL.

Do you think international rating matter as much, or more than the local rating for K-dramas since Netflix has also started to join in and air them concurrently?

Has anyone found a source for that claim about Netflix ranking? Besides the per-country top 10, I've not seen anything that states any ranking within Netflix. 

I've seen rankings based on other sources, like top 150ish shows on Netflix based on Rotten Tomatoes score (I thought it said Kingdom 2 is the top-rated Korean show on that list) but that's it. 

LBPG:

Has anyone found a source for that claim about Netflix ranking? Besides the per-country top 10, I've not seen anything that states any ranking within Netflix. 

I've seen rankings based on other sources, like top 150ish shows on Netflix based on Rotten Tomatoes score (I thought it said Kingdom 2 is the top-rated Korean show on that list) but that's it. 

The fan account made a screenshot of top 20 worldwide CW shows on Netflix where TKEM is 19th place. I don't have Netflix to figure out that.

The Instagram account is: @leeminho_indo.

Baek In Ho:

Well in my opinion international success matters  more in South Korea

I have some points in my mind I will try to write down although I am not good at explaining plus my English language skills are very basic 

hallyu or international popularity has a huge part in Korea's economy.they earn much from international viewers and music listeners so they pay attention to hallyu stars you guys must have noticed one thing Korean Artists who survive for years in industry are mostly hallyu stars you can take example of super Junior also Korean beauty industry is becoming huge just because of their hallyu stars and their relationship is becoming good with other countries because those countries common people like Korean celebrities and they are huge in numbers they are interested in South Koreans that means Koreans import export business is becoming more and more successful

As you all people know that Korea produce many singers and actors every year.there is so much talent and so much competition in drama and music industry so survival in this kind of industry is very difficult specially when Korean people don't bear a little mistake of their celebrities) so international fans are not just important for Korean economy but also for artists 

Drama production also have advantage in international popularity because if their drama is in demand outside of Korea they can earn so much by selling rights so even if ratings don't go well and their drama have international popularity so they are in no loss at all

Also drama production can receive money for their production from those brands who are interested in becoming international or other international brands 

I think  because international popularity is so important in Korea that's why they have special award for them (hallyu star award) 

Anyway these are just my personal thoughts and I have many more thoughts like that on international popularity vs domestic popularity.In my opinion international popularity is really a big thing specially in Korea

As for this drama I think it's surely popular internationally but it's also doing good domestically 

My first thought on ratings were also that it's really low but later on I realised that even if ratings are not really good but it's not bad also there is even 3% ratings for some currently airing korean dramas and even they are not called flop 

Plus I have a feeling that this drama was made to attract international viewers because those who are working on it they must be already aware of these ratings because these kind of dramas are not for everyone not everyone like fantasy Gener plus it's really hard plot to follow (to me it's really worth watching) plus the reason they chose min ho is also because they wanted to make it big internationally and min ho also chose this because he wanted to do a project which not just his domestic fans but also his fans from all over the world can enjoy  because everyone was waiting for him so I think that is also the reason despite the low ratings all of crew and cast members are calm and focusing on their work and being top 20 on Netflix must be a good news for them

bubal:

I don't think Netflix would westernize it because they want to make more profit by bringing foreign kdrama or films to the world. They want sometime that is totally new. Global business always make more profit than local business. So, kdrama or films aren't only made for Koreans but for everyone in the world. If the films or kdrama are only for local, budget would be not high and there would be less funder because local business doesn't make as much profit as global/international.

So, in my opinion, International/global/world rating/air rating is more important than only one country. Actors/actresses would want to act for global audience too. I don't think they only acted for one country. BTW, most people are busy so don't have time to watch when the show is air so air rating is probably the most inaccurate one out of any other rating.

High air rating are probably for interesting, funny or easy to follow stories/shows.

Baek In Ho:

The fan account made a screenshot of top 20 worldwide CW shows on Netflix where TKEM is 19th place. I don't have Netflix to figure out that.

The Instagram account is: @leeminho_indo.

I couldn't find the post, but I searched and searched, and all i see are per-country rankings. Reelgood.com has rankings for Netflix and there's nothing korean in the top 50, so ..? I've seen that ranking quoted in many places now, and no source. :s

The westernization of K-dramas by Prime and Netflix has already occurred to some degree...guns, violence, bloody scenes.  Violence is not unique to the West by any means though.  As for ratings I think international ratings are relevant nowadays.  Korea is on the entertainment map, so to speak, since BTS made it big outside Korean boundaries.  The dramas have been around for a much longer time of course, but access has definitely expanded.  As for TKEM, I love it.  I love the complexity.  I am pretty good at plots but this one is definitely a puzzler!  A drama portraying E=MC2. ; )