I started watching The Disguiser and I'm really intrigued. However, I know barely anything about the history of that time. I'm confused by how many sides there are, what each side is fighting for and who is on what side/what characters are on what side. Can anyone explain? Thanks!

i'm just like you. but I know later on:

KMT/ Kou Ming Tang : Chinese nationalists (Ming Tai and Wang Tian Feng's side). 

Communist: Chinese nationalists too (nationalist here i'm not sure but I mean the broad term like whoever love their country sometimes they sound extreme)

~note~ KMT and Communists fight the Japanese and New government. So KMT and the Communists have a common enemy here. They can or might work together later on.

Japanese: They work with the New Government.

New Government: Chinese work under Japanese (A.K.A Wang Man Chun, Liang Zhong Chun's  side)

Side Note: this is my first drama about this topic and era and I rolled my eyes when lead characters say "country before family" speeches. I find that too extreme, makes me feel awkward, almost sounds like a propaganda show, but probably around that time/era speeches like that is realistic. My benefit of the doubts is that the director of this drama wants it to be realistic.

Thank you both for sharing :)

I just finished Rookie Agent Rouge (great sino-japanese war period drama) and it got my fascinated, and that is how I found this drama. I already LOVE Hu Ge, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this drama.

Are the dramas that take place during Sino-Japanese war (WW2) considered "Republic" Dramas?

kimberly, I have no idea about that. It depends on the years like 1900 til 45, or 1945 til onwards. 

Or it depends on the clothings. 

like what is this clothing and era of this drama http://fastdrama.co/siege-in-fog? Her skirt is very wide. 

I haven't watched many republic dramas. The Disguiser is the only one I had watched. 

yuyamatsushitafan:

kimberly, I have no idea about that. It depends on the years like 1900 til 45, or 1945 til onwards. 

Or it depends on the clothings. 

like what is this clothing and era of this drama http://fastdrama.co/siege-in-fog? Her skirt is very wide. 

I haven't watched many republic dramas. The Disguiser is the only one I had watched. 

Thank you! I never really read much on what happened AFTER the last Qing emperor was dethroned, I like to mainly watch the period dramas that takes place before Mao ZeDong period, but I was watching Rookie Agent Rouge and thought it was so amazing, that's how I ended up starting the Disguiser. I'm adding Siege in Fog to my PTW, once they get more episodes subbed. 

Hi kim, 

Do you like the Disguiser? I like it but it has its cons. It's so addicting in the middle and it's impactful coz it is my first drama of that subject/topic Or it is impactful just coz I love Wang Kai's role and Wang Man Chun's makeup. What a pretty face she has.  

I didn't like Siege in Fog and dropped it. I kinda can spot unequal portrayal (male dominance ) easily now that I can't bare to watch that kind of materials. 

yuyamatsushitafan:

Hi kim, 

Do you like the Disguiser? I like it but it has its cons. It's so addicting in the middle and it's impactful coz it is my first drama of that subject/topic Or it is impactful just coz I love Wang Kai's role and Wang Man Chun's makeup. What a pretty face she has.  

I didn't like Siege in Fog and dropped it. I kinda can spot unequal portrayal (male dominance ) easily now that I can't bare to watch that kind of materials. 

I actually have The Disguiser on hold at the moment. I really love costume/historical dramas and started the Flame's Daughter and Legend of Zu Mountain lol. 

I watch the Disguiser when I'm in my room because it's on Netflix. It moves at a really weird pace compared Rookie Agent Rouge. I love Wang Kai and seriously wish I could just have him in all the scenes. Lol. 

I'm watching this http://qdrama.biz/cn180325/  (not a historical) without sub right now - very good - can't understand tho

https://dramacool9.io/drama-detail/only-side-by-side-with-you

oh, it has sub now u should watch

I've only watched a handful of Republic era, dramas. Just curiuos - Did women play a huge role in real life, or is it only in these dramas? For example, in Rookie Agent Rouge, Feng Manna was a chief/general and even in The Disguiser, Wang Manchun is also a high level agent for 76.