Queen of Tears Historical (pre-2018) Time Line UPDATED 4/26/24

According to statements made by the characters, these are the "facts" thru Episode  6  8. 14 I will edit as future episodes may add or revise.   certain years are problematic because of the classic Korean method of identifying someone's age.  

1990 (33 years ago):   “Oh Sun-yeong” was arrested/ imprisoned [2-1-90] for adultery and gave birth behind bars.  She gave birth to a son (aka Yoon Eun Seong) on August 8th.  Special Note:  under Korean Law in 1990, it was a spouse who could charge a person for adultery.  Therefor (if the drama is accurate), she was married, had an affair which resulted in her son, and her then-husband sued her for adultery.  

ALSO:  Hong Hae In born on August 22,  the same year because according to tvN they are bot 34 years old [which I presume to be the classic Korean method of determining age]

NOTE:  Eun Seong was born just a handful of days before Hae-in.  

1993 (30 years ago):  Oh Sun-yeong “died” in October 1993 documented via death certificate and “Moh Seol Hee” (Mistress Bitch) Madwoman Moh) reportedly became Chairman’s mistress - or, at a minimum became involved with Hong family and eventually the Queens Scholarship fund 

1999:  When Hae-in was nine years old, her older brother Hong Su Won died in a “mysterious boat accident”.  Hae-in almost drowned; Eun-seong claimes to be her rescuer, but in fact it was Hyun-woo. Mad Moh was also there.

July 1, 2000 (23 years ago) – one year after the boat accident, (i) Chairman visited  Evergreen Hope Orphanage and he was accompanied by Hae-in, Soo-cheol and Mistress Bitch.  He gave a talk about  Napoleon and a young Cheon Da-hye  presented him with a wreath.  Eun Seung, a Queens scholarship recipient,  was 11 (almost 12) years old. [I am 95% certain that Uncle Beom-seok was also there]

July 6, 2000, Eun-seung was accused of killing  a dog.

2001/2002 :  At the age of 12, Eun-seong was adopted by a US couple.  They were Korean and not rich, but soon after he was adopted, they moved to a bigger house and Eun Seong was enrolled in an expensive private school "Hill Crawford Academy" where tuition was $60,000.  

2003 (20 years ago): Events really begin to happen!   Grandmother Yang Mi-suk (who drank like a fish) died of a heart attack. Uncle Hong Beom-seok (Hae-in's uncle)  attempted to take over Queens Group while his father [Grandfather Hong Man Dae] was locked up in prison. Uncle was expelled from the family and Queens Group "over 19 years ago".  Mistress Bitch moved into Queens Town. 

2007 (16 years ago):   Baek Hyun Woo  transferred to a Korea-Japan Foreign Language High School  in Seoul. Hong Hae In  left the Korea-Japan Foreign Language High School moved to the USA to continue her education.

2008(?) (15 years ago) Grace Goh/Advisor Goh began to work for Hong family using the internet/fortune-telling to influence Hae-in's mother, Kim Seon Hwa.  

2013 (Ten Years ago);  The Hope Evergreen Orphanage “went up in flames ten years ago.  The director passed away too.” CONFIRMED;  Madwoman Moh caused her death.

2017 (Six Years ago):  Moh Seul Hee pre-ordered a limited edition watch in a store in Manhatten New York City  (Graduation present anyone?????).

Unknown:  Right before he graduated from University, Eun Seong’s adoptive parents very conveniently died in a drunk driving car accident which was odd since neither of them were drinkers.  . CONFIRMED: Madwoman Moh caused their death.  CONFIRMED: Madwoman Moh caused their death.

2018 (Five Years ago): Hae-in returns to Korea from her studies abroad (Christmas).  Grandfather’s “safekeeper” Song Jeong-beom begins embezzling funds and for 5 years the outside auditor (”Hwang byeong-u”) never reported a problem to Director Jo Hyeong-myeong.

Wow, thank you so much for this.  

Wait what, if Hae-In’s Brother died in the mysterious drowning accident in 1998 and Hae-In was 9 Years Old, then in 2007 Hae-In should be 18 Years Old???

BaekduKitty:

Wait what, if Hae-In’s Brother died in the mysterious drowning accident in 1998 and Hae-In was 9 Years Old, then in 2007 Hae-In should be 18 Years Old???

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy - when I began to work on an update (just posted) I tried to align the dates with the tvN web site  information and finally gave up.  So, I decided to simply rely on specific statements mentioned and documents  in the drama.  

For instance, according to Oh Sun Yeong's prison records, she gave birth on 1990 08 08 (could be 18th, not clear).  The drama takes place in the spring/summer of 2023.  Thus, in 2023 , Eun Seong should be turning 33 in August.  But the tvN site says he and Hae-in are both 34 years old.  So, perhaps based upon the classic Korean system of specifying someone's  age (something that I have struggled to understand) it makes sense but I''m not going to attempt it.  ?

Kathryn_51   You are amazing putting together a timeline. I was wondering about the reference to losing a child, you let me know it could have been may be a murder of brother? may be a suspect could be?   Yoon Eun Seong? Suspect may be killed adopted parents may be crazy psychopath maybe several family conspirators he has recruited. I am so hoping for  her brain tumor to be fake or to be cured however each episode  it looking more like she will not survive   I do not like drama where a lead dies in the end hoping for a miracle {:o}XC on episode 6

this explanation on eunsung's scheme is passing through my timeline. maybe it could add or confirm something?

ymynym:
maybe it could add or confirm something?

I think it confirms everything that I put in the timeline - the five years of embezzlement, Director jo's involvement, etc.  That has been clear since episode 4 or 5.  The one item I didn't know was  that it was FIVE years ago apparently that Eun Seong brought Advisor Grace into the scheme.

So, alll connected to when Hae-in returned from her "studies abroad"

And, I have not seen Episode 9 (will release on netflix soon) but as I've commented from time to time before,  I don't think Grace is aware of how the Mistress is related to  Eun Seong!  But I think we'll find out this weekend. one way or another if Grace stays or leaves.  

Kathryn_51 Wow! thank you for sharing this timeline.  It really helps me understand the flashbacks scenes. Can't wait to see eps. 9 today.

Kathyrn_51 -  Love the timeline.  Thanks for putting it together.  

Mok Seul Hee killed Yoon Eun Seong’s Adoptive parents and the orphanage director because they mistreated him (sourced from queen of tears ep12)

BaekduKitty:

Mok Seul Hee killed Yoon Eun Seong’s Adoptive parents and the orphanage director because they mistreated him (sourced from queen of tears ep12)

Thanks for reading.  I posted my wild crazy theory about Eun Seong's father as a separate topic and I've maintained Mad Moh's Suspect Body Count over there - it's a long list and we now should add the real estate scammer I guess.  My Crazy Theory about Eun Seong’s father (Spoilers) - Untitled Park Ji Eun Project - MyDramaList 

But I do need to update this timeline (pre-2018) as well.  

Update 4/46/24