I just came to say I finally watched the movie, although with no english subs, but at least I understand the context because of the novels. At the end I just ended up crying really bad, I really missed them, Hira and Kiyoi (Riku and Yusei to). This movie was so beautiful 😭✨

I heard that there was no kissing in the movie.  Is that true?  If so, I'd be surprised cuz Kiyio did a kiss in season 2.  Well, either way it's such a unique story and the boys have chemistry, so I know I'll love it with or without a kiss!

Maggi64:

I heard that there was no kissing in the movie.  Is that true?  If so, I'd be surprised cuz Kiyio did a kiss in season 2.  Well, either way it's such a unique story and the boys have chemistry, so I know I'll love it with or without a kiss!

Lol, no. If anything, the first review that appeared soon after the premiere from a person who saw the movie in a theater complained about too much kissing.

Wow, too much kissing!  Now I am down for that.  I wonder why this other person said there was not even one kiss.  How odd.   

Maggi64:

Well, now to think of it. If you refer to kisses in the lips. There weren't any till the end. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a great movie, because I really enjoyed it that forgot that detail lol

Yep, I heard that there was no open mouth true kissing.  It seems to me that the kid who plays Kiyoi might have a problem with this.  I noticed in Season One that Hira really went for it in the final scene, but Kiyo's mouth was clamped shut.  But then he did a realistic kiss in Season Two.  

To be clear, I don't think a kiss makes or breaks a movie, but if it's a romance there should be a kissing scene just as there are in hetero romances.   Basically, if couples kiss in hetero romances, they should do so in gay romances too.   

Hetero romances usually have multiple kissing scenes, whereas I've noticed that BL's will only have one kiss per the whole season.  I call it the "One Kiss Quota."   Season one and two fit the One Kiss Quota.   Sounds like the movie also fit the One Kiss Quota, lol.

Maggi64:

Yep, I heard that there was no open mouth true kissing.  It seems to me that the kid who plays Kiyoi might have a problem with this.  I noticed in Season One that Hira really went for it in the final scene, but Kiyo's mouth was clamped shut.  But then he did a realistic kiss in Season Two.  

To be clear, I don't think a kiss makes or breaks a movie, but if it's a romance there should be a kissing scene just as there are in hetero romances.   Basically, if couples kiss in hetero romances, they should do so in gay romances too.   

Hetero romances usually have multiple kissing scenes, whereas I've noticed that BL's will only have one kiss per the whole season.  I call it the "One Kiss Quota."   Season one and two fit the One Kiss Quota.   Sounds like the movie also fit the One Kiss Quota, lol.

Yeah, there weren't lip kissing through out the movie. But in the end there was real intense mouth to mouth kissing, well at least from my point of view. And I feel that the other spicy scenes make up for the lack of kisses in the movie haha

I just saw the movie but the subs were terrible and thus I am confused about something. Can someone tell me how Hira knew where to find Kiyoi and Anna's  fan at the end?   You can tell me under a spoiler tag.  Thx!

The kidnapper wanted Anna to come so he called her from Kiyoi's phone, and she told Hira and the agency.

Can you help me and explain something please?

I would like to read the novel but I do not understand the way the translations are marked.

lollipop has got 7 chapters translated.

White lotus translated 3.5 chapters out of 5. As marked on the Chrysantemum site. 

What does this correspond to? Are these chapters only from the first book? Or is every chapter a different book? What is it please? I know there are three books plus some side stories called Interlude. 

Wait where are yall watching the movie what

Giuca:

Can you help me and explain something please?

I would like to read the novel but I do not understand the way the translations are marked.

lollipop has got 7 chapters translated.

White lotus translated 3.5 chapters out of 5. As marked on the Chrysantemum site. 

What does this correspond to? Are these chapters only from the first book? Or is every chapter a different book? What is it please? I know there are three books plus some side stories called Interlude. 

All the novels (except Interlude obviously) are divided in 4-5 large parts with no real chapters inside them. For example, the first novel is 4 parts plus a short story called "Chestnut" which, I believe, initially was a bonus story you get if you buy the book from certain retailers, but now it's included in every edition. The second novel has four parts, including a prologue and an epilogue, and some editions also come with another short story, which you can also read in Interlude. The third novel also consists of 4 parts.
Since each part is huge, all translators just divide them as they see fit, and people perceive that as chapters. Both Lollipop and White Lotus are still translating the first book "Utsukushii Kare"

NhuTamLy1210:

Wait where are yall watching the movie what

Look through the comments on the movie page.

Thank you for answering,SaffronMilk. I find these web novels and their translations confusing. I do appreciate the work the fan translators are doing but I like reading the finished book and waiting for months  or even years for the translation to be completed is a torture for me. Semantic Error has been in translation mode for over three years now. I want to read it but... The same thing i with this one: I would love to read it but what if the translators drop it for whatever reason before it is completed?

Was the original book published on paper in Japan or does it exist only on the net? Has it been officially published anywhere else? How does that work for books only published on the internet? 

I should probably just take korean and japanese language classes!

Sometimes I wish I had never discovered this world: it is so frustrating when you do not speak the language!

I get your frustration, but translating is usually a very thankless job, honestly. You typically work all alone and pour up to hundreds of hours into it (it takes much longer than it seems when you want to handle the source text with the proper care) and might get just a handful of thanks in return. Unless you fall in love with the process or find some people whose gratitude and enthusiastic discussion make it worthwhile, it's very easy to give up or push it to the back of your to-do list.

Regarding the books, the series is as official as you can get :) There're paper volumes and ebook editions, you can buy both on Japanese Amazon and other book retailers. It didn't start as a web novel, and Nagira Yuu, the author, has been a professional novelist for many years (two of her non-BL works have won the Japanese Booksellers award for a best novel). The series was officially published in Vietnam and Taiwan, and maybe in South Korea and Thailand too, but I never saw any mentions of official European language editions.

Saffron_Milk:
I get your frustration, but translating is usually a very thankless job, honestly. You typically work all alone and pour up to hundreds of hours into it (it takes much longer than it seems when you want to handle the source text with the proper care) and might get just a handful of thanks in return. Unless you fall in love with the process or find some people whose gratitude and enthusiastic discussion make it worthwhile, it's very easy to give up or push it to the back of your to-do list.

Regarding the books, the series is as official as you can get :) There're paper volumes and ebook editions, you can buy both on Japanese Amazon and other book retailers. It didn't start as a web novel, and Nagira Yuu, the author, has been a professional novelist for many years (two of her non-BL novels have won the Japanese Booksellers award for a best novel). The series was officially published in Vietnam and Taiwan, and maybe in South Korea and Thailand too, but I never saw any mentions of official European language editions.

I admire the translators immensely. It is not only long and a difficult job but often not appreciated to its true value. People often think that replacing one word in ona language with a word meaning the same thing in another is easy. I know it is not because every language has its quirks and rules and it is not that simple translating anything let alone a novel. "traduttore traditore" No matter how an experienced translator one may be, and fluent in both languages, I know that certain things are difficult to translate without the full knowledge of cultural background or the idioms. Well done and thank you all, you fan subbers are our portal into an unknown world we are so eager to explore!

I have discovered the existence of BL as a genre only a couple of years ago when I started watching asian dramas.  It is not a genre widely known so having editors buy the rights to a bl novel is not likely. I don't know if it will ever get to be more mainstream here, though it is slowly starting with Heartstopper and Red white and royal blue. But moving from western authors to asian, I am afraid is going to be a long and arduous journey! Unfortunately! And while Koreans are doing everything in their power to make themselves known on cultural level, Japan does not seem to be interested in getting their cultural production (tv, music, books) widely known outside their borders. Even when there are events like japanese festivals, they are very limited to what is already known and only high brow productions are presented: movies and classical & already known authors! Always the same few authors and directors!!!

I loved the series My Beautiful Man and it was probably the best bl series I have ever seen, and I've seen many and I gather that the books are even better. So I shall try to be patient and support the translators!