Hi I'm back again with ANOTHER analysis because I just want to gush more about things about the drama that may have been missed on the first watch. I'm just so amazed at how there is still more to uncover about the characters once you think about certain aspects of their motivations. So today I'm gonna cover Shi Ying's decision to step down from priesthood and what it actually means for his character arc. I'm just gonna frame it based on how originally viewed this turning point for his character, which was very superficial at the time I watched it because I just wanted my romance ya know. If you've read my long essay from my last post, I said that solely solely focusing on the romance of this drama will make people overlook its underlying themes and messages told through its characters. So I just wanted to share a different angle of Shi Ying's decision to leave priesthood because it just adds so many layers to his character development that people might not have considered at first. 

When I first watched TLP I just saw his decision to leave priesthood as the means to let him freely act on his feelings for Zhu Yan to get the romance plot moving, because we know how looong it took for them to actually get together. I was so focused on the goal that I was missing out on the underlying significance behind this life-changing decision. After dissecting his character arc I realized this important plot moment also had the purpose of addressing Shi Ying's main internal conflict with his tragic past. This is just going to be a copy+paste of a section from my google doc that I added several days after I first shared it so people might not have read it on their first read. I wanted to make a dedicated post on this important moment because ughhhhh Shi Ying is such a well written character who's more than just an isolated priest falling in love for first time. The only reason why I was able to see this other angle is because I saw some weird takes that tried to remove the romance aspect of his important character decisions coming from viewers who find Zhu Yan unimportant to his development. And I completely disagree because Shi Ying's amazing character journey is multifaceted--he is not only motivated by love but he is also not only motivated by his innate characteristics and sense of duty. I thought it was just funny how different perspectives will make people see only one side of the picture, which I claimed will make viewers overlook the multiple layers TLP actually contains.  Both of these elements play an important role in driving his growth so erasing one of them will just diminish the purpose of Shi Ying's thoroughly planned character development. 

One of Shi Ying’s main inner conflicts is the clashing of his two identities that would impact his journey to self-acceptance. His past is very traumatic and tragic as he and his mother were wrongfully outcast by his own father when he was only a young teen, which is why he was so adamant on carrying out his duty as a priest to not be reminded of his origins. The second half of the drama is a major turning point for Shi Ying’s character because that is when he has to inevitably revisit the origin of his trauma in order to help defend Kong Sang from potential war. At first he made sure to keep his distance and clarify that he was only there acting as a priest from Jiuyi Mountain. However, the explosive encounter with his father and Zhu Yan’s punishment in episode 28 is what makes him realize that continuing to distance himself from his past and deny his birthright is now going against his own conscience (because there are more people in his life to care about now). 

It's kinda like the saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too." Being a priest allowed him to cut off any association with the Emperor (and his past suffering) but it also prevented him from acting on his newfound priorities in life. That is why we start to see Shi Ying become more involved in royal matters and even take on leadership positions when negotiating with the Merfolk and eventually commanding the whole army in episode 40. Side note but I kinda think that the Emperor letting Shi Ying take command over several matters as an "outsider" was supposed to be his own way of making amends with the son he mistreated. That's just one of the explanations I can come up with because his father never really goes against Shi Ying's actions after he returns to the palace lol. After Da Si Ming clears Shi Ying’s name and Shi Ying leaves  priesthood does he finally assume his identity of Crown Prince he initially tried so hard to disassociate with. 

It is necessary to bring up Shi Ying coming to terms with his tragic past because by assuming his role as Crown Prince he no longer has the need to lie to himself and to others. This all traces back to my theory on how he reached the ‘real state’ that helped him achieve immortality. Accepting all sides of himself gave him a clear conscience and understanding of his place in the universe, which is a part of what I believe the ‘real state’ entails (mind, body, and spirit in harmony). This is why I said in my essay that him achieving the 'real state' is not so easy to explain because it was not a big moment shown to the viewer that we can unanimously agree on. I theorized it was more of an awakened state of mind that culminated from the trials in life Shi Ying overcame throughout his journey. I believe that in order for Shi Ying to get closer to achieving the 'real state' he had to overcome one of his major internal obstacles which was to accept all the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of his life.

We know that as a priest cultivator Shi Ying was already dedicated to protecting the people because of his selfless nature, however we have to remember that his priest role was originally meant to be a cover-up with the help of Da Si Ming. Shi Ying just thought it was the best path in life for him to follow with his circumstances at the time. While the priesthood offered Shi Ying the chance to start with a clean slate it was not truly meant to be a sustainable coping mechanism for his trauma, especially the more he got involved in dealing with mortal affairs. Shi Ying associates his life and identity as the Crown Prince with the suffering he endured, which is why he dedicates his whole being into becoming a priest in order to escape the unbearable pain. Shi Ying’s character only becomes fully realized at the end when he finally takes on his role as Crown Prince because it meant that he finally acknowledged his suffering that he always blocked out. This acknowledgement of his suffering associated with his previous life is what helps Shi Ying truly understand who he is and strengthen his resolve to protect his people.  

TL;DR  Shi Ying stepping down as a priest was more than just a plot device that allowed the main couple to freely love each other, it was a profound moment in his journey to self-acceptance that showed how Shi Ying has finally stopped running away from his suffering associated with his tragic past. And now I love him and TLP 1000x more thanks for reading. 

??????????

Well said.  His character was very well written and you are correct in that leaving priesthood was part of accepting his Crown Prince identity instead of just being able to get together with Zhu Yan.  Acceptance is key. He cannot hide behind his priesthood to forget about his past.  At first he felt shame for what happened to him as a kid.  When he chose Zhu Yan's flower bracelet, he wanted to encourage her. And he said that if Zhu Yan found out he how he is now  is the Crown Prince she has been  thinking of for the last five years, she would be shocked and disappointed.   He had to come to terms with his past and that means being the Crown Prince again. 

Zhu Yan is very important to Shi Ying's character development since many of what he has done is because of her.  Directly and indirectly, she is the one who motivated him to leave the comfortable confines of his priesthood and Jiuyi mountain. Early on, when Zhu Yan confessed to taking a strand of his hair and Shi Ying was mad because he felt she only wanted his hair and wasn't sincere about learning.  He said he cared about her.  That was just the beginning. 

Also when he carried her piggyback up the mountain.  Zhu Yan asked him, why did you leave the mountain. Is it because of the GuiXie star? He said yes but he also added that it was also because of her. Because he had to save her from perishing in Huotu.  Why do you still care about everyone when they treated you unfairly in the past. He said he wants to protect people  from suffering because Zhu Yan is part of the people. Protecting the people has now become more personal to him because of Zhu Yan. 

I will always read your analysis and comments. Keep them coming.  

waverlinda:
??????????

I was so confused because your clapping emojis came out as question marks ? so I was wondering what you were trying to say LOL. 

This show keeps surprising me with how the context of certain scenes change drastically once I started looking at them from other angles. Just like how you brought up moments from their retreat and episode 26 mountain conversation, they certainly have a different meaning now that I understand the purpose behind his character. Mind boggles me how everything was laid out in front of me I just kept seeing all their actions being motivated by love, when it was always more than that which I appreciate TLP for doing. 

Side note but the Zhu Yan erasure train is real from the viewers who are too infatuated by Shi Ying. ? They're way too caught up in amplifying her flaws or the mistakes she made so they fail to consider the actual positive influence she's made on Shi Ying's life and his decisions. Some people need the tangible proof that she is not a waste of space such as when she gives up half her life or defends him in front of the Emperor. Anything else that is not so obvious that requires more analyzing from the viewer goes completely under the radar though. Like yes she often banters with him and calls out his stubborn nature but it's not because she's annoying. She does so to give him a new perspective on things. The guy has been a revered crown prince and an isolated priest most of his life and never really had his authority challenged, so her interactions are like a breath of fresh air to him. Why else do we have Chong Ming reluctantly tell him that she taught him how to smile? To have Shi Ying realize that he's been slowly changing the more he interacts with her. He wouldn't have been where he was by the end of TLP without her kickstarting all the events that went down. Can't help them with how they feel but it pains me to see his amazing character development being half-botched because of their extreme bias. And it's even more ironic that one of the messages of TLP is to not view situations so extremely, which is a very easy trap to fall in as I've seen from the different types of TLP viewers.

I feel you also. The more the viewers are infatuated with Shi Ying'ethereal beauty and perfection, the more they negate Zhu Yan's influence on him.  Cause and effect. He wouldn't have achieved all of this without Zhu Yan in his life.  It's quite tiresome to keep on hearing about how they can't stand the stubborn, obsessive and disrespectful ZY and how she made them drop the drama. I know I know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So I will already let it be.  I'm a new fan of the FL , Ren Min and I look forward to her upcoming dramas and will look for old ones to watch (just not school dramas). I'm just thankful that I found people here in MDL who are not like that.  And I will maintain this as my top drama this year and for years to come.

TLP is a serious drama under the guise of an idol drama. If you look at and evaluate it using xianxia idol drama standards, then yes there are shortcomings. But if you take a step back and evaluate it as a serious drama (like those ones I never watch), then they've imparted a lot of messages throughout the series.  There are so many memorable lines to take away from this drama. I could compile a list but I'm really trying  to get over my TLP withdrawal. Let's see. 

And as Xiao Zhan said in his interview, he didn't feel SY's character is sad and  tragic.  Yes there were some unfortunate events that happened. But he still had Chong Ming and Da Siming to accompany him. Anytime he would disagree with Da Siming, he would always get his way. It was always Da Siming who would relent  and give in to him. He was never really forced to do anything against his will. He met Zhu Yan and they became master/disciple.  She may have been reckless earlier but she's very much improved by the end.  She would always compliment and flatter him and make him feel good hence Chong Ming said she taught him how to smile. He realized he liked her and she likes him too (after some misunderstandings).   He chose to do what he wanted to do and everyone around him respected, understood and supported him.  So Shi Ying is not a sad character even if he sacrifices himself.  Shi Ying is a model for a self-actualized character.