The prince isn't perfect though. He's perfect when it comes to love but not outside of that, he doesn't start…
I completely agree with you. In our time, we no longer watch attentively, nor do we read attentively. We consume works hastily, sometimes even at 2× speed. Yet, like any form of art, a work can be read on multiple levels, through several layers of meaning.
This is also why, when we compare contemporary content with the great cinematic traditions of the world — by which I mean major works — so much in art is not stated explicitly. It is left to the viewer’s interpretation, free to draw their own conclusions, extract ideas, and fill in the silences.
By contrast, in Netflix-style series, everything is pre-digested: the message is stated, shown, and underlined in a very explicit way so that it can be understood immediately. As a result, many people no longer have the habit — or the desire — to look at the same image from another angle.
Characters like Jae Yi do not change overnight, it's one step forward, two back. He's been doing this all show,…
I Love your analyse thank you! Regarding SML I often tell myself, for example, that the simple fact that he slapped the FL shows that the writer, at that precise moment, has already made their choice. This gesture is not insignificant: it clearly indicates to the viewer (often one who is too lazy to think, or who watches superficially out of fear of engaging more deeply) who must be discarded. The ML, on the other hand, would never have raised his hand — no matter who he truly is as a character; if he is the ML, then this gesture simply cannot exist. And that’s how it is. In contemporary cinematic works, especially when they aim to be politically correct and acceptable to a broad audience, this kind of decision is almost mechanical. I understand it.
What I mean is that a character who is initially complex and multifaceted is, by the middle of the narrative, condemned to his role as the SML: he is forced to drift toward something darker, more sordid — one single facet of himself. Not because this is necessary for his inner development, but because the audience must be reassured: no doubt must remain. The ML has to appear as the legitimate suitor, morally irreproachable.
From that point on, two options present themselves for this sacrificed character. Either he remains the villain until the very end — a villain, purely and simply — frozen in that role. Or he is granted a so-called “redemption arc” — meaning: he dies. And this death, too, is politically correct. The ultimate sacrifice becomes the only acceptable and unanimously agreed-upon way, by a broad audience, to atone for his past sins and finally become a “good man.”
The prince isn't perfect though. He's perfect when it comes to love but not outside of that, he doesn't start…
Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I was absolutely not saying that I would like to see a jerk or a mean guy as the lead — quite the opposite (you understood me well 😉). What I meant was that I don’t always want to see purely black-and-white heroes, but rather more complex and deeper characters — stories that really explore complex personalities and themes in greater depth. Complexity is very human and much more interesting to watch and reflect on than someone who is either perfect or purely evil (which feels less “human”). And very often, that’s mostly what we get in dramas. I was also saying that the social context that was mentioned was really interesting and deserved to be brought to the forefront
The conflict between career and motherhood/raising a family seems to be a core theme. FL wants the career because…
In fiction, such as cinema, we don’t always have endless opportunities to take our time building the idea of a character from the start. Regarding her position and job, if she was in a precarious situation and didn’t want to take risks, ML, on the other hand, took risks by bringing the baby with him, even though the situation was also fragile (especially since she was a photographer he had admired for a long time). I’m not judging anyone; I’m simply making observations.
I’m counting the days for this series — it looks absolutely fantastic!! For me, he’s the most talented Chinese actor of the young generation… He has an amazing sense for choosing great projects. The actress, even if she’s less deep than him, is still very likeable in my opinion, and the rest of the cast is interesting as well. Plus, great directors overall. Yi Ran is on my list of the best actors : https://mydramalist.com/list/LQybAzwL :)))))
The conflict between career and motherhood/raising a family seems to be a core theme. FL wants the career because…
What I found particularly problematic was her last-minute no-show, which clearly highlights her unreliability. This stands in sharp contrast to the male lead, who is consistently reliable: if he agrees to do something, he does it; otherwise, he doesn’t take on the responsibility at all. While these situations can happen, she still had the option to be honest with her boss and take action—especially given that it was an important moment for the boy’s career.
I see people arguing about who's the better parent, so here's my opinion:ML is handling the baby much better,…
Take, right from the start, the fact that she obtains custody of a child relatively easily, without any real justification in court regarding her financial or logistical ability to provide for that child. Because having a child is one thing. Being granted custody of a child is something entirely different.
It was such a sweet episode. It’s really easy and enjoyable to watch without overthinking it. But morally speaking… lol, I felt a bit embarrassed for the poor boy because of some slightly humiliating situations he had to go through. It’s worth noting that here the roles were reversed: usually it’s young mothers who don’t have time to take care of themselves, exhausted from juggling work, household chores, and children… while the husband comes home from work looking flawless, socializing only with equally flawless people. Meanwhile, when the mother comes home, she’s no longer that perfect little doll. Times are changing. But the girl is kind-hearted: her desire to take care of the child despite her own struggles is a good thing. It’s better than leaving a child in an orphanage or somewhere else… Sometimes that kind of responsibility forces us to grow up and become more mature. We’re not always born responsible parents — that’s something we also have to learn. What I really didn’t like is that she stood him up at the last minute, showing her unreliability of character, whereas the male lead is usually very dependable — when he commits to something, he does it; otherwise, he doesn’t take it on at all. I understand that this can happen to anyone, but she could at least have told her boss the truth at that moment and done something, especially since it was for the boy’s career. In reality, in many couples with children there’s always this imbalance: one person puts the child first and tries to juggle everything with their career, while the other prioritizes their career, knowing the other one will somehow manage anyway. I’m not generalizing, of course, but still…
He’s the classmate, the first love, the boss, and the landlord… In the next episode, it’ll turn out that even Santa Claus is him — and that’s how it’s always been! 🤣
Don’t tell me they’re going to fall in love after episode 4… The guy was already slowly getting attracted without even realizing it, ever since they fell together with the lamp… It’s just that they’re going to realize it little by little
You’re completely right, I think the same. He is competent enough to enforce justice and save his royal family from a possible revolution, overthrow, or civil war, but not to reign.. and Fl also... However, if the king dies, I don’t see who would succeed him otherwise (the ML’s mother? I don’t think so). So the king would be wise to take control as soon as possible—it would also be morally very appropriate for a K-drama hihi. The two brothers will finally find some common ground, the minister will die along with his son, and as a result, SML will either die too or end up in a well-placed position in the palace
The prince isn't perfect though. He's perfect when it comes to love but not outside of that, he doesn't start…
Please don’t take my words the wrong way; my intention is entirely friendly. But clearly, we’re not on the same page regarding my intentions, so let me explain. From the very beginning, regarding the prince, I mean that he is a kind, cute, green-flag, generally adorable character—one we’ve seen hundreds of times in dramas. I think, with some nuanced differences, you could probably also give me 50 examples of similar main male leads. That said, I find the story initially presented between Im Jar I and the heroine quite refreshing as a main plot (let me explain: especially this social class dynamic in a historical context, the fact that she was married into his household, that neither of them comes from a noble lineage, that one is ambitious from the start and the other altruistic, etc.). However, the fact that it remains in a love triangle makes it too predictable: the second male lead will, in the best case, end up sacrificing himself for the female lead, or it will be some other banal version of the second lead that we’ve already seen. I’m saying all this lightly and without pretension, since the series isn’t finished yet—we might still see a surprising twist in the writing. Below, I wrote some possible endings from my perspective… I’m not looking for anything; I’m just analyzing what I’m watching. This doesn’t prevent me from watching the series with interest
it seems like you are a closeted script writer, so why dont you write a script for what you want. Food for thought…
Haha ... Maybe I’m already whipping up some food for the soul… definitely not drama scripts! 😏 Honestly, that’s an insanely tough job, with the endless flood of scripts and how often they’re churned out. Analyzing one thing, creating something new is a whole other beast… but without analyzing, there’s zero chance of creating anything at all.
This is also why, when we compare contemporary content with the great cinematic traditions of the world — by which I mean major works — so much in art is not stated explicitly. It is left to the viewer’s interpretation, free to draw their own conclusions, extract ideas, and fill in the silences.
By contrast, in Netflix-style series, everything is pre-digested: the message is stated, shown, and underlined in a very explicit way so that it can be understood immediately. As a result, many people no longer have the habit — or the desire — to look at the same image from another angle.
Regarding SML
I often tell myself, for example, that the simple fact that he slapped the FL shows that the writer, at that precise moment, has already made their choice. This gesture is not insignificant: it clearly indicates to the viewer (often one who is too lazy to think, or who watches superficially out of fear of engaging more deeply) who must be discarded. The ML, on the other hand, would never have raised his hand — no matter who he truly is as a character; if he is the ML, then this gesture simply cannot exist. And that’s how it is. In contemporary cinematic works, especially when they aim to be politically correct and acceptable to a broad audience, this kind of decision is almost mechanical. I understand it.
What I mean is that a character who is initially complex and multifaceted is, by the middle of the narrative, condemned to his role as the SML: he is forced to drift toward something darker, more sordid — one single facet of himself. Not because this is necessary for his inner development, but because the audience must be reassured: no doubt must remain. The ML has to appear as the legitimate suitor, morally irreproachable.
From that point on, two options present themselves for this sacrificed character. Either he remains the villain until the very end — a villain, purely and simply — frozen in that role. Or he is granted a so-called “redemption arc” — meaning: he dies. And this death, too, is politically correct. The ultimate sacrifice becomes the only acceptable and unanimously agreed-upon way, by a broad audience, to atone for his past sins and finally become a “good man.”
What I meant was that I don’t always want to see purely black-and-white heroes, but rather more complex and deeper characters — stories that really explore complex personalities and themes in greater depth. Complexity is very human and much more interesting to watch and reflect on than someone who is either perfect or purely evil (which feels less “human”). And very often, that’s mostly what we get in dramas.
I was also saying that the social context that was mentioned was really interesting and deserved to be brought to the forefront
Yi Ran is on my list of the best actors : https://mydramalist.com/list/LQybAzwL :)))))
Because having a child is one thing.
Being granted custody of a child is something entirely different.
It’s worth noting that here the roles were reversed: usually it’s young mothers who don’t have time to take care of themselves, exhausted from juggling work, household chores, and children… while the husband comes home from work looking flawless, socializing only with equally flawless people. Meanwhile, when the mother comes home, she’s no longer that perfect little doll. Times are changing.
But the girl is kind-hearted: her desire to take care of the child despite her own struggles is a good thing. It’s better than leaving a child in an orphanage or somewhere else… Sometimes that kind of responsibility forces us to grow up and become more mature. We’re not always born responsible parents — that’s something we also have to learn.
What I really didn’t like is that she stood him up at the last minute, showing her unreliability of character, whereas the male lead is usually very dependable — when he commits to something, he does it; otherwise, he doesn’t take it on at all. I understand that this can happen to anyone, but she could at least have told her boss the truth at that moment and done something, especially since it was for the boy’s career.
In reality, in many couples with children there’s always this imbalance: one person puts the child first and tries to juggle everything with their career, while the other prioritizes their career, knowing the other one will somehow manage anyway. I’m not generalizing, of course, but still…
The two brothers will finally find some common ground, the minister will die along with his son, and as a result, SML will either die too or end up in a well-placed position in the palace
That said, I find the story initially presented between Im Jar I and the heroine quite refreshing as a main plot (let me explain: especially this social class dynamic in a historical context, the fact that she was married into his household, that neither of them comes from a noble lineage, that one is ambitious from the start and the other altruistic, etc.).
However, the fact that it remains in a love triangle makes it too predictable: the second male lead will, in the best case, end up sacrificing himself for the female lead, or it will be some other banal version of the second lead that we’ve already seen. I’m saying all this lightly and without pretension, since the series isn’t finished yet—we might still see a surprising twist in the writing.
Below, I wrote some possible endings from my perspective… I’m not looking for anything; I’m just analyzing what I’m watching. This doesn’t prevent me from watching the series with interest
Honestly, that’s an insanely tough job, with the endless flood of scripts and how often they’re churned out. Analyzing one thing, creating something new is a whole other beast… but without analyzing, there’s zero chance of creating anything at all.