The Long Way Home (2015) poster

katami
May 3, 2016
I was pretty surprised and upset when I saw there was no reviews about this movie so I decided to write one because this movie IS a MASTERPEICE ...The funniest , the saddest and one of the BEST korean war movies that you'll definitely enjoy every second of it .

I was so impressed with Jin Goo's acting skills that are developing moore and moooore and this was definitely his best role.

What was so special about this movie is that they definitely know how to play with our emotions. Sometimes you find yourself giggling and seconds later crying .....

All in all : GO WATCH IT NOW ..the ratings (+ my review^^) says it all

LeejLicious
Sep 4, 2016
A funny movie, about a serious matter, greatly filmed!
I have not watched many South v.s. North - Korean movies, but I greatly enjoyed this one. It has a well written story with a good pace in it. Unexepectedly it has loads of humour in this movie, but it does end on a serious note! This movie is so great because it combines two opposites, smiling and crying! This is a well produced drama.
The actors were marvelous, I loved both of the main-leads. I could from both expect were they were coming from, this movie is also great because of the age gap between the two!
Music is making the movie, and fills in the dorky parts well.
I would rewatch this movie!

Watch this if you like movies about the Korean war period an humour/comedy
Skip this if you expect romance, or if you want a 100% non comedy movie.

Jun 17, 2017
"The Long Way Home" a film that touches the subject of war in a non-comic way.
The story is about two soldiers from different sides with their own interests, goals and orders to follow. While Nam-Bok is responsible for delivering a secret document to his superiors, Young-Gwang must surrender his tank to the battalion after his unit is ambushed and killed. Their destinies collide and they are in conflict.
The performance varies from average to good, the jokes, the confrontations and the reconciliation between the pair are well presented and executed.
The film has a production value surprisingly good as the few action scenes that by the way were filmed very well and realistically, the positioning of the cameras surprises, undoubtedly the cinematography is remarkable. Special effects, while not premium, are credible. The explosions, traps were filmed accordingly to make an atmosphere of war close to reality.
In general the director does a good job. Although it is comical, the film shows how the people who would be great friends are put on a battlefield to kill themselves only because of the war. It shows how a furious war destroys everything in its path and how the masses are affected to just satisfy the whims of the few.

KatySarang_TGeyes
Jun 18, 2017
Haha currently watching circle, and cuz I can't wait for Monday, on a jin goo movie spree. Once again, I was impressed. Solomon's Perjury and Intuition must have been poorly made movies.

Story: Basically north korean boy soldier (he's like barely 18) finds a top secret document and while trying to hide it from south korean soldier they become friends. A pretty decent story, nothing complex, but definitely enjoyable.

Characters:
-Young Kwang: played by Jin Goo, and this boy is freaking adorable. I have seen Jin Goo play the tragic teenage lover (Moon Embraces the Sun), the loyal and determined brother (Circle), the schizophrenic patient (Shoot my heart), and now the young soldier boy. All the roles are so different from each other, but he does well in each one. In this role he plays a dumb (funny dumb), cute, innocent, boy soldier. Honestly he made me laugh and cry so hard, I absolutely loved his character! It was also interesting to hear the north's side from him, something I've never heard before (don't know if it's accurate though).
-Nam Bok: gosh I loved his character, he is so determined and funny! I love how kind he is and how he tries to reach out toward Young Kwang. It's really beautiful to watch. I also liked how he showed the south perspective, and how unnecessary war is. I really loved his interactions with Young Kwang and his dad story!

Bromance: The bromance was great! Great chemistry, plenty of laugh out loud moments, and definitely crying at the end. I really liked what they showed through their friendship. Both sides are human, and its really unnecessary to fight like this, especially when opposing sides could be friends.

Ending: Just get your tissue box. It's worth it though!

Overall, I would reccomend it! It has great acting, characters, story, is funny, and is touching! I was hesitant to watch it, but I'm glad I did!