Flowers for My Life

• Genres: Romance
  • Rating: Not Yet Rated

JasonBourne92
Dec 2, 2013
When you see a review rated above 8 in story,acting/cast,rewatch and overall aspects, you just hope that the person writing the review isn't emotionally attached because then there is a possibility that the review would be written in a sentimental state. Well, I have certainly moved on and its been a month since I have finished "Flowers for my Life". I even have started other great dramas like Japanese 'Mother' and Korean "Nine times travel".

Flowers centers around the business of our girl's (Kang Hye Jung - Oldboy, Love Phobia, Welcome to Dongmakgol) parents which is nothing but setting up funerals for the deceased. Well, what do you think? Depressing, Sad, Sappy? If you think that way, then I'll try to make you think other way.

Flowers is not a melodrama. It doesn't put the characters of the story in extreme difficult situations so as to appeal to the emotions. It isn't a family drama, it may not even feel like a drama ! It will be hard to believe that its a show which deals with death and is actually hilarious and funny without being jokey and gag based. It touches you emotionally without making you sappy. You will feel the characters in your heart and yet you wont cry. It will provide you lots of hilarious and humorous moments. You won't feel dull at any point in the series.

The cast is good with our leads fully absorbing into their roles. You will probably remember Cha Tae Hyun (My Sassy Girl). He is the main character in this story and I think he was perfectly cast for this role. His exaggerated facial expressions are always funny but you won't find them ridiculous here. They will rather feel as honest feelings. The lead actress Kang Hye Jung is very natural in her acting. She just steps up her acting skills in each episode. You will feel like living in the drama. The second leads are OK. The parents are awesome. There are 2 more elders who would sometimes feel annoying but their screen time is small.

Doesn't your all time favorite drama has the most beautiful music? Remember 'Coffee Prince' and 'Shut Up: Flower Boy Band' ! Well, Flowers doesn't reach to that level but there are just enough scenes where the background music matches perfectly with what is going on in the screen. In fact, it is the OST that keeps your tears away. Its the exact opposite of OST of '1 Litre of Tears' where you cry because your heart, Aya and the background music all resonate to the frequency of 'tears'. In Flowers, it resonates to happiness and smiles. To your surprise, you will come across a 90's english song.

I have never rewatched any drama till now. Not even my top favorite one. But I feel like I can always return to watching this show as this is JUST NOT sad, even when talking about death. All other good shows leave me in a state of helplessness when I finish them and I don't know what to do ending up in an existential crisis for few days. But Flowers left me satisfied and happy in the end.

Overall, I will give this one a '9'. I would have given this a 10 if not just for that 1 single episode where I think it paced up a little giving away its charm a bit. But the show made up for it in the last 5 episodes.

Additional thoughts - There are few episodes which tell a smaller story and work well in moving the characters in that small story as well as the larger story of the series in itself. You can compare it with the episodes of 'Reply 1997'. Now wasn't that amazing !

And if you see this show, then do watch out for the flowers (I mean literally; there will be just a single scene for 2-3 seconds where a character is shown with some type of flower).

This show is indeed well executed. I just didn't wanted it to be so underrated.

Thank you for your patience.

girl_on_fire
Jan 23, 2014
This is one of those dramas which you never see coming.

It is also deeply underrated and I believe deserves more recognition.

In this drama the female lead is obsessed with money and is hoping to marry a man who is very wealthy and is going to die very soon.

The male lead has just come into a large sum of money....you can already see were this story is going.

What really made me like this drama were the characters. They were different from anything I had seen in a K-drama and were to me believable.

This drama captures your attention right from the get-go.

The last thing I have to say is go and watch this drama!! Its a great drama!

happymess
Nov 11, 2014
I'll be honest, I truly believe that I am not being generous when I give this drama a 10. It's one of those dramas I wish I could unwatch just so I can experience watching it for the first time all over again. Am I perhaps biased, emotionally attached? Uhhh, maybe. But, believe me, if you had just experienced the loveliness that is the ending of this drama, I doubt you'd feel any different. And if you do, well, that's okay, you and I are just very different people, that's all.

For me, this drama is a testament to just how wondrous and beautiful dramas can be when they build original stories and worlds, with unique, well-written characters.

Considering it dealt so closely with death and loss, it's amazing to think that it had me laughing and feeling giddy over the curious beauty of life every step of the way. If anything, I'd say this drama is about cherishing the people who brighten up your life and how to keep them in your heart even when they're gone. It's not often that I feel so deeply gratified with the life lessons a DRAMA taught me because, let's be real, we don't watch dramas for those reasons.

Now, I'm sure that with all this talk of how moving, heartfelt, and poignant this drama is, you might be fearing something else: That it's boring. IT'S NOT. In fact, this drama has a rather eccentric sense of humor, thanks to it's wonderfully quirky lead character. It is witty and hilarious and, frankly, employs a kind of subtle humor that I don't see often in dramas.

Each and every character, both leading and supporting, is wonderfully acted and written. Cha Tae-hyun's Ho-sang and Kang Hye-jung's Na Ha-na will likely always have a very special place in my heart. Kim Ji-hoon and Gong Hyun-joo are lovely as a pair of the greatest, and most supportive second leads you will ever see in a kdrama, ever.

And if I haven't convinced you with my praise of the acting and writing, let it be known that the director has a lovely artistic sense. I distinctly remember many clever shots that elevated even the simplest of scenes.

But, most importantly, let me stress this. This drama is not sad. It is, in fact, a drama that left me with an overwhelming sense of happiness. Did I cry my heart out? Yes. But I was also laughing at the sheer beauty of life. And, yes, if you saw me, I probably looked crazy, but, hey, that's just what this drama does to you.

Hana: What kind of flower did you come in search for?
Ho-sang: I don't know. You?
Hana: As for me, I probably came in search of Ho-sang.

milkycoffee
Apr 4, 2015
I think this may be the best korean melodrama I have ever watched.

Honestly, I started it only because of Cha Tae Hyun and Kang Hye Jung, but this drama really impressed me. It isn't a regular korean melodrama with lots of crying and other stuff of that kind.

Although the plot became kind of slow in the middle it was still a great show. The thing I loved the most about it is how the writer portrayed everything in this drama. Here you won't find an annoying second female lead who does everything to ruin main leads' lives or the clingy second male lead who does everything to get the girl. If I were to sum up the plot I would say that it was very common, the characters and the plot didn't seem out of this world. The characters were like the regular people - they sometimes were wrong, they sometimes made mistakes, they also didn't try to be perfect in any way.

It's a show with plenty of heart-warming moments, also the way the writer portrayed the topic of death was very admirable - she showed that death isn't the end of the world and although it's sad it's a part of life. It's also one of not so many shows where the cancer didn't bother me.

Music choices in this drama were really great and interesting too, I really loved '74-'75 by The Connells that you could hear often while watching.

If you like melodramas or just are searching for a show with interesting characters and heart-warming moments then it's really worth of your time - although the plot summary may not seem convincing at first.

BdrMohamed
Jun 22, 2015
Well, I'm writing with my tears still wet but with a big smile :-)
Not a bittersweet drama neither a tragedy.
Maybe one will say it's like Padam Padam but I think it's more deeper and touching.
Really this drama has a great lesson you can come up from it.
Anyway, let's start rating this drama as my usual way :-

PROS:
1-It has a very meaningful story.
2-The acting is superior and outstanding
3-Nothing is wasted in this drama like embedding fillers.
4-The romance element really is perfectly was embedded with the main story.
5-First time I cared about the story more than the romance elements.

CONS:
1-He dies
2-There's something haven't been clarified yet like his mother 'what happened with her'

I recommend you to watch it even if you are afraid of getting sad don't worry, he will be funny enough to cheer you ;)

Thanks for reading :D

pattyrn4
May 23, 2014
Although this starts out as a comedy, by the middle of the drama it turns into a somber, slow drama. It focuses on death and dying and how people deal with loss. Since the setting is a funeral home, there is a lot of exposure to the process that prepares Ho Sang, the male lead, for his impending death.
If you are interested in Korean customs about burial and their ceremonies, both for the living and deceased, you will be interested in this drama. There is some interesting philosophical dialogue about how the living deal with separation. However, I didn't feel a great emotional connection between the characters until the last few episodes. Granted, Chae Tae Hyun, noted for his spectacular performance in the classic My Sassy Girl, has a very likable character here. But I didn't feel a great passion with his romantic female lead. Except for the last few episodes, this drama was too slow to spark most people's interest.

OhSoEnthusiastic
May 20, 2016
I don't actually know how to rate this drama. If I went off of my feelings based on the first half and the very end, I would give it a 10. If I went off of my feelings based on the second half minus the very end, I would give it a 5. Like most dramas, it starts off great. It's quirky and charming with (mostly) enjoyable characters, and a story I guarantee you haven't found in any other K drama. But also like most dramas, the story begins to drag halfway through, almost as if they'd reached the wait part of hurrying up to wait, and you start to feel a little tired of carrying it around with you.

There were many beautiful moments sprinkled throughout, and it deals with death and loss with such a deft and gentle hand, so I soldiered on, pushing myself to finish, and this drama clearly did Something right, because I was a sobbing mess the entire final 15 minutes.

That ending Wrecked Me.

I wouldn't put this drama on my list of favorite's. I wouldn't even put it on my list of 'definitely don't wish I could get any of that time spent watching it back.'

But there's something about this drama, even if I can't quite put my finger on it.