• Location: United States

OhSoEnthusiastic

United States
Coffee, Do Me a Favor
Dec 31, 2018
This drama tested every last bit of my patience.

Everything in it was done at the most shallow, surface level possible. We were given no insight into why our characters were making the decisions they were making, no deeper look into their inner struggles and motivations and desires, no inner dialogue to give us hints or bring us into the characters worlds, no emotionally revealing conversations between them, no explanation for what our female leads ultimate goal was or if she even had one; just a bare bones story trying real hard to be devoid of any substance. Which is all the more frustrating as it had so much potential for substance. The bones of a good story were there. The writers just never put any meat on them.

Understand that none of this is the fault of the actors or actresses. They did the best with what was given to them. (Although I truthfully wasn't impressed with Yong Jun Hyung at all.) I actually quite liked both female leads, and am more angry For them for what a crappy story they were handed than I could ever be At them. Chae Seo Jin is aces as Oh Go Woon, and that's the main reason I didn't end up hating her or her character. They're both just too lovable. But while Kim Min Young is clearly just as good of an actress, and Lee Seul Bi had some really solid character moments in the first handful of episodes and in the finale, neither of them were ever given a chance to shine. Chae Seo Jin/Oh Go Woon get all the screentime, and eventually, you begin to think the posters and teasers were all just an elaborate lie, and Lee Seul Bi isn't actually the main character like you were led to believe.

I will say that there is a lot to enjoy about the finale. The first half ties up a number of plot points in ways that are genuinely satisfying. It also offers up some deeper explanations and explorations of the drama's theme that the story was sorely lacking before that point. Honestly, episode 12 has more story development than all 11 other episodes combined, and it dulled some of the frustration I had going into it. But the second half of the episode is a total waste, and the whole thing brings up some really fascinating ideas that the drama Could have explored and Should have but Didn't, so it ultimately just leaves you feeling frustrated again.

Should you watch Coffee, Do Me A Favor? No. Coffee, Do Me A Favor is not a good drama, and you should not watch it. End of review.

Heroine Disqualified
Nov 8, 2018
Uuuuuuugh. This movie frustrated and angered me to the point that I quit it about 30 minutes from the end. (It's about 2 hours long total. I read spoilers for the ending in order to know what actually happened, because I had no plans of actually watching the ending myself.) I really hate teen movies (adult movies too) that do the whole back and forth, back and forth, back and forth thing for the sole purpose of there being some kind of drawn out conflict rather than simply writing a compelling and relatable story. (It makes me want to burst my own eardrums.) This movie...is one of those teen movies. The writers take an infinitely fascinating premise, a Heroine who's not actually the heroine of the story she thinks she is and has to figure out her true story, and then scrap it probably less than halfway through for your standard, uninspired take on teen romance. (Which I guess isn't actually the movie writers fault as this is based on a manga so they had to write based on the source material, but I haven't read the manga and don't know if it does the story any better or not, so I'm just gonna be mad at the film's scriptwriters for now.) Some of the more egregious plot points include cheating that goes unpunished and pretty much treated as not a big deal, a teenager with a history of dating an adult that the movie never makes any kind of declarative statement on how grossly inappropriate that is, a character faking an illness to trick another character into not leaving them, and just generally selfish and stupid behavior from the majority of our characters.

The story also starts with these honestly quite interesting characters (aside from the second male lead who's pretty much a card board cutout of every bad boy character ever) and then ruins pretty much all of them. (Maybe not the female lead so much, since she does stay pretty consistent throughout the movie, but that consistency isn't always a good thing. And again, the second male is a cardboard cutout, so there's not much there to really ruin.) I'm most upset though with how the second female lead is treated. She is this beyond sweet and selfless character until the very end where she's turned into a villain for the sole purpose of the leads having an excuse to be together. It's a disservice to her character and is used as a supposedly 'valid' reason to excuse both leads of being incredibly selfish themselves multiple times throughout the movie.

If you're a young teen/pre-teen, you will probably find this movie really romantic. As a 31 year old adult, I found it asinine and annoying. This is just not a good movie.

Cinderella and the Four Knights
Apr 29, 2017
This drama was my crack drama all the way through episode 14 when, for reasons I'm honestly not even sure of anymore (maybe I was abducted by aliens and they messed with my brain? probably just because some of the side plots were draggy and frustrating though), I lost all interest and never finished the last two episodes. I finally went back and watched them this evening, and I can't lie. The obsession I had with this drama when it was airing has significantly cooled. I don't know if that's the drama's fault or mine, but it is what it is.

This is definitely, however, a crack drama, and if you like crack dramas, you will like this one. I don't know that the story holds up to intense scrutiny, and like I said, some of the side plots are draggy and frustrating, but...we're all drama druggie's here. And we'll put up with a lot to get our fix, am I right?

Dropped 20/20
Noble, My Love
Dropped 0
Sooooo cute and the male lead made me want to punch him in the face half the time.

I stuck it out a verrrrrrry long time, waiting for him to realize he was a bossy jealous pants, but he didn't, and I realized I didn't want his bossy jealous pants in my life, so I dropped it 2 episodes before the end.

(Music is 1 because I don't remember what the music was like.)
Splash Splash LOVE
Jul 5, 2016
This is everything I want in a romance and so much more. Kim Seul Gi is my favorite. The male lead ain't bad either. The romance was make you giddy and flushed perfection. The way they used history to tell the story was genius. It splash splashed it's way into my heart forever.
Missing Korea
May 21, 2016
Short, sweet, and fun, I definitely recommend it. Our female lead is feisty and headstrong, and our male lead is kind and generous. The story is lighthearted with no real drama or angst to be seen. Plus it's super short, so you can finish it in a morning's time.
Bitter Blood
May 21, 2016
What a satisfying watch! I haven’t been this thoroughly impressed with a drama in a While! Does part of me wish the romance had been developed more? Yes, but that’s only because I’m a sucker for a good romance. The drama didn’t actually need it. But that father son bromance was everything. Still holding out hope for a season 2.

(If I rewatched dramas, I would rewatch this one.)
I Picked Up a Star on the Road
May 16, 2019
This was a disappointing drama.

I was part of the subbing team on Viki, and my original plan was to either watch each episode after the initial English subs were put out then go in and do my part or go ahead and do my part and watch the episode in full afterward.

I quickly discovered that neither way was going to be possible, and the only way I Was going to be able to watch this drama without pulling out my hair was to just work on the subs and get the highlights as I worked.

Every time I attempted to sit down and watch a full episode...there were too many things I hated about the story for me to enjoy it. Namely almost everything around the kidnapping plotline, ie. the entire premise of the show and kind of an important aspect of the story that you need to enjoy if you want to enjoy the show overall.

When the drama focused on the female leads difficult work environment and her life growing up, it was very poignant. I found her to be the most relatable and empathetic in those moments, and I wanted to see more of them. When the drama focused on most everything else, I wanted to quit watching.

My main complaints with the kidnapping plotline are as follows:

1) The main characters behavior was unrealistic. The idea that a kidnapee would ever have enough power in a kidnapping situation to force the kidnapper to create and sign a contract between them was just dumb. Wholly and completely dumb. The idea that the kidnapee would be able to dictate to the kidnapper instructions on what food to cook for them and clothes to buy them and coffee to get them was dumb. Wholly and completely dumb. And the idea that the kidnapper would ever, for one moment, grant any of these demands is dumb.

Wholly and completely dumb.

2) The main characters behavior was maddening. The female lead made terrible decision after terrible decision that was never appropriately acknowledged as terrible and rarely had any repercussions and she never felt remorse or regret over them and I JUST WANTED HER TO FEEL A LITTLE BAD FOR KIDNAPPING A PERSON THAT'S ALL.

The male lead would get rightfully angry about being held hostage and then get over it within the same or next scene like he wasn't actually all that chuffed about it. At least be consistent, buddy.

They bickered with each other the entire time, and it was Not. Cute. because it was about the fact that she had kidnapped him and he rightfully wanted to not be kidnapped.

3) There was very little effort put into making the characters actually fall for each other. Feel sympathetic towards each other maybe, but not fall in love. And I wanted them to fall in love. Despite the myriad of flaws with this drama, the leads had spot on chemistry and good have brought a really great romance to the screen.

But they didn't/

I want to make it clear that I don't hate this drama because it was unrealistic. I don't have no problem with it being unrealistic. Stories like this Have to be a little bit unrealistic if they want to sell the idea of a kidnapper and kidnapee falling in love without it coming off as messed up and wrong. (Beauty and the Beast, anyone?) The problem is that the writers didn't understand how to write this story so that it didn't come off as messed up and wrong, so it always just felt Wrong.

There's plenty more to say about the rushed and poorly fleshed out story and the lack or real character or relationship growth throughout much of the drama and the terrible with a capital T ending that was clearly caused because of issues with the production company, but honestly, I don't care enough to talk about any of that. You'll have to read someone else's review if you want to know more.

All I'm gonna say is this drama was terrible, and those of us who watched it deserved better.

And so did the actors.

Eulachacha Waikiki
Jul 27, 2018
This is a dumb drama. Outlandish plotlines, ridiculous characters, an over-the-top story that has you constantly rolling your eyes and face desking at the mind-numbing stupidity.

This is also 100% on purpose and the main reason you would watch this drama in the first place. You're meant to laugh at the utter stupidity of the whole thing, the constant employment of 'dumb' humor. And maybe feel a little moved by the genuine heart peeking through the layers of goofy along the way.

I wouldn't personally watch this again, because these kinds of dramas just aren't my thing, but I did get a lot of enjoyment out of it watching it once, and I can see why other people would really love it.

It's a dumb drama with a lot of heart, and if that's something you enjoy, then you will definitely enjoy this drama.

Age of Youth 2
Nov 3, 2017
Misaeng is my favorite drama of all time. I think it's one of the most important Korean dramas to have ever been made. So it's saying something when I say that Age of Youth 1 and 2 rival my love for Misaeng. I love these dramas.

Season 2 manages to do what most sequels can't do, and that's be just as good as the first season. Even three cast changes can't stop this drama from hitting it out of the park. There's no one in this drama you hate, no one you can't relate to in some way. The story tackles a number of heavy topics with deft hands and a gentle gaze. And just like season 1, you find yourself wishing you could be part of this group of girls, because you would never find any better friends than them.

This is a ten-star drama, and you need to watch it.

FUTURE EDIT: I need to add a caveat here that I didn't in my initial review for reasons I don't know anymore, but there is one thing about this drama that disappoints, and that is the lack of conclusion to what was the most anticipated romance in both seasons to date. But I temper that disappointment with the reckless faith that that simply means we will be getting a season 3 where the romance will come to fruition and all will be well and happy and beautiful with the world.

Also, I rebuke that episode 7 urn epilogue in the name of Jesus Christ. Get behind me Satan.

Sweet 20
Jan 22, 2017
This web drama is like cotton candy. There is conflict and misunderstandings and a real uncertainty about who she's going to end up with at the end, but it's all so easy and pleasant to watch. The makeup tutorials are also a really nice touch. Obviously, they are the whole purpose of the drama, but they don't feel weird or out of place or even all that much like product placement. They're nice and simple and suitable for a wide variety of people. You don't even really need to use Innisfree makeup to do them, even though that's the only brand used. You can very easily recreate these looks with any other makeup brand out there.

Asuko March!
Jul 5, 2016
While I don't know that this drama will leave a lasting impression on me, I enjoyed watching it. It's sweet and funny and tender hearted with a wonderful set of characters, and I even ended up enjoying the setting.

But while I think the leads were well suited for each other, and I don't have a problem with the pairing at all, my second lead feels were very, very strong. I don't know if that's because I wanted him and the lead together, or I just wanted to see him find someone too, but that boy was just too cute for his own good, and I honestly could watch an entire drama just about him finding a girl of his own.

My only complaint is that the romance is not fully resolved at the end, and I hate unresolved romance. Like a lot. Still, I think it's worth watching.

Dropped 13/16
Introverted Boss
Sep 15, 2017
Dropped 2
I was so hype for this drama. I'd just finished Age of Youth and was on a Hye Soo high. I loved, loved, loved the story idea. Shy, insecure characters are super relatable to me, and I love Love stories where the love interest builds up the shy, insecure character and helps them gain newfound confidence.

I wanted this to be good.

I was very disappointed by what it turned out to be.

Like most everyone else who watched this drama, Hye Soo's character went a bridge too far for me. The first two episodes were fun and light hearted, and while the female lead was very over the top, I still enjoyed her as a character. Her antics were a little ham but still understandable and relatable. In eps 3 and 4, her character took a real nosedive, and her personality went from initially over the top but fun to downright exacerbating. Her behavior resembled an Elementary school playground fight. It wasn't cute or funny anymore.

The writers realized, after eps 3 and 4, that the audience was Very disgruntled with the character, and they did what they could to tone her down and make her less annoying. And I think the changes worked. But I never regained the enthusiasm for the drama I had initially and ended up dropping it not far from the end.

I won't recommend this drama, but I won't tell you not to watch it either, because the missteps might not keep you from enjoying it like they did me. But go in aware.

Marathon
May 21, 2016
This movie is a bit of a mixture of indie and mainstream in terms of storytelling and filming style. But while the story is very good, and the acting is superb, the movie didn't really hit me like I feel it should have. I don't think that's the fault of the actors or writers or filmographers. I think it just doesn't do it for me. I would definitely suggest people give this movie a chance though, because it has a very good story to tell.
May 21, 2016
This is basically the story of my love life told from a guy's perspective, lol. Seiya is awkward, inexperienced with the opposite sex, and adorable as all get out. The only difference between us (apart from I'm not male) is he has a maid and a butler, and I have my own two hands and feet, lol.