• Last Online: 1 day ago

OhSoEnthusiastic

United States
Coffee, Do Me a Favor
Dec 31, 2018
This drama tested every last bit of my patience.

Everything in it was done at the most shallow, surface level possible. We were given no insight into why our characters were making the decisions they were making, no deeper look into their inner struggles and motivations and desires, no inner dialogue to give us hints or bring us into the characters worlds, no emotionally revealing conversations between them, no explanation for what our female leads ultimate goal was or if she even had one; just a bare bones story trying real hard to be devoid of any substance. Which is all the more frustrating as it had so much potential for substance. The bones of a good story were there. The writers just never put any meat on them.

Understand that none of this is the fault of the actors or actresses. They did the best with what was given to them. (Although I truthfully wasn't impressed with Yong Jun Hyung at all.) I actually quite liked both female leads, and am more angry For them for what a crappy story they were handed than I could ever be At them. Chae Seo Jin is aces as Oh Go Woon, and that's the main reason I didn't end up hating her or her character. They're both just too lovable. But while Kim Min Young is clearly just as good of an actress, and Lee Seul Bi had some really solid character moments in the first handful of episodes and in the finale, neither of them were ever given a chance to shine. Chae Seo Jin/Oh Go Woon get all the screentime, and eventually, you begin to think the posters and teasers were all just an elaborate lie, and Lee Seul Bi isn't actually the main character like you were led to believe.

I will say that there is a lot to enjoy about the finale. The first half ties up a number of plot points in ways that are genuinely satisfying. It also offers up some deeper explanations and explorations of the drama's theme that the story was sorely lacking before that point. Honestly, episode 12 has more story development than all 11 other episodes combined, and it dulled some of the frustration I had going into it. But the second half of the episode is a total waste, and the whole thing brings up some really fascinating ideas that the drama Could have explored and Should have but Didn't, so it ultimately just leaves you feeling frustrated again.

Should you watch Coffee, Do Me A Favor? No. Coffee, Do Me A Favor is not a good drama, and you should not watch it. End of review.

Cinderella and the Four Knights
Apr 29, 2017
This drama was my crack drama all the way through episode 14 when, for reasons I'm honestly not even sure of anymore (maybe I was abducted by aliens and they messed with my brain? probably just because some of the side plots were draggy and frustrating though), I lost all interest and never finished the last two episodes. I finally went back and watched them this evening, and I can't lie. The obsession I had with this drama when it was airing has significantly cooled. I don't know if that's the drama's fault or mine, but it is what it is.

This is definitely, however, a crack drama, and if you like crack dramas, you will like this one. I don't know that the story holds up to intense scrutiny, and like I said, some of the side plots are draggy and frustrating, but...we're all drama druggie's here. And we'll put up with a lot to get our fix, am I right?

Splash Splash LOVE
Jul 5, 2016
This is everything I want in a romance and so much more. Kim Seul Gi is my favorite. The male lead ain't bad either. The romance was make you giddy and flushed perfection. The way they used history to tell the story was genius. It splash splashed it's way into my heart forever.
Missing Korea
May 21, 2016
Short, sweet, and fun, I definitely recommend it. Our female lead is feisty and headstrong, and our male lead is kind and generous. The story is lighthearted with no real drama or angst to be seen. Plus it's super short, so you can finish it in a morning's time.
Bitter Blood
May 21, 2016
What a satisfying watch! I haven’t been this thoroughly impressed with a drama in a While! Does part of me wish the romance had been developed more? Yes, but that’s only because I’m a sucker for a good romance. The drama didn’t actually need it. But that father son bromance was everything. Still holding out hope for a season 2.

(If I rewatched dramas, I would rewatch this one.)
Dropped 20/20
Noble, My Love
Dropped 0
Sooooo cute and the male lead made me want to punch him in the face half the time.

I stuck it out a verrrrrrry long time, waiting for him to realize he was a bossy jealous pants, but he didn't, and I realized I didn't want his bossy jealous pants in my life, so I dropped it 2 episodes before the end.

(Music is 1 because I don't remember what the music was like.)
Heroine Disqualified
Nov 8, 2018
Uuuuuuugh. This movie frustrated and angered me to the point that I quit it about 30 minutes from the end. (It's about 2 hours long total. I read spoilers for the ending in order to know what actually happened, because I had no plans of actually watching the ending myself.) I really hate teen movies (adult movies too) that do the whole back and forth, back and forth, back and forth thing for the sole purpose of there being some kind of drawn out conflict rather than simply writing a compelling and relatable story. (It makes me want to burst my own eardrums.) This movie...is one of those teen movies. The writers take an infinitely fascinating premise, a Heroine who's not actually the heroine of the story she thinks she is and has to figure out her true story, and then scrap it probably less than halfway through for your standard, uninspired take on teen romance. (Which I guess isn't actually the movie writers fault as this is based on a manga so they had to write based on the source material, but I haven't read the manga and don't know if it does the story any better or not, so I'm just gonna be mad at the film's scriptwriters for now.) Some of the more egregious plot points include cheating that goes unpunished and pretty much treated as not a big deal, a teenager with a history of dating an adult that the movie never makes any kind of declarative statement on how grossly inappropriate that is, a character faking an illness to trick another character into not leaving them, and just generally selfish and stupid behavior from the majority of our characters.

The story also starts with these honestly quite interesting characters (aside from the second male lead who's pretty much a card board cutout of every bad boy character ever) and then ruins pretty much all of them. (Maybe not the female lead so much, since she does stay pretty consistent throughout the movie, but that consistency isn't always a good thing. And again, the second male is a cardboard cutout, so there's not much there to really ruin.) I'm most upset though with how the second female lead is treated. She is this beyond sweet and selfless character until the very end where she's turned into a villain for the sole purpose of the leads having an excuse to be together. It's a disservice to her character and is used as a supposedly 'valid' reason to excuse both leads of being incredibly selfish themselves multiple times throughout the movie.

If you're a young teen/pre-teen, you will probably find this movie really romantic. As a 31 year old adult, I found it asinine and annoying. This is just not a good movie.

Age of Youth 2
Nov 3, 2017
Misaeng is my favorite drama of all time. I think it's one of the most important Korean dramas to have ever been made. So it's saying something when I say that Age of Youth 1 and 2 rival my love for Misaeng. I love these dramas.

Season 2 manages to do what most sequels can't do, and that's be just as good as the first season. Even three cast changes can't stop this drama from hitting it out of the park. There's no one in this drama you hate, no one you can't relate to in some way. The story tackles a number of heavy topics with deft hands and a gentle gaze. And just like season 1, you find yourself wishing you could be part of this group of girls, because you would never find any better friends than them.

This is a ten-star drama, and you need to watch it.

FUTURE EDIT: I need to add a caveat here that I didn't in my initial review for reasons I don't know anymore, but there is one thing about this drama that disappoints, and that is the lack of conclusion to what was the most anticipated romance in both seasons to date. But I temper that disappointment with the reckless faith that that simply means we will be getting a season 3 where the romance will come to fruition and all will be well and happy and beautiful with the world.

Also, I rebuke that episode 7 urn epilogue in the name of Jesus Christ. Get behind me Satan.

Dropped 13/16
Introverted Boss
Sep 15, 2017
Dropped 2
I was so hype for this drama. I'd just finished Age of Youth and was on a Hye Soo high. I loved, loved, loved the story idea. Shy, insecure characters are super relatable to me, and I love Love stories where the love interest builds up the shy, insecure character and helps them gain newfound confidence.

I wanted this to be good.

I was very disappointed by what it turned out to be.

Like most everyone else who watched this drama, Hye Soo's character went a bridge too far for me. The first two episodes were fun and light hearted, and while the female lead was very over the top, I still enjoyed her as a character. Her antics were a little ham but still understandable and relatable. In eps 3 and 4, her character took a real nosedive, and her personality went from initially over the top but fun to downright exacerbating. Her behavior resembled an Elementary school playground fight. It wasn't cute or funny anymore.

The writers realized, after eps 3 and 4, that the audience was Very disgruntled with the character, and they did what they could to tone her down and make her less annoying. And I think the changes worked. But I never regained the enthusiasm for the drama I had initially and ended up dropping it not far from the end.

I won't recommend this drama, but I won't tell you not to watch it either, because the missteps might not keep you from enjoying it like they did me. But go in aware.

Sweet 20
Jan 22, 2017
This web drama is like cotton candy. There is conflict and misunderstandings and a real uncertainty about who she's going to end up with at the end, but it's all so easy and pleasant to watch. The makeup tutorials are also a really nice touch. Obviously, they are the whole purpose of the drama, but they don't feel weird or out of place or even all that much like product placement. They're nice and simple and suitable for a wide variety of people. You don't even really need to use Innisfree makeup to do them, even though that's the only brand used. You can very easily recreate these looks with any other makeup brand out there.

Marathon
May 21, 2016
This movie is a bit of a mixture of indie and mainstream in terms of storytelling and filming style. But while the story is very good, and the acting is superb, the movie didn't really hit me like I feel it should have. I don't think that's the fault of the actors or writers or filmographers. I think it just doesn't do it for me. I would definitely suggest people give this movie a chance though, because it has a very good story to tell.
May 21, 2016
This is basically the story of my love life told from a guy's perspective, lol. Seiya is awkward, inexperienced with the opposite sex, and adorable as all get out. The only difference between us (apart from I'm not male) is he has a maid and a butler, and I have my own two hands and feet, lol.
Wool 100%
May 23, 2016
There's really no way to describe this movie. It's odd and unusual, and you don't really know what the point of it all is, and the ending will definitely leaving you scratching your head. But it's also sweet and quirky and kind of captures your heart.

At least it did mine.

It's not a movie for everyone, but I do think it's worth watching at least once.

If only so you can explain the ending to me, cause I still don't get it.
Go Back Couple
Nov 9, 2018
I've become very, very picky about my dramas in recent years. I know exactly what I like and exactly what I don't, and I simply cannot tolerate stories that don't suit my tastes anymore. Compare this to me from when I first got into dramas, or from just 3-4 years ago, the me who wanted to watch literally every drama ever made and couldn't drop a drama because of the intense guilt it made her feel. I would watch dramas I didn't even like. I would watch dramas that made me Miserable. I wanted to consume everything, and I felt like a failure when I couldn't.

I've come a long way since then.

And I can say today with certainty, that this drama ticks each and every one of my drama requirement boxes.

Conflict that feels real and relatable and like it serves a purpose in the overall story? Check!
Characters that I can love deeply or love to hate deeply? Check!
Something in the premise that is deeply personal to me and relates to my own life in some way? Check!
Really, bloody good romance? Check, check!

The main conflict is, obviously, the break down of the leads marriage. I was very pleased to see the writers make things fair and even. Instead of the breakdown of their marriage being all one person's fault, it's a series of, mostly unintentional, things on both sides that built up over time. Neither character is really at fault or really a bad guy. They just became caught up in their own little worlds and forgot how to communicate with each other, and things began to fall apart from there.

There's a heavy focus on the relationship between our female lead and her mother, something that becomes one of the driving forces behind the entire story, and deservedly so. Their relationship is the foundation on which the female leads life is ultimately built, and it's through her second chance at spending time with her mother that a lot of the healing for her in the future comes out of.

With the exception of one character, there's no one you ever come to hate, or even dislike, in the story. Every character is someone you want to see happy and successful in life. And the person you hate is very much a love to hate character, and it brings you immense joy to see them knocked down several pegs.

And finally (with one caveat) I would say the finale is literal perfection. Everything plays out exactly as it should with every character getting the ending they deserve. (Except for two characters who's future's we don't get to see and it would have been nice to know what happened to them, but it's a flaw I can forgive since everything else about the finale is so well done.) I honestly can't remember if I've seen another drama with an ending so perfectly executed.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes their stories more on the realistic and relatable side, as it is both of these things. This is a satisfying watch.

Herb
Nov 4, 2018
This movie is really sweet. It treats mental disability kindly and thoughtfully, creating a character who is more than 'disabled' but a fully interesting human being with talents and gifts, a person worth getting to know.

I was disappointed that she couldn't be with the guy in the end, because I would love to see more stories about those with disabilities living average, normal lives like those of us without disabilities (because it's a real thing that's possible, folks), but I'm doing my best to temper those feelings with the knowledge that it was more realistic and honest for her not to in this particular story. And even without romance, she still goes on to find her own independence in a way that is best for her.

This will make you cry a few times, as there are a few sad things that happen, but it will ultimately leave you feeling hopeful and happy, because the female lead is living a good life doing good things. This is a good movie, and I suggest giving it a viewing.