The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

• Members: 24,949

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo (2016)

Malu
Jan 12, 2017
I know there are already many reviews but I never felt such urgency to tell how much I have loved a show.
This drama was so refreshing and comforting, a complete year-end surprise. Never two friends became lovers so naturally. Never friendship, family and love were portrayed as adorably well as here. I didn't expect it to be so addictive and beautiful, I'm speechless.

STORY
The story itself seemed very attractive, but after seeing the first ep I felt somewhat disappointed. But thank God I didn't dropped it! From the fourth episode the quality increased a lot, the story took shape and the characters looked better defined. No doubt they took full advantage of this beautiful plot that only took the sport as an excuse to show how two friends fall in love as they struggle to achieve their dreams. No weak characters, no idiots and abusive male leads. I love the way this portrays the youth and its warmth.

ACTING
Applause for everyone! If I was already surprised by the drastic change of character Sung Kyung ventured into when she accepted this role, I was more surprised when I saw Joo Hyuk's adorable performance, which translated into the couple's insuperable chemistry. Seriously, I can never accept that they don't act side by side.
The secondary performances were also more than charming.

OVERALL
I finished this drama full of hope, as if suddenly I had injected a great dose of energy to get ahead. All of it reminds you how beautiful life can be. Give yourself the pleasure of watching this drama! Impossible to repent later. Oh and I almost forgot: SWAAAAAG!

94loveKdrama
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo: NJH AND LSK ARE DATING IN REAL LIFE
A drama filled with so much beautiful meaning into it. A very healthy, sensible, genuine kind of story as to friendship, family, love, goal, career and priority. It is really funny especially with that "WHAAAAAT!" lol. Plus this drama is such a TROLL not everything you'd expect will happen, It will take you by surprise and you'll find yourself laughing. The edge of this drama from the one's I've watch? It's not the feels but the message it brought me, It was truly amazing.

CHARACTERS
Kim Bok Joo and Joon Hyeong is the best love story I've watch, a kind of relationship that would bring out the best in you, filled with overload cuteness, realistic a normal one. Phasing of their story is slow but slow kind of stories turned out to be awesomely perfect! They are so friendship and relationship goaaaals!!

Kim Bok Joo
This girl is totally relatable, when she's in love, to music taste, to clothes, to fangirling activities. Everything about her is suweeeeeeeeeeg!

Let's talk about the male lead. Joon Hyeong, ok I'll keep it short his character is so boyfriend material, a kind of guy you want to keep in yourself, in your life.

Ex girlfriend: OK she's the "only one cliche" here like a kind of clingy ex you'll hate but her existence didn't much affect me.

Friends: yes a very fun friends to be with
Abujji and samcheon: You'll love the father and daughter relationship, samcheon is very sweet, likeable and so kind plus funny.

Actors and Actress:
Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk both are great and I know it's not related here but I just want them to date for life. lol
Edit: They are officially dating not as characters but as real life couple!!!! Confirmed by Papa YG this month of April 2017. According to dispatch they've been dating since month of January 2017
Everyone else of the cast is so good ofc!

LESSON: Every girl deserves to be treated as a girl, a woman despite of any career she's into like Police, Carpenter, Judo, Boxing, Weightlifters.... Those fields are mostly for men so they're like boys into other people's eyes but ...Hell they shouldn't! They are girls too! Who would love to wear dress, wears clip, wears lipstick and wants to be beautiful especially when they're In front of the guy they like. I think they're the coolest girl ever with a suweeeeeeeeeeg!!
(There's more into lessons, life, meaning into this drama I just give you some points about it. Kekekke)

RECOMMENDATION:
Even though I so love this drama. I would not recommend it for everyone, this is a kind of a kind of drama that targets a certain group of viewers. I'd highly recommend it to the youth like from age bracket of teenagers to 25 years or if not by age depends with your personality like if your happy go lucky one, or if you love reading my review and it keeps your interest, the genre is your style then you'll definitely love it despite of your age. This drama is slow yes. Could be an advantage or disadvantage. You just gotta be patient with it and everything will be worth it and it will perfectly fits into place.

I always enjoy the sound effects in funny scenes that's the best thing like "WHAAAAAT"!

Rewatch Value: I thought one time viewing is enough or just rewatch a certain scene would be enough but as I watch more episode I become more attached with the story and I was like I need to watch this as a whole over and over again.

Overall: one word, SWAG!

Writing a review feels like I'm saying goodbye to this drama for the second time around that it hurts so much.... *Wiped tears*

Kim Bok Joo and Joon Hyeong is so lovable, I would not mind watching another season with them or another drama from LSK and NJH..~

Warning: if you deeply love the story, the characters, once you complete this drama you'll feel incomplete, a happy one but it will make you sad.

It will always have a special place in my heart.

Ok before I end my review I have a question for you. Ummmm... Do you like Messi? Hahahaha!! Nevermind. Anyways hope my review helps!!!

amrita828
Feb 9, 2017
The reason why I chose this drama among the lot, is the number of great reviews it got. I've read words like "perfect", "unforgettable" and "awesome" in regard to it, so I started with more than a little expectation. These high praises are also the reason why I'm writing a review myself; because perhaps out there there's someone like me who'd find words like "bland", "silly" or "yawn inducing" much more befitting to this particular drama.

The plot is sweet enough, but I truly fail to see its purpose. The premises, that is, a girly girl who lifts heavy weights, could have been everyone else that comes to mind – a clown, a dock worker, a truck driver or a simple student. The sport of weightlifting itself does absolutely nothing to deeply define this girl, except for 2 details: 1st, the hardship of balancing love for this sport with the basic womanly needs of being pretty; 2nd, the ridiculous choice of main actress, who is as believable as a weightlifter as I am as the first queen of Goryeo.
In Cheese in the Trap, the last drama I saw her acting in, someone called her "a giraffe", which I'd say is quite accurate a description. Lee Sung Kyung is tall, thin and beautiful, and her acting here consists of an alternation of pouts and a goofy gate that should lead us to believe she's not feminine. While watching, I spent a lot of time deciding whether I should raise one eyebrow or both.

The humour is off, at least for my taste. I didn't laugh once. There's too much screaming and wrestling, and most of all, there's too much eating. When I enter the realm of Korean drama, I'm psychologically prepared to see people eat at every opportunity, but here they really don't do much more. The quantity of food – and junk food – shoved into everyone's mouth is such that I got nauseous.

Acting is average. None of the actors shine in his or her performance, possibly because the script has no room for deep characterization. This isn't even a coming of age kind of story, since all characters end up being basically the same they were in the beginning, but with a partner. All the interesting cues, those that somehow delved deeper into the emotions of some characters, are conveniently skimmed and resolved in the space of a few minutes. Everyone lies to everyone else and calls it either friendship or protection. Bah.

There is some music… I think.

Never to be rewatched. Once was enough to establish this is not my kind of drama and simply forget about it. My 6 is due to the fact that I completed it.

Noor Fatimah
Dec 29, 2016
This drama ruined something for me. I will never be able to watch the lead actor and actress with any other actor or actress. They are adorable to the point that I am literally screaming. This drama is beyond awesome. If you are not interested in historical, political, crime or any other sort of K-drama genre, I highly recommend this drama. I promise, it will kill you with its sweetness. Those of you who are wasting time watching Legend of blue sea and such, watch this. LOTBS is good in its own way but is no comparison to this drama.
Emily
Feb 10, 2017
While I was quite excited to start Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, I can not say that this show delivered as much as I expected. I definitely laughed, and the actors in the show were excellent, but the plot line just did not catch my interest in the way I hoped it would.
Overall, the story itself is pretty simple and typical. This is not to say that the storyline itself is bad; it is a good show for casual viewing and for those looking for something heartwarming to kill time. However, if you are looking for something fresh and original, I would not say that this drama nails that on the head. I found that the plot lacked much individuality besides the main protagonist being a weightlifter. The story itself is pretty predictable and follows the traditional kdrama "childhood friend love story" plot line.
Would I rewatch this show? No. Would I recommend it to someone who likes love stories? Yeah, sure.

Alessa
Jan 12, 2017
I’ve never felt so empty (yet so fulfilled) when a drama finished.
This is how good “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo” is.

In short, for those of you who are impatient, is a very sweet, yet very real drama, about friendship, family, love and coming of age.
But there’s so much grace in how it’s done, that it deserves a more detailed explanation.

The plot is very (very) simple, yet very well written. The story follows Bok Joo; a young girl in the campus of a sports university (?), that happens to practice weightlifting. That’s nearly all you will get to know about weightlifting (it could have been golf and there would’ve been no difference, so worry not about the topic. I’m mentioning this because I know the “weightlifting theme” could been a throwback to some).
Bok Joo has a group a friends; a romantic crush; a family; a passion (weightlifting of course), all the things and problems that any standard teenager experiences. The hole plot revolves around her and (again) the normal things that could happen to a normal teenager. The difference to other dramas, is that everything FEELS real. And that’s rare.
How many times did we found ourselves hating the protagonist or wanting to smash the TV because we couldn’t understand the decisions they made? Of course, deep down we now the writer makes them do that in order to fulfill the number of episodes that they need. But nothing like that happens here. The characters (and their dialogues) are delightfully written; each one consistent with each personality (which are very rich and most important, real life people), and they are incredible lovable. The writer skillfully makes you fall in love with each one of them (including the ones you initially “hate”) because you get understand them all.
Also, the character development is done very progressively (although that doesn’t mean that the show is “slow”); I’ll assure you, you will enjoy every second of Bok Joo & friends, as they discover who they are, and who they want to be in the world.

The acting not only is superb (everybody does their job so well and they’re SO believable); but the chemistry between Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo-hyuk is one of the best I’ve ever seen.
I was really surprised by Lee Sung Kyung! At first I was really skeptic but despite her character being adorably written, she also does a fantastic job in making you believe her. Her expressions and her body language is fantastic.

The music is very good also, and it respects the tone of the series, really sweet, but it's something that I rarely pay attention to, so there's not much I have to say about it.

Finally I wish to remark that despite all the good things I said, that alone it's not enough to be one of the best dramas I've ever seen (and the only one that has a 10 on my scores), it is because adding to all that there's the way it makes you feel. This drama is sweet, so sweet that every episode you'll watch it will feel as a warm ray of sunshine (and not cheese at all, that's only my poor metaphor choice). You'll find yourself smiling at the TV at all times. And that doesn't mean there aren't any sad moments, because there are, but it's not kdrama tragedy, it's real life problems/sadness. And the show has a very optimistic way to portrait it; instead of having you crying about how unfair life is, you'll be rooting for the characters as they (not without effort) overcome their problems and grow up in the process.

This drama accomplishes the (almost) impossible: It's sweet, joyful and innocent, (without feeling cheesy) and at the same time it's mature and realistic.

So, I'll definitely recommend this to anyone, despite what your preferences are, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and it will bring you joy.
Kim Bok Joo is SWAG! :)

DaeMin
Dec 29, 2016
Weightlifting? Maybe you're reading this review because you're doubting on starting this due to its athletic theme. Trust me, I hesitated like you too. I've always watched Korean dramas because they were popular and had really good ratings, but I have come across one of the best K-dramas yet just because of a recommendation by a friend who watches and tries a lot of Korean dramas. She knew I was choosy, so I decided to give it a shot. If only the Legend of the Blue Sea did not cast popular actors and had the same time slot, this drama would shine in all its glory.

Honestly, this is a breath of fresh air and a gem in a sea of rocks. For all we know, most stories would turn the "ugly" girl into a swan and the boy would eventually realize that he is in love with her, but this one is an exception. I love how it portrays college love/first love as it really is. A warm and fuzzy feeling. Usually, these dramas are one of the cringe-all-you-can types, but I've found it the opposite of that (even my brother who doesn't watch Korean dramas agrees that this one does not make him cringe at all). It's not even the cliche kind that we're getting tired of. The story's progression is so realistic that it won't leave you impatient for the leads to uncover their feelings.

The goodness of dramas are not based on popularity and ratings and this one proves it (to think that this is the first review I've made because it really made a mark on me). If you are reading this, hear me out and watch this gem! The music is so good, the story is transparent, simple and admirable, the cast has the BEST chemistry (kudos to the casting team for picking so well!), and the acting is exceptional! I'd definitely watch this over and over again. There are no fuss and frills in this drama. You will really feel the honesty and sincerity of the characters' feelings. It's like they are not acting but really portraying the characters as they are and it will leave you confused if they are really like that in real life. Everything is just so sincere that reel becomes REAL! I actually regret that I've ever hesitated on watching this. The transparency and lightness of this drama will make you feel a lot of honest and fuzzy feelings, so if you're thinking about watching it, stop hesitating and watch it now!

PKsuperfan
Apr 10, 2017
Pure romance hidden in a sport drama. When I first started watching this drama it seemed like it was going to be a sport drama with a slight bit of romance, so I wasn't sure how long I was going to keep watching it. In fact, my sibling stopped watching it too early because they thought it was going to be all about sports.

But, I kept on through the first two episodes or so where the romance was very slow and at first did not seem to be what the story was going to be about. But, I was so dead wrong. Yes, there are parts of the plot just about the sport they are in, but, that just gradually became like the background to the romance.

The romance is best friends finally becoming more than friends, which comes off as really sweet and I just love the relationship they have. When they struggle they lean on each other and it is a really good example of a real relationship in real life. I felt like they were truly in love with each other and definitely I would love to see them in a drama again with each other.

The music was sweet and awesome and I love listening to the music all the time. For sure this is a romance to rewatch.

sweetmint
Jan 14, 2017
Daebak. This drama was, in one word, amazing. Everything was perfect, from the storyline to the music to the cast to the romance. I don't think I've ever watched a drama that was so cute and fluffy and just filled with pure love like this one. The fact that there weren't any characters you wanted to just rip into pieces, no ridiculous plot elements, and no meddling parents is what really made this drama different. Everything was just so perfect.

To start off, Joon Hyung was the most kind, caring, and sweet boyfriend that I have seen in a drama. He cared about Bok Joo so much and wasn't a jerk like other kdrama male leads. And Bok Joo was adorable, even though she played a weightlifter and wore some pretty nerdy clothes at times, but you can still see how pretty and true to life she really is. Their chemistry together is one of the best that I've seen; no moment that they were together was dull. There were so supportive of each other and they depicted a love that was very realistic and pure without any cliches like other dramas.

There were so many supportive characters and I loved every single one of them. Bok Joo's friends were always so supportive of her, and it really made me realize how important it is to have such amazing friends like them, and at times made me envious of Bok Joo for having such great friends. Not to mention, Joon Hyung's friend was hilarious and I loved watching his interactions with Bok Joo's friends.

I have to admit, at first, when I heard that this drama revolved around a sports theme with weightlifting, I had my doubts about watching this drama because personally, I don't like that style because most dramas I watched with sports themes don't turn out very well (but I decided to give it a shot bc Nam Joo Hyuk). But gosh did this drama prove me wrong. The sports theme added elements of hope and ambition that wouldn't be there otherwise.

This drama just proves that not every drama has to have a complicated storyline or evil characters that get in the way, because this drama had none of that and was still so amazing, and the high rating this drama has is really justified by it. I definitely hope that more dramas have pure romances and happy stories like this one!

Ekteneia
Mar 4, 2017
When I started watching this drama, I did not have any expectations at all. I liked the subject of weightlifting – it is the reason I started watching this in the first place –, other than that anything else seemed familiar. It is a story of friendship, growing up, personal development, and the first love/crush, and it is done quite well!

It is a calm, funny slice of life drama, nothing really extraordinary happens. There are very few cliffhangers, but they were nasty ones so I had to watch the next episode immediately. The first half consists of subliminal messages and hints, while in the second half things start to get real.

What distinguishes this show from other dramas is that, despite some exaggerations and the utter silliness, the realism is strong with “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo”. I think a lot of you guys could relate to some situations and Bok Joo’s behavior, at least I could. Furthermore, the plots are surprisingly well-balanced, and even though most of them have been used several times already, they still are nicely presented and built up. Another thing that I considered positive is the fact that the makers did not focus totally on the romance part towards the end, but still had other stories to tell. Don’t expect explosive feelings and hot kiss scenes, because this main couple’s relationship is purity, innocence, and awkwardness combined. It is perfectly fine the way it is in my opinion.

The acting was good. The main couple has really good chemistry together. Jung Joon Hyeong is a kind and caring character, yet he is not as one dimensional as a lot of the good guys out there. Often this type of character tends to become shallow and uninteresting, but Jung Joon Hyeong does not, because he is well thought through and charming. For me, Song Shi Ho underwent the greatest character development in this series and I was very happy for her. I did not like Jae Yi, and I was not interested in his story that much, he was too much of a device. Kim Bok Joo is hilarious. I really, really liked the actress’s facial expressions and movements. Bok Joo’s friends and Joon Hyeong’s pal were enjoyable and generated lots of comical situations.

I do not have any complaints about the music, it suited the situations well, and I enjoyed the funny sound effects und the meme-like reactions.

If I were someone who is not bothered by rewatching stuff, I would not rewatch this. I do not regret watching this series and 8.0 is a solid rating, but I did not feel like it was somethings precious and special to me.

Let's talk about the things that bothered me. It might be a highly subjective matter, I will say it out loud nonetheless: I felt like the entire drama is loaded with filters. The colors are artificially bright, their faces extremely beautified, especially the face of the female lead. It was irritating. That brings up another point that irked me. But first off: I think Lee Sung Kyung is gorgeous and a good actress.

However, as far as I understood Bok Joo is a girl that actually doesn’t use makeup... Honestly, you can almost touch it through the screen. And I’m sorry to say this, but she is too pretty for this role. You simply cannot recruit an objectively pretty woman for your show, put makeup on her and depict her as “not that pretty” in the series just because she lifts weights and wears baggy pants. The makers should have dropped the makeup completely leastwise. I wished I got answers to some questions that were brought up, but in the end, I was not bugged that much.

All in all “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo” is an enjoyable drama, but I cannot say I went totally crazy about it.

KatySarang_TGeyes
Feb 14, 2017
This drama was pretty cute. There are some good lessons, subtle but still there. The characters are believable and relatable (especially joon hyeong, he reminds me of some of my guy friends). I really liked the growth of joon hyeong's and shi oh's character. I thought they could've given a bit more depth to bok joo's character. She kept on making the same mistakes over and over again, but if we're being real we all do that tbh. I like how the romance was slow. It was a friends first and then lovers, which is my favorite type personally. This drama is definitely not cliche. For four main reasons. 1. they don't drag out problems, they deal with them in a realistic way. 2. joon hyeong is sorta like a second-male lead that gets the girl. 3. they actually take time to develop shi oh's character (second female lead) 4. this drama is actually about bok joo, lol dramas usually focus on the guy's story but this is truly bok joo's story. I will admit that this drama is a bit cheesy, but it's part of it's charm :) The only reason this is an 8.5 and not a 10 is because bok joo seemed a bit self-centered and childish at times. But not so much so that I wouldn't reccomend it! I would definitely reccomend this drama! And last thing I want to say is props to the guy who played joon hyeong. He did an amazing job in this drama and played his character in such a believable and realistic way. I'll definitely watch more stuff from him in the future. This drama was definitely swaaag I'd totally recommend it!

DragonAlien
Jan 11, 2017
So healthy. Kim Bok Joo is one damn healthy drama. I couldn't find more appropriate way to describe it with one word. Drama that will sweep you off your feet with its engaging story, lovely characters, interesting humor, beautiful scenery, wonderful music and amazing writing. I'm not usually good at writing about romantic comedies as I'm not some vivid fan of them but let me tell you that this kind of romantic comedy wasn't seen until now. It really wasn't. On the first look it may seem like a typical Korean drama full of cliches and repetitive plot but as soon as you dive a bit deeper you'll see it's so far from that. I think this is actually the most untypical typical drama that has all kind of cliches packed so great that in the end all those cliches simply disappear and you're left with something different, a breath of fresh air that crawls under your skin and steals your hear for a lifetime.

Being a sport theme drama, it could be a turn off for some of you. But don't let that affect you, just skip that and watch it because sport is there just a setting for real plot. Okay, you have sport university and some competitions in swimming and weightlifting but it really doesn't get boring or concentrate on that. The main focus is on one girl and life around her, her family, friends and love life. How she with help of all those people gets to become confident, mature brave young woman who strives for the best and with hard work make her dreams come true.We follow her journey through all that, her first crush, her first pain, her tears, sweat and fail, her smile, happiness and excitement, her confusion and realization what is actually love and whom she really loves and finally her will to accept herself fully and be the best in weightlifting.
I enjoyed in watching all her journey, in all the details this drama gave me in past two months- Kim Bok Joo with her friends who are best friends one could have- three of them are indeed an epitome of AWESOMENESS, their firm friendship full of trust, care, adventures and funny moments; Kim Bok Joo with her family, her dad and uncle were highlight of this drama and I truly loved watching them love each other that much, one of the best family relationships shown in dramaland; Bok Joo wih her coaches, those two people who helped her and were beside her all the way, who encouraged her and were there in both celebrating and bittersweet times; and finally Bok Joo with Joon Hyeong.
I dare to say that this couple, these two amazing living creatures are one the best characters written out there, couple that really became a synonym of trust, respect, love and untypical uniqueness. I loved them separated and I loved them together, I think both are truly good people who, like any of us have their own insecurities and fears, and who simply wish the best for their loved ones. They really care for their family and friends and they really try and work so hard to become good, better and the best at what they're doing. In the end they left me with feelings of full admiration and love for them. Their relationship is one of the healthiest I've seen, if not THE healthiest. Filled with humor, funny moments, teasing, bickering, great chemistry, with such natural and easiness, trust and without any stupid misunderstanding, whenever you think "oh now they're gonna mess it up like in every other drama", they surprise you with simple and normal way of dealing with all the problems, writing is just too good. And that is the best part of this drama, original, refreshing, atypical, great writing.

The actors are great too, each of them fitted the role perfectly and each of them tried to give a good performance. I really liked them all with some of them who stole my heart in a second -Nam Joo Hyuk, Lee Sung Kyung and Lee Joo Young as Sun Ok, those three somehow stood out the most. The leads were indeed great, actors did a wonderful job in portraying all right emotions when they should and actually they kinda surprised me which is good, I'll be looking forward seeing their work more and more, definitely won me here. But I guess everyone in this drama won me over, that's how much I loved it. ;)

Plus with some positive vibes and melodies, and some great outdoor shots, beautiful sceneries, I think this drama has it all. And it really deserves to be praised.
Where you have friendship that is so raw, real and pure, where you have family bond where nothing could destroy it and where you do all that you can for your beloved creature, where you have a guy who is probably the most untypical male lead in dramaland and who is literally the best guy you could ever meet and when that same guy loves you in such a normal, natural, feel good way, where you have a team that actually cheer for you without any backstabbing, when you have all that plus your own strength and will, I think you have the whole world under your feet. This is the message that Kim Bok Joo left me, simple yet heartwarming lesson- that all the people are ordinary people and that we all with the power that comes from our hearts and from the hearts of our loved ones, we can become extraordinary. Just believe in yourself, never give up and SWAG.