My Little Princess

Keona8
Oct 4, 2016
I simply liked this drama! If you are looking for a cute rom-com, don't hesitate to watch it!
I have to admit that at first I watched it because of Mike D. Angelo who plays the part of Jiang Nian Yu but to my surprise I really enjoyed this drama and all the cast.
This is not the drama of the century and there is nothing new in dramaland but the story of the OTP was really cute. I enjoyed every little moment they had!
To my surprise, I really liked the heroine. She is rich, haughty but honest and has a wild imagination. She's a fan of BL mangas and it was really funny to follow her mind. It was refreshing to see the "poor and the innocent girl" as the villain second lead.
The OST "Because of You" by By2 will stay in your head!
At the end, there was a lot of flashbacks but I am very happy to not have missed this drama!
I highly recommend it!

madforthis
Nov 21, 2016
This drama is adorable. It's lighthearted and fun with a not so typical female lead. The main character as opposed to being poor and shy like your typical heroine is a rich girl who ,while definitely spoiled, is very confident in herself, knows exactly who she is, and is nicer than everyone gives her credit for.

I binged the whole series and didn't regret it. The acting is great, lots of laughs all the way through, the romance is swoon-worthy (ugh the main guy's devotion to her is unreal ~jealous~), and even the more emotional parts of the drama are well done. No, this is not a masterpiece but definitely worth watching.

Hayleyshy
May 17, 2018
This drama really surprised me, and I enjoyed it wayyyy more than I ever thought I would!

Initially, I had tried to watch this drama on more than one occasion but could not get past the first two episodes. However, after finishing “I Cannot Hug You” and growing to like Zhang Yu Xi after initially being put off by her acting, I decided to give it another shot. (Note: I also tried on multiple occasions to get interested in “I Cannot Hug You”, but after making it to episode 3, I was hooked!)

In my opinion, My Little Princess was entirely addicting. I binged the whole show in two days and it had me laughing and giggling and immersed the whole way through. Sure, the acting and storyline were questionable but it was so much fun!! It was also so refreshing to find a drama where the male lead is the one who falls first and is sweet and protective the whole way through. It is the female lead who is wealthy and slowly warms up to him. In addition, there is such fantastic chemistry in this drama that it allows you to look past some of its flaws.

Definitely give this drama a shot if you are interested in semi-cheesy, high school dramas with a whole lot of chemistry, that are lighthearted and all around a pleasure to watch. (I know, I am a sucker for them!) Highly recommend.

Kiromenanz
Jan 8, 2017
I love this show to pieces, although technically, it's kind of bad. But somehow, it caught me from the very beginning and I binge-watched it in two days and enjoyed every minute of it.

On the one hand, the story is refreshingly new: We start out with the girl who would be the antagonist in every other show we watch. She's rich, she's spoiled, she's thoughtless and sometimes rude, she kind of believes she's entitled to other people's attention. The good, poor, sweet girl who would usually be our protagonist is actually the girl our protagonist is up against. It's a fun twist, mostly because although she's a spoiled princess, the female lead is very lovable. You'll see her good points quickly, and come to love her for them (at least I did).

On the other hand the story is chock-full of clichés, which for some reason doesn't make it any less refreshing. You have all the typical tropes you expect, all the accidental skinship, misunderstandings and twists. But, partly because Xing Chen is very straightforward, they sometimes take unexpected twists.

If you want cute, lovable characters, a fun storyline and occasionally slapstick humor, you won't be disappointed. The interaction between the lead couple is incredibly cute, they are so adorable. But please also be prepared for seemingly random interactions (you know those moments when people in dramas stumble and fall into positions where you think "how on earth did that happen??" – yeah, those kind of things). Small elements of the plot are dropped, and there's very little consequences to people's actions, especially short term.

The whole story is sparkly, cute and bubbly, and it is (as you might have guessed from the title) very fairytale. But it is enjoyable. If you're looking for a romantic comedy that's lighthearted and keeps you entertained, I think this might be it. Also it's rather fast-paced. There are hardly any scenes where you might be tempted to skip through, because almost all of them are relevant to the character's relationships or their feelings. Very little "scheming old men/evil mom" scenes, if you know what I mean. It's just unapologetic fluff from beginning to end, with a healthy dose of drama and obstacles thrown into the characters' way, but never so much that you start getting bored of the hurt.

Acting/Cast:

Nothing out of the ordinary. If you know Chinese drama, you know to expect fairly horrible dubbing in places. Funnily enough, Mike's works the best out of all the leads somehow. It didn't bother me at all for some reason (too caught up in the cuteness), but the dubbing is there. However, considering the sometimes outrageously far-fetched scenes (especially the falling scenes) and the cheesiness, I think the actors did rather well. (Also, they're all of them very good looking. I especially fell in love with Xing Chen and Yang Yang, they're incredibly pretty! Seriously, you could watch this show just for the eye-candy alone).

I rated this rather highly because, although you only have one memorable song that's repeated through the whole drama, it's a very catchy song. I know, that should maybe be a point deduction for some, but as I'm writing it the song is still stuck in my head. And although the English grammar isn't really right at all, it's still really sweet and I somehow love it.

Rewatch Value:

I might just rewatch this, I just loved the cuteness and Xing Chen. I'd just rewatch it for all her scenes.

Overall:

It's a little gem in the cheesy rom com category. I haven't watched this kind of drama since I first started watching drama years ago, but it's so beautifully clichéd, hilariously cute, I just couldn't stop watching. I'd definitely recommend it, but you should know that you're not getting into a drama that you should take seriously here.

BUT:

A word of warning, especially for the musicians among us: Even to me, who hasn't touched about 90% of the instruments featured in this drama, it was obvious that the songs they were "playing" didn't fit their movements at all. It is so blatant that it might be off-putting for some. Also, as emotionally satisfying as the last episode is, it is so extremely ridiculous in places that I laughed out loud.

At the time when I'm writing this there are subbed episodes available on multiple sites. But episode 3 wasn't subbed completely, with about 40% of it missing, and the subs in the following episodes were sometimes VERY grammatically wonky. Once or twice for a few minutes the music went out of control or the subs would stop for one or two sentences. I was so devoted to this show that I didn't even mind, but it should be mentioned.

I hope I didn't put you off it, because it's truly very sweet and I do not regret any second I spent on it :)

Megan
Oct 12, 2016
This drama is SO stinkin' cute. It is positively cartoonish and I adore it. The dubbing takes awhile to get used to, but it is worth it. I was having a really rough week when I started this show and this was the perfect tonic of lightness to help lift my mood.

She's the poor little rich girl who just wants some genuine love in life. She really does try hard to be what her mothers want her to be: a pretty little doll of a Princess that can be sold. The lead is your typical unemotional dude - except for when he's in bear costume. Her nickname for him is literally "Cold Face". He quickly comes to understand her in a way no one else does.

The show is chock full of cliches, but in the best possible way: they are full embraced and played with. I like a show that takes the standard tropes and has some fun with them. For instance it takes a while to figure out the "oh so sweet and perfect" Candy character. Is she sweet? Weak? Secretly manipulative?

soyeonsama
Feb 17, 2018
Okay, I like the story line but I just hate Yu Yangyang as a character. She plays this innocent but secretly super scheme-y character. I hate that aspect in every single drama. The way she tries to make herself seem like the victim and play the innocent character while her words are full of darkness is truly terrifying and makes me want to pull my hair out. Normally, in a drama like this where there is this rich girl and a poor girl, the poor girl always try to let herself take everything in but the way this drama is written, the poor girl tries to persuade others around her that she is taking it in while leaving super OBVIOUS hints (aka saying it out loud with a crying face) about what she really wants. It's a good plot twist but that just annoys me so much. The way the character is also written to make the main characters seem like the bad guy when it's not even their doing aggravates me so much too. I was very excited about watching this because there was a review saying that the characters in this drama are very likable but I would like to strongly disagree right now. Sorry for the rant and maybe some spoilers but I most definitely won't watch this drama again.

Deadly Assassin
Nov 26, 2018
Zhang Yuxi made me love this show. Adorable, mesmerizing, face that you cannot have enough. hope they make more roles for her like this one. I watched most of her show and I am craving for more of her as main roles and sweet and innocent characters. I recommend this show to anyone who is looking for a good sweet, loving, funny drama shows. I guarantee that you will fall in love with her and her roles. She is a rare beauty and very likeable. the show gave me some good fantasy and made me imagine a love that we used to have. nowadays people do not care about loyalty and treat their sex like breakfast and how good they have to look. This show makes me remember the importance of trust, loyalty, sincerity, and honesty which is rarely found in this day and age. now if you hug someone you can be called a rapist or charge with assault and ruin your life. This show gives me hope that relationship, self-preservation and familial values will remain. China's core value always makes me proud of being half Chinese.

kpop nation
May 14, 2017
I am not really a fan of C-Dramas, more the K-drama type of person. However, I picked up this drama and I really enjoyed it. Even though the plot wasn't extra-ordinary, it was not as cliche as I had expected it to be. Although most plots has depicted the main lead, Xin Chen as an arrogant and spoilt girl who wanted to be treated like a princess, I had actually liked her personality. She is talented, confident and tough at times. The story was catching and refreshing to the cliche K-dramas i usually watch. Also, all the leads are really hot and pretty! ;) Its worth a try!

XiaoZhanoppa
Feb 21, 2017
My Little Princess is super cute (rom-com). Rayli Zhang Yuxi (female lead) is pretty *no one can deny it* she fits the character (rich, fabulous, beautiful). Zhang YuXi's fits the *Princess Disease*.

At first, he tries to get Kenji (rival of the male lead) because it;s her fiance. But Kenji fells inlove with a shy-typo girl. Then he always runs to Mike D' Angelo (male lead). They act cutely superb cute! But as the days forwards Kenji slowly falls inlove with Zhang YuXi, but Zhang already fall in love with Mike.

Please watch it! I even got sad when it's about to end. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Benefits?? SUPERB CUTE THAN EVER!

Oh! Before I forgot, view tha OST. It's so good! Title : Because of You by2girl and PONPONPON. :)
Aye, 10/10!!!!

Bbebe
Nov 24, 2018
I very like this drama because in My little princess drama any romance scene and comedy.
I hope them realy couple in reality life.
Mike yuxi forever
Mike d Angelo love zhang yuxi...
Mike d Angelo ? zhang yuxi
I very miss them together
Please come back with new drama with Mike d Angelo and Zhang yuxi.
Please comeback with the new drama with Mike d Angelo and Zhang yuxi.
From all the drama ever i watch thats drama most nice because Lin Xing Chen and Jian nian yu very romance couple.
I very hope them realy a couple in realy life.
I very like Mike d Angelo and Zhang yuxi together

Derpola
Jan 7, 2018
I honestly love this show! I like the whole 'Bear Knight' thing. What bothered me was the protagonist with her common rich girl attitude. But that eventually changed. I want to see more dramas related to "My Little Princess" and "Dear Prince"! They're both about 'royalty' or some kind of 'Princess/Prince' syndrome and they both eventually meet someone to get rid of it.  //  Yang Yang got on my nerves a lot. She played innocent then rude girl the next. It confused me a lot what her personality was. Yang Yang never appeared a lot since she was a support role.  //  This is my second drama with Zhang Yu Xi in it. She's really pretty. :)

celestialocean
Feb 21, 2019
This show is definitely a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it overall. Many aspects of it are either ridiculous or poorly executed. The "bear knight" concept (that is, the male lead rescuing or offering comfort to the female lead while disguised as a teddy bear mascot) was initially somewhat cute and funny. It's a bit silly for my taste, but it would have been fine if limited to a few instances in mostly believable circumstances. Instead, it was used in situations that interfered with my ability to suspend disbelief even in a show like this, and it was overused to death. What started out as kind of cute was just obnoxious by the end.

The orchestra scenes were laughable in how poorly the actors pretended to play their instruments and in how poorly the music matched their playing. (Of course they can't be expected to master an instrument for a part, but it really would not have been too much effort for at least the main characters to be somewhat convincing. I blame the director for this rather than the actors, though.) And I was honestly shocked that a professionally produced show would include watermarked stock images. That's a pretty inexcusable oversight. I get that this is a lighthearted romantic comedy, but a bit more professionalism would have been nice.

That said, it is still a pretty fun drama overall in spite of its considerable flaws. It has a more "old-school drama" feel somehow, perhaps because it is intended in part to be a parody of shows such as Boys Over Flowers/Meteor Garden and Heirs (all of which I've seen some of but never managed to complete). As such, it is chock-full of some of the most overused tropes and nothing is particularly unpredictable, but the two main characters make up for that with their charisma and chemistry. It also helps that the tone of the show is lighthearted and humorous overall (which is exactly what I was looking for).

Lin Xing Chen could have been an easy character to dislike since she has been raised to think of herself as being above ordinary people. She has lived a very materialistic life geared towards either showing off her beauty, her designer goods, or her artistic skills. Her social media presence is evidently strong (as implied by her competitive scenes with frenemy Jia Na) and she is well known enough for even a minor faux pas in public to appear in gossip news. Xing Chen can definitely be annoying at times, but when contrasted with the deceptively "innocent" Yang Yang, her brasher, more honest approach is refreshing. Additionally, her goofiness, wild imagination, secret addiction to reading BL novels while eating junk food, and ultimately her choice of career make her seem more like a quirky, individualistic character and less like the picture-perfect princess she'd otherwise seem.

The male lead, however, is essentially a cookie-cutter image of a perfect prince (or knight in shining armor, if we're sticking to the fairy tale archetypes assigned by the series). Jiang Nian Yu is an exceptionally talented musician, ballroom dancer, and equestrian – among the best (if not the best) of his peers, despite not having the same financial resources. If that weren't enough, he's also the top student in the university. When he's not busy being perfect at school, he's working part-time at a local comic book store – which sometimes involves wearing a bear mascot (is that really common in China?) – and rescuing Xing Chen as "bear knight" when she's sad or in trouble. Unlike Chu Yao (the fiancé arranged for Xing Chen by their respective parents), Nian Yu is always able to remain levelheaded in a crisis. His main "weakness" is presented as PTSD related to a relative's death (not that I really consider that a weakness), but it is so unfeasible and poorly written that it should have been left out.

The main thing that prevents this character from being unbearably boring due to his lack of flaws is the actor's charisma. While male leads tend to be unrealistic in most dramas, Nian Yu is more forgiving, kind, romantic, and suave than typical. This could be annoying, but Mike Angelo is so good at it that I couldn't bring myself to care all that much. (I obviously didn't watch the show for its realism.) Both the actor and character remind me a lot of what I enjoy about Lee Dong Wook's character in "My Girl" (although Gong Chan is decidedly less perfect and more awkward).

Zheng Chu Yao and Yu Yang Yang – the second male and female lead respectively – aren't very likable. Chu Yao (or “Prince Yao,” as he is sometimes called) ironically refers to Xing Chen as “Princess Syndrome,” but his arrogance and willingness to throw his money around far exceeds hers. He treats her very poorly throughout the first half of the series until he realizes that he has feelings for her - then he wonders why she isn't madly in love with him and what Nian Yu has to offer her that he doesn't. Zero self-awareness. Still, he does provide some good comic relief at times. Yang Yang is full of self-loathing and insecurity because she's an average person in every respect surrounded by wealthy, outstanding peers, which causes her to lash out passive aggressively at Xing Chen. Neither character is completely terrible, and both demonstrate some growth, but neither seem to change completely either. The supporting characters are mostly forgettable. I honestly never cared much about any character but the main two.

There are a couple of subplots that really added nothing to the show. One involves a former romantic relationship between two minor characters that doesn't really go anywhere, even in the epilogue, but at least it doesn't take up too much time. (I suppose if anything, its purpose is to serve as a cautionary tale.) The other subplot is clearly meant to add more suspense and action, but it is handled poorly and the show would have been fine without it.

I chose to watch this because I've been wanting a change of pace from the lengthy historical dramas I've been watching more recently. It was a bit sillier than I would have expected, but after the first episode, I pretty much knew what I was getting myself into. This is a show to not take too seriously. The writing isn't great, but it's mostly fun anyway. The OST ranges from mediocre ballads to a bubblegum pop track with a Britney Spears soundalike singing English lyrics that are mostly nonsensical, and actually, that seems to suit the show perfectly.

I don't regret watching it, though I don't see myself watch it again. (Maybe rewatching specific scenes would be fun, but not the whole drama.) I can't say I'd definitely recommend watching or avoiding this one… but hopefully this review will help you determine whether it'd be worth it or not, based on what you're looking for specifically.

tl;dr:

Pros – some good comedy, lighthearted romance, good chemistry between leads

Cons – very flawed writing, unprofessional editing, forgettable supporting characters, mediocre OST