Sotus S: The Series

• Members: 2,389

Micah
Mar 10, 2018
I had high expectations for this series because I loved the first season, however, that was a mistake. Don't get me wrong. I still full-heartedly enjoyed this season. It's just that it didn't live up to meet its predecessor. What I loved about Sotus was that it didn't rely too much on clichés. This season, it felt as if the show only relied on cliché. It just follows your basic romance storyline.

We have the setup where they establish who the characters are. We can tell who is going to end up with who because it is hinted at. Then there's the conflict: the overused, one-sided crush. I say overused not just because I see it in too many shows, but because that was the whole premise of the first season. There's no point in concluding a story if you're just going to bring back the same exact conflict again. This is practically the main conflict between most couples other than Kongpob and Arthit.

Now, I'd hoped that their conflict would be the most interesting since they're the centre of the story, but that's not the case. They don't even have a main conflict. It's just a bunch of small misunderstandings that eventually lead to the climax of the story — the classic "falling out" (another cliché). And wouldn't you know, the use of small misunderstandings is also an overdone concept in the romance genre.

The first season wasn't perfect. It had too many unnecessary flashback sequences, music that felt misplaced at times, scenes of silent staring that lasted too long, etc. However, whatever it lacked in these areas, it made up for through the story. The story felt real and relatable, yet not too much so that it was no longer enjoyable. It taught the importance of friendships and collaboration. It showed personal growth in many of the characters. But this season, rather than bringing something new to the plate, it played it safe and did the same thing. And because of that, it did not have the original impact the story of the first season had. I feel they simply rode the coattails of the previous season's success because they knew the majority of fans would watch no matter what.

Another thing is, everything was predictable. I knew exactly what would happen long before it did. Literally. I wrote this entire review after watching only the first episode and was able to predict everything. Anything after this sentence was added after more episodes came out.

So, I have one correction to make. Kongpob and Arthit had a main conflict (not wanting others to know of their relationship) which was sort of the root of many of their misunderstandings. However, it was also an overused conflict that they even briefly used in the previous season.

Now, I realize that many fans of the show may hate this review. That's why I want to make it clear that I love this show as well. There are many things I loved about this season! However, I'm not going to write a biased, unhelpful review. I want to critique this show properly. I truly believe the plot was too clichéd. Yes, I still enjoyed it, but this is the biggest thing the show could've improved on. The best thing this season had was the "cute moments" between couples. However, a cute couple should never be enough. It's easy to make a couple look cute. But without a good, cohesive plot to carry that couple, it's not a story but rather a few scenes placed in chronological order.

I would like to state one final time… I loved watching this season. I even gave it a good rating. I just couldn't rate it as highly as I did with the previous season and everything I've said so far is the reason why. This isn't me hating on the show. I'm simply critiquing it as a fan.

Well, now that I've gotten the story out of the way, I'll quickly go over the other categories. The acting and cast were all amazing but I think there were too many characters. The music was great. Especially songs sung by the characters. As for the rewatch value, well, I definitely will be watching again multiple times.

Annarwen
Mar 10, 2018
What a wonderful series! It definitely took a while to get to the good stuff but when it did, whoo boy. They did not disappoint. The music in the 12th episode was amazing, and the story was great! One of the side character couples seemed a bit forced but all in all it was entertaining. Will definitely be rewatching this in the future. Big step up from the first season. I liked the flashback scenes ...wouldn’t mind if they dedicated a whole season just to that, so we get more of those moments. Hopefully there’ll be a third season. Maybe tackling the parents of Kongpob and Arthit? That would be very interesting to see. Loved how Arthit redeemed himself and their relationship. He stepped up in a big way for his man and himself! Great job all involved!

MusicalVeggies
Mar 10, 2018
Having really enjoyed the first SOTUS offering, I was naturally keen to check out the sequel and follow up on our main couple’s journey. So, how did it go?
Well, I think it is an interesting and worthwhile sequel, and feelings for those watching it will probably be rather mixed and varied, depending on your expectations on what the sequel should look like.

To help those who might be interested in checking this sequel out but are still hemming and hawing, here’s some things which you might want to consider (no spoilers).

STORY
To manage your expectations a little, here are some things you might want to bear in mind:-
a) Different emphasis on setting and environment. The first SOTUS was almost entirely set in the university context with issues such as freshmen initiations, senior-junior relationships, falling in love and finding the courage to pursue or develop a romantic relationship, etc.
The sequel, however, has less emphasis on college and university issues and focuses on the workplace and office-related issues. This is increasingly evident as the show progresses until it almost exclusively settles on the workplace and office matters.

b) Portrayal of a different stage in a relationship. The first SOTUS’s primary focus was on Kongpop’s and Arthit’s relationship development. From almost strangers to senior-junior clashes to attraction and then to tentative establishment of a romantic relationship.
The sequel aims to follow up on their lives 2 years after their first meeting and explores the issues arising from a different part of a relationship stage: i.e. the ‘how-to-maintain-a-relationship’ stage. Not the honeymoon stage.

c) New characters and personalities are introduced, leading to different relationship dynamics and development amongst some of these new characters. A lot of our supporting cast from the first SOTUS have very short screen times in this sequel and not much is fleshed out regarding their lives and their relationships. Instead, we are introduced to quite a fresh cast of new characters with different personalities and issues, and more time is spent on these new cast of characters, which can be a nice and refreshing change for some viewers, but for those who’d like to see more of the old supporting cast and to see how they’ve been doing, there is likely to be some disappointment.

Pros and cons of the above?
a) The first few episodes of the sequel can come across rather choppy because there is jumping from university life (through Kongpop’s head hazer activities) and the office-workplace environment (through Arthit’s first foray into the working world). However, as the series progresses, the office-workplace environment increasingly takes precedence and it soon settles into a steady setting which makes it easier for the viewer to keep up and focus on the issues and developments at hand. I personally felt this was for the best as the series felt more grounded and steady when the focus narrowed towards a single setting.

b) We get a chance to see more of Kongpop’s and Arthit’s different personalities and approach to relationships. I think this aspect of the show is probably the one which will garner the most debates and opinions because of differing views on how people in relationships should behave. There was a lot of back-and-forth tempo i.e. two steps forward, one step back scenarios which can be rather frustrating for the viewer, and the pacing of the conflict and their resulting resolutions are a bit abrupt, so I would like to personally recommend that you keep an open mind and not have too many expectations. I guess different people will have different opinions but I thought it was kinda spot-on in terms of portrayal of a juvenile, almost teen romantic relationship, which considering their age and time of life, is kinda par for the course.

c) About the new cast of characters, well, I personally have mixed feelings about this because I loved our old team. I liked the cheeky bantering of Kongpop’s and Arthit’s gangs, and while they did have some screen time, it was unfortunately short and intermittent. The new cast of characters took some getting used to, and to warm up to, but I have to admit that once they got established and settled into their roles, I grew to also enjoy them and to appreciate their own story arcs and appearances.

Other things to note:
- More obvious use of Product Placements. Some are cleverly done and inserted but others simply bludgeon you over the head with it.
- Pacing of the show can be a bit iffy. Scene-jumps and abrupt transitions can jar the momentum and the pace of the show.
- Conflict resolution can be rather quick, sharp and short, or simply swept under the carpet i.e. left unaddressed.
- Not a lot of skinship. At least, not of the hot, sexual variety. There are plenty of verbal innuendoes and body language cues but if you’re expecting lots of touchy-feely, you might be a little disappointed.

TL;DR
For me, overall, I enjoyed this sequel. Just not as much as the first SOTUS series because I think that first show had a tighter and more focused storyboard and relationship development. This sequel felt a little bit more spread out and thin, as though the production team and scriptwriter were trying to do too much and cover too many things in a short space of time. This, coupled with the back-and-forth nature of a relationship-in-the-works of Kongpop and Arthit, made this show feel a little less robust and meaningful to me. But I did like the fresh take that the production team was trying to show in its different settings and relationship issues, and I grew to enjoy some of the new cast of characters here. There was enough heart in this show to still make it a worthwhile watch for me.

ACTING/ CAST
SINGTO and KRIST, reprising their roles as our main couple Kongpop and Arhit, were as winsome and as charming as they were in the first SOTUS series. I did miss Arthit in his head hazer persona (Krist really shone in being able to show so many sides of Arthit in that first series), but it was still nice to see them interact and banter their way through the sequel. The chemistry is still there, much to my satisfaction.

The new supporting cast of characters were a nice addition to the show. Some had great acting performances which really brought out their characters and gave extra heart to the show, but there were also others who were pretty one-bit and just-about-serviceable. A mixed bag but overall, there were more likeable and good performances of the cast than not.

MUSIC
Very much a personal preference but I have a soft spot for the old SOTUS soundtracks. It might have been nice to have incorporated a bit of it in some instrumental background in certain scenes as it would have added a touch of nostalgia and oomph to those scenes, but the new soundtrack is also pretty catchy. Just less memorable for me, lol.

RE-WATCH VALUE
Unlike the first SOTUS instalment, I don't think I'd watch this whole series in its entirety again, but there are some scenes and interactions which I really enjoy in this show and so will likely revisit those when looking for my sugar-sweet Kongpop-Arthit fix. :)

Yoan Nastor
Mar 16, 2018
I've already done watching Sotus S and its so hard to say goodbye to this series knowing the fact that this is the end of the story. But I hope that the production and GMMTV would give another series of Sotus cause its one of the most realistic gay movie I've ever watched. Im begging to have sotus forever. . Im still couldnt imagine my life without sotus and all I can do is to cry. Nothing is really good the way Khrist and Singto play the role. There is so much chemistry, not awkward to watch and even my sister really loved the movie. It is so impossible for you to fall in love with the story. Also the music, the message of each music is really depicting each scen. Good job to all...

dramalover
Mar 16, 2018
I was really excited for the first 2 episodes. Really waited for it.
At first i feel like the actors are still not comfortable with each other. Arthit was strange and uncomfortable in the beginning and later was kong.
The story was plain. The only major event that happen in the whole 13 episode of series is Arthit accepting his relationship in front of people. I really skip the story of the side characters from the university. They were really just boring.There were some cute moments between the lead and those make me keep sticking with it.(But really can't forget those awkwardness.)
Music are not much of my taste but they were okay.
Rewatch value:I am not going to watch it again.

Odessa Jones
Mar 16, 2018
I'm coming from a different point of view than the other reviewers so far: I didn't like the first SOTUS series (because of the amount of time spent on hazing, it's right there in the title!). But a friend convinced me to check the sequel out, because it focuses on the workplace environment. And they were right. I enjoyed this installment more. The characters make more sense to me now, perhaps because the actors are experienced in these roles. I can understand the small conflicts that they have in trying to maintain a relationship. The most important story line is about coming out to people at work, and it was nice to see a BL drama address real world issues like that (though the denouement is more fairy tale than realistic).

SOTUS S is a good series for people who want their BL to be PG-rated, innocent and sweet. Though there's less conflict in this season than in the first season, the characters are arguably more likable. I got bored by some of the workplace stuff in early episodes, but later episodes had good pacing. Not one that I'll rewatch, but it was worth my time once.