Ashes of Love

Pinocchio
Sep 4, 2018
Are you bored of watching boring storylines, actors that can’t act, bad cgi, not that great of a costume/design, and most importantly no chemistry, well no need to look anywhere else this show is it, it has none of the factors above, Yay! (:

Plot: You know how most shows are pretty boring in the beginning and only gets interesting around ep15 or more, well HSALF it’s amazing it’ll hook you in right from the 1st ep. it’s very comical but then you have to get your tissues ready since ALL of your emotions will be brought out you’ll get happy, sad/heartbroken, frustrated, anxious and last of all it’ll make you crave for more on what’s happening next. I love how they developed all charcters from how they were in the beginning to their personality towards the end, everyone changed significantly for the better or worse. Also the cgi and costumes were so well done that I’m just so amazed by it especially on ep61 the war scene just blew me away. Okay adding one last thing after finishing the show was I thought we were free from the demon princess but no she still got to appear for the last 2eps. Other than the demons princess thing it ended really well and was so emotional as JM vanished into air.

Acting: Hmmm what’s the word... ahhh it’s phenomenally amazing! If you watch it like seriously the acting will blow you away. I was skeptical if the casts in here can bring the charcters to life since it ain’t a easy task to do all the facial expressions and feelings in here. The leads had such an out of the world chemistry they’re literally the Perfect couple YZxDL. The acting here is so natural nothing felt forced or off.
YZ just stole my heart in this show she perfected her role so well and I’m glad that she was the one who played JM I don’t think anyone else can perfect the naiveness and pain the way she did. She’s the most pitiful charcter out of all like seriously she is, watch it and you’ll know. The cast was just perfect I’m sure some people will say that others can do better but like seriously who can other than this amazing cast from this amazing show?

Music: it’s gooood, especially Sa Ding Ding’s version it was just so emotional to just listen to it. Oh boy when it was played in the show I literally got goosebumps. All the other ost were so good that I had to search them all up and added it to my playlist. Also it’s so cool that one of the version the song were sung by the leads Yang Zi and Deng Lun.

Heck yea I’m definitely rewatching this amazingly true masterpiece many times. I don’t even know what am I suppose to do after it ends like it’s so so so hard to find a show that’s this perfect and I’m just going to say that this show is the best show ever to me it tops anything and it’s my #1 show. Totally, totally recommend everyone and anyone to watch this if they can but don’t feel pressured to watch it bc of my crazy little review.

Also if you’re in a withdrawal like me then I encourage you to watch the bts(behind the scenes) of this it’s so funny and I love how all the casts were so natural towards each other there were no awkwardness. You guys are so going to love the leads YZ, DL, and LYX after watching the bts they have such great chemistry together. To me this show can’t be rated it’s like infinite/10, that’s how good it is. I have never seen any show that tops this and let me tell you guys I’ve watched so many top rated/popular show where its not just as satisfying if compared to this. I’m sad cause after this show like everything other show will seem so bland, not up to par, and Ik for sure I will not be able to stop myself from comparing how well done this was. I don’t even know what I was doing before this show like what have I been watching? All the other shows really cannot be compared to HSALF. Also just to put this out I’m a big fan of the novel and I got to say that the show is better a lot better it went so much more in-depth and we got to know how or why a certain event or certain way someone did somethings.

So yes, overall I do recommend it, definitely do yourself a favor and try out this true masterpiece called Heavy Sweetness Ash Like Frost. 100+/10

Alice
Sep 3, 2018
First tkme writing a review but this drama is definitely worth a watch.

I admit it might but slightly slow at the start especially the first episode when introducing JinMi, but the story is full of creativity and new ideas each episode onwards.

I find it very interesting especially at the beginning of the episode (at start of OP), they used different colours to represent each main leads’ nature, (spoilers!) for example, JinMi is pink; XuFeng became the Demon God in the end, he is black; LiuYing is the princess of the Demon World, she has purple; RunYu is Night God from Heaven World, theres bit of black mixed with his white colour; SuiHe is the princess of the Bird Kingdom, he colour is red with bit of yellow.

I’ve also watched a few videos about their production, I respect this dramas a lot because they literally built the scenes out in the tents, also mention that it was summer when they filmed this, and the temperature inside the tents could be up to 60 degrees, it is definitely hard work!

A word from the director: he wanted to present the same feeling and emotions from the original novel, to have that “torturing romance” as the main element. He aims to let the audience sense the feel of getting their hearts broken and twisted.

The animation is also top rated, especially the pet deer, they captured the very detail of its facial expressions, giving it life in the screen.

I understand that most people don’t like watching dramas with so many episodes, same with me tbh, but I reckon this one is a dramas that brings Historical Fantasy Romance dramas into another era, hard to say any of the dramas I’ve watched could top this in terms of story, cast, animation, and music.

Lastly, if anyone wants to talk about the drama with me, don’t hesitate! ^_^

missnymeria
Sep 8, 2018
I almost didn't watch this drama because I thought it would be some cheesy fluff with no substance and the synopsis didn't really appeal to me. I'm so glad I took the plunge and gave it a chance.

At 60 (or 63, depending on which version you're watching) episodes, this is quite a lengthy ride but I wasn't bored one single second. It had never happened to me before, especially when watching longer dramas. C-dramas tend to lose steam in the middle, have a couple of uninteresting side-plots and rush to the finish line, leaving you somewhat dissatisfied. Not so here.

The middle portion of the drama which took place in the mortal realm was just as interesting as the main plot, something the very popular Eternal Love, 10 Miles of Peach Blossoms didn't manage to do. The side plots and side quests also kept me interested because the drama made me care about every single character. Everything ended up enhancing the main plot.

I've read a lot of complaints regarding the huge amount of screen time given to secondary characters in the second part of the story. I think that some scenes could certainly have been shorter but on the whole, these additions made the drama a much better piece of work than the book it is based on. It's much more epic and ambitious, with layers upon layers.

The characters are intelligent and whether we agree with their actions or not, we always understand the motives behind what they choose to do. They're all very consistently written and there is no true villain in this piece. No one is just black or white. This is truly an achievement.

STORY:
Don't be fooled by the somewhat fluffy beginning. This is one angsty ride that will have your emotions all over the place. This is primarily a romance drama which depicts a love so strong that it can defy fate and overcome everything but only after a heavy price has been paid by all the parties involved. The romance is nicely balanced with friendship, family bonds, loyalty, power struggles, slices of life and epic battles. It has everything you could wish for. I loved that every single plot line was thoroughly thought-out and contributed to the overall story. The writing was top-notch and it showed at the end of the drama which did not feel rushed at all. Quite a feat for a C-Drama.
9.5/10 (Took 0.5 point away because they could have slightly shortened certain storylines).

CAST:
Ashes of Love has a stellar cast. All the actors shone in their roles whether they played a main character or a minor part. Every role was lovingly crafted and acted and every single character has depth. To focus on the main trio though, Deng Lun, Yang Zi and Luo Yunxi acted their heart out and made me want to watch every single drama they've appeared in. Deng Lun brought a rawness and touching sincerity to the character of Xu Feng. Yang Zi was able to use her broad acting range to successfully portray Jin Mi's journey from a sheltered and naive fairy to a young deity wounded by mistakes and betrayals. Luo Yunxi was able to masterfully convey all the shades of grey of Run Yu's character.
10/10

MUSIC:
The music is gorgeous. No other word for it. It's one of the only dramas where I always watched the opening and end credits. Epic. The only problem is that although what music we do have is superb, we don't have a lot of it. So the same songs and background music are played over and over again. Luckily for us, they're so good that you don't really mind.
9.5/10 (Took 0.5 away because I would have loved a few more songs)

REWATCH VALUE:
Through the roof. This is a timeless story. Love, betrayal, revenge, redemption, acceptance, regrets. It has everything a classic should have.
10/10

OVERALL:
Watch it. You won't be disappointed. It has everything: a great story, great acting, great music, splendid cinematography and great CGI. You will be totally immersed in the world of Ashes of Love.
9.5/10 Perfection.

beautyangel777
Sep 19, 2018
**general spoilers if any because it's hard to talk about it without mentioning general ideas (no specific scenes/details but characters are mentioned)

omgg it's been awhile since I watched such a good drama. I just finished watching it and I already want to rewatch it. This literally blew me away with just everything and omgg the emotions are so high with this drama.

Plot: I really dislike watching dramas where its just the same cycles over and over again of the main leads breaking up and getting back together constantly (like for example, every other episode), so I was super happy with what the writers for this show did with this drama because we none of that (yay!). There was so much creativity into writing this and there are SOOO many good plot twists. The plot is far from boring and invokes so many emotions. There are both really funny parts and really sad parts ANND those REALLY CUTE romantic scenes that most everyone lives for. The plot brings together fantasy elements and romance elements with a hint of wuxia here and there. ALSO the ending was everything you would ever want esp since nowadays so many drama endings are the absolute worst. This drama does a good job of closing out all (or most but I couldn't tell if they missed any) of the plot holes and tying everything together.

Characters: I was really happy with the character development in this drama. The changes in each character are so subtle yet if you compare two eps far apart from each other, you can tell the difference in most of the important characters (e.g. JM). They did such a good job of revealing the backstories, intentions, etc. of characters as well in a way that would be either 1. wow I didn't see this coming or 2. i wanna cry. I LOVED the way that JM and XF fell in love and gradually realized what they meant to each other. Also, some people have mentioned in the comments that they don't really like the amount of screen-time that the demon princess gets, but personally I kinda liked the storyline between her and MC as well as their characters, but that might just be me :P The demon princess (LY) is kind of that loyal badass sidekick character with a soft side and sometimes you can't help but cheer her on. Also shoutout to Moon Immortal character cuz he just made me laugh every time even if he was being serious. Of course, each character has those times when they're being annoying (esp the villainous/evil characters) but overall none of them stood out as being terribly written and I can say that I was even happy with how the evil characters were.

Costumes: Might seem weird to mention this but I just really enjoyed seeing how each realm had their own distinct style and how each were shown so beautifully. Little things like hairstyle, accessories, makeup, clothing composition, etc really add to the drama in a good way. (Example: bird realm's clothing [Sui He] compared to flower realm's clothing [JM/ Chief Zhang])

Acting: I haven't watched that many dramas with YZ in it and I didn't expect too much going into it but wow her acting was so great and the way she portrayed various emotions was crazy. The way she could make you want to cry is insanely amazing and her chemistry with DL is really really good. DL's acting is also really good, as expected, and the way he portrays pain and heartbreak is incredible. Aside from those two, I don't really have any complaints with any of the other actors/actresses. They all did a great job :)

Music: warning- the music is so perfectly inserted that you wanna cry like every time there's a sad moment LOL. No complaints with the music---I think all of the selections fit the drama really well.

Animations/CGI/Production: As with every fantasy drama especially, a lot of animating and cgi needs to go into the production since the setting includes places like Heaven, Hell, and various other "realms". The realms were all animated so well, and while there are TOMPB vibes going on (esp. the flower realm and the heaven realm), it stands distinctly on its own beautifully. The colors are amazing and I love the clouds loll xD The cgi just gives it the right magical feeling. Another commenter mentioned this as well, but the dream beast that stayed by RY's side throughout the drama was animated so well. You could see all the details and the colors and everything was just so real.

My Favorite Part: mini spoiler but I absolutely loved the part when JM and XF went to the mortal realm and lived like mortals for their "redemption" trial. Free from their immortal responsibilities and burdens, their characters were just so pure and raw. It made me laugh, smile a ridiculous amount, and bawl. When dramas bring out every type of emotion there is, you know it's a good drama.

Overall: MUST WATCH ; this was on my "to watch" list for the whole summer, and I'm so glad that I decided to start now and it was so good that I binge-watched for 3 days and finished it. This is the kind of drama I've been waiting for since watching TMOPB. Definitely rewatching in the future 10/10 recommend. Sorry for the excessive length of this review & if I repeated myself multiple times :P

Yum
Sep 4, 2018
(I've tried to make this as spoiler-free as possible but if there is any spoiler I will indicate it beforehand!)
Story (9.5/10): I love love love the plot in this drama, especially the main characters' love story. In my personal opinion, this is the best love story I have ever seen portrayed! I did not, however, give in a 10 because there were arguably some mishaps towards the 45-50 episode mark of the drama, where the side characters' stories got a little bit too draggy. The production devoted a lot of time to the side characters' background and love story - which, although interesting, takes the focus away from the main couple who were undeniably THE most attractive factor of the drama. Hence, it was a little frustrating, but I just mainly skipped through these scenes to get to my OPT moments. I've read the book for Heavy Sweetness Ash Like Frost (HSAF) so I could still understand what was going on, but I think that even non-book readers can still easily grasp the plot without sitting through all of the draggy scenes. For me though, the best part of the drama was the hilarious beginning, the adorable mortal arc, and the epic finale (I initially doubted this could live up to my expectations because there were only a few episodes left for the final arc, but the drama did a phenomenon job!). These were moments that will forever be embedded into my memories!
SPOILER: The ending is happy!!! This is so rare for an ancient Chinese drama! Honestly, the ending is very satisfying! Jin Mi and Pheonix could not be happier!

Acting/Cast (10/10): Did I say that I love love love Deng Lun in this? Actually, did I say that everyone in this drama was so perfectly casted? But first, we'll go back to Deng Lun because I think he is the BEST Pheonix we can ever ask for! Appearance-wise, he straight up walked up of the novel! His Pheonix eyes are honestly just what I imagined the character to have! (SPOILER: AND WHEN HE BECAME THE DEMON LORD I SWEAR HE LOOKED 100X HOTTER I COULD NOT CONCENTRATE AT TIMES ON THE DRAMA BECAUSE OF HOW HANDSOME HE LOOKED. I PETITION FOR THIS GUY TO DRESS ETERNALLY IN BLACK). Acting-wise, he completely sold the character to me! I actually love how his Pheonix is a lot softer than the novel's, who was more arrogant and proud. Deng Lun's Pheonix, on the other hand, was kind of dense (which earned him the nickname of bird-brain, lol) but he was devoted and gallantry and the God of War in the sense that he fights his battle head-on. Deng Lun's eyes were so emotive and everytime Pheonix looked at Jin Mi I could feel myself melting into a thousand puddles. Deng Lun and Yang Zi have the best chemistry ever and their every moment on screen was electrifying! Yang Zi was also amazing in this. First of all, she is beautiful and I've never doubted her as the daughter of the Flower Goddess. It is actually amazing to watch her transformation from a naive girl into a mature woman throughout the drama, and I thought that Yang Zi did a phenomenal job on portraying both Jin Mi's humour and maturity. I think she is one of the best actresses of her generation. This drama has made me a fan of both Deng Lun and Yang Zi. I will for sure watch out for their future projects (especially if they star in another drama together!). Regarding the rest of the cast, everyone did an amazing job - I don't think there were any bad acting in this drama or anybody who did not suit their characters. The casting for this is pure genius.

Music (10/10): The intro is beautiful, the outro is beautiful, the OST is beautiful!! There is especially this song about a love letter and every time it plays I just melt.... the lyrics are absolutely heart-wrenching! The score used by the production to build up certain moments was also very effective - it was intense and really hype up the action! Overall the OST in this drama was perfectly made and perfectly utilised to enhance the whole watching experience.

Rewatch value (10/10): This drama is perfect for rewatching! Unlike political dramas where you have to utilise mental prowess to understand the nuances, HSAF is a fantasy drama that makes you feel, not think. Throughout the course of this drama, you will feel humour, pain, angst, frustration, joy, happiness, and many more feelings. These feelings are conveyed in such an authentic way that even upon rewatching, they will still impact your heart! I believe that this is a timeless masterpiece that I will come back to many times.

Overall (10/10): Overall, this is honestly one of the best drama I have ever watched, Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, etc.. After finishing this, I can't imagine that there will be another production which can leave such a big impact on me and make me so invested in the characters. The only downside to watching such a beautiful story is that I'm afraid everything I watch from now will seem so bland and not live up to HSAF. But honestly, though, I recommend everyone to watch HSAF - this is a must-watch drama that possesses a captivating sense of magic which no drama in recent times have been able to capture, and I believe that it would be very hard for future dramas to replicate this ethereal formula. Truly, watching HSAF, for me, was a rare experience that I don't think anybody should miss.

Cyzarine
Aug 26, 2018

Hao lang man ????

Somehow I became chinese fantasy drama fan! I usually only watched korean drama. Until I explore some chinese dramas..

start from TMOPB then I start watching all deng lun’s drama.. lol

I usually skipped a lot at dramas. Mostly dropped them out after few episodes.

I don’t speak chinese but I understand it so I watch it straight from jiangsu tv ??

This one never get me bored. The story keep me wondering what’s next. I rewatch the trailer over and over again just to find out whats next.
Two thumbs up!!
MusicalVeggies
Sep 3, 2018
This C-drama xianxia (i.e. supernatural historical fantasy) is one pretty amazing combination of Romeo + Juliet and Game of Thrones put together. If you're interested in a chinese supernatural fantasy show with a well-crafted story that introduces coherent, well-depicted characters who undergo amazing character development and changes, and if you're interested in shows that take you on one exhilarating roller-coaster ride of emotions and story arcs, this will be the show for you.

STORY (No spoilers)
For the C-novel readers:
To manage expectations, I'd like to take a short section to address those who've read the C-novel on which this drama is based and are thinking of watching this show. Firstly and most importantly, please kindly put aside your preconceptions because while this show does follow the novel, it does it in very broad strokes. Key events and key character actions are retained but the journey/ route to those events and actions can be very different. This might disappoint some of you if you're going into the show thinking that it will be a completely faithful reproduction of the novel. In order to help you enjoy this show, I'd like to encourage you to watch it with an open mind. If it helps, I personally found that by doing so and by following the story the drama itself is trying to tell, the plot-threads and character portrayals all hold together very well and this show becomes a more substantial adaptation and, I'd even venture to say, a more glorious homage to its original source material.

For non-novel readers & newcomers:
This show is more than just a pure xianxia romance. I was pleasantly surprised with how meaty and more substantial this show was, and how multi-faceted it can be. It will surprise you with its twists and turns, and with the evolution of our main characters as it progresses. Love (particularly star-crossed love or ill-fated love) and obsession are key themes but they are not the only ones. Themes of filial piety, integrity, loyalty, ambition, vengeance/ revenge, sacrifice, atonement and redemption are also wonderfully built into this show. This is a dish of many flavours. It's not pure sugar though it may start off on the sweet side. It will surprise you with its turns of fiery spice, bitterness and sweet-and-sour, with a touch of savoury thrown in.

Also, to help you understand a bit of what the show is like so that you're prepared, here's a broad outline:
The first half is full of sweetness and comedy, light-hearted and fluffy with some small build-up of plot threads. The romance development here is eminently ML-focused (he falls in love first and fast) and it runs the gamut of playful to moving as it progresses.

The 2nd half will start to bring together several plot threads introduced in the 1st half and so side characters have more screen-time as the show fleshes their story arcs and motivations more (hence the Game of Thrones reference). The main couple will also encounter love trials along the line of star-crossed love/ ill-fated love (hence the Romeo + Juliet premise). The trials have sound basis and foundation though, so it's not stupid misunderstandings and noble idiocy type issues. But the trials eventually prove and confirm their love and in the end, they overcome them for a suitable end.

I'd really like to encourage you to watch this show as it is quite amazingly crafted and if you like romance shows with a bit more complexity to it and to have more substance to it, this will suit you very well.

ACTING/ CAST
With over 60 episodes, this show's cast is not small. Screen-time for our characters will fluctuate depending on the plot thread in focus at the time so please don't expect our main characters or main couple to continuously dominate the screen. The show takes some pains to explore and flesh out some of its key side characters too, which is really great because it makes the show less riddled with one-dimensional/ cardboard cut-out characters. Even our 'stock villains' are given realistic internal motivations and drivers, and the 'comic relief' characters surprisingly have a core of values in them too. I personally found myself growing fond of many side characters (e.g. Yuanji Immortal, Moon Immortal, Yan You, Water Immortal and Lian Yuan) which makes this show extra enjoyable/ watchable to me. Love them!

Spotlight on our main leads:
DENG LUN as Xu Feng (aka Phoenix), the Fire Immortal. C-novel readers will probably be a bit surprised at Deng Lun's portrayal and take as our God of War, but I liked this different characterisation of our main male lead in this drama. He's not your perfect male lead, not by any means, but he has a strongly loyal, warm and loving heart. This central and core aspect of his character is wonderfully and consistently portrayed throughout the show and Deng Lun's less imposing physic and his warm voice (I just loved the fact that he voice-dubbed his own character!) makes him a more approachable and less dominating character than his C-novel counterpart.
Acting-wise, I think Deng Lun did well in portraying Xu Feng's emotional and character development. I think he does his character justice and that's good enough for me.

YANG ZI as Jin Mi, our Little Grape and Flower Immortal. I personally think that this is not an easy role for any actress to portray as her character undergoes a lot of ups-and-downs, internal conflicts and changes in this show, but kudos to Yang Zi for being able to make her a naively cheerful Little Grape at the start, and to showcase her evolution as the show progresses. She had me invested in her character and in her character's story and progress throughout the show.

LEO LUO YUNXI as Run Yu, the Night Immortal. Like Jin Mi, his character also undergoes a lot of ups-and-downs, internal conflicts and changes in this show and I have to also hand it to this actor, he rose to the occasion in this drama. As one of the 3 main leads in this show, he certainly has not been overshadowed by his fellow co-stars on the acting-front and some of his key scenes really brought the emotions out through the screen.

I personally think that our 3 main leads were well-balanced on the acting-front. No one consistently overshadowed or out-acted the other, everyone was on more or less equal footing in terms of screen-presence and screen-impact, to me. The well-balanced nature of it made the show good, because there is nothing worse than to have a co-star consistently overshadowing or out-acting you in front of the screen, making the scene imbalanced and making the actor and character being overshadowed to be out of place.

MUSIC
There appears to be 3 theme songs for this show (male and female version of the opening, and the ending theme song), and while they are lovely and beautiful in their own right, and when well-employed in a scene they really elevate the moment, I personally felt that the limitation of songs later on became a bit of liability to the show as, with over 60 episodes, there is going to be inevitable song-fatigue. I personally think that this is one area in the show which could really do with additional work and improvement to make it truly great, but well, it is what it is.

RE-WATCH VALUE
I personally loved the first half of the show to bits and can see myself re-playing a lot of it in future. The second half where the real business end of the show starts picking up steam is compelling and addicting to watch for the first time because of the breathless anticipation of wanting to know what happens next. I am not sure how re-watchable this section will be in future once the suspense and excitement is over but it doesn't make this show any less impressive on its own merits.
Edit: Since writing this review, I've re-watched almost the entire show twice more so clearly my fears about the watchability of the 2nd half was unfounded. In fact, a lot of the emotional scenes in the 2nd half were some of the best scenes in this show.

MysteryMel-Bookish
Sep 25, 2018
Story: interesting yet classical divine gods having spats over women and power. With standard evil women -mothers
Actors: female lead stayed doofus - silly so long she became tiresome. So little character development. Seems she is typecast for silly doofus roles. Seriously aggravating. Two male leads, great casting and delivery.
Overall: the length of the silly JM blissfully bobbing through was a major distraction. The meat of the story gets fleshed out around eps54 -60, with the last couple eps as "really" writers, you want to stretch this more? For the life of me, trying to see why this drama is so highly rated. Okay at best - the main lead just wore thin. 40eps could handle this storyline.

mz4jun
Sep 14, 2018
This is definitely one of the best xianxia dramas out there.
Story-wise, I have to say it is quite unique in a way that JM could not love and did not know what love is due to Unfeeling Pill. This set the whole story different from others. The first part was really entertaining and funny and also created a base story for every angst and drama that happened later. Characters are really well-written - RY and XF's characters complement and contrast each other. JM's character development was also quite strong - from an naive innocent girl to a woman who would do everything for her love. I particularly like RY's character arc - how he became what he was - things that he did are not justifiable but understandable, I would say. I do think that the story took a bit too long in the first arc and also wasted a lot of time in the story of demon princess and MuCi.
Acting-wise, I liked all the three main leads. YZ is one of the actresses I look forward and she did a really great job portraying different emotions. She is such a versatile actress. JM's character would not have received so much love without YZ's acting skills. LYX also did a fabulous job in portraying such a complex character, RY, - from a quiet, gentle man to a man cold with hatred. I first noticed him in My Sunshine drama but didn't know he is that good. As for DL, I have never watched his dramas. He is also a good actor; his character was just outshined by YZ's and LYX's.
If you like xianxia genre, this is definitely the one to watch. Most would compare it with TMOPB; I don't want to because these two are two different dramas apart from the fact that they are in the same genre.

Mimi

It's bomb af

Y'all not going to lie the otp here literally has one of the best chemistry I've ever seen!

The story is really good I was hooked at episode 1 and that's pretty rare. I've read the novel and will say that the show is a lot better because we the viewers are able to see more and understand more about the characters and how things came to be. Reading the novel it's really good but most things are up to our imaginations so the show really did a good job in maintaining similarities with the show while having differences. Although I got to say i kind of wished that they didn't try to promote the demon princess and night's guard that much, the story would've been a 10 for me but those 2 constantly appearing literally every episode dropped it to a 9.5. Oh also lets not forget about the amazing costumes/designs, cgi, & flawless acting. One thing though if the ending today for episodes 62-63 is not satisfying enough for JM then I'm going to have a serious talk with the production team. (;
The ending is really satisfying all the loose ends were tied up and it was just so cuteee!

The acting is just indescribable it hooked me right away. Also the leads really outdid themselves cause I've seen YZ, DL, and LYX's acting before but here they BLEW me tf away. They did so well that I'm positive no else will be able to do a better version of the character JM, XF, & Night. Oh let's not forget about the loyal and funny Pu Chi, Moon Immortal, and last but not least the lovable flower realm all of their acting are so convincing ugh I just need all of them along with the leads to be casted again in another show together.

Music it's really good and what surprised me even more when I searched it up was that one of the versions were sung by both YZ & DL isn't that so cool? Also check out the eng subbed version on YouTube if you can.

Let me tell y'all I'm addicted to this show since it came out and this again is another first where I can not stop myself from watching the raws, which never happened before. HSALF probably is all of the first where I'm addicted like crazy, so impatient even when it airs faster than others shows 2epsiode a day, guys I literally have watched almost all of the bts and it's still not enough for me. Just a Warning prepare them tissues! Like y'all don't know how many times I wanted to jump in & hug one of the characters because of how badly they were schemed against( there are annoying schemers that I really want to slap) or how their life just plain sucks to the point where you're just like how can someone have that much of toxic people surrounding them. I'm amazed at how the production team really wants to torture and throw in all the angst and pain that they can but still do it so well that it's addicting. After this ends I know for a fact that it'll be hard to find other shows that are up to par to this. My bar/expectations for shows are now all the way up there this show is literally giving the others a run for their money lol. This show is literally my first love that I want to be with forever! Oh yea y'all don't forget to check out the bts if you're like me where you need to see more of the leads adorable interactions. ^_^

Overall yes I recommend this show and do try it out if you can. Easily a 10/10

njlt_
Sep 11, 2018
(First time writing a review.)

Timeline of the series probably went like this (for me):
AHAHAHA this is hilarious --> awww so sweet --> oh nononooo --> oh my my, my heart can't take this !!! --> finally!!! --> wait whatttt --> ok, F I N A L L Y.

I decided to watch this drama series because the two main leads (Yang Zi and Deng Lun), acted in another drama, Flowers in Fog, as a couple together before too, and I loved seeing them together. This drama never failed to impress me. So this means the chemistry between the main leads is G R E A TTT!!

Basically this is how the drama went...

Initially the drama was really funny, especially in terms of how Jin Mi acted and thought. Although as time passes, Jin Mi becomes much more mature, so the way she acts, talks and thinks changes accordingly, the comedic scenes drops slightly, but it's ok! Because...

MY FAVOURITE ELEMENT COMES IN!! It starts focusing on the romantic part of the series. This is when both of them starts having mutual feelings for each other. Heart wrenching and sweet af moments. How they're willing to sacrifice for each other, wow.

Some misunderstandings surfaced during the series, so the heartbreaking scenes were both understandable and relatable.

But all's well as they managed to clear the misunderstandings and eventually reconciled.

HOWEVER, of course you wouldn't have a happy ending that easily, your heart has to go through another heart wrenching journey :").

THEN, a happy ever after. F I N A L L Y.

DISCLAIMER:
Although, this drama is great overall, but I personally feel that there were some parts that were a tad bit boring.

miraxyza
Sep 19, 2018
You might think 10 on all points is too much and I would say, I'd give it more points if I could. The story is comparable to TTMOPB but with it's own flair. It has all the elements of a great story and the ending will not leave you disappointed. The special effects/CGI are done extremely well that it is worth mentioning. The cast? Ah, Phoenix, my Phoenix! They will make you laugh, bring you to tears, make you mad - all the good stuff which will leave you satiated but wishing for more. Salute to the writers, directors, staff, anyone and everyone who made this phenomenal story.