My Husband Oh Jak Doo

ChinguMode
May 19, 2018
For the first half of this drama at least, it tells a good story about the struggles of a successful career woman who defies society by refusing to marry but ends up pursuing a contract relationship anyway.

Han Seung-joo, played by Uee, is not just single - she's alone. Her family are judgemental, abusive parasites and her friends have their own lives. She inherits a mountain from her Aunt that her family is intent on developing into a resort. But when she feels threatened in her own home, she decides to hire a man to be her husband. Oh Jak-doo (Kim Kang-woo) is seemingly a lowly herb-gatherer from the mountain she now owns and he accepts the role in exchange for her leaving his mountain home undeveloped.

At the beginning, this drama had an intelligent script that seemed to be at war with the Makjang direction. It doesn't matter how strong or independent you are, it was saying, you still need somebody to be on your side. In essence, everybody needs a mountain. Seung-joo's mountain was both figurative and literal: when things got too difficult for her, she now had somewhere solid and unchanging to rest.

From the start, the Makjang direction was extremely jarring. Full of intense close-ups, overwrought - almost screeching - line deliveries, and long scenes devoted to the bumbling slapstick antics of three mountain Halmeonis, the direction was a sour note in a otherwise enjoyable show.

Unfortunately, by about episode 14 it became obvious the director knew something we didn't. The show veered sharply into Makjang and never recovered. At a daunting 24 episodes, this meant almost half the drama was full of contrived conflict, opaque character motivations and general audience confusion. And screeching. There's a lot of screeching.

While Kim Kang-woo's Oh Jak-doo is often swoonworthy, the show is stolen repeatedly by the affectatious and pretentious Eric Cho as a second male lead, played with a lot of heart and self-awareness by Jung Sang-hoon. Uee also gives her character a lot of strength and vulnerability but both she and Kim Kong-woo struggle with their characters once their motivations get murky.

The performances are not enough to save what is, in the end, a poorly-written and badly-paced soap opera that has little overall point to make about anything.

Neeb
Jun 7, 2018
Wow wow just wow amazing cast, perfect acting the story is breath taking,I have never watch a more perfect ending like this drama, there chemistry is over the roof, this drama portrayed a love, sacrifice for one another no matter the distance I will be with you, love conquers all, because you you love someone it does not mean you won’t achieve your own goals in life, you can do exactly both love and career at the same time and be happy with your soulmate,
Forget about the bad reviews and just start watching.
Dropped 14/24
Apr 26, 2018
Dropped 1
My husband Oh Jak Doo started very very strongly. There was a solid mystery, about the man who was threatening the girl, a nice romance and an old family secret. The main couple had chemistry. The story was working really well. And then, it just got tiring. The mystery was solved, the romance was developed and the old family secret got a bit twisted and boring. Honestly, I lost interest in it, as many things happened and I couldn't keep up anymore. So, before I'll waste my time with another 10 episodes, I decided to abandon the ship. Maybe it'll get really good again. Or maybe not. But 24 episodes is way too long for me to try to figure it out. So, 2,5 stars for me.

Saamia Majid
May 13, 2018
I am writing my review for My Husband Oh Jak Doo two episodes before, because I think we all know how this one is going to end.

I got the opportunity to binge watch the first 8 episodes and I was totally hooked because I liked the funny, light-hearted story of Seung Joo and her fake husband, Oh Jak Doo. I also enjoyed the side stories/sub plots within the the big plot of the 3 grandmas, serial killer, Seung Joo's friends and annoying boss (Eric Cho Bong Sik) and her coworkers.

However it ended up being kind of being a story with too many cooks and it just became a drama for me that I could watch while eating breakfast on the weekends.

The characters in this show are kind of over the top ones- they scream, are dramatic and usually leave you with a laugh due to the dumb situations each character is put in.

I would say my favorite character on this show has to be Eric Cho because he's delusional (as someone said on this forum) and he is also a great guy who is kind of stuck in his dad's wrong deeds and wants to get something out of it. The pairing of Seung Joo and Oh Jak Doo is okay and cute but I liked them much more better as friends (till Episode 9 I believe) but they're an ideal couple for Kdramas. However, I would love to have a Oh Jak Doo in my life who is rich, good-looking, and is great at housework and also has a professional life.

As for acting- Uee has improved alot (I've seen her first in Marriage Contract-her crying scenes weren't the best for her there), but I believe she has a long way to go. I would love to see her in a much more darker role. Kim Kang Woo is great here-his dialect is perfect, his crying scenes are too cute and I would love to see him again in another show!

Other characters on this show are kind of annoying but they act all great- according to their parts. I would say Han Sunhwa is given great outfits but she doesn't have much to work with. Jung Sang Hoon is great as I mentioned earlier in my review, his English has to be one of the highlighted moments of this show ;).

I give this show a 7.0/10 and I would watch it again maybe when I need a laugh or need to get my mind off of things. OSTs are okay- OST Part 5 of this show is cute.

Bianca
Aug 8, 2018
At first it was good, i was having fun while watching it cause there's so many funny scenes and meaningful situations but then the story or plot just became too dragging. It's like it was force to have 24 episodes. I think if it was 18 episodes only or less, it could have been better. Though i must commend the acting of the female lead she's too good as well as the lead male but it was just too long and it started to bore me. If given a chance to watch it again, i wouldn't. The acting were great but the plot was too boring. Didn't have anything more to.show. I just wished they thought of a great twist or whatever if they want it to.be that long

Sunnie
Aug 25, 2018
I decided from now onwards I'm not going to watch the show based on the reviews. I thought of not starting this because of many negative reviews. I almost missed a happy drama.

This show is surprisingly sweet and gave me the feelings which are real deep. If you are expecting for a romantic show with more skinship and fast pace this isn't for you.

Their smiles and stares are pure love. This deals with many real issues. It broke the gender stereotypes. This covered almost all the types of people. I so love this drama.

Regarding acting everyone did their job well. I love Uee since Marriage Contract. She did well. This is my first drama of Kim Kang Woo. He's awesome. Surely I'm going to check out his other works. Their chemistry is so good. Jung Sang Hoon deserves a special mention. Music is a plus to their beautiful chemistry. I'm going to rewatch this if I'm in a bad mood. This show gives me happy vibes.

Lana Lang
May 29, 2018
Drama has a really good story and it's different from other Kdramas out there. It's is different from other dramas because the main lead Uee's character was an independent woman in today's society. She made females look different in the generation we live in where women can't do accomplish anything by them self. She changed the mindset of that and made women become something more. Main cast had an outstanding performance and it each character fulfilled their role to compliment each other. Loved each episode!!

I wish the drama series was a bit longer and they had a second season to see how each character's career path resulted in.

Tanii
Jun 18, 2018
This was a drama that I put on hold a bunch of times before I got around to completing it. Of course, that doesn't mean it's bad, it was enjoyable on my part, but there were some parts that could have been excluded and it would have been less draggy.

The drama itself started of as a story about a career driven woman who had to support her mother and brother who are basically just freeloaders, and an incident which leads to her having to get a fake husband.

I really enjoyed how they introduced the romance into it, and I think it was one of the reasons why I actually liked the drama. I felt that it depicted love and life changes at an age where people think you should have everything figured out and all the hardships that come with getting to know someone new when you had no intention to.

I appreciated the relationship between Oh Jak Doo and Han Seung Joo, especially how it blossomed into something that was pure and beautiful. If not for anything else, I would definitely replay my favorite parts of these two from the drama whenever I need a sweet romance. There were a few kisses (cute ones not intense) and a bunch of hugs, but apart from that there were moments where they were just in each others' company and were portraying that intimacy doesn't only come from physical connection but from being the person that the other could count on and be secure about. It's the kind of affection and security I'm sure many would love to have.

Not going to lie, I absolutely abhorred Seung Joo's mother and there were times when I disliked Jang Eun Joo as well as. The brother and his girlfriend were annoying as well, but I didn't hate them too much. I loved the friendship between Han Seung Joo and her friends... how they kept each other together and didn't let their husbands in between, and how they supported each other; it was really fun to watch. One of the best characters though, was Eric Cho.

All the actors did a good job and the OST is stuck in my head after every episode because it would blend so well with the scenes.

If I was asked if I would recommend this drama, I would honestly just tell the other party to watch a few episodes to get a feel of it, as it is somewhat slow paced and sometimes angering.

TLDR: The drama is a slice of life with good acting and tolerable side characters. Watch at your own risk! :)

MoonBeam
May 6, 2018
Its got a interesting plot to begin with pitiable hardworking city girl harassed by her own mother and brother, pit up against a hillbilly villager who is a frog prince so to say. The writer tries very much to convince us on the need for a contract husband for the lady as she suffers from panic attacks (interestingly i read that about 6 out of 10 people in my city are suffering from bouts of panic attacks). How the threat to the her life and the stress from mad rat race of the cities makes the heroine of our drama take a step back and turn back to the simple, honest and tranquil life of a simple mountain /village life is depicted.

Though a bit slow paced the story is relevant in todays time as we can see around us where even within families there is so much insensitivity and lack of love / caring for each other. The need for being ourselves in times when the media tries to make every story into a saleable product while compromising on truth is the message of the drama.

In my view it is a bit slow but all the side characters and their strengths and weaknesses are nicely projected - all in all a good drama with little fluffy romance but mature theme.