Friend Zone (2018) poster

Jessica
Feb 4, 2019

Maybe Not for Everyone, But I Really Liked It

STORY:
The show has a cool, hip vibe that I really like and that I think will appeal to those who like more mature themed dramas. Like others, I was initially interested in this show because of the BL part, but I became hooked on all of the characters’ storylines from the very first episode.

What starts out as a relatively lighthearted theme quickly turns more serious and conflict-driven. Some of the conflicts are ones we don’t see a lot of, whereas others are more common, but for the most part all felt very organic and natural to the plot and characters. A good chunk of this drama focuses on the breakdown of relationships and ensuing aftermath, working through the pain to try to get back what was once had, so if you’re looking for a fairy tale romance, this might not be for you. Infidelity is another prominent theme in this show, which is an apparently a pretty divisive topic. But, in my opinion, infidelity isn’t always a black and white issue, and those who commit it aren’t necessarily nor automatically bad people; they can feel remorse and sometimes deserve second chances. It’s a complex issue, and I think the writers and actors did a really nice job portraying this, as they did for other grey areas in the show. The drama itself touches on a lot of difficult and unpleasant things that can happen in life and relationships in a way that feels authentic. The conclusion/resolution was short, taking up only one episode, and a bit glossed over, but I felt like all of the important points were hit and we were left with some level of closure. Compared to how in depth the conflicts were, though, the resolutions could have been explored a little bit further.

Heavy stuff aside, the plot was dynamic and interesting, and I was invested from beginning to end, which made for what felt like a quick journey: one minute I was watching episode 1, then I blinked and was suddenly at episode 12. A good sign in my book, as I clearly wasn’t bored; I can’t say that for every drama I’ve watched.

ACTORS/CHARACTERS:
I was really impressed with all of the actors. Major and minor roles were played very well, the acting felt very natural, and the characters were multidimensional (i.e., for the most part they didn't feel like stock characters). And despite some moments where I wanted to shake some sense into a few of the main ones, I liked all of them and thought that they kept the story interesting and thought provoking. Especially loved (1) the strong female leads (Am and Boom in particular, but I liked Boyo too, despite her flaws, and thought she had some noteworthy moments) and (2) gay characters who were comfortable in their sexuality and not stereotyped or exaggerated.

MUSIC:
I thought the music fit the show very well: again, young, hip, and fresh. Also, this is one of the few (perhaps only) shows where I actually don’t want to skip the theme song (and opening in general) because I like it so much.

REWATCH VALUE:
There aren’t too many dramas that I can truly say I’m interested in re-watching, but this is definitely one of them!

OVERALL
I don’t think this is for everyone, but I thought it was a really great release from GMM. I’d recommend, especially if you prefer dramas that are more serious and mature.

Luvlyy
Feb 8, 2019
The story overall was great. I loved each couple and character's story through the drama. They all grabbed my interest and hooked me pretty quickly. The entire cast was really good, I mainly watched this because of Singto but ended up loving everyone on the cast and plan to look into some of them. Although there are those good things about it. If you do not like watching dramas that have a has a somewhat lacking ending, I wouldn't say this is good for you. I am usually someone who doesn't like endings that aren't closed and happy or at the very least happy open endings but I still am fine because some things ended up how I wanted it to, just not all. I feel like one character, I won't say who just in case someone ends up watching it, but one character definitely deserved better. The sum everything up I loved it. I would probably watch it again with a friend or if I'm bored.

mrspartypoison
Feb 5, 2019
It's not a perfect show, the ending was awful and it seemed that none of the characters had learnt anything from their experiences but at the same time I really enjoyed it? I honestly don't know how to review this. It had its good moments and I'm glad we could see Good confessing to Boyo (let's ignore it happened 30 seconds before the show officially ended) as well as Stud being ''happy'' and appreciated, and also Am being an independent woman (let's also ignore the fact that she might actually get back with P'Bern because he's actually not that bad by comparison lol). However: I just can't ignore the fact that Sam cheated on Earth, did nothing to redeem himself, broke the relationship to escape from the guilt and Earth is the one that insists in staying together...what? And why can he forgive that cheater but not his friend? The way I see it he shouldn't have forgiven any them so quickly BUT if I were to forgive one first it would be my friend, especially knowing how Stud was (ok, so I can't be totally impartial here because I just can't hate my boy Stud) whereas Sam was a wolf in sheep's clothing lol. Also Boom: Tor is a completely useless little piece of sh*t and just because he dedicated a rap to her or whatever ( I skipped that scene because I wasn't going to waste my time) and then promised to behave BAAM they're back together and super in love. Really???
I know, I'm complaining a lot but I seriously enjoyed watching it despite being a mess. I knew since episode one this was going to go downhill so maybe the lack of expectations made me enjoy it more? Who knows. Also, that soundtrack? I loved it.
Now, GMMTV give me a show with Plustor and Singto as the main couple, or Plustor as the main lead or just something good pleaaaase.

PoetPanda
Jul 20, 2019
I ended up hating so many of the main characters in this series that it took away from being able to cheer for a happy ending for anyone. Sometimes I had to sit there and rationalize why any of these people, had they been real people and not just characters, would even be able to have actual friends.
It got to a point where the drama and over-the-top situations were so bountiful that I found myself wishing the series would just end already. Had I not invested so much time in it, I would have dropped it sooner and not finished. But for the sake of continuity, I decided to grin and bear it.
The BL scenes were nice and saucy, though. So that kept me going. Also, seeing my homeboy Lee Thanat in the mix. He's always great. But that's just my opinion since I'm biased and weak and feel like Lee Thanat can do no wrong.
The acting was actually pretty decent and believable. The actors really sold their characters. So much so, that when I see a few of them in other series, I break out into a cold sweat from remembering their horrible actions (not really, but you get the idea).
The one part of this show that was absolutely fantastic!!! was the soundtrack. So many excellent bops, including the opening theme song. I even made a playlist of the OST.
Overall, I don't plan to rewatch this series. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it. I just don't feel like it's worth aging 10 years over because that's how it made me feel by the end.