• Location: United States

United States
Together With Me: The Next Chapter
Nov 21, 2018

In Defense of Together With Me

Normally, I don't like to write reviews until I've completed whatever I'm reviewing, but I feel like all of the negativity being thrown towards TWM: The Next Chapter is incredibly frustrating, unfair, and undeserved. I'm so sad to see it get such a low rating because it pursues a story line we don't typically see in BL dramas, and people apparently can't handle that. No, it isn't lighthearted and easygoing like other series out there; but it's raw and authentic and definitely deserves a higher score than what it's been given on here. I feel like the low score is because people went into this expecting one thing but got something different, and their disappointment has resulted in them closing their minds to what we're given. So now because of that this series is rated lower than dramas with worse script writing, worse acting, and worse production. The actors here are fantastic as always, and the writing is not terrible like some are making it out to be; clearly something's working because it's doing what a good story is supposed to do: it's making people react, it's evoking emotions.

So, the primary reason why people are canceling this show is because of the so-called abudance of cheating. Without getting too bogged down, I'll just say that I respectfully disagree with these assessments. People are acting like this season contains nothing but an endless stream of people having affairs, living hedonistic lifestyles with no regrets. But, except for Farm and Bright's story (which is essentially Farm giving Bright a taste of his own medicine), this isn't true. Both Yihwa and Korn (the two "cheaters") are placed in situations that test their feelings and relationships. Korn's is induced by mounting pressure from his conservative, overbearing father to denounce his homosexuality and the strain this puts on his relationship with Knock (which causes them to fight about other little things as well), while Yihwa finds herself being seduced by her senior and boss. They're conflicted and act out of moments of weakness. Korn has ONE sexual encounter with his boss during a night of drinking and commiserating. Yihwa, beginning to feel conflicted and confused about her feelings towards Cho in light of the flirtatious attention from her boss, decides to take a break from both and figure herself out. And that's it! Afterwards, both are torn and devastated and yes, they do suffer tremendously for their conflicted feelings and mistaken actions. Forgiveness from their partners is far from automatic, and it is not coming easily.

Individuals in Yihwa's and Korn's position are not automatically bad people because of what they did or how they feel. Nor do their actions/feelings mean that they don't love their partner. Yes, it's unpleasant watching couples we love go through such hardships, but as a viewer and fan of the show, I have to believe that this will only make them stronger in the end.

That aside, I'm loving Farm and Bright's story so far, but I do wish that their story got a bit more attention, as they are my favorite couple in this universe. I found it odd that Farm's character did a complete 180 in terms of appearance and personality (it's like he was fused with Phu) but I warmed up to it really quickly. And I like that although he has Bright wrapped around his little fingers, he still shows a softer, affectionate side towards the doctor as well. Feelings are still there, and despite what Bright did to Farm in TWM, I'm rooting really hard for them to end up together. Rit, Farm's little boy toy that he's using to make Bright jealous, is cute, but he's rather dull and boring. Not a lot going on. Farm has much better chemistry with Bright, which just radiates off the screen.

Bottom line: People aren't black and white. They are complex, driven by a range of passions and emotions. You can't fit them neatly into precise little boxes. Life isn't always rainbows and sunshine, and the events that happen in this season happen in real life. Of course they don't happen in *every* relationship, but they do happen. The writers chose to explore these themes in this season, and all of the actors are doing an amazing job portraying their roles. Please don't let all of the negative comments, complaining, and undeserved low rating discourage you from watching this season. Go in with an open mind and understanding that humans are complex, especially when it comes to feelings of love and attraction, and this series explores that beautifully.

ReminderS
Apr 21, 2019

A Fun Revisit to Some Favorite Ships

So just as an initial note for anyone unaware/confused, this is not a continuation of Love by Chance, which is why the characters have different names and for the most part different mannerisms (Plan and Perth seemed very similar to their respective LBC character counterparts). There are, though, some playful allusions to LBC and the fandom, which I thought was a cute touch. As for Phun and Noh, this felt more like a slice-of-life additional chapter to what we’ve already seen (kind of similar to the compilation Our Skyy) but not necessarily a continuation of their story either. Overall, this project was designed to be more of a fun treat to give fans.

That said, I think fans of those shows will enjoy this little project, provided they keep in mind that it's its own separate work. It's great seeing some of the most well-loved Thai BL pairings back together, and New really is a talented and fantastic director. It feels like you're watching a crossover between the two universes (though, again, not technically so) which added a fun little dynamic.

In terms of plot, there's a story there. The main one is simple and relies on the oft used theme of misunderstandings and ensuing jealousy, but it kept me entertained and wasn't bogged down with unrelated filler. The secondary one gives us an earnest Mean trying to win over Plan’s moody heart, and I enjoyed seeing them act with different personalities. For consisting of only three, short episodes, ReminderS did a nice job of giving us a lighthearted, complete little one-shot, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from New.

As far as acting goes, I first have to say that Perth really impressed me with how far he's come since the first few episodes of LBC, and I think Captain has improved since his Love Sick days as well (and looked damn fine too, might I add). I loved the dynamic between all of them, as friends, enemies, lovers--they worked really well together which made this special all the more fun to watch.

The music--man I just have to say that the first and last minutes or so of episode one gave me all the nostalgic feels, and I was definitely here for it. Such a good move using those songs as the opening and closing themes! It really set the tone beautifully and having it interspersed throughout the other episodes as well added a really nice, sentimental touch.

Overall--really enjoyed it and of course recommend. You definitely don't need to watch Love Sick or LBC first to understand and enjoy ReminderS, so no worries if you interested in this one and haven't seen the others--totally fine to watch this one first.

Friend Zone
Feb 4, 2019

Maybe Not for Everyone, But I Really Liked It

STORY:
The show has a cool, hip vibe that I really like and that I think will appeal to those who like more mature themed dramas. Like others, I was initially interested in this show because of the BL part, but I became hooked on all of the characters’ storylines from the very first episode.

What starts out as a relatively lighthearted theme quickly turns more serious and conflict-driven. Some of the conflicts are ones we don’t see a lot of, whereas others are more common, but for the most part all felt very organic and natural to the plot and characters. A good chunk of this drama focuses on the breakdown of relationships and ensuing aftermath, working through the pain to try to get back what was once had, so if you’re looking for a fairy tale romance, this might not be for you. Infidelity is another prominent theme in this show, which is an apparently a pretty divisive topic. But, in my opinion, infidelity isn’t always a black and white issue, and those who commit it aren’t necessarily nor automatically bad people; they can feel remorse and sometimes deserve second chances. It’s a complex issue, and I think the writers and actors did a really nice job portraying this, as they did for other grey areas in the show. The drama itself touches on a lot of difficult and unpleasant things that can happen in life and relationships in a way that feels authentic. The conclusion/resolution was short, taking up only one episode, and a bit glossed over, but I felt like all of the important points were hit and we were left with some level of closure. Compared to how in depth the conflicts were, though, the resolutions could have been explored a little bit further.

Heavy stuff aside, the plot was dynamic and interesting, and I was invested from beginning to end, which made for what felt like a quick journey: one minute I was watching episode 1, then I blinked and was suddenly at episode 12. A good sign in my book, as I clearly wasn’t bored; I can’t say that for every drama I’ve watched.

ACTORS/CHARACTERS:
I was really impressed with all of the actors. Major and minor roles were played very well, the acting felt very natural, and the characters were multidimensional (i.e., for the most part they didn't feel like stock characters). And despite some moments where I wanted to shake some sense into a few of the main ones, I liked all of them and thought that they kept the story interesting and thought provoking. Especially loved (1) the strong female leads (Am and Boom in particular, but I liked Boyo too, despite her flaws, and thought she had some noteworthy moments) and (2) gay characters who were comfortable in their sexuality and not stereotyped or exaggerated.

MUSIC:
I thought the music fit the show very well: again, young, hip, and fresh. Also, this is one of the few (perhaps only) shows where I actually don’t want to skip the theme song (and opening in general) because I like it so much.

REWATCH VALUE:
There aren’t too many dramas that I can truly say I’m interested in re-watching, but this is definitely one of them!

OVERALL
I don’t think this is for everyone, but I thought it was a really great release from GMM. I’d recommend, especially if you prefer dramas that are more serious and mature.

My Dream The Series
Dec 20, 2018

Great Potential But Suffered from Slow Pacing

STORY:
My initial excitement for this drama fell by the wayside as the series progressed. Although the writers presented several interesting and unique concepts, they suffered noticeably in execution. As a result, the series became somewhat of a mess that left me wanting more. The pacing was horribly slow, with lots of silence in each episode, creating a very stagnant story line with very little plot development. I don’t mind a bit of silence as a creative decision to set the tone, but if you’re going to do it, then I need both the silence and every bit of dialogue to be important and push the story forward significantly. I didn’t get that with this series. And I know that with tight, skilled writing, a lot can be said in a small period of time, as I’ve seen fantastic dramas with half the number of episodes able to deliver rich, compelling stories (Obsessed, Right or Wrong, Boundary Crossing, Gay Ok Bangkok, etc.). The story here wasn’t terrible, but I just feel that with 12 episodes at their disposal, the brains behind My Dream could have given us a bit more.

Next, although some parts of the fantasy story line were fleshed out (albeit not nearly enough), the main story between Runway and Dream took a back seat to everything else in the drama, which was a bit surprising given the synopsis. In addition, some scenes that seemed important lacked sufficient exploration; there were also scenes introduced that had no apparent purpose other than filler, because they certainly didn’t aid in progression of the story.

The romance grew tedious and a bit tiresome because the characters were just running in circles every time.

Overall, with some tighter writing, this could have been a beautifully complex, multi-dimensional story. As it is, I think the writers got in over their heads and lacked a clear vision and the drama suffered for it.

ACTING/CHARACTERS:
Most of the actors and actresses did well in their roles. The one that just did not do it for me Taro, who plays Tanai. Bless him, he seems sweet, but his acting was incredibly stiff and he couldn’t really deliver expressions very well, which was off-putting as he was a main character. Best, who played Runway (again, another lead), though better, still wasn’t as strong as some of the side characters. But other than those two, I thought the cast did really well in their roles, though conversations at time felt a bit stilted and awkward. I wish they were given better material to work with.

MUSIC:
I overall like the OST. The opening theme especially is beautiful, and it complements the fantasy theme nicely.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
I may re-watch it once, a long way down the road, to see how the story feels when the next episode can be watched without waiting a week. But due to slow pacing and an under-developed plot line, I probably wouldn’t re-watch it more than once.

BOTTOM LINE:
I went into this drama with high expectations but was ultimately let down. It was okay, with some entertaining parts, but definitely not the best drama out there. I’m kind of surprised to hear that SS2 is coming (as of right now anyway), but I’ll probably watch that one as I’ve already committed to the story. For this drama, not sure that I’d recommend it, but if you’re curious about it I’d say give it a try.

The Best Twins
May 19, 2019

A Bit of A Mess

STORY:
If you’re looking for a series with an intricate, thoughtful, developed plot line, then you might want to skip this as I don’t think it’ll be your cup of tea. However, if you don’t mind a bit of nonsense, silliness, and fluffiness, then I think you’ll find The Best Twins enjoyable. I’m on the fence about this one, finding it funny and endearing at times but frustratingly stupid at other times. Some would argue that the point of the show is that it makes fun of stereotypes, fantasies, and fetishes, and that the writers don’t intend that this be some deep masterpiece. I totally get that. It’s pretty obvious from the first episode that the writers aren’t taking themselves or this show too seriously. But it doesn’t change the fact that the series is poorly written and virtually lacking in plot. There’s a way to provide smart, satirical commentary, but The Best Twins does not do that.

More specifics: First, the writing could have been tighter. A lot of the scenes contained nonsense that dragged on without really advancing the story, as if the writers wanted to include silliness just for the sake of being silly (which I found tiring). Second, lot of the humor is very obvious and slapstick, and I prefer more subtle, clever humor. Finally, I found the endless playing of sound effects whenever something was funny a bit grating. However, I know that all of these are techniques often used in comedies (which aren’t my favorite genre to begin with), so these may not be as huge of an issue to you as they are to me—I do think it’ll come down to preference.

Humor aside, I also didn't like that so many side characters were introduced, but for what purpose? They were given virtually no story arc at all—and anything that was there was incredibly shallow. Moreover, some storylines seemed to be dropped after just a few episodes. As a huge a huge fan and proponent of Chekhov’s Gun, I found these things frustrating and a waste of time and material.

ACTORS/CHARACTERS:
The actors were kind of hit or miss. The ones who really saved this drama for me—and the ONLY reason I continued watching—were Mild and Pak (acting as Pond). I’d only every seen Mild in What the Duck, where he played an adorably awkward minor role, so I wasn’t too sure what to expect from him going into this. I fell in love with him almost immediately. His character is so sweet and endearing, so easy to empathize with him as he yearned for Pond. Also, the chemistry between him and Pak was so good—they made my heart melt in every little scene together. They get a 100 out of 10 from me. Seriously, their dynamic is one of the best I’ve seen in Thai BL, and I’ve definitely found a new ship.

As for the other characters—shallow, two-dimensional, stock like. Their roles and story lines weren’t given enough time to develop, so I didn’t really care about them at all. They were just there for filler I guess.

OVERALL:
I know this will come down to personal preference, but overall I don’t think I’d recommend The Best Twins. Without a doubt Mild and Pak (and their amazing chemistry) were the ONLY saving grace for me; without them, I probably would have dropped this drama. There were parts that made ma laugh and parts that made me go “aww” but I just don’t think it can hold a candle next to some other Thai BLs out there (and yes, this is taking into consideration the fact that it’s a comedy).

Kakegurui
Mar 31, 2019
Loved, loved, loved this! I was thrown off at first by the overacting, but when I read from others on here that it's deliberate, I immediately got into it and think it made this drama all the more special. It really feels like you're watching a live action anime, and that gives Kakegurui a special and unique touch that sets it apart from a lot of other dramas. Though the episodes were a little formulaic, they were fun and enjoyable to watch. I thought all the games were clever and was interested in seeing how Yumeko figured them out. The actors were fantastic; I absolutely adored Minami as Yumeko and loved her dynamic with the other characters, especially Manyuda. If I had to offer some critique, it'd be that I wish we got more character backstory, especially with the main ones and even more especially with Yumeko, since there was definitely something going on there. Perhaps we'll see that in Season 2, but overall it didn't take away from my enjoyment of this show. Definitely add this to your list if you're looking for something fun to watch!

Kingdom
Feb 11, 2019

In a Word, Amazing!

Period piece. Political conflict. Action. Suspense. Plot twists. Cliffhangers. And a dash of humor. This drama has EV-ER-Y-THING! Seriously, I cannot sing high enough praises for this drama. And this is coming from someone who is not into zombies (never really got the appeal; more of an Anne Rice girl myself). In fact, going into the show, I wasn't expecting zombies at all (yes, somehow I missed the giant reflection in the sword) and when it was revealed to be one of the premises, I was kind of "meh" and a little turned off. That lasted for about a millisecond. Not only were those chase scenes some of the most exhilarating moments in the show, but the interpretation and characterization of the zombies, as well as the role they played in the story was, I thought, cleverly done. Supernatural stuff aside, the political aspects of the plot line were intriguing; I'm really interested to see it develop further in Season 2. And the cinematography, scenery, and sets--breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe them.

With 6 episodes ranging in length from 40 to 60 minutes, this drama is short. However, the screenwriter did a fantastic job of fitting so much in and providing a solid first season. I wish there was a little more explanation and backstory on some things, but I'm hoping (expecting?) we'll get some of that in Season 2. Overall, definitely recommend! But be prepared for a major cliffhanger in the finale. Meanwhile, I'll be joining the fandom as we impatiently wait for Season 2 to be released.

What the Duck The Series
Nov 24, 2018
Note: This review is for the Thai version of the show.

STORY:
- I found the main story between Oat and Pop to be rather dull. It had a slow start. I thought it would start to pick up at the halfway point, when the faintest hint of romantic sparks blossomed between them, but was quickly disappointed as the story continued to bore me. I think the major downfall (for me) was that their story was more character-driven, so I felt like we were mostly meandering aimlessly along with the two boys until the finale. Not a lot happened, yet they took up 20 episodes, so the story seemed very slow and static. It felt very slice of life, which I'm not a huge fan of. Unfortunately, I didn't get super into until the last few episodes, which was when all the drama happened.
- Pree and Rambo's story, and the other hand, was the motivation I needed to finish this series to the end, tragic though it was. It was dynamic, compelling, full of drama and angst. They gave me all the feels (both good and bad), and I grew impatient waiting for their next scenes. Their story actually had a plot line, with more dynamic obstacles, and I wish they could have had their own series to really flesh out what was given.

ACTING/CAST:
- Overall pretty good. Some of the minor characters were annoying, but I thought that the main characters did a good job.
- Again, Pree and Rambo were my favorites. The MewArt hype is well-deserved. Their chemistry was amazing right from the get-go, and they delivered the most scorching scenes in the drama (if you're looking for sexy, more mature romance scenes, they'll deliver). They made me fall in love and broke my heart. I also liked that, aside from Rambo's conflict with his father, both characters were unabashedly, unconditionally gay. Not gay for you, not confused about their sexuality, not ashamed of their sexuality: just gay. There's another character who fit this mold as well, which I also enjoyed. We don't always get this in BL dramas, so when it does show up, it's a refreshing treat that I take notice of. My only complaint is that we didn't get nearly as much screen time with them as I was hoping for, but I am happy with what I got even though it wasn't entirely filled with happy times.
- O and Strong performed well in their roles too. Of the two, I preferred Strong's character, Oat, who I found to be deeper and more complex. On the surface, he seemed like a happy-go-lucky goofball who didn't take anything too seriously, but we also saw some sweet, tender moments that tugged at the heartstrings as well. He has charm and charisma that made me root for him. Pop, though, I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get on board with him. He was dorky and quirky and did have some cute, sweet moments, but there was just something about him that was off-putting to me and made it more difficult to truly care about him. He just seemed like a bit of a prat. As for their chemistry, for most of the series it felt very one-sided and bromance-y (in part because it was). But the few reciprocal romantic moments between them, as well as Oat's affection towards Pop, were very tender and sweet.

MUSIC:
- Pretty good. I'm not a music buff so I generally don't pay much attention to this. The only thing I'll note is that during some scenes the music was really loud, almost drowning out the actors.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
- The only parts I would re-watch are those revolving around Pree and Rambo (well, the early ones at least).

He's Coming To Me
Apr 28, 2019
STORY:
Well, I guess I’m in the minority here because I’m not completely fawning over this drama like many others are lol. That said, I do think this is one of the better produced Thai dramas, especially among BL-themed ones, in terms of acting, cinematography, writing, and overall production (though for reference I wouldn’t put it on par with, say, a well-written Korean drama with the same tags). The mystery and supernatural themes were a nice change from what we usually get in this genre, though for a while the mystery plot line seemed to disappear, only to emerge again full force in the final episode, where everything is revealed rather easily without any real sleuthing taking place (only some lighthearted attempts earlier in the series that didn’t lead anywhere). Other than that, the pacing is generally good (though I did find myself bored at times and wanting to skip ahead), the amount of filler is minimal (for which I cannot express enough how appreciative I am!), and most episodes ended with a cliffhanger that made me eager for the next one. Though only eight episodes, I thought that was the perfect length, as it allowed the writers to give us a complete, rather succinct story without too much distraction.

I did notice a couple of apparent plot inconsistencies that I just wanted to note. First, it struck me as odd that Mes (the ghost) was able to interact with some solid objects (such as sitting on furniture or using a laptop) but not others (such as touching a utensil or living person). I think the writers tried to explain this about halfway through, but the explanation felt like a less-than-fully-realized afterthought that still didn’t completely resolve the inconsistency (the same principle that applies in one situation should apply to all, no?). Second, there’s one episode where a character can’t see Mes at all, and then in the next episode she can not only see him, but she has an entire conversation with him. I totally understand what the writers were trying to do with the latter scene, but the lack of explanation for why she could suddenly see him (and wasn’t freaked out) threw me off.

ACTING/CAST:
Regular connoisseurs of Thai BLs will recognize the main cast here and not be disappointed with the skills they bring. I think a lot of viewers enjoy this drama especially because it stars Singto, and I’d say he was the standout, continuing to prove that he can act with the best of them. Ohm was a great co-star, and I loved seeing him bring some of that sweet charm he gave us as Frame in Make It Right, while also showcasing his talent for portraying deeper, more tearjerker emotions as well. I also have to commend Sarocha for her portrayal of Plai. Even though she appears to be a newcomer to the scene, she was fantastic and I can definitely see her getting a lot more roles. No complaints with the remaining supporting cast either—everyone felt natural and authentic.

OVERALL:
Certainly one of the better Thai BLs (-ish?) out there and a good addition to GMM’s reservoir. The mystery aspect is a bit weaker than other dramas I’ve seen, so if you’re interested primarily for that, you may be underwhelmed. Similarly, if you’ve seen a lot of really intricate and intense mysteries/thrillers, especially Korean ones, then I don’t think you’ll be too impressed with this one. However, the story between Than and Mes is really sweet and well done, and fans of these actors won’t be disappointed. An overall heartwarming story that I’d recommend.

My Bromance
Feb 28, 2019

Cute & Light

STORY:
Nothing intricate or complicated here, but that's not a bad thing! Descriptive words that come to mind are lighthearted, fun, silly, and over the top. I laughed several times while watching this series, and it put me in a good mood. That plus the fact that the episodes are so short (around 7-10 minutes) makes this a great series for lazy afternoons or when you need some filler in between dramas. The production value and filmography impressed me as well! Not sure what the budget was, but even if it was small you wouldn't be able to tell from watching.

A note for anyone curious about the BL: It's there, but it makes up a relatively small portion of the show, which focuses more on the relationships between the mother and her children. It's still a fun and entertaining series to watch, though, but don't go in expecting this to be primarily a BL story (but what we did get was really cute!).

ACTING/CAST:
Loved all of them and they all did a really great job. Like the story, they were silly and over the top, not taking themselves too seriously, but they have some sweeter, more serious moments as well (without being too heavy). I thought the ladies were a tad stronger (and I freaking love Erica!); the guys were good, but I did notice that some of their delivery was a tiny bit stiff (like they were just saying the lines and going through the motions but not really acting).

MUSIC:
No complaints here. I liked the opening theme and thought it set the mood for the show nicely.

OVERALL:
If you're interested, go for it! This was a nice little break and I thought the producers and actors did a really good job with this web series. I would love for them to make a follow-up season so we can see more of the relationships that developed near the end.

Love by Chance
Nov 19, 2018
*Potential spoiler section is marked below*

Ahhh, the series that made viewers fall in love and then broke their hearts! Putting aside the unfortunate news that Season 2 is unlikely, I still think this is a good drama and recommend adding it to your watch list. Just get your heart and tissues ready before watching the final episode (and make sure to watch the Director's Version so you don't miss anything).

The plot was interesting and dynamic, with each episode moving the story along nicely. Beware that we are introduced to a lot of characters up front, and for me at least it was a little challenging keeping track of who was who and what their relationship to one another was, but with the help of a cheat sheet and a couple of episodes later, I had each one down.

The acting, for the most part, was pretty good. Although some actors in the beginning felt a little stiff, I did notice it improving as the series went on. Saint as Pete was absolutely adorable, and he somehow managed to exude both shy innocence and sexy naughtiness. As others have noted, it was so refreshing to see that this character was gay and not gay-for-you, which occurs frequently in BL pieces. Perth as Ae was caring and doting, and his loyalty to and protectiveness of Pete was charming. Tin and Can--ugh, my favorite couple and the favorite of probably a majority of fans as well. Can (or Cantaloupe, as Tin likes to call him *my heart*) was so cute: young, naive, and pretty much drama-free until resident tsundere Tin decides to make Can the target of his affections. Once it became apparent that they would become a pair, I waited impatiently for the upcoming episode to see how much further along they would get. I just loved the side of Tin that Can brought out, and seeing Can get so flustered with Tin as he tried to work out his emotions towards the other boy was so charming and well-done. And that last scene with Tin in the shower, wow. Surrounding circumstances notwithstanding, he really shone in that scene. It was so beautiful and so raw and probably the best-acted scene in the entire series, in my humble opinion.

There are two other BL couples to speak of, though they don't get nearly as much screen time. The first is Tum and Tar, step-brothers who harbor complicated feelings for one another and one of whom hides a dark secret. The second consists of Kenglka, a high school student crushing on his best friend's brother, Techno, a university student who is friends with Ae and Can. Though short, I feel that Tum and Tar are given sufficient screen time to tell a complete story and leave you with a bit of closure. But I was a bit disappointed that KlaNo's story got barely any development. The most significant thing that happened between them occurred in the last episode, and it felt more like the beginning of something that would have been explored further in Season 2. I did hear that P'New was going to make a spin-off for these two characters, though we'll see if that's still going to happen now. I hope that he does, as I'd love to see Mark and Gun breathe more life into these characters. Though they only had a few minutes together as a couple, Mark did so well in his role as Kengkla, and I'm curious to know how KlaNo's relationship develops.

Characters aside, in terms of story line, from what I've seen, P'New stuck pretty closely to the timeline and events in the books. Thus, although I got a little bored with Ae and Pete's story, preferring to see more development in the three side couples, I appreciate the director's faithfulness to the original text. This also helps explain why the other couples didn't get as much screen time, especially TumTar and KlaNo, as I don't think they played major roles in the book (with Tum and Tar playing bigger roles in other books from this universe). And, without revealing too much, this may also explain why one of the couples got a sad (read: heartbreaking) ending. I think the series just ended in the wrong place in the books.

***BEGIN SPOILER***
Speaking of that ending, because I have to get my thoughts down . . . . Sadly, Tin and Can do not get a happily ever after. At least, not in the series. This, coupled with the fact that Season 2 seems unlikely, is the source of disappointment for most people. One the one hand, I respect P'New's rationale that it makes the series more realistic: not everyone gets a happy ending. I can also see where Can's rejection was somewhat supported by his earlier actions. Tin was the more pushy one, and Can struggled with his feelings throughout the entire series. He was still struggling when Tin confessed to him, trying to figure out the difference between liking someone as a friend and liking someone as more than that. But on the other hand, Can also (perhaps subtly) seemed to be warming up to having Tin as a boyfriend, which I think gave a lot of viewers hope and made the ending even more surprising. We saw Can get jealous when he though Tin liked someone else, and we also saw Can ask for more kisses when hanging out with Tin earlier. Again, it may just be that Tin confessed too soon, before Can had a chance to work out his feelings, and because of that I can see how P'New would construe the confession scene, and its consequences, the way he did.
***END SPOILER***

Overall, this was a really solid start to what could have been a few great seasons, and I'm sad to see it end the way it did. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things will get resolved and we'll get a Season 2 or maybe a couple of spin-offs, but I thin right now P'New needs a break from the real-life drama. On the plus side, I heard he's cleaning up some unedited footage with plans to release it, so at least we'll get one final treat. I'm also now impatiently waiting for the English translation of the novel to be released to I can get that happy ending I'm told exists. :)

Our Skyy
Dec 21, 2018
STORY:
Overall cute, entertaining little one shots featuring some of our favorite GMM-TV guys. The writers give us drama without it getting too heavy or angsty. For the most part, each episode provides either a follow-up/conclusion to what we were given in each respective drama or a side story that takes place at some future time but still following canon. The only story that seemed a little off to me, and *only* when compared to the end of its main drama, was the one with In and Sun. Whereas at the end of Edge of 17, In and Sun had begun a tenuous yet happy relationship, here they seemed to have taken a couple of steps back, and we’re once again rooting for these two to have their happy ending. It’s still a good one shot and still feels authentic in terms of In and Sun’s characters. And, prior ending notwithstanding, it does feel consistent with In’s character (given what we saw throughout Edge of 17). But I think for that episode, you have to put aside the ending to Edge of 17 (or just imagine your own scenario that occurred afterwards that would lead up the events in Our Skyy).

That aside, in all of these episodes, we watch these boys experience thoughtful character development and gain a deeper sense of understanding and appreciation of their partners and relationship. I think it’s this growth that adds to a sense of closure and knowledge that everything will be okay.

ACTING/CAST:
These guys have already proven themselves to be more than capable of delivering great performances, and they brought that same energy and dynamic we’d expect them to bring based on their previous works. I have to really commend Off and Gun who, because of their plot line, had to emulate how the other would act in terms of facial and body language. Both pulled it off impeccably. Frank and Drake (Mork and Tee) were probably my favorite in terms of chemistry (so sweet and naturally affectionate), and Krist brought his signature adorableness as well.

MUSIC:
I love Fluke’s song that I think is only associated with Pick and Rome’s story (??). So catchy. Don’t really have any other standouts, but the music was still enjoyable.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
I don’t typically re-watch dramas unless they are especially compelling. For Our Skyy, I may go back and skim a few episodes when I’m short on something to watch.

OVERALL:
I really enjoyed revisiting these characters and falling in love with them all over again, and I’m sure fans of the original series will feel the same. If you’ve already watched those prequel dramas (which I do recommend doing before embarking on this) then I’m sure you’ll love this as well. Of course I’d recommend! :)

OrG! (Come & Play)
Jul 7, 2019

Started Off Good But Left Me Underwhelmed

STORY:
This series is good for BL fans who enjoy more mature content and don’t mind a bit of smut. The setting is different than your more mainstream BLs, which I thought gave it a more interesting touch. The episodes follow the same general format: most of it focuses on introducing characters and advancing the storyline and concludes with a more gratuitous sex scene (which, yes, can get explicit—though no complete nudity is shown. If that’s not your thing then you may want to skip those parts, but if you want something less vanilla than a lot of other BLs, then you won’t be disappointed). That said, I found that as the episode number increased, the plot line was given less attention, the story felt really rushed, and the characters acted in ways that felt flat, inorganic, and solely for the purpose of pushing a particular narrative. That is, I would have appreciated their actions more had they--the characters--been given more backstory and development. Having finished the series, I’m left wanting so much more based on the story line and first few episodes, but unfortunately the story seemed to get a little lost and underwhelming about halfway through.

ACTING:
A bit hit or miss. I thought the three main guys—Brian, Andre, and Ryan—were decent, but the supporting cast was about what you’d expect coming from what I’m thinking is a lower-budget project (in other words, I don’t think they’ll make it as actors).

MUSIC:
Really cool vibe, I liked it.

REWATCH VALUE AND OVERALL THOUGHTS:
Although nowhere near among the best dramas I’ve seen, the story was entertaining and somewhat different. I wish more time was given to plot and character development, but the episodes are short so it’s not a huge investment of time. If you’re interested in the series and don’t mind a bit of what’s essentially soft porn, then I’d say go for it. Just don’t expect a super deep and profound masterpiece.

Green Door
Mar 31, 2019
Based on the summary and cover art, I was super excited going into this drama. Unfortunately, it fell a bit flat for me. Although I liked the subdued, almost lazy tone of this series, the plot itself was too slow-paced for my liking and didn't do the "big reveal" justice. I feel like the plot twist, which is revealed in the final episode, is really the crux of this story, and all of the events leading up to it don't have much meaningful significance until the twist is revealed. As a result, it kind of feels like we're meandering along without a clear end-sight in mind. The final episode, to me, was the most interesting and, after I finished it, I was left wishing that the same energy and dynamic there had been applied to episodes 1 through 5 as well. Moreover, the story line I was most interested in (Ma Ri's) got the least amount of time devoted to it, and I couldn't really get into the other ones. All in all it was a dull lead up to a great climax that left me wishing the set up and execution had been sharper (though I know it's based on a book so I guess there's only so much the screenwriters could do with the story line).

As for the characters and acting, I thought all of the actors did well in their roles. I do, however, agree with someone's comment below that the two romantic interests had no chemistry whatsoever, so I found it a little hard to believe. While it kind of makes sense once the reason for the strain is revealed, I do wish that the actors had been able to portray a little more interest or *something* to make the relationship feel less sterile.

Overall I wouldn't say this is a bad drama, but I guess I went in with too high of expectations and came out feeling let down. Having only 6 episodes at about an hour each, it's not a huge investment of your time, but it wouldn't be the first drama I'd recommend.

And for anyone curious/hesitant about the horror tag: Aside from one or two quick jump scares, I didn't find it scary at all. It kind of gives me a Ghost Whisperer vibe, so I think it'll be okay for those who are interested but not into the scary stuff (which I'm not really into either).

Gay OK Bangkok
Dec 3, 2018
A sexy, authentic drama focusing on adult themes for adult audiences, Gay OK Bangkok is a nice break from the fluffier BL titles out there. All of the actors are great; they have wonderful chemistry with one another and portray emotions really well. It is short, which I'm guessing is due to a relatively small budget, sometimes things felt rushed, and although I wish we could have had more of the story fleshed out, I'm still left feeling as though I got a complete story and a good understanding of the characters. A lot was accomplished in these five episodes, and the characters felt three-dimensional, genuine, despite sometimes being placed in stereotypical settings. The ending, while not necessarily sad, is a bit ambiguous, but I'm looking forward to seeing where things go in Season 2. Definitely recommend watching this!