• Last Online: 15 minutes ago

United States
Together With Me: The Next Chapter
Nov 21, 2018

In Defense of Together With Me

Normally, I don't like to write reviews until I've completed whatever I'm reviewing, but I feel like all of the negativity being thrown towards TWM: The Next Chapter is incredibly frustrating, unfair, and undeserved. I'm so sad to see it get such a low rating because it pursues a story line we don't typically see in BL dramas, and people apparently can't handle that. No, it isn't lighthearted and easygoing like other series out there; but it's raw and authentic and definitely deserves a higher score than what it's been given on here. I feel like the low score is because people went into this expecting one thing but got something different, and their disappointment has resulted in them closing their minds to what we're given. So now because of that this series is rated lower than dramas with worse script writing, worse acting, and worse production. The actors here are fantastic as always, and the writing is not terrible like some are making it out to be; clearly something's working because it's doing what a good story is supposed to do: it's making people react, it's evoking emotions.

So, the primary reason why people are canceling this show is because of the so-called abudance of cheating. Without getting too bogged down, I'll just say that I respectfully disagree with these assessments. People are acting like this season contains nothing but an endless stream of people having affairs, living hedonistic lifestyles with no regrets. But, except for Farm and Bright's story (which is essentially Farm giving Bright a taste of his own medicine), this isn't true. Both Yihwa and Korn (the two "cheaters") are placed in situations that test their feelings and relationships. Korn's is induced by mounting pressure from his conservative, overbearing father to denounce his homosexuality and the strain this puts on his relationship with Knock (which causes them to fight about other little things as well), while Yihwa finds herself being seduced by her senior and boss. They're conflicted and act out of moments of weakness. Korn has ONE sexual encounter with his boss during a night of drinking and commiserating. Yihwa, beginning to feel conflicted and confused about her feelings towards Cho in light of the flirtatious attention from her boss, decides to take a break from both and figure herself out. And that's it! Afterwards, both are torn and devastated and yes, they do suffer tremendously for their conflicted feelings and mistaken actions. Forgiveness from their partners is far from automatic, and it is not coming easily.

Individuals in Yihwa's and Korn's position are not automatically bad people because of what they did or how they feel. Nor do their actions/feelings mean that they don't love their partner. Yes, it's unpleasant watching couples we love go through such hardships, but as a viewer and fan of the show, I have to believe that this will only make them stronger in the end.

That aside, I'm loving Farm and Bright's story so far, but I do wish that their story got a bit more attention, as they are my favorite couple in this universe. I found it odd that Farm's character did a complete 180 in terms of appearance and personality (it's like he was fused with Phu) but I warmed up to it really quickly. And I like that although he has Bright wrapped around his little fingers, he still shows a softer, affectionate side towards the doctor as well. Feelings are still there, and despite what Bright did to Farm in TWM, I'm rooting really hard for them to end up together. Rit, Farm's little boy toy that he's using to make Bright jealous, is cute, but he's rather dull and boring. Not a lot going on. Farm has much better chemistry with Bright, which just radiates off the screen.

Bottom line: People aren't black and white. They are complex, driven by a range of passions and emotions. You can't fit them neatly into precise little boxes. Life isn't always rainbows and sunshine, and the events that happen in this season happen in real life. Of course they don't happen in *every* relationship, but they do happen. The writers chose to explore these themes in this season, and all of the actors are doing an amazing job portraying their roles. Please don't let all of the negative comments, complaining, and undeserved low rating discourage you from watching this season. Go in with an open mind and understanding that humans are complex, especially when it comes to feelings of love and attraction, and this series explores that beautifully.

Friend Zone

Maybe Not for Everyone, But I Really Liked It

STORY:
The show has a cool, hip vibe that I really like and that I think will appeal to those who like more mature themed dramas. Like others, I was initially interested in this show because of the BL part, but I became hooked on all of the characters’ storylines from the very first episode.

What starts out as a relatively lighthearted theme quickly turns more serious and conflict-driven. Some of the conflicts are ones we don’t see a lot of, whereas others are more common, but for the most part all felt very organic and natural to the plot and characters. A good chunk of this drama focuses on the breakdown of relationships and ensuing aftermath, working through the pain to try to get back what was once had, so if you’re looking for a fairy tale romance, this might not be for you. Infidelity is another prominent theme in this show, which is an apparently a pretty divisive topic. But, in my opinion, infidelity isn’t always a black and white issue, and those who commit it aren’t necessarily nor automatically bad people; they can feel remorse and sometimes deserve second chances. It’s a complex issue, and I think the writers and actors did a really nice job portraying this, as they did for other grey areas in the show. The drama itself touches on a lot of difficult and unpleasant things that can happen in life and relationships in a way that feels authentic. The conclusion/resolution was short, taking up only one episode, and a bit glossed over, but I felt like all of the important points were hit and we were left with some level of closure. Compared to how in depth the conflicts were, though, the resolutions could have been explored a little bit further.

Heavy stuff aside, the plot was dynamic and interesting, and I was invested from beginning to end, which made for what felt like a quick journey: one minute I was watching episode 1, then I blinked and was suddenly at episode 12. A good sign in my book, as I clearly wasn’t bored; I can’t say that for every drama I’ve watched.

ACTORS/CHARACTERS:
I was really impressed with all of the actors. Major and minor roles were played very well, the acting felt very natural, and the characters were multidimensional (i.e., for the most part they didn't feel like stock characters). And despite some moments where I wanted to shake some sense into a few of the main ones, I liked all of them and thought that they kept the story interesting and thought provoking. Especially loved (1) the strong female leads (Am and Boom in particular, but I liked Boyo too, despite her flaws, and thought she had some noteworthy moments) and (2) gay characters who were comfortable in their sexuality and not stereotyped or exaggerated.

MUSIC:
I thought the music fit the show very well: again, young, hip, and fresh. Also, this is one of the few (perhaps only) shows where I actually don’t want to skip the theme song (and opening in general) because I like it so much.

REWATCH VALUE:
There aren’t too many dramas that I can truly say I’m interested in re-watching, but this is definitely one of them!

OVERALL
I don’t think this is for everyone, but I thought it was a really great release from GMM. I’d recommend, especially if you prefer dramas that are more serious and mature.

My Dream The Series
Dec 20, 2018

Great Potential But Suffered from Slow Pacing

STORY:
My initial excitement for this drama fell by the wayside as the series progressed. Although the writers presented several interesting and unique concepts, they suffered noticeably in execution. As a result, the series became somewhat of a mess that left me wanting more. The pacing was horribly slow, with lots of silence in each episode, creating a very stagnant story line with very little plot development. I don’t mind a bit of silence as a creative decision to set the tone, but if you’re going to do it, then I need both the silence and every bit of dialogue to be important and push the story forward significantly. I didn’t get that with this series. And I know that with tight, skilled writing, a lot can be said in a small period of time, as I’ve seen fantastic dramas with half the number of episodes able to deliver rich, compelling stories (Obsessed, Right or Wrong, Boundary Crossing, Gay Ok Bangkok, etc.). The story here wasn’t terrible, but I just feel that with 12 episodes at their disposal, the brains behind My Dream could have given us a bit more.

Next, although some parts of the fantasy story line were fleshed out (albeit not nearly enough), the main story between Runway and Dream took a back seat to everything else in the drama, which was a bit surprising given the synopsis. In addition, some scenes that seemed important lacked sufficient exploration; there were also scenes introduced that had no apparent purpose other than filler, because they certainly didn’t aid in progression of the story.

The romance grew tedious and a bit tiresome because the characters were just running in circles every time.

Overall, with some tighter writing, this could have been a beautifully complex, multi-dimensional story. As it is, I think the writers got in over their heads and lacked a clear vision and the drama suffered for it.

ACTING/CHARACTERS:
Most of the actors and actresses did well in their roles. The one that just did not do it for me Taro, who plays Tanai. Bless him, he seems sweet, but his acting was incredibly stiff and he couldn’t really deliver expressions very well, which was off-putting as he was a main character. Best, who played Runway (again, another lead), though better, still wasn’t as strong as some of the side characters. But other than those two, I thought the cast did really well in their roles, though conversations at time felt a bit stilted and awkward. I wish they were given better material to work with.

MUSIC:
I overall like the OST. The opening theme especially is beautiful, and it complements the fantasy theme nicely.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
I may re-watch it once, a long way down the road, to see how the story feels when the next episode can be watched without waiting a week. But due to slow pacing and an under-developed plot line, I probably wouldn’t re-watch it more than once.

BOTTOM LINE:
I went into this drama with high expectations but was ultimately let down. It was okay, with some entertaining parts, but definitely not the best drama out there. I’m kind of surprised to hear that SS2 is coming (as of right now anyway), but I’ll probably watch that one as I’ve already committed to the story. For this drama, not sure that I’d recommend it, but if you’re curious about it I’d say give it a try.

Kingdom

In a Word, Amazing!

Period piece. Political conflict. Action. Suspense. Plot twists. Cliffhangers. And a dash of humor. This drama has EV-ER-Y-THING! Seriously, I cannot sing high enough praises for this drama. And this is coming from someone who is not into zombies (never really got the appeal; more of an Anne Rice girl myself). In fact, going into the show, I wasn't expecting zombies at all (yes, somehow I missed the giant reflection in the sword) and when it was revealed to be one of the premises, I was kind of "meh" and a little turned off. That lasted for about a millisecond. Not only were those chase scenes some of the most exhilarating moments in the show, but the interpretation and characterization of the zombies, as well as the role they played in the story was, I thought, cleverly done. Supernatural stuff aside, the political aspects of the plot line were intriguing; I'm really interested to see it develop further in Season 2. And the cinematography, scenery, and sets--breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe them.

With 6 episodes ranging in length from 40 to 60 minutes, this drama is short. However, the screenwriter did a fantastic job of fitting so much in and providing a solid first season. I wish there was a little more explanation and backstory on some things, but I'm hoping (expecting?) we'll get some of that in Season 2. Overall, definitely recommend! But be prepared for a major cliffhanger in the finale. Meanwhile, I'll be joining the fandom as we impatiently wait for Season 2 to be released.

Gay OK Bangkok
Dec 3, 2018
A sexy, authentic drama focusing on adult themes for adult audiences, Gay OK Bangkok is a nice break from the fluffier BL titles out there. All of the actors are great; they have wonderful chemistry with one another and portray emotions really well. It is short, which I'm guessing is due to a relatively small budget, sometimes things felt rushed, and although I wish we could have had more of the story fleshed out, I'm still left feeling as though I got a complete story and a good understanding of the characters. A lot was accomplished in these five episodes, and the characters felt three-dimensional, genuine, despite sometimes being placed in stereotypical settings. The ending, while not necessarily sad, is a bit ambiguous, but I'm looking forward to seeing where things go in Season 2. Definitely recommend watching this!

What the Duck The Series
Nov 24, 2018
Note: This review is for the Thai version of the show.

STORY:
- I found the main story between Oat and Pop to be rather dull. It had a slow start. I thought it would start to pick up at the halfway point, when the faintest hint of romantic sparks blossomed between them, but was quickly disappointed as the story continued to bore me. I think the major downfall (for me) was that their story was more character-driven, so I felt like we were mostly meandering aimlessly along with the two boys until the finale. Not a lot happened, yet they took up 20 episodes, so the story seemed very slow and static. It felt very slice of life, which I'm not a huge fan of. Unfortunately, I didn't get super into until the last few episodes, which was when all the drama happened.
- Pree and Rambo's story, and the other hand, was the motivation I needed to finish this series to the end, tragic though it was. It was dynamic, compelling, full of drama and angst. They gave me all the feels (both good and bad), and I grew impatient waiting for their next scenes. Their story actually had a plot line, with more dynamic obstacles, and I wish they could have had their own series to really flesh out what was given.

ACTING/CAST:
- Overall pretty good. Some of the minor characters were annoying, but I thought that the main characters did a good job.
- Again, Pree and Rambo were my favorites. The MewArt hype is well-deserved. Their chemistry was amazing right from the get-go, and they delivered the most scorching scenes in the drama (if you're looking for sexy, more mature romance scenes, they'll deliver). They made me fall in love and broke my heart. I also liked that, aside from Rambo's conflict with his father, both characters were unabashedly, unconditionally gay. Not gay for you, not confused about their sexuality, not ashamed of their sexuality: just gay. There's another character who fit this mold as well, which I also enjoyed. We don't always get this in BL dramas, so when it does show up, it's a refreshing treat that I take notice of. My only complaint is that we didn't get nearly as much screen time with them as I was hoping for, but I am happy with what I got even though it wasn't entirely filled with happy times.
- O and Strong performed well in their roles too. Of the two, I preferred Strong's character, Oat, who I found to be deeper and more complex. On the surface, he seemed like a happy-go-lucky goofball who didn't take anything too seriously, but we also saw some sweet, tender moments that tugged at the heartstrings as well. He has charm and charisma that made me root for him. Pop, though, I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get on board with him. He was dorky and quirky and did have some cute, sweet moments, but there was just something about him that was off-putting to me and made it more difficult to truly care about him. He just seemed like a bit of a prat. As for their chemistry, for most of the series it felt very one-sided and bromance-y (in part because it was). But the few reciprocal romantic moments between them, as well as Oat's affection towards Pop, were very tender and sweet.

MUSIC:
- Pretty good. I'm not a music buff so I generally don't pay much attention to this. The only thing I'll note is that during some scenes the music was really loud, almost drowning out the actors.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
- The only parts I would re-watch are those revolving around Pree and Rambo (well, the early ones at least).

Love by Chance
Nov 19, 2018
*Potential spoiler section is marked below*

Ahhh, the series that made viewers fall in love and then broke their hearts! Putting aside the unfortunate news that Season 2 is unlikely, I still think this is a good drama and recommend adding it to your watch list. Just get your heart and tissues ready before watching the final episode (and make sure to watch the Director's Version so you don't miss anything).

The plot was interesting and dynamic, with each episode moving the story along nicely. Beware that we are introduced to a lot of characters up front, and for me at least it was a little challenging keeping track of who was who and what their relationship to one another was, but with the help of a cheat sheet and a couple of episodes later, I had each one down.

The acting, for the most part, was pretty good. Although some actors in the beginning felt a little stiff, I did notice it improving as the series went on. Saint as Pete was absolutely adorable, and he somehow managed to exude both shy innocence and sexy naughtiness. As others have noted, it was so refreshing to see that this character was gay and not gay-for-you, which occurs frequently in BL pieces. Perth as Ae was caring and doting, and his loyalty to and protectiveness of Pete was charming. Tin and Can--ugh, my favorite couple and the favorite of probably a majority of fans as well. Can (or Cantaloupe, as Tin likes to call him *my heart*) was so cute: young, naive, and pretty much drama-free until resident tsundere Tin decides to make Can the target of his affections. Once it became apparent that they would become a pair, I waited impatiently for the upcoming episode to see how much further along they would get. I just loved the side of Tin that Can brought out, and seeing Can get so flustered with Tin as he tried to work out his emotions towards the other boy was so charming and well-done. And that last scene with Tin in the shower, wow. Surrounding circumstances notwithstanding, he really shone in that scene. It was so beautiful and so raw and probably the best-acted scene in the entire series, in my humble opinion.

There are two other BL couples to speak of, though they don't get nearly as much screen time. The first is Tum and Tar, step-brothers who harbor complicated feelings for one another and one of whom hides a dark secret. The second consists of Kenglka, a high school student crushing on his best friend's brother, Techno, a university student who is friends with Ae and Can. Though short, I feel that Tum and Tar are given sufficient screen time to tell a complete story and leave you with a bit of closure. But I was a bit disappointed that KlaNo's story got barely any development. The most significant thing that happened between them occurred in the last episode, and it felt more like the beginning of something that would have been explored further in Season 2. I did hear that P'New was going to make a spin-off for these two characters, though we'll see if that's still going to happen now. I hope that he does, as I'd love to see Mark and Gun breathe more life into these characters. Though they only had a few minutes together as a couple, Mark did so well in his role as Kengkla, and I'm curious to know how KlaNo's relationship develops.

Characters aside, in terms of story line, from what I've seen, P'New stuck pretty closely to the timeline and events in the books. Thus, although I got a little bored with Ae and Pete's story, preferring to see more development in the three side couples, I appreciate the director's faithfulness to the original text. This also helps explain why the other couples didn't get as much screen time, especially TumTar and KlaNo, as I don't think they played major roles in the book (with Tum and Tar playing bigger roles in other books from this universe). And, without revealing too much, this may also explain why one of the couples got a sad (read: heartbreaking) ending. I think the series just ended in the wrong place in the books.

***BEGIN SPOILER***
Speaking of that ending, because I have to get my thoughts down . . . . Sadly, Tin and Can do not get a happily ever after. At least, not in the series. This, coupled with the fact that Season 2 seems unlikely, is the source of disappointment for most people. One the one hand, I respect P'New's rationale that it makes the series more realistic: not everyone gets a happy ending. I can also see where Can's rejection was somewhat supported by his earlier actions. Tin was the more pushy one, and Can struggled with his feelings throughout the entire series. He was still struggling when Tin confessed to him, trying to figure out the difference between liking someone as a friend and liking someone as more than that. But on the other hand, Can also (perhaps subtly) seemed to be warming up to having Tin as a boyfriend, which I think gave a lot of viewers hope and made the ending even more surprising. We saw Can get jealous when he though Tin liked someone else, and we also saw Can ask for more kisses when hanging out with Tin earlier. Again, it may just be that Tin confessed too soon, before Can had a chance to work out his feelings, and because of that I can see how P'New would construe the confession scene, and its consequences, the way he did.
***END SPOILER***

Overall, this was a really solid start to what could have been a few great seasons, and I'm sad to see it end the way it did. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things will get resolved and we'll get a Season 2 or maybe a couple of spin-offs, but I thin right now P'New needs a break from the real-life drama. On the plus side, I heard he's cleaning up some unedited footage with plans to release it, so at least we'll get one final treat. I'm also now impatiently waiting for the English translation of the novel to be released to I can get that happy ending I'm told exists. :)

Our Skyy
Dec 21, 2018
STORY:
Overall cute, entertaining little one shots featuring some of our favorite GMM-TV guys. The writers give us drama without it getting too heavy or angsty. For the most part, each episode provides either a follow-up/conclusion to what we were given in each respective drama or a side story that takes place at some future time but still following canon. The only story that seemed a little off to me, and *only* when compared to the end of its main drama, was the one with In and Sun. Whereas at the end of Edge of 17, In and Sun had begun a tenuous yet happy relationship, here they seemed to have taken a couple of steps back, and we’re once again rooting for these two to have their happy ending. It’s still a good one shot and still feels authentic in terms of In and Sun’s characters. And, prior ending notwithstanding, it does feel consistent with In’s character (given what we saw throughout Edge of 17). But I think for that episode, you have to put aside the ending to Edge of 17 (or just imagine your own scenario that occurred afterwards that would lead up the events in Our Skyy).

That aside, in all of these episodes, we watch these boys experience thoughtful character development and gain a deeper sense of understanding and appreciation of their partners and relationship. I think it’s this growth that adds to a sense of closure and knowledge that everything will be okay.

ACTING/CAST:
These guys have already proven themselves to be more than capable of delivering great performances, and they brought that same energy and dynamic we’d expect them to bring based on their previous works. I have to really commend Off and Gun who, because of their plot line, had to emulate how the other would act in terms of facial and body language. Both pulled it off impeccably. Frank and Drake (Mork and Tee) were probably my favorite in terms of chemistry (so sweet and naturally affectionate), and Krist brought his signature adorableness as well.

MUSIC:
I love Fluke’s song that I think is only associated with Pick and Rome’s story (??). So catchy. Don’t really have any other standouts, but the music was still enjoyable.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
I don’t typically re-watch dramas unless they are especially compelling. For Our Skyy, I may go back and skim a few episodes when I’m short on something to watch.

OVERALL:
I really enjoyed revisiting these characters and falling in love with them all over again, and I’m sure fans of the original series will feel the same. If you’ve already watched those prequel dramas (which I do recommend doing before embarking on this) then I’m sure you’ll love this as well. Of course I’d recommend! :)

The Judgement

Really Strong Start, Then Drifted Into Melodramaland, But Overall A Message That Should Be Seen

STORY:
First of all, major props to the writers and director for portraying a form of rape that affects about 15-20% of women yet remains so misconstrued and misunderstood. And they didn’t just address it; they got it right: the sexism, the victim blaming, the perpetrator’s long-lasting refusal to take accountability for his actions, the university’s utter failure to protect its students in favor of saving face and appeasing those in power, and most of all—the judgment. It felt so spot on, and that was infuriating. I was glad, though, that the drama didn’t gloss over this issue, and stayed pretty true to it until the very end. This drama also takes on cyberbullying as a major theme, and I applaud it for spreading much needed awareness about these two very real issues.

However, as the drama wore on, it started to lose the strength that it possessed in the first several episodes as it dove deeper into a melodramatic mess. To begin, there are actually three rapes that occur in this show: the main one, which is a date rape, and two others that embody more traditional understandings of rape (i.e., violent stranger rapes). While I appreciated the juxtaposition of the two very different forms, at a point it just became too much. Certainly things like this happen in real life. But when you shove all of them together in just thirteen episodes (on top of other minor, yet cumulative, heavy topics), the show loses the sense of authenticity it once had and starts to feel a bit like a melodramatic, Degrassi-esque after school special. It felt as though the writers wanted to shove everything they could think of on this topic into the show, and it causes the subsequent events to lose their intended (and needed!) impact. I think with this type of story, less is definitely more, and The Judgement would have been much more powerful had it focused only on the first rape (and possibly the second). The story line with the third rape felt too rushed and didn’t add much to the story beyond shock value. I think it would have been better served in its own drama, to give it the depth and exploration it needed, especially since it concerned unique stigmas that the other two rapes didn’t have.

In addition, the story at times felt predictable, cliché. For example, I knew from the second episode who had leaked the photos and video. And, as mentioned above, there were a lot of little things that on their own weren’t necessarily over the top, but when added all together with everything else going on, it just became a bit superfluous. Again, less is more with this plot, and I wish the writers had toned it down to keep that authentic feel it held in the beginning.

As for the ending, parts of it felt realistic, other parts felt optimistic. But I will say that the very final scene imparted a sense of empowerment that I hope will serve as encouragement and guidance to those who may be in Lookkaew’s position.

ACTORS/CHARACTERS:
The main and supporting cast was fantastic and really played their parts well. I also thought that Lookkaew and Aud were very true to life; their actions seemed authentic to how people actually in those positions might act. Other characters, however, left me torn. On the one hand, many of them felt very stock-like, two dimensional, and stereotypical. As a result, their story lines felt predictable and manufactured. Their actions became expected and I wasn’t surprised by the things they did. That said, I think the strength of this drama lies in the message it sends and the awareness it brings rather than the depth or uniqueness of its characters.

OVERALL:
Parts of this drama were pretty heavy (well, one character's story line in particular) and I don’t think I’ll re-watch it for that reason. However, despite its flaws, I still thought it was a worthwhile watch (though I would not recommend this for a sad or otherwise emotionally heavy day). I’m really glad that light was shed on this issue, even if it was overshadowed at times by melodramatics, and hope to see more series treat serious issues like this in a realistic, non-romanticized way.

Prison Playbook
STORY:
Although I wouldn't hype it quite as much as other viewers on here, I still think this is a great drama that should definitely be on your watch list. Though the episodes are long, the journey is worth it, and I feel like the story gets better the further along you go.

I loved the different stories and backgrounds of the inmates and applaud it for showing that not everyone in prison is evil or incorrigible. I loved the variety of personalities among the corrections officers, from bureaucratic authoritarians to the ones who genuinely care about the success and rehabilitation of their wards. We see times where the justice system fails its citizens, and times where it redeems them. We get humor (there isn't a single episode where I didn't laugh out loud multiple time), sadness, and heartwarming moments. I also really liked that we weren't always told the whole story at one time; rather, the clever tricks our characters executed were revealed later in the episodes. Finally, I appreciated that not every character had a happy ending; some endings were sad, some were open, and overall it felt very true to the reality that is life in general and the penal system in particular.

I don't have too many complaints. One thing I could have done without was the story with the ex-girlfriend. I see where it fit into the drama, but for whatever reason I just could not get on board with the character. I didn't find her likable or empathetic, and the romance and chemistry felt very one-sided. Fortunately there weren't too many scenes with that story line, so it wasn't too obnoxious, but I was way more interested in what was going on in the prison and would have preferred staying there. The other "critique" I have is that I wish we got more backstory and exploration with Captain Yoo, his military comrades, and the victim in that crime, as I wanted to know more about the motivation behind what happened there.

ACTING/CAST:
The cast was fantastic. Everyone did so well in their roles. Park Hae Soo was such a good lead. His character was at times hilariously dumb and naive, like a child trapped in a grown man's body, but also so kind and caring to those close to him, possessing a solemn understanding of the more serious aspects of life when the time called for it. Another stand out for me (and I think a lot of people) was Lee Kyu Hung (aka Loony); he made me laugh and cry and was a great addition to the cell block.

MUSIC:
No complaints here. There's a good mix of hip-hop and ballads, and all worked really well in the show.

REWATCH VALUE:
I probably won't rewatch this, but I may be interested in a Season 2 if one comes out.

OVERALL:
Yes, watch this. If you find it a little slow in the beginning, just stick with it. Netflix did a really great job with this one.

My Bromance
Jan 15, 2019
Oh man, this movie hits you right in the feels! Such a sweet, touching story filled with moments that make you swoon and moments that make you cry. Our two Flukes performed really well in their roles. Their chemistry was so good! And their romantic moments made me melt. Although there were a few moments where the dialogue felt a bit stilted and awkward, where these two really shined for me was their adept ability to portray a variety of emotions. I yearned when they yearned, smiled when they smiled, and hurt when they hurt, and easily connected with both of them from the very start because of this. The story itself was engaging beautiful. Perhaps my only critique was that at times the pacing seemed a bit fast, and I felt like we had to just assume things without getting the benefit of more thorough plot and character development. That said, it's not a huge issue given that this is a movie limited by time constraints. The ending is definitely not HEA, but I wasn't terribly upset by it since I knew about the special episode and forthcoming sequel. Overall, beautiful but emotional film that I'd recommend checking out.

Make It Right 2: The Series
Dec 10, 2018
**Potential spoiler regarding one couple has been marked**

STORY:
- Honestly, Book and Frame were what saved this drama for me. I loved watching their relationship progress and loved how doting Frame was, supporting his boyfriend the best that he could as trouble from Book's past came to light. I wish this was the main story of Season 2, as I would have loved to see it fleshed out more, but I thought it was presented fairly well, though the "resolution" felt a bit glossed over. If it weren't for them, I don't know that I would have finished watching it (at the very least, I would have dragged it along).
- The main couple, Tee and Fuse, yeah, I got bored with them. Sure, they're sweet, and Tee is absolutely adorable and a saint for putting up with all of Fuse's crap. But my main problem with them was that a majority of Season 2 felt like a repeat of Season 1 in terms of their relationship. ***POTENTIAL SPOILER**** Fuse is still trying to figure things out with his girlfriend, while stringing Tee along like a side piece, decides to be just friends with Tee after his girlfriend tells him that her mystery man is just her brother, and then has the nerve to be upset when he sees (1) Tee being pursued by someone else, and (2) discovers that his girlfriend actually lied and has been cheating on him (like he was doing to her with Tee). ***END POTENTIAL SPOILER***. Overall, I just wasn't as into them, and quickly lost interest in their story line.
- The other couples were either boring or ridiculously stupid, but all of them could have been left out without ruining the drama. Of those couples, Mo and Yok received the most screen time, but they were obviously there for comedic effect, and their relationship felt fake and manufactured. As for the others, there just wasn't enough time devoted to their story lines, so they felt more like unnecessary filler which could have been put to better use developing Book and Frame.
- Couples aside, much like Season 1, if you can get past the cringe-worthy and questionable humor of the first 2 episodes, it's a decent series that showcases the tenderness and challenges of young love. I would say that the sweet moments were better written, as some of the drama and antagonistic characters felt forced and stereotypical.

ACTING/CAST:
So-so. Some actors were better than others. TeeFuse and BookFrame, as couples, had great chemistry together. The actors playing those characters, as well as the one who played Lukmo, were probably the stand-outs for me from this cast.

MUSIC:
Again, so-so. Nothing too memorable. Sometimes it seemed a little loud.

RE-WATCH VALUE:
If I were to re-watch anything, it'd be the scenes with Book and Frame.

OVERALL:
It's definitely one of the racier teen dramas out there (so props to them for going there), and some parts were just so stupid you had to laugh, but there were also plenty of sweet moments as well. It got a little tedious towards the later half of the season, and I was ready for it to end. I'd give it one thumb up and would probably recommend watching, but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

My Dear Loser Series: Edge of 17
Nov 28, 2018
STORY:
Wow! Honestly, I wasn't expecting too much going into the series but man am I impressed! Although the story revolves around some pretty well-worn tropes and stereotypes, the writers and actors executed it so well that the story felt exciting, fresh, and timeless. There's a healthy balance between lighthearted sweetness and painful anguish that comes with being a teenager and struggling on that road of self-discovery. The themes explored in this series --- bullying, falling in love, experiencing unrequited love, dealing with and discovering your sexuality --- are portrayed in such a genuine and realistic manner, and I think for that reason this drama can resonate with a lot of people..

ACTING/CAST:
I thought each actor did really well in their roles. Nanon, who plays our main character Oh, was just fantastic. He hit all of the emotions. He made me cringe at his dorkier moments, swoon at his sweet moments, and nearly cry at his sad moments. I don't have enough good words to say about his performance. The other actors were great as well, evoking appropriate feelings of anger, yearning, sympathy, heartache, and happiness.

OVERALL:
Great series. Definitely recommend.

Senior Secret Love: Puppy Honey 2
Nov 21, 2018
My feelings on Season 2 are very mixed.

On the one hand, I loved that Pick and Rome got a whole lot more screen time, and watching their relationship develop was my favorite part of the drama. Pick getting jealous over Rome's club mate was definitely a treat, and I died each time Pick got protective over his baby (omg the last episode!! You'll know when you see it). Rome's sweet, more mature demeanor is such a good contrast to Pick's hotheaded, slightly immature one. This was the OffGun dynamic that I waited for in Season 1, and boy did they deliver in Season 2. I do wish that this series focused solely on them, however, because I think a lot could have been explored further, especially the elements of the plot that really tested the boys' relationship.

On the other hand, I got so incredibly bored with Emma and Porsche's story line. The drama between them was so contrived and disingenuous. It was like the writers wanted to cause friction between them but couldn't come up with something plausible based on what we saw in Season 1 (probably because there really isn't a basis for this season's drama) so they just threw something together real quick. Basically, Porsche takes an internship in a remote area away from Emma. Emma decides very early on that Porsche isn't spending enough time with her and she can't handle that so she breaks up with him. Uhh, excuse me?? You want him to choose you over his education and career? You can't handle being physically away from him temporarily (can still call and text)? Clearly she must not have liked him very much since she was so quick to dump him and start flirting with (leading on?) a new guy (Krist, i.e., Arthit from SOTUS, who has more chemistry with his SOTUS co-start Singto than he does with Cherreen). Bottom line: Emma became a very unlikable, unsympathetic character in Season 2, too needy and whiny, which contrasted noticeably with how she was portrayed in Season 1 (though Cherreen, the actress who plays her, was still charming in the role so I didn't find Emma to be completely despicable). Now, I didn't really stan this couple as I'm more of a BL junkie, so my heart wasn't broken over the drama. But because it felt so insincere, I found it really hard to get invested in their story and difficult to pay attention during their scenes. I also didn't like the message this plot line seemed to send.

I also felt like the pacing wasn't as good this season as it was in Season 1. Although this season had two more episodes than its predecessor, by the time we reached the final episode, I couldn't believe it. The climax for both couples came so late in the game, with the result that everything felt rushed in the final episode.

Final thoughts: Pick and Rome were the standout characters for me and if I were to watch this again, it would only be for their parts. If you're a huge fan of them and want to see more of their relationship, I would definitely recommend watching their parts. I think you can safely skip the rest of the story line without losing anything at all. If you're watching the series only for Emma and Porsche, you'll probably want to skip this season and stick with what was given in Season 1.

Bangkok G Story
Nov 19, 2018
Bangkok G Story is a funny, sexy romp that's perfect if you're looking to escape the heaviness, angst, or cutesy fluff of other BL dramas. Each episode is short, around 10 minutes or so, and follows the crazy antics of G, B, T and (later) M as they pursue romance, pleasure, and happiness in fast-paced Bangkok.

STORY & PLOT: Not incredibly profound, but each episode was accompanied with a plot twist and made me laugh. I became invested in these characters and eager to know who would end up with whom. The story line is rather simple, with obstacles being resolved rather quickly and easily. Thus, the pacing can be a bit fast in some areas without much plot development. Still, I never lost interest and I looked forward to clicking on the next episode.

ACTING: Not the best I've ever seen (an abundance of awkward pauses comes and transitions come to mind), but certainly watchable. To be fair, I don't think any of the men who played the main characters are actors in real life; from their IGs, they look more like models or go go boys who (maybe?) cater to the gay community. But what they lack in acting skills they make up for in the smut department. The kissing and non-comedic sex scenes were hot and definitely satisfying. No fake kissing here. Plus, the guys are charming and likable (and very pleasing to look at). You root for them in each episode and hope that each gets his own happy ending.

Overall, I enjoyed this series and definitely recommend it if you're looking for something light and funny, with very steamy bed scenes to boot.