Beautiful Vampire

chalbarczyk
Nov 24, 2018
It would seem that it is a classic romantic comedy, but the subtle details make it an indie movie, well, an indie vampire movie.

A plot is very simple: the vampire girl Ran (played by Jung Yeon Joo) met the boy (played by Song Kang), the boy’s scent wakes up Ran's thirst for blood, which she has suppressed for 500 years. Will she be able to love him? Will he fill her loneliness?

The movie is very minimalistic, only a few characters appear on the screen, nevertheless in this simple framework the director managed to present the subtlety of the emotional life of Ran, ridiculous greed of landlord, sweet romance and kiss, old friendship of vampire and butcher, and sophisticated humor which makes me laugh.

Cinematography is excellent! Colours, lights and music are so beautiful!

It’s unique, sensitive, easy and naive. I loved it! I give 10/10 although someone may find the movie odd. I think I didn’t watch anything like that, and there’s a satisfying and amusing point to this story: the vampire lived for 500 years but still she doesn’t know everything.

H Y U K I D A
Dec 26, 2018
Don't expect much, I admit this is not for all people. Heard a lot of bad reviews from the comments, saying it's boring and a waste of time. Others found it disappointing. The first 10 minutes was odd to be honest, because I expected a serious vampire gore movie (kissasian even had the melodrama tag on it). But as the film went on, I actually became interested in the main characters (esp. So Nyeon) because they were funny.

Plot: 6.5/10
It's more like a parody rather a serious one (as we all thought). This movie gave an indie feel and I liked the calendar shots which signifies a new chapter. I loved the story between Ran and So Nyeon. The story was funny in it's own way. The overall plot is light and sweet. I think people would actually like this if it was written better. The ending was loose and plot-holes everywhere, they didn't even bother explaining Jin Yi's character and suddenly she appears in the end without context. But humor-wise, this got me.

There is this one scene that really caught my eye (around 50 min mark). I think it was what made me love the movie. IT REALLY MADE MY HEART MELT together with the bgm that was playing.

Cast: 9.5/10
To the people saying their acting was bad: I THINK IT WAS INTENTIONAL. This movie only had 4-5 actors in it but it's more than enough. I'd watch this even if it only had Jung Yeon Joo and Song Kang in it. Ran was quite naive despite being in the world for 500 years. So Nyeon was extremely funny and playful. The way he mixes up his English and Korean lmao. Song Kang gives me Yook Sung Jae/ Rowoon(SF9) feels. I think I'm attached?? Both MCs were cute, I LOVE BOTH OF THEM.

Music: 10/10
THE OST IS RIDICULOUSLY CUTE. And there is this scene I mentioned above ^^ (watch and you'll know) which was pleasing and the bgm gave it a different mood.

Rewatch Value: 10/10
I watched this 3 more times after watching it the first time. This is good for some light watching. It's an easy watch and I like this kind of indie comedy, just my style. Or maybe I keep watching because of Song Kang?

Overall: 9/10

Jan 17, 2019
A vampire's thirst for blood is aroused after 500 years! Light hearted and funny. It takes the theme of vampires and makes fun of it in an artistic way. He uses tongue in cheek humor. This movie is not a serious vampire movie for those looking for a hardcore movie similar to the Vampire Prosecutor or Vampire Detective. So why complaining about a fun movie is not a serious drama? I wanted it to be longer. Despite its appealing cocktail of quirky conventions and genre, Beautiful Vampire never goes beyond its modest ambitions as a lightweight combination of popular genre conventions and dramatic drama. Even a splendid 72 minutes, it does not take too long for the less demanding story and the simplistic characters to fall into repetitive patterns. A little more narrative ambition would have been a welcome addition to Jung's creative vision. Maybe next time.

Feb 15, 2019
A short movie about a vmapire and a mortal, this one had an interesting concept at least. Though it didn't have much time to progress, the romance seemed to have potential. However, it was rushed. The story overall was fast paced, as they tried to pack too many elements in one plot. The atmosphere, however, was nicely presented and the performances were good from every actor and actress and, especially, from the leading lady, who was adorable overall and her acting was just what this character needed, as she could have easily went overboard. So, my final rating is four out of ten.