Leanna lives on a small island with her sister Rita, managing a small hotel for fishermen. One day, a ship named Aurora capsized in the sea in front of their hotel and families of the missing people gather in the hotel while waiting for coast guards to search for the missing bodies of the passengers. Coast guards inform the families that they are ceasing the search and that most of the bodies were found. Adamant on finding the remains of their loved ones, the families offer Leanna a reward for each missing body she finds. Soon after, she set out on a search for the missing bodies.
~~Inspired by the 1987 tragedy of MV Doña Paz. Add Synopsis In Portuguese
Cast & Credits
My Twitter friends said that it was hyped up in the Philippines but it was commonly held as a bit of a flop within the horror genre.
Now, Aurora is made and is meant to be a horror film. I went into it expecting to be a little spooked, not to a high degree because of the reviews I had heard said it was pretty bad. The few CGI effects to give this the horror theme completely tanked for me, and I won't lie - the horror is pretty bad. It doesn't hold its own as a horror film in any form.
However, the acting in this, the story behind it are intriguing. It kept me hooked in, it kept me rooted in my seat in pure curiosity. This is definitely a much more sad thriller than a horror film. I finished this feeling devastated, with tears in my eyes after the credits began to roll. The acting in this made this utterly amazing, the cast truly brought the feelings in this to life. It felt like this was currently happening in Asia, watching these families go through their loss and watching Leanna and her younger sister was going through hell.
The music in this was as well amazing, it fits the film perfectly; there wasn't a single score in this that didn't help my emotions lift or drop alongside the story.
I think the best way to go into this film is to not expect a good horror film. Expect a sad, chilling thriller that is similar to many real-life occurrences around the world. Not as good as it could have been as a horror film, but definitely give this a try if you like sad films.
1. Good acting skills especially the lead actress. The tears during the first few minutes of the film is not a joke. You can clearly see the tears forming in her eyes and then flowing downwards on her cheeks. Never doubted her skills here. Credit to Ann Curtis.
2. The basic plot of the film is good which was not shown in the trailer which is another good point.
3. The mystery factor which I guess the reason why, according to some reviews, many were convinced to watch the film. You can't say what the while story all about by just it's title and not even after watching it's movie trailer.
4. The location was beautiful. I guess it was filmed in Batanes because of the stone formations. And I definitely saw a vakul which is a traditional head dress or head protector something from Batanes.
5. The quality of the film was great as well or maybe the cinema where I watched the film just added a good factor on it? Hehehe we watched it on a VIP Theater that is why plus the air-conditioning was so cold, super cold.
6. Nice try on the editing and the special effects. :-)
7. The music was very suitable for the film. Nice choice of music.
NOT SO GOOD POINTS
1. I guess, the Philippine movie industry is not that yet ready for this big and grandiose production. Nice try with the effects and editing but we are still far behind if compared to some of our neighboring countries. But then again, as they say, big strides started from a small single step, maybe somebody we will reach that professional level. :-)
2. As what I've said the base story was great, about the remains of those who died in a shipwreck but the climax part was kind of unorganized or disorganized? Something like that. The part where I don't really understand what's going on already.
3. This film is not actually the best but its worth watching for.
PS. Since I haven't watched the trailer before watching the film so I don't have any ideas if it was a horror film or a thriller kind of film right before watching the movie but even after watching the film I still can't say if it's a horror film or a thrilling film. Maybe both. :-)
You Will / Find Your / Way Home