Hanzawa Naoki (2013) poster

boutux
Oct 14, 2013
This drama is outstanding. I initially did not intend to watch this drama after reading the synopsis. Mostly because of my experience working in 3 different banks. I figured this would be nothing new and bank work is the most boring thing ever so i couldn't imagine how this drama could be good. Then one Saturday when I had nothing to do I gave this drama a shot and I was proven wrong on all my preconceived notions.

The world of banking portrayed in this drama is one of deception and treachery. Bankers don't care about their customers or even the integrity of the their banking institutions; they seek only to improve their positions by manipulation and betrayal. The senior banking officers make bad decisions and their underlings have to clean up the mess or risk demotion or even worse relocation.

In walks Hanzawa Naoki. A brilliant banker who cares about his customers, his bank and his friends. He is thrown under the bus by his boss and must clean up the mess or get transferred. There are so many hurdles in his way but Hanzawa is a fighter. His catch phrase, "If you screw me, I'll screw back. Double payback!" It was exciting to see him get fired up in these situations.

The story was a bit predictable but it was so well told that I don't mind that at all. The acting was astounding with the exception of the guy who played the inspector from the tax bureau (gross over actor) and the only thing about the drama that i didn't like really. Sakai-san was in one word SUPERB; the best actor overall in the cast. I wish we got more of Ueno Aya but what we got from her was great. She played the role of the strong dedicated wife well.

I live in Japan and people can't seem to stop talking about this drama. It is one of, if not the best drama for 2013. It is a must watch for jdrama fans. And with Hanzawa's tenacity, the fan love and the way this drama ended I fully anticipate a season 2. Hopefully we will get it next summer.

superpasta
Oct 26, 2013
the story of this drama was in two parts. both parts were thrilling with a similar vibe to them yet the second part had more impact. when i heard that the drama was about banks i thought it was going to be some boring thing but no no no this drama had me on the edge for every episode. the sotry, the twists and turns, all the characters in it. the sweet moments between the main couple.

the acting was superb. honestly this drama is an acting powerhouse. sakai masato, kitaonji kinya, kagawa teruyuki, oikawa mitsuhiro was even splendid in this and of course takito's acting. you could even see the growth in some of the characters it was obvious in the acting.

the music is just how it should be. it escalates the feelings however it doesn't make you pay attention to it which is a good thing. drama music should not make you pay attention to it more than you would pay attention to the drama itself.

lastly, i don't think that i would rewatch this drama anytime soon. mainly the high thing about this drama was the suspence. you can't enjoy a suspence drama when you rewatch it definitely not as much as the first time but this drama would definitely have it's good points to rewatching.

Cheer
Sep 27, 2013
“I believe in people’s good will, but if they screw me, I will screw them back. It's double payback” _ (Hanzawa Naoki).

Hanzawa Naoki is the kind of dramas that bumps of the crowd to keep you at the edge of your seat through its astonishing screenwriting, gripping events and high-class acting. This drama didn’t get the highest rating in modern times for naught. It was well worth it from any angle you look at it. You may be wondering: what’s so special about this drama that made people go crazy over it in Japan while the international audience couldn’t care less about it? To find out the answer I had to start this adventure and jump into a world I am not very familiar with: The world of business, bankers and salary men.

Hanzawa Naoki deals with the world of banks which is a non-famous theme for Asian dramas. The story brings the harsh facts about that world to light while focusing on the intense fights that the male lead has to go through in order to survive in that field without abandoning his ideals. What this drama outshines at is the stunning screenwriting and the solid characterization; the storyline was so involving with many twists and turns that will make you eager for more. The smart writing managed to make the events flow by in a thrilling and gripping way without being heavily present or irrationally exaggerated. In terms of directing, I would say that this drama’s business theme was perfectly expressed whether though the well-made cinematography or the nicely chosen shooting angles.

The acting department in this drama was superb; every actor pulled his role in a great way. Extra credits to one of the most phenomenal actors in Japan: Sakai Masato. That man’s acting skills are no joke; he can pull off his roles in a brilliant way and his Hanzawa Naoki’s portrayal is the best proof; he’s a genius actor indeed. And since we’re talking about acting skills, I have to mention the second best actor in this drama: Kagawa Teruyuki who was super amazing as Owada.

Speaking about characters, Hanzawa Naoki owned the show and no one succeeded in stealing the spotlight from him. He’s an overwhelming smart character that will make you absorbed in his intelligent choices and actions. He counts every situation he comes across and he’s always one step ahead of his opponents. Whenever Hanzawa puts the fierce look on his face and starts the “Payback”, get ready to be blown away by his unique way of flipping tables around. As for other characters, each and every one of them was important for the storyline’s development and the characters’ interactions that were beautifully accomplished.

Taken as a whole, I am fully aware why would everyone avoid this type of drama; it has a non-enjoyable theme for most people, no romantic plot and no idol stars as main actors, that’s why I am pretty sure it’s not directed for everyone. However, that doesn’t deny the fact that this is one the best made dramas out there even if it doesn’t get the appropriate attention.

PickyMcpickleton
Apr 12, 2014
Hanzawa Naoki marks my somewhat introduction into Japanese dramas. To be honest, I rarely ever watch Japanese dramas. As I mentioned to a dramalist friend, even though they are better written than K-dramas and feature genres that I like, I still can't quite watch J-dramas consistently. The retro pacing makes it hard to instantly fall in love with a J-drama and if I'm not in the mood to invest myself in a plot, it means I gloss over master pieces like olive oil.

Now, Hanzawa Naoki though is the best written thing (closely tied with Legal High) that I have watched in a while. I think it's my irritation with K-dramas that led me slap bang into this masterpiece and boy was this a thrilling journey.

This is the tale of Hanzawa. A banker embroiled in banking politics (really). The story is told in two parts with Hanzawa constantly in difficult situations. He must outsmart, outplay and outlast. Indeed, I do hate to steal the survivor logo but that is what his life entails.

It is a well written tale full of engaging characters and it's been a long time since I have liked both the protagonist and antagonist (Normally, I like the antagonist). I really liked the antagonist (Owada) in the second part. He happens to be smart, flawed yet quite charming. Kagawa Teruyuki who played his role also did a phenomenal job. The climax of this story gave me chills. CHILLS I tell you. It was powerful, raw, well acted brilliantness that actually stunned me to silence.

However, despite the well written moments, there are feel good moments that are not for the cynic. I happen to be one of those cynics and the feel good moments induced some mega cringing. The declarations of friendship and super hero-esque moments weren't for me. Although, for the most part, the drama manages to create an anti-hero vibe especially in regards to Hanzawa's character. He is merciless in exacting revenge which is exactly my cup of tea. I like them devilish and certain.

I'm all over the place with this review but I get tongue tied sometimes trying to describe stories like this. There's so much to tell yet it's difficult to focus on one thing. Overall, a strong recommendation with minimal flaws.

mysecretsoul
Sep 27, 2013
Based on a pair of popular novels from award-winning author Jun Ikeido (notably a former bank employee himself), Hanzawa Naoki has enjoyed monumental success. Ratings opened through the roof in Japan and, continuing to rise every week, eventually stood at a dazzling 42% on the finale. Even more impressive is how the Japanese have embraced this drama and its titular character, almost to the point of pop culture status. When people start naming limited edition breads after something, you know it has to be special.

Hanzawa Naoki treads the waters of Japanese financial culture, following a brilliant man who dove in after experiencing its volatility firsthand. The main body of the tale begins once this man, Hanzawa, has established himself at the management level of a certain bank. We follow him through two intense loan crises, each taking five of the total ten episodes. While the first, occurring in Osaka, is truly excellent, this drama shines most brightly in the second (Tokyo). Everything feels tighter, more intense, and more character development occurs; the first half is merely beautiful set-up in comparison. If you feel daunted by business talk, don't worry. With a clear narrative careful to explain everything, Hanzawa Naoki is very accessible. Long story short, this is an intense and unpredictable drama -- sure to get hearts pounding and fists pumping. Bring on a sequel, I say!

Sakai Masato, one of the finest actors currently working in Japan, is the real draw here. As Hanzawa himself, Sakai-san oozes nuance and dynamic characterization. How hard it must be to portray this samurai-like banker, full of ferocity and compassion at once! But he makes it look easy, with his sharp and seemingly effortless performance. Even his delivery of the now-famous catchphrase: "If you screw me, I'll screw you back. It's double the payback!" induces goosebumps.

Of the supporting cast, Takito Kenichi (troubled Kondo) and Oikawa Mitsuhiro (cheerful Tomari), are memorable as Hanzawa's old compatriots. Their chemistry with Sakai-san is really wonderful, especially during the Tokyo arc. Some intense kendo practices occur between Hanzawa and Kondo, making for telling character interaction. Also featured, veteran Kagawa Teruyuki rounds out the talent as deliciously two-faced Owada.

Sweeping, dramatic instrumentals fill every scene. They are of a cinematic quality, perfectly placed, and unique. Without realizing it, I recently found myself humming the theme song while doing laundry. Though there are no traditional vocal pieces, you won't even notice.

KimiChan
Dec 3, 2014
At first I read the synopsis and I’m not even made it my plan to watch.
Why did I watch it? Because after I watched Legal High, I began to like Masato Sakai, so I try it. And after one episode, I just love it.
Why do I love it? Because when I watched it I can’t skip it (I usually skip the part I don’t like), and I can’t skip it cause it’s too good to be skip. (The script writer must be a genius)
The story is kind a serious one, it’s about Hanzawa Naoki, an employee of a bank. He is a good brilliant employee but when someone wants to shift blame to him. He simply cannot forgive everybody that involve in it. And the brilliant story begins.
The cast is just amazing!!! And Masato Sakai is maybe born to be an actor, he just awesome.
And what’s the best is the story. You’ll really love Hanzawa Naoki although he’s a serious character, and his wife is funny, so the characters are well written.
If you want a well made Japanese drama, bored with romantic comedy and want something worth your time THAN you must watch Hanzawa Naoki.
And you’ll not be disappointed.