Like Father, Like Son (2013) poster

locurabella
Jul 15, 2014
I couldn't stop thinking about this movie after I finished it. I thought through and after the movie what I would have done. And initially what can you do when comforted with this situation: the child you have raised fro six years, isn't biologically yours...such an eye-opening and overall all thought-provoking film.

The cast from the children to the adults was amazing. The pace was slightly slow but it's forgiving because at the end, I wish the movie was longer. I wanted to see more.

My problem with this movie is that I wish they would have done it though all point of views rather than from the job-orientated father. I wanted to know how the other father felt; I wanted to know how his biological child felt; both mothers; the other children; and etc--not just pieces.

I wish the director could come out with a box series of their point of view but ultimately I know why he chose to portray the movie through the job-oriented dad: family is first and in the aspect that blood isn't always family.

Powerful film. Great performance from the cast. Again, left me wanting more.

realdeal
Jul 18, 2014
Aside from amnesia, the story of mistaken exchange babies is perhaps one of the most used in drama history especially HERE WHERE I LIVE (PHILIPPINES). So it is mind-boggling how the director makes it FRESH if this was done by some Filipino director there will be lots of crying families cursing each other children became delinquent etc. etc.

The movie is slow, but it is so realistic that you feel you're not watching a movie. I love how the family handles the situation and how the parents realize about themselves when they exchange the child.

IF you don't like a slow artsy movie then it's not for you.
IF you want something different then it's for you.
IF you want to relax and stop thinking about your daily work then it's for you

I don't cry in this movie..this is NOT a tearjerker movie...but the effect will last long.

The scene when a father was holding a camera and browsing at the pictures taken by his 6 yr old former son is what HITS me.

[ koreeda style is this......he will make you walk calmly slowly THEN a f*cking truck
came and hit you in the end, the damage will stay with you for months ].

Check my Blog for other reviews & other JDramas stuffs. (。◕‿‿◕。)

Jianne
Jul 22, 2016
When it comes to storytelling and themes, Hirokazu Koreeda is my favorite; the little details and the feels. Arguably, Koreeda is also one of the most consistent directors out there. Like Father, Like Son is no exception as it bears Koreeda trademarks: familial themes, little details, young cast with incredible acting, framing and music, among others.

Like Father, Like Son is bittersweet tale that is jarred with the power and emotional bond of family. It takes into question: what makes a family? Is it blood or is it the bond? Is blood truly thicker than water? Swapped children is nothing new, it's a trope. But what Koreeda does is look into this issue in detail, explore it, strip its characters bare and allows the viewer to experience (and question) the responsibilities, the decisions and the identities made/done in the film.

It is a dramatic film but not one that drowns you in useless melodrama, not one that forces you to cry and not one that feeds you with cheesy lines as family. But instead, there is rawness, there is delicate emotions portrayed and more importantly, there is realness.

Again, Koreeda channels extraordinary young talents with the two boys -- Keita and Ryusei. Not only does the contrast between the two complement their differences but it also intensifies the differences of the two families. How will a carefree boy adapt to an independent, almost traditional life? How will an independent boy adapt to a non-traditional, carefree life? How will a work-oriented father bond with his energetic, non-traditional son? How will a fun-oriented father bond with his traditional, almost serious son?

These challenges show that the people who struggle in these circumstances are not adults alone, but also the children. Keita (his real life name) portrays Keita's cuteness with invisible strength and innocence. Shogen Hwang portrayed Ryusei's energy with utmost maturity and curiosity.

Masaharu Fukuyama portrays Ryota with a distant facade that eventually tears down while Jun Kunimura balances it out with her calm and honest personality. On the other side, Lily Franky portrayed the film's comic relief that wields undeniable wisdom of fatherhood to match Ryota's and is further complemented by Yoko Maki's gentleness and cheerfulness. Each and everyone of these actors portrayed their characters with unmatched performance.

It won Jury Prize in Cannes for a reason. And it has caught the eye of Spielberg for a reason.

Amazing cinematography with attention to details (e.g. Keita's hand made rose) that plays itself as something symbolic or important in the film. Not to mention the music pacing with the frames, such beautiful piano to listen to. And finally, the contrast of the close up from the adults' POV to the children and the long shots of the children's POV to the adults. These decisions, as a whole, make Koreeda truly a talented film maker.

Tsuba
May 23, 2014
I saw it in theater some time ago. However, I still remember the story in slightest details.
This movie was poignant, sad, but also funny, touching at the same time and very well shooted.

The acting are perfect in their genre, and the confrontation between both families is very well realized.
The idea of opposing two completly different families is very interesting.

Finally, the story ends well regarding to the various problems happening during the movie.
Negative point however, as any good Japanese movie it is a little slow sometimes.

In every case I recommend this movie to every person who wants to spend a sad moment but at the same time touching. Perfect for a Saturday evening with a cup of tea and a blanket.

nfabjoy
Jun 27, 2019

Utterly thought provoking and will haveyou thinking long after the credits roll

My headline really is my review, I kept playing out the scenario in my head and wondering what I would have done in that situation. I’m still not resolved but I know one thing for sure and that is : I utterly loved this movie and I’m super glad to learn from MDL that it won the Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

The story is poignant , touching and evocative. Everything I love in a movie. I’m super into Cannes Film Festival a la Palm D’Or story lines and this movie provided pathos and more. It has a melo pace with tense quiet moments that brilliantly tell the story . I also loved how economical it was . The script was not convuluted and character portraits were just . This movie is very measured and this can be seen by how the characters are not too much of anything and the story just plays out.

So what makes a family ? Is it blood or is it bond?

It’s a definite watch .

May 11, 2017
Very interesting story, is equivalent to the drama "Mother" of 2010.

The story is about two Japanese families who received their children exchanged at birth but were only discovered 6 years later.

The big dilemma facing both families is whether they change their children or not. The main strength of this film is the unique story and intricacies that comes with this theme. From the beginning, when both families meet many tentions occur due to the differences and personalities of the characters. The performances with regard to acting are first, harmonized in a convincing scenario among these families "Like Father, Like Son" was good, fun and deep family histories with underlying conflicts.

A masterful combination of humor and sadness. This movie will make you laugh and feel. Highlight for Koreeda, always bringing the kids on the scene, as being one of their reasons for their films to be appreciated by everyone, indifferent, "Like Father, Like Son" is full of charisma and innocence pulling us through an emotional journey from the beginning To the end. Highly recommended!