• Last Online: 57 minutes ago

realdeal

philippines
The Bride of Rip Van Winkle
Sep 22, 2016
One of the most important contemporary directors of today, Shunji Iwai gives us a suspenseful emotional ride in his latest film "A Bride for Rip Van Winkle". It reminds me a lot of "All about Lily Chou Chou"(also directed by Iwai) on how it uses the internet as the main element in the movie, how it affects characters minds and their relationship, simple chatting before social media now. This movie will make you realize how social media affects our society, how most of us make it our safe haven and sometimes create a fake identity and how that fake identity would factor in constructing our own, not giving much of a story away, the theme would be so obvious if you compare the 2 relationships of our main character had here, one living with lies and the other ironically real. Having said that, the theme in this movie was so strong and possibly the first time that was explored to this extent and just like Iwai said "I would like to show how we take to living in this world that our ancestor left us", so thought provoking indeed.

With 3 hours long this is perhaps the second longest Japanese movie I've ever seen next to Love Exposure and that is mainly because most climactic scenes were all shown in slow motion, it seems the director reiterates the point of what we should feel, some may be bother by it but I'm not as I see the reason for it, scenes before those slow-mos were so subtle so it's like a storm after a calm sea. Another reason is the criticism he is known for which is his film has a tendency to drag and some scenes were like that especially scenes that has metaphor in it or with meaningful dialogues, if you're like me who is into that then this will make the movie more engaging to you.

The film is basically a character study of a Nanami(Haru Kuroki), a part time teacher who is like a shadow, she has no personality, the film lets us follow her as how her character develops throughout the story, with Iwai's directing and Haru Kuroki's acting this film is an immersive experience. You can separate the movie into 3 parts the classic fall, perserverance, and finding happiness. The first act started when Nanami meets this guy on social media then without much thinking she eventually marries him, but the problem is she didn't have the ideal family, her parents were divorced and seems like their relatives broke the ties between them. Then she decided to hire Amuro(Gou ayano), a guy she met on social media, a jack of all trade ala Gintama, it is Amuro who provide fake relatives to her wedding. The end of the first act is strong as Nanami is humiliated and defeated and that first act sets up to a more interesting second and even third act. When I said suspenseful emotional ride I mean it as plot twist after plot twist, lies after lies got revealed but the biggest mystery is the title itself "A Bride for Riple Winke", what is relevance of that title in the story? Who is Riple Winkle? Well the way the movie reveals it is so clever, it's a work of a mad genius and definitely I didn't see that coming at all. Just like most of Iwai's films this film features misfits characters, those cut from society, this movie will depict their engaging journey and how will those character find love and happiness. Although with that engaging premise and roller coaster of emotions I had, still one important question in the movie remains a mystery although I'm sure that that was intended, I experienced that in All About Lily Chou Chou and I experienced it again here, I just don't know what to feel, I just thought of giving you a heads up cause that might annoyed you as well.

Great Cinematography to me is not just beautiful but also meaningful, it's just like in painting great painting should fascinate you, it should make you look closer to examine the details and not just stare at one and says "this painting is beautiful", you could have all the colors on your palette but if it's dull it's dull. Movies by Iwai are the best example for this they have the best cinematography I've ever seen that makes the movie so immersive and this movie is not an exception, his emphasis for lighting was really obvious here, it is stunning, extracting the natural colors in a scene, a perfectionist he truly is. Music really adds up to the emotion in those melodramatic scenes, particularly is that one scene with Nanami after the first act, the Visuals, the Slow-mo, the Music, the acting, it is perfect, I literally pause the movie and gather myself, stupid smile left on my face, instant goosebumps.

Iwai really loves using subtle actors in his films and the reason for that is because that kind of acting is most suited for his style of filming, before he had Aoi Yu and this time Haru Kuroki. Haru reminds me of Aoi Yu a lot they can even switch roles here and the strength of the character will remain the same, of course I'm not saying Aoi Yu is better, they are equally talented and Haru might even have some edge in drama and definitely in comedy. About haru's performance, I am one hundred percent convinced that this was her best performance I've seen from her and mind you I've seen a lot where she is considered great namely "emperor's cook" "juhan shutai" "little house" "solomon's perjury". The character she played here is so complex that one wrong move would make that character annoying, one wrong casting and the movie would be ruined, hard to explain it without laying spoilers, only you would realize what I meant when you watched it. There is one character I can't reveal here because of spoilers and it's a shame because I was equally impressed with her with haru and her name is not even included here on MDL. The character is crippled yet strong; she's like a playful spirited fairy and those eyes omg. The chemistry between them was magnetic, a total contrast to each other yet they share similarities, they want happiness. Gou Ayano although not as good as those two, it is his charisma that makes the character more mysterious and that is really important as that character is somewhat the one who drives the story. I have this theory about him that I will post on the comment section if you want, just click the spoiler button.

Movies like this makes me realize why I was fascinated, why I admire Japanese cinema so much, it is just that there is no other country that can offer me a story like this. Movie like this make me realize what kind of taste I have for movies, why I crave for original plot with clever twist, why I love thought provoking themes as those makes the movie to me an immersive experience. With that said, even with some draggy scenes or things remains unanswered I just couldn't give this lower than 9. Not a masterpiece but a must watch.

Wood Job! The Easy Life in Kamusari
Dec 20, 2014
I just come from work and I'm so tired then I decide to watch this movie. DAMN this movie made me relax I expect this to be another slow movie that can make me sleepy I even plan to eat while watching this movie but when the movie goes on I just can't get my eyes off the screen. I really didn't expect this to become a masterpiece..that masterful cinematography, that suiting guitar music, the well-acted characters that felt real it is one of the best IF not the best coming of age drama I watched.

I often tell this to my friend "if you want to learn more about Japanese culture don't watch anime watch Japanese movie instead" this film is like that..you will witness how Japanese do this job(cutting trees) at the same time respect the forest, respect the forest god. The last part of the movie is also a holy motha fucka moment, comedy + epicness COMBINED.

I watch it for sometani tho the film's strength is the story and not the acting I can say that this film is one of sometani best performance a classic masterful film and definitely his best film to date(yes IMO better than himizu), and sometani proves he can do comedy too his timing is great. Ito hideaki, the last movie I watch from him was lesson of evil his acting their is top notch but I was more impressed with his performance here one of the most badass performance I've seen and it's not even an action or a yakuza or samurai movie. Ito hideaki proves to me he is really a top actor in japan his character in lesson of evil and in this where very very very very different but both are one of the best I've seen. The chemistry between sometani and hideaki was really brilliant they are the total opposite..one who looks so baddass dirty and the other who looks like a girl and totally weak, but you will enjoy watching sometani's character development. Nagasawa masami she recently improving by taking more serious roles like in wakamotachi and here. I hope other jactress will follow the same path.

Overall a great relaxing coming of age movie...relaxing to eyes visually and relaxing to ears with its music. A great movie if you want to learn more about japan....If you movies like waterboys, departures and great passage impress you this movie is like that.

Your Lie in April
Dec 13, 2016
So I finally got the time to watch this movie, which they show in cinemas in our country for good of one week, and I watched it on its last day so I barely made it LOL. I haven't seen the anime so I can't compare, I don't know how faithful adaptation it is but I really like what I've seen. I don't feel that the pacing is rushed so it didn't end up confusing and each scenes are so vital to the story like If you remove one the story will be affected so in that sense the movie didn't became draggy. But sadly I felt that the story was told in a simplistic way like there are not enough tensions and characters are a bit one dimensional that made me hard to care for them sometimes.

Before watching I already knew the this would be a sad story but at the same time I am confident that I would not cry, I am kind of immune to that since I've seen a lot of sad movies, and I am right, I didn't cry, but that doesn't mean the story is NOT sad cause it is, but I felt that that they made the ending bitter sweet because based on how people describe the anime it would have been a cry fest.

Now for the thing that I really like, the theme in the movie, I love how the movie conveys their connection thru music, I felt that it is so romantic like it is their love letter for each other, and just like the phrase they say to each other "will it reach you?". With that theme conveyed so well only made their performances so much better, technically they are already brilliant but with so much emotions attached to the performance made that scene EPIC.

Cinematography is beautiful, it is one of those colorful Japanese movies, seems to be the trend nowadays. Music is given to be excellent but what I am surprised is how well they play the instruments, one movie come to mind that could rival this in terms of the skills of playing the instruments in a movie and that is Jay Chou's "Secret". I like the ending song as well, I don't understand japanese but its melody captures the ambiance of the movie.

Great acting from both Kento and Suzu, you can tell that they come a long way especially Suzu but now I can say they are capable of portraying complicated characters. It is reported that they went intense training playing violin and piano for their respective roles and it paid off well as their performance is believable, which is important to be called a good adaptation and they nailed it in this department. Side characters are the issue here like I didn't feel them, probably lack of screen time I guess, such a shame though because I really want to see more of Anna Ishii, I felt that her talent was wasted in her role.

I feel that many guys will love this film like imagine one day you saw a beautiful girl under a cherry tree then from that moment your life change, happens to me (not under the cherry tree though).

Kaori: Did I find a place in your heart?

Arima: You step all over it.

-literally me

Tenno no Ryoriban
Aug 21, 2015
DOYA-JAA!!!! drama of the year for sure...

My opinion on sato takeru change from a so so actor to good capable actor and this was his best performance I must say and he deserves the best actor role on this. IF he continue do performance like this then he might join the ranks of those top class japanese actors. Haru kuroki is one of the best young japanese dramatic actress today and perhaps she is the best. Her acting here is like silent-but-deadly and she never overact and thats the best thing i notice on her.

The story is very engaging definitely one of the most inspiring drama's I saw and i love how they dramatize tokuzo akiyama who is a real person, his antics, his movements...I love it. I also like the way they manage those time skips it didnt feel rushed. The acting here was phenomenal even the foreign actors did well specially that french girl and I wanted to know what happen to her after. This wont become that much inspiring if not of this drama's music....they inserts right music at the right moment. I notice this in every episodes they will build up you emotion, just as you thought that was it but there still a final kicker at the end then BAM.

I didnt cry while watching this but i do feel like I wanna work more harder after. Watch it you wont regret it.

Little Forest: Summer & Autumn
Apr 27, 2015
If I'm not familiar with Japanese cinema or with the actors I would think that this slice of life/cooking show film was an experimental film thesis done in college. I'm not saying it suck in fact I love it...I love the originality.

Some people would not consider this a film because of lack of plot until the main character narrates a bit of her story alongside on how she would prepare each dish. Its only near the end of the movie or after 10+ dish we learn that there's a problem between the main character and her mom then her mom leaves without saying a word. This story is 4 parts(4 seasons) and 2 movies worth but we might need to see 2 movies to get their conflict resolved. I think that the director wants to show the human factor in this movie that human needs to adapt in order to survive...I think that's the main point here so I wouldn't mind if it has no plot.

Its a nice watch even if you don't consider this a movie, it's so relaxing it was like a yoga but using your eyes. That fantastic cinematography and soothing music and that camera work make such a scene epic like that bicycle scene which is my favorite. The huge part of the dialogue is the narration it's a nice technique to make you live the life of the main character, you will experiences what it feels to live alone in a house surrounded by fields, mountains, trees and stream and how the changes in season affects her way of living. The main appeal of this movie is the cooking as she gathers each ingredient every season, I don't know how to cook but you might get some technique if you watch this, I love the music they used in each cooking scene btw.

I'm am not wow-ed by the acting but its natural and convincing. The character of ai hashimoto here is different from her usual roles so it's nice to see a different part of her. Its a must watch to ai hasimoto fans..its a ai hashimoto movie and you realize how pretty that girl is without makeup the camera really love her face her screen presence is here best asset. Lastly one of the reasons why I love this movie is the song, I'm a huge YUI fan and her new band sing the song in this movie..her vocals really fits the mood of this film..fantastic.

Watch it
-if you want something original
-if you want relaxing movies( great music, wonderful cinematography, masterful camera work...honestly one of the best camera work I've seen)
-if you love cooking

Tunnel
Nov 9, 2016
So basically the movie is about humanity, just like the main character didn’t lost his humanity during that situation he fall in, he still help this other girl even narrowing his chance of surviving this hell, and just like how the government authority took advantage of the situation even though they are partly to be blamed as to the fall of the tunnel. The movie will also give you this question “will you choose the life of one person above the lives of other people affected by the situation?".

This is an intensely claustrophobic experience and I am not even a claustrophobic person. They really capture the emotion during the situation, the camera angle, the sounds from falling rocks and the dust particles are what makes it possible. I like the way they insert comedic moments in the situation, it’s hilarious but makes sense, they played it brilliantly. Aside from suspense, the drama is pretty heavy here as the dilemma falls to the people involved like the rescue leader and his wife, you will feel sympathy for them.

The CGI is brilliant, realistic, Hollywood level. The soundtrack will creep you as it brilliantly conveys that situation, lack of sound at some parts that suddenly broken by falling rocks or footsteps is brilliant, it added up to the horror element in the movie. Cinematography is insanely beautiful just made the acting better at some part.

Solid performance from the cast like Ha Jeong Woo, Oh Dal Su and Donna bae they are exceptionally brilliant but we need to commend Nam Ji Hyun for what she has done here because it’s her character that added up layer to the movie and she nailed it brilliantly.

That joke at the end is so good that it adds .5 to my score.

Chihayafuru: Shimo no Ku
Oct 16, 2016
A very nice example of live action done right as this one didn't suffer from that thing that most live actions have, this time the story is not rushed but without removing important elements and events in the anime. The first verse is a great set up for the awesome second verse as its theme is somewhat connected with the second verse. First verse created the dynamics between characters well that it felt more natural in the second verse. There's a bit of romance hinted here but that's not the main focus in the story, it's more about friendship and their conflicts. Fan or not this is a must watch as karuta as a game is so fascinating to begin with, it's part of Japanese culture and its poems are somewhat the foundation of Japanese morals and just like as they flick those cards in slow motion, its lessons will approach you straight to your face.

Before watching this I already knew that the director is Norihiro Koizumi, the same guy who directed Taiyou no uta(movie) and the liar and his lover so I am confident that this would be a good adaptation when I first heard about it and I am not wrong. He is great creating meaningful scenes for the reason that cinematography is one of his strongest points especially long shots, people who saw taiyou no uta know what I mean. The other thing is that he is great in showing the emotions of his characters, even an angle where only back of a person is seen. He's an actor's director, the one who makes his actors looks better and probably the reason why Suzu Hirose looks so fine here.

Visuals in this movie is so damn fine as slow motion in those karuta battle works so damn well, it gives those scenes so much impact, also give kudos to editing . The music they use really adds up to the feels of the movie it makes such scenes epic and those battles engaging. The only complaint I have is the song they use in the end, I'm a huge perfume fan but that the song didn't capture the whole atmosphere of the movie.

Perhaps the best casting in a live action ever as all those character are well played, a great ensemble of talented young cast that would probably become A class actors in the future namely Suzu Hirose, Mone Kamishiraishi, Hiroya shimizu, Nomura Shuhei, Mackenyu, Mayu Matsuoka. At first I was bit worried that suzu hirose might not give justice to the role, although I still felt the same in the first movie but this second movie prove me wrong. I think it's just right to cast her as chihaya, she is fun, she's passionate and she has done a nice job of giving energy and freshness to the character. Mayu matsuoka nailed the role as the queen, she really looks like queen, spot on casting, but more than looks it's the acting that makes her standout in this movie, her facial expressions and that way she handled the character change, she's a versatile actress indeed. What I thought would be the cutest card battle ever ended up becoming the most emotional card battle I had witnessed as it serves as a venue for the character development of chihaya and the queen, this is really important because this is the theme they wanted to convey here, like in any sport solo or team and definitely in life "doing it with friends is better than alone".

I agree that most Manga and Anime should not be made into a live action but stories that are so good should be shown in different platforms and chihayafuru is among them. Also, the good thing about watching a live action is that it would be a fascinating experience if the feels from watching an anime translates well into live, I will never get tired of watching live action for this reason.

Sweet Bean
Jun 8, 2016
When it comes to slow thought provoking films there is no better country that produces films like this than Japan, and there have been two directors that are front runners in this kind of genre which were Koreeda and Kawase. Both have similar styles but if you look closely koreeda films were tied with family while Kawase films were tied with how humans were connected with nature. Having said that, this film by Kawase is such a compelling film but compelling might be an understatement and strong might be a better word to describe it.

Well the story is simple a guy bakes pastries for a living, selling them under these beautiful cherry trees, in a street side shop that he doesn't own. He is somewhat unhappy with his life, because of certain events in his past. One of his close customers is a middle school girl who is also troubled by her relationship with her mother. One day an old lady appears and asks if she can be a part timer in his shop, he politely refused because he thought she could not do the job, but the old lady keeps coming until he accepts her when he has tasted her red bean paste. It is the word of mouth about Sentaro's improved Dorayaki that makes people mob their shop, but it is also the reason why the shop became deserted. At first the movie seems it is about food as you witness how much time is needed to prepare the perfect red bean paste. Until you reach into a point where you realize there is much more to it and the main point of the movie is so strong that might leave you in tears. Aside from how people were connected to nature, which was Kawase's trademark, there are also 2 main points the director wants to convey, which were "the stigma of leprosy" and "the value and meaning of life", the former is the most captivating but I find the latter rewarding.

Kawase as a director is always been impressive, her eyes and ears for films is in my opinion, unmatched. Her visuals as she captured those nature shots and blends it well with her poetic dialogues were very much engaging. Her camera work that sometimes would make you feel that you were watching a documentary was able to show the emotions of her characters perfectly. The way she captures background sounds works well for what she have, her canvass, and that would make a certain scene so poignant.

I've already said eyes and ears but now I will talk about the feels which was missing from the recent movies I've seen from her.

"we want to live in society where the sun shines"

If a single quote can knocked you off your feet, this is it, perhaps the most powerful quote I've encountered watching a movie. This quote left me bawling for tears literally, as the scene after this quote had been said were directed perfectly. The emotions that the director is trying to convey goes to me, it did hit me as it clearly show that the stigma on people who have this disease is still happening even though that Japan have already removed them from isolation since 1996. I even felt guilty that I might probably act the same way towards her like those customers and even Sentaro himself. We are only human, we only judges person based on their looks.

The acting, Nagase Masatoshi, this is the first time I've seen this actor that has this tadanobou asano-ish aura, well it may be disrespectful to addressed him this way, but I was impressed with him. He was able to show the struggles of his character in subtle way but what I was really impressed is his scene during the end. Uchida Kyara, who is kirin kiki's real granddaughter shows some promise although not to the extent of how jun yoshinaga impresses me, she managed to somewhat stick and not falls off just as a background character cause among the 3 characters , her character has less emphasis. Then its kirin kiki, who makes the time flew so fast, cause I was captivated by her acting the whole time. No need to pity her character, her character is already done with that pity phase. It is her character whose last purpose is to enrich the lives our other 2 characters, to show them that we were born into this world to see it and listen to it, since that is the case we don't have to be someone, that each of us has meaning to our lives. Kirin kiki has been the best Japanese actress for me since that time I saw her on akunin. She has done performances that melts your heart from movies chronicles of my mother, akunin, Tokyo Tower: Mom Me, and Sometimes Dad. You might just recognize her on supporting roles and that might be enough to call her great actress, but if you really want to see what she's capable of as an actress you need to see her in a main role.

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Aug 10, 2016
The concept of time travel has always been fascinating and that alone might be the reason why you want to pick this, but that's not all there's more to it, and why this drama is worth watching. Unlike other dramas with time travel as a plot, this one totally makes sense at all, they have explanations in all our questions and that is important because a plot that makes no sense is a big turn off to me. The characters here act like real high school students unlike in other high school dramas recently which have tendency to act too mature for their age, and that hurts the experience by removing too much reality, which IMO unnecessary and annoying. It's not hard to spot this we've been in high school once in our life and that scene on the beach OMG, as one of the characters clap along with others as they tease **spoilers**, that character is me LOL and the pain came back as I watch. The chemistry of our trio is by all means great, one of the best chemistry I've seen in my years of watching Japanese school theme drama. They are fun characters but what's more fun is watching their interactions together which make me think that they are real friends in real life. Romance, I'm no authority on this due to the fact that maybe I'm not a romantic person or maybe just I don't give a sh*t, but I think you will get what you want from this. 5 episodes for this drama is just right which makes this not draggy at all, although I wouldn't mind if they make additional episodes for other side characters just like in episode 2, that was well crafted episode that makes me teary-eyed a bit.

Music, I love those 2 songs they play here, particularly that ending song, I read the lyrics and it really suits the story and the atmosphere of this drama, and they really capitalize on that by inserting it in the most appropriate time. Those scenes as it plays were perfectly done, those transitions the effects added much to those emotions I had.

No words can describe how glad I am to see Kuroshima Yuina back again. I always knew this girl is capable of great feats just that her performance in some drama or movies recently was average. When I say characters here acts like real high school students, I was mostly referring to her. Every gestures of her character are just like you would expect if an innocent mindless high school student gets this ability. She uses time travel as if nothing and she's fun to watch every time she doing it. I even put myself on Shohei's shoes and thinking she pain in the ass for not thinking of the consequences. She has grown into a great actress far from that girl who continuously taps honoo-kun to get his attention. I am particularly honest towards boy band members which IMO most of them sucks, but give credit where credit is due. Kikuchi Fuma who played Fukamachi Shohei did well as he portrays this guy from year 2122 that experience love for the first time convincingly. He makes the development of the character looks believable. Takeuchi Ryoma on the other hand had less screen time but that does not mean he's the weakest. He nailed those dramatic scenes convincingly and you could really feel the frustration from him. This guy has the dramatic chops to play more serious roles in the future. Lastly Yoshimoto Miyu, you are so damn cute, I just wish that they make you appear more in this drama but anyway hope for more drama from you in the future.

So the ultimate question, Is the ending sad? Well it depends on your own perspective, all I can say is that there's a cute plot twist in the end that makes Mihane remain positive and that was brilliant.

I Am a Hero
Nov 14, 2016
This one deserves a review so here it is.

I Am Hero is based on a Manga of the same name and It has been one of my favorites in recent years and let me remind you Manga is not yet finished so the movie as well, but that doesn't mean the movie will leave you hanging, in fact they adapted the best ARC in the Manga and finished it damn well and they did convey that theme in the Manga in this movie, so what is the theme? Well just read damn the title my friends.

The story revolves around Hideo who is a once a promising mangaka but his dreams always stay out of reach for the reason that his characters were pretty normal like him, he has a relationship that is about to end, in short he is somewhat your typical loser protagonist. One day zombie apocalypse happens, miraculously he's one of those who survive then he met this girl that he promised to protect with his life. One interesting thing about this movie is its setting, it is in Japan where there are only few people who owns a gun and our protagonist owns it as a hobby. This gun is vital to the story as owning a shotgun at this situation means you are the king, this became the point of conflict with humans in the story as someone wanting it badly enough to kill for it and the way it serves as a metaphor for Hideo's character development is a work of a mad genius, like only in japan, the land of metaphors.

Visual effect are spectacular as they did something very different here, zombies veins are black, they deform differently once they became zombies, They move and contorts like insects. The sound effects are amazing too, the squishy sounds once their head exploded was done right. Music is intense if it needs to be intense. Song at the end it quite nice, it captures the atmosphere of the movie well.

Oizumi Yo gives a solid performance his zero to hero transformation was believable, though he doesn't look like the character in the Manga at least his persona reflects hideo, kudos to him. As for Nagasawa Masami and Arimura Kasumi, they were at least mediocre. I was especially disappointed with Nagasawa Masami's character cause that character is very different from the manga, her character supposed to be a baddass. Kasumi Arimura's character didn't do as much here so I can't asses how he did in this film.

So how would this stack up against other zombie titles? well let's say to me it made zombies scary again and kind off remind me why this genre has been one of the favorites for these past decade and that last minutes was a FREAKING-INTENSELY-GORY-HEAD-EXPLODING FINALE.

100 Yen Love
Sep 13, 2015
OK wait!!!.......don't push the stop button just yet cause the movie will only get interesting on it half part. It was one of the slowest films I have ever seen even on a Japanese standard( which is notorious for making slow movies). I don't know if I like that slowness at the beginning because it is somewhat intended to build up for that awesome last part, I give the first half 5/10 but the later half part is 10/10.

100 yen love...don't let this title fool you, yes it sounds like a title for a cute romantic comedy film but it is nothing like that and you won't get the feeling here. Go watch it to know why the title is like this and see that transformation of main lead's character which maybe will inspire you.

The acting, what can I say sakura ando is indeed the greatest young japanese actress right now imo, I'm into contact sports myself and I can say that ando sakura put hard effort to look like a real boxer her movements don't look fake like another sports drama's I watched. Only a few actress can do or even think of doing roles ando sakura takes. Aside from hirofumi arai...I have not idea who the other actors but they act well especially her sister in the movie( watched out for that epic food fight).

warning!!!
it has both rape and nudity so stay away if you're a minor or a person who can't watch movies like this.

Go watch it cause it was one of sakura ando best performance and it was Japanese representative on the upcoming Oscars foreign movie category.

Like Father, Like Son
Jul 18, 2014
Aside from amnesia, the story of mistaken exchange babies is perhaps one of the most used in drama history especially HERE WHERE I LIVE (PHILIPPINES). So it is mind-boggling how the director makes it FRESH if this was done by some Filipino director there will be lots of crying families cursing each other children became delinquent etc. etc.

The movie is slow, but it is so realistic that you feel you're not watching a movie. I love how the family handles the situation and how the parents realize about themselves when they exchange the child.

IF you don't like a slow artsy movie then it's not for you.
IF you want something different then it's for you.
IF you want to relax and stop thinking about your daily work then it's for you

I don't cry in this movie..this is NOT a tearjerker movie...but the effect will last long.

The scene when a father was holding a camera and browsing at the pictures taken by his 6 yr old former son is what HITS me.

[ koreeda style is this......he will make you walk calmly slowly THEN a f*cking truck
came and hit you in the end, the damage will stay with you for months ].

The Great Passage
Jul 20, 2014
what is love??

An emotional state where you feel affection for someone and you can't get that person out of your mind, affecting your ability to focus on other things.

When fulfilled, feels like you're on top of the world.

This is the film's definition of the word love and I really love this film that I call this a masterpiece.

Word hunters that's how I described dictionary makers, this movie show their fun way of gathering words and how they decide for the accurate meaning of the word and how the people use that word. This movie will make you realize that making dictionary is one of the hardest jobs in the world. A movie about making dictionary seems boring but to me its different and this is why I love japanese movie they offer different story to movie lovers like me. Its a must see movie especially if you love words and your into japanese language one of the most informative movies i watched. I love how they compare a dictionary to a boat floating into a sea of words. At first I thought this movie will become artsy slow film but to me it was not a slow movie..I call it well executed. So many unexpected things in this movie, judging the poster and reading the synopsis who can tell this movie has the lamest love letter and the lamest proposal ever LMAO!!

The acting is great..I thought this is the first time I saw ryuhei matsuda but It happens that he is the japanese guy from the raid movie no way you can tell its the same person. You can tell matsuda really study his character and didnt just copy any nerdy character from other movies, his way of portraying a nerdy/serious guy who dont have social skills but ironically who loves words is really terrific..he really deserves the best actor award on this. Supporting character are great too like odagiri and miyazaki...no nonsense acting by miyazaki and this was the first time i saw odagiri portray this type of character, his chemistry to the main lead is great their personality is different but they form great moments on screen.
The music is great too totally sets the mood and fits the story and I love how the director capture the sounds from the background which adds to the ambiance.

This film lefts a question that I can't probably know the answer forever.

What is the true definition of the word right?

Genkai Shuraku Kabushiki Kaisha
Apr 2, 2015
After that majestic charm mayu matsuoka shown in mondai no restau as chika I have decided to watch her in a lead role. So without reading the synopsis i have decided to watch this show. To my surprise this drama became the best ive seen this 2015, fast paced drama that tackels this problem called "genkai shuraku" which basically means the town is dying cause people are leaving and only old folks remains. If you watch the news you know that that is a big problem in japan right now. This drama shows how hard it is to become a farmer as it shows they're struggle to save this dying town with matching that powerful emotional music I can't help but got teary eyed. Im also familiar with the other cast which is sorimachi and tanihara..Ilove both actors. Sorimachi have this great father aura in him and his father and daughter chemistry with matsuoka is realistic. I have to admit the character by tanihara at start seems to be annoying, I also feel that his presence will kill the ambiance of this drama but gladly it seems that the scriptwriters fix his character and remove a bit of that manga characteristics. Matsuoka also is the perfect for her character, i dont feel that "daddy issue" in her character at all which may happen if this was played by other young more famous but not as talented actress.

This may feel like a boring drama to you but trust me that wont be the case cause the drama develops fast but without ruining the story.

Death Note: Light Up The New World
Mar 22, 2017
Death note has been considered as one of the best live action adaption ever, it has that legendary status that following its story is not a simple feat. It has been 10 years since the last one so the hype for it was unreal that in my opinion didn't help the movie.

The way death note ended gives lot of questions to us viewers just what happen to the world after? Given that death note still exist. This film tries to answer that question as 6 death notes spread around the world; it also clarifies some rules and expands it more which only makes it more interesting for possible sequels in the future. Also, the film did a nice job of portraying the post death note world as how we imagine it, death note used as a tool for terrorism and the idea of death note as the key for world order. Although even with interesting setting, fans of death note would be a bit disappointed here as it lacks the brain power of the original, nothing new as plot twist and tricks were all familiar, the execution was right but sometimes innovation is needed.

Although the movie's substance is a bit of a disappointment what it excels at is its stunning visuals it's so good, it's directed by Shinsuke Sato in the first place, the guy who directed Gantz and I am hero so you know what to expect if you watched those, the camera shots were awesome and the films atmosphere too, and also THE CGI WAS TOP NOTCHED RYUK here is miles better than the original.

Imagining death note without Light and L would be hard but at least their presence was felt from video recordings of them throughout the movie which IMO was a brilliant idea. As for the rivalry, it is now played by Ryuzaki and Shien which was subpar compared to the original but please do yourself a favor "DO NO WATCH THIS FILM WITHOUT WATCHING THE 3 PART MINI SERIES" this will make you connect with them and understand their motivation better. The acting from 3 main actors was excellent even higashide which at first I thought would be subpar compared to ikematsu and suda.

Got the same feeling from watching Crows Explode, just replicates the awesomeness of the original but offers nothing new. Felt a bit of cash grab. Felt a bit disappointed especially that actors played their characters well.