Close Range Love

GirlOfTheEast
Apr 26, 2015
I don't know. It's cute yes but hmmn, the feeling was just not there. Not a movie to remember. The first part was fun but it just flowed forward into boring scenes.

I'm totally not convinced by the main roles Yamashita Tomohisa and Komatsu Nana in this movie. The acting was just soso. It could have had lot's of more feeling. If you're watching this movie for Yamashita Tomohisa's appearance then you should watch this, handsome in every scene. Yamamoto Mizuki did a great job as a supporting character! I want to see more of her.

Also a very very cliché story..Don't expect something unique. A typical manga love story.

I liked the music!

Watch this if you're bored and don't expect much, then maybe it's good for you!

LeejLicious
Apr 24, 2015
What a cute movie.
This is one of those movies where you will say things like OMG, cute, I wish it was me. Because there is loads of eyecandy here. I liked the story, it is easy to follow and sometimes cheesy. But the cheesyness really belonged here in this movie so it is acceptable. I did had a hard time with the female lead because I wanted her to be a bit different than she had to portray in the movie.
The acting was really good, especially if the female lead got on my nerves for her acting here, she did her job wel. The male lead is easy to love and I thought his acting was great. Also the chemistry they have in this movie is incredible!
I would rewatch this movie because it is so darn cute and this movie just has something about it that I want to rewatch it.

Watch this movie if you like cheesy, cute and romantic movie.
Skip this if you don't like romance of much cheesyness.

fatema
Oct 11, 2015
Of course this movie is a must watch if you are Yamapi's fan.

I usually fall asleep or give up on slow paced movies but Yamapi saved the movie all the way for me. The plot is predictable and the relationship sadly lacked REAL problems. I wished Yuni's character had developed throughout the movie. Her cousin mentioned she used to express herself freely in the past and I would have loved to see that towards the ending. Maybe it was the actress that wasn't convincing.

Anyways, this movie is worth watching at least once! And there is a certain scene I'd re-watch for a very long time *wink*.

And I must add, the music was absolutely stunning!

bread-tie-twisty
Apr 20, 2015
I watched this movie because I like Yamashita Tomohisa's acting a lot. In this he plays a english teacher with some emotional damage and begins tutoring a girl in his class who also has some emotional issues. The movie is really cute, to the point it is sometimes very very cheesy. But I loved the cheesiness. Although there is a 11 year age difference in the leads, they have good chemistry and the weirdness of a teacher and a student plot dissolves from your mind.
leahakiko
Sep 13, 2015
I'm trying to start this review and the only word in my mind is "meh". It wasn't terrible, it was actually kind of cute, but there was just so much lacking in this movie. I'm also not going to compare this to the manga since I haven't gotten the chance to read it ~

Story | A close teacher and student relationship starts when prodigy student Kururugi Yuni, who excels in every subject except English, start having one-on-one tutoring with Sakurai Sensei. As the tutoring continues the two generally become closer and start a forbidden relationship. Your typical Shouju manga with a cliché relationship so it's nothing new.

Cast | Hm. I'm not completely dissatisfied with the leads but there was definitely some chemistry lacking. I liked Yamashita's acting and I enjoyed Komatsu's acting (Her poker face was the best to be honest). They played their roles in a way that I thought was believable but their was just no real connection. There wasn't much character development either. This may have been because it was a movie and the time to connect was cut short. Supporting cast didn't have much time to shine either, but for what was given, I liked the characters and the actors.

Music | …was there even any? I honestly can't remember. If there was an ending theme song during the credits I missed it because where I watched the movie, it cut off right when it ended.

Rewatch | Probably not. It was a cute movie. Simple story, easy to follow, etc but it was kind of a bore. I kept checking the time to see when it was finally going to end.

Overall | I can't really lie, teacher-student relationship type stories make me cringe a little. I over think and it's just too much sometimes. but even with my slight bias, it was an okay movie. It's a simple to watch movie if you can't find anything. That's really it. I just wish this was turned into a drama rather than a movie. I feel such story lines with interesting characters need more time to develop and establish themselves, to help better the story and make it flow better. Plus I did enjoy these actors and would've liked to watch their character developments because it was too hard to believe the situations when everything moved too quickly

Hanna
Sep 28, 2017
Ohhh that was so bad. It was so bad it hurt my teeth. The only thing making up for this huge time waste is Yamapi's handsome looks. If you're not a super fan of his, then there is really nothing to see here. Bad acting, awful storyline, childlish romance and nothing more than that. Uhh. Yamapi in that suit though.  I gave some stars for the cast just because of that. I wish I had something more to add because the length of a recommendation requires that, but unfortunately, this movie is simply absurd and there's not much to talk about. Can someone please tell me, how in the world would an adult fall in love with a girl who barely talks, just stares in front on her and occasionally runs away like some crazy person? Please, no more shows like this one.

SSKF
Sep 16, 2015
This was okay.

I read the manga many years ago but seeing it on screen was entirely different. The manga flowed well and made it's dubious content likeable. This movie however... I was mortified at some points. And not because of the teacher-student thing.

The script was jerky in places. The story did not flow, and neither did their emotions. I could not believe they loved each other and were not temporarily infatuated. I couldn't even believe the infatuation on Sensei's part. I think that must be blamed on the script they were given, because their acting were good. I laughed my way through this but it had good entertainment value.

And at some parts, I kept yelling at her to run away from this guy. It seemed too much like he was taking advantage of a socially inept girl. This could have been done in a better way. My Rainy Days was much better.

The cast were appropriate. Especially Yamashita Tohiro. The music was so-so. Rewatch value is a maybe for me. It was good while it lasted.

***Update: This film grows on you. I've actually rewatched it, and it's not so bad the 2nd time. It's actually lovable fluff if you suspend your disbelief and just go with the flow. The cuteness is overloaded. I liked it much better this time around. Try it.

Jianne
Feb 13, 2016
This is one of the few live-action films that I've watched where I have yet to read the manga and I guess I was expecting a lot since I wanted to be surprised...to say the least. But really the reason why I wanted to watch this is because of the main actors: Yamapi and Nana Komatsu.

I've seen Yamapi in his latest drama, From 5 to 9 and I wanted to see his acting abilities. But just like his character in that drama, Yamapi feels like a #deadfisheye actor. (I read in a Psycho-Drama article, there's agood analysis of his acting in his other works there as well.) He is good-looking, yes. (And his character in that drama requires for him to have that type of acting but after seeing it here too...) And he has the charisma but his acting just doesn't feel real.

Nana Komatsu on the other hand basically swept him under the rug. I've just seen her in The World of Kanako and she is amazing. Her character here is suppose to the one who puts on the ultimate poker face (which she is able to do really well by the way) and Yamapi is suppose to be the one to complement that character by contrasting with her, yet he probably chooses to have a poker face/deadfisheye battle with her.

Plot wise, it's nothing new. Teacher-student relationships are common in anime and manga. Is it done right here? Well, I can't say for sure. I just think that there's not enough development and scene for the two to make their relationship and feelings believable or sincere. Yes, they have chemistry. But it just lacks the development for it to feel like it's done right. We also don't know why Komatsu's character is the way she is. And why Sensei chooses to give her private lessons. There are a lot of gaps here which is why I truly didn't have much of the *doki doki* feelings.

Side note: Also technically, even if Komatsu's character is 18 years old (the legal age in most countries), you're considered an adult at 20 in Japan and they even have a ceremony for it.

Roberthebert
Mar 6, 2017
Great fun watch, nothing deep, had her parents been at least on a phone call would have been more real, nice to watch while not having to be glued to tv like some Kds.
OmuiYuni
Oct 25, 2015
I was really happy when I found this, but I must say I'm quite disappointed.
the story is good since its based off a popular manga I think? it was rushed but thats explainable but what killed me is that I could not feel any type of chemistry between the leads. it just killed me.
both Nana and Tomohisa are great actors and they act really well, just not together.
I've noticed this in alot of japanese movies or drama, in some of them the leads just don't click and the kissing scenes are just cold and emotionless like SOMEONE TEACH THEM HOW TO KISS YOU DON'T JUST SLAP YOUR LIPS AGAINST THE OTHERS' LIPS AND STAY STILL LIKE A STATUE OKAY.
I overreact xD
Nana is so beautiful its so fascinating especially her resting bitch face its so good you can tell she was in character but the leads just didn't have chemistry.
overall? it was okay, not great, not horrible, just okay. I don't think I would watch it again though.

Jun 16, 2017
Okay, it wasn't THAT bad, but it still was too mainstream for me. Sure, I love a good romance, but even so the story had so many potentials to develop and get a good twist here and there, however that never happened. Maybe the fact that the love story was a bit weak or that the chemistry between the couple was so-so, bored me. I mean, when did the teacher fell for her? Shouldn't they have shown us at least that? He can't just steal her away and propose to her out of the blue! Anyway, like I said, the story had potential. Clearly the girl had some issues, as she kept touching her ear every time she talked to someone or she feasted her hand when she was nervous (or ate donuts when she was sad). If only the film had made the effort to explore the girl's mental world better and not focus only on the relationship, maybe then the movie would have some depth and would have been more interesting. Finally, what I liked about this movie: the performances were okay and the way her cousin handled things were interesting. So, 3 out of 10.

Priziamsquare
Mar 29, 2018
I remember seeing this movie in a suggested list before and I read one review that wasn't very positive about it so I put it on hold as I thought it wasn't worth my time and I'd only watch it if I had nothing else but boy was I wrong.
I've watched a lot of these dramas revolving around school life and I wasn't sure how I felt about the dynamic of student and teacher but this is by far the best one I've ever seen. I can not fault this movie in any way. It was just enough in every aspect. The drama between the two main leads had me on edge and just dying with anticipation. I can't fathom why so many people thought this movie was average it was beyond amazing for me.
Their relationship was beautiful and I felt every single emotion Yuni felt in it. I adore that actress and the reason I watched it was because she was in it.
I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone whos on the fence about watching it. It's amazing. 10/10