Hi All!

Here's our discussion thread for the 5th episode, which kpoptrash will set up for joint viewing via Synctube. People can chat live during the viewing on Synctube but please do share observations and comments in this thread, as well, so that as many people as possible can participate. Please use spoiler tags if you mention anything in your comments referring to 'later' episodes as we may have first time viewers reading these posts. Thanks again to everyone!

Hello again! You know the drill but for everyone who is new:

A quick heads up for the rewatch of the fifth episode on Synctube:

Here you can find the link on how to start the subtitles on your phone or tablet on synctube: How to activate subtitles and change your username on Synctube - YouTube 

On computer using a browser though you are able to activate the subtitles the same way as on Youtube. Once you activate the subtitles on the first video the following videos will show them automatically.

The video also shows how you can change your user name for the chat. Please use the same user name as the one you use here on MyDramaList so people can recognize you.

Also if you can, please use a computer/laptop/tablet for the rewatch on Synctube. That way you can see the video on the left side of the display and the chat is on the right next to the video. This is the most convenient way. When using the phone it can be a bit inconvenient and also too small, but it also works.

I will share the Synctube link on Friday, around 8 pm Bankok time, so everyone has enough time to enter and change their username. I will start the episode at 08:30 pm Bankok time. Between 08:00 an 8:30 I will drop some of the OSTs of the series in the watch playlist so we have some nice music while waiting for the episode to start - so feel free to already enter around 08:00 pm. :)

See you tomorrow! :)

Here's the latest.  I think I'm a little ahead of where we are in the series.  But some events are not in the same time-line.  Have a great week everyone!

Chapter 15

Dr. Wasan is taking care of Tian in the local infirmary.  He notices that Tian is hoarse because his throat is inflamed due to all the shouting he had done the previous day.  Dr. Nam asks Tian for his medication that’s he’s been taking in the village so he can see if they might be resistant to the medication he would be giving him for his fever.  Tian is worried that this will reveal his condition and that he would be forced to leave the village.  Wasan seeing Tian’s medication is shocked and realizes that Tian has had a heart transplant.  He say he has to tell Phupha about this because he is in charge of Tian, but Tian begs him not to.  Dr. Nam asks Tian why he came to the village.  He asks if it was to try to live in the countryside or because of his attraction to Phupha.  Tian shakes his head.  Dr. Nam then asks if it is because of Torfun.  Tian doesn’t deny it, and seems to go into a fetal position on the bed in response. 

For 3 days Tian rests to recover from his fever.  Occasionally Phupha places a hand on him to comfort him which Tian looks forward to.  Tian in boredom reads Phupha’s military books, and waits for him outside the house to ask him a question.  Phupha comes home late because he is still dealing with the illegal logging issue after the school burnt down.  Phupha takes a shower first and Tian notices the scars all over his body and reflects on how Phupha had to face real hardship in his life whereas he had it pretty easy.  Ironically his father is in the military, but has shielded him from the brutal realities of the job.  Tian asks Phupha why he chose to become a soldier.  Phupha reveals that it is because of his father who took great pride in his job.  His father had told him that he was a defender of a peaceful nation.  Even though his father only made 6000 bahts a month ($192 US dollars), his self-esteem in his profession made it worthwhile.  Phupha went in to the profession because of his father and his most cherished memory was being awarded the rank of second lieutenant when he graduated. Tian asks Phupha if he is afraid of dying because of his job.  Phupha says everyone is afraid of death but he has no one to worry about it now because both his parents were dead.  His superiors, knowing that, never asked him if wanted to be transferred from the border.  Phupha also says if Tian is worried about him he promises to be more careful with himself and then kisses Tian on his forehead.  Tian’s heart races but he gets a hold of himself and starts cursing Phupha. 

Dr. Nam visits in the morning and tells Tian that the children miss him.  From watching Tian and Phupha interacting he accuses  Phupha of casting a love spell on Tian.  Phupha threatens to beat him up.  Tian goes to the school later that day and is greeted by his excited students.  Khama soon comes up and says the villagers were worried about him.  Tian is distraught at the charred remains of the school but Khama reassures him that they will rebuild it, but Tian worries that Sakda’s men might destroy it again.  Khama says they will rebuild the school ten times if they had to, or until Sakda’s men got tired of burning it down.  Phupha arrives and reflects he did the right thing by sending Tian to the village.  He tells Khama that Sakda has disappeared from town and they were currently still trying to find his base in the forest.  Tian is told that the charity is rounding up funds to rebuild the school.  He thinks when they rebuild it they should use refractory bricks and fiber-glass composites so it would be nearly impossible to burn down.  Soon Khama introduces his son Longtae who is on a long break from his university.  Longtae is about 18-19 years old, 2-3 years younger than Tian.  Longtae has rounded up a bunch of bananas as a present for Tian.  Khama’s wife has prepared some food and Khama offers it to him and tells him she can cook for him everyday.  Tian declines this generous offer but eats voraciously, even though he prefers Western food to Thai.  Speaking with Longtae, Tian finds that he wants to come back as an official to his village to help them like his father had done before him.  Tian feels slightly ashamed because he had never had any noble purpose when he was studying engineering.

Some villagers come running up to Khama’s house in the afternoon.  Apparently some has been possessed by a spirit from the forest.  Tian asks Longtae to take him to the house of the infected villager.  Mima, the village shaman, is there and has all his shamanistic tools in front of him for an exorcism ceremony (some white wine, some boiled chicken, sweet and savory food, and a clay figure of some animal).  Tian asks Longtae if he believes in ghosts.  Longtae replies that he respects the traditions of the Akha people and believes what they believe, meaning he does believe in ghosts.  Mima has put some wine, saliva chewing with fallen leaves, and water on the man’s face as part of the ritual.  The man seems to recover a little bit and seems more aware of his surroundings than before.  The shaman lights incense at the front of the man’s house to protect it against evil spirits.  Tian aks Longtae later if villagers encountered ghosts in the forest that often.  Longtae says that they don’t and Tian wonders why there were so many ghosts coming out recently. 

End of Chapter 15

It's me again - ready for another Rewatch Party? :)

Click down below to enter the rewatch for episode 5 on Synctube.

Before that don’t forget to check out how the subtitles work on the phone/small tablets and how to change your username, if you didn’t already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5GkdopVuGE&ab_channel=Sina 
On computer the subtitles just work the same way as on YouTube. 

If you can, please use a laptop/computer or a bigger tablet for the rewatch as it is the most convenient way to watch and chat at the same time. Phone does work, too though.

If you enter the Synctube room and it says “no video” you may have to use a different browser or disable Browser extensions like Ad Blocker.

RULES:

- Please set your username as the one you use here on MyDramaList
- Don’t spam the chat and be nice to each other, please

And last but not least – have fun. :)

Click here to enter >>>> https://sync-tube.de/rooms/p47Zikp9SD <<<<

Well, I think it was the consensus on last night's rewatch that wow, there are a lot of really sweet scenes in Ep 5.   (I had not remembered them all, and it was fun to revisit the episode.)    I did not take notes, but here are a few that I recall from the rewatch:

-- Tul being a super good friend to Tian, during Tian's "confession" scene.   (Do you like cats or do you like dogs -- both are okay with me.)

--  Nam being a good friend to both Tian and Phu -- actually being a bit of a shipper, pushing them to get together.

--  The dual-edited scenes of Tian and Phu, as Tian comes out to Tul, and Phu is razzed by his guys, who clearly already know he likes guys.

--  The LandRover conversation between Tian and Phu (complete with little sex jokes).

--  Phu eats Tian's banana.

--  The nighttime farewell between Tian and Phu -- such wonderful camera and acting work on their faces.

Others, I am sure, will recall more.

Episode 5 is my favorite along with episode 3 and 10 (we should rank all episodes in the end). By the time this was aired, I know I'll have a long mad love affair with this series. It's in a completely different league from all the other BLs I enjoyed before it.

When Tian asserted his sexuality to Tul, it was hallelujah!!! That conversation between them is seriously one of the best coming out scenes ever!

Also enjoyed the funny bantering of chief and his group. His sexuality was never in question nor made fun of, only his obvious attraction towards Tian.  It was Utopian-like refreshing. I enjoyed the scenes where the chief recalls all the advices Dr. Nam gave him and put it to good use.

Despite being clearly smitten, he couldn't bring himself to make a move as he clearly thinks ahead knowing Tian is going home soon and he himself is not interested in anything short term. He cares so much about Tian's future when he told Yod he couldn't ask Tian to stay as he hasn't finished his college education.

Tian's invitation to "play a kite" had me internally screaming with second hand embarrassment when I found out what it meant.

All those staring contests and the "will they, won't they" flirting puts me at the edge of my seat you just want this ship to sail so bad.

The actual kite flying is magical as it shows how you can attain happiness from doing simple things with the people you care about. The music accompanying it (which sadly I've yet to find)  stirs overwhelming emotion happiness and oddly sadness as well. You can't help but root for these characters. They deserve nice things.

MEMORABLE LINES:

TIAN: How would you feel if I told you that I like men?
TUL: It's up to you!

-YES Tul!!!  It's no big deal.

TUL: If they are the same thing, that means you are gay and you have feelings for him. You like men, meaning you are gay. And I'm ok with it because you are my friend clear?
-TUL Elevating himself to the highest friendship goal

FATSO: Your daddy is not here to protect you today!
-Daddy? oh that daddy! He'd break your skull open if he was there.

TIAN: Can you not be a chief at the moment?
PHUPHA: What do you want me to be?
TIAN: A brother I guess
-Get out of here Tian!!! You into incest now?

Tian: Why didn't you tell me you know how to do it? (making Pak Pao Kite)
Phupha: Do we have to tell people that we know how to do it? 

- which elicited a knowing smile from Tian understanding the double entendre

OVERALL,  a fabulous super memorable episode full of heart that made me admire the series all over again after the re-watch.

So fun as always to do it with you guys! Until next week! ;)

BraveAppointment1:
Phu

Hahaha! You had me in stitches. The way he ate it was so innocent yet seductive, this man's fire!!!

Thank you solipisism5 for summarizing the novel for us! Looking forward to the next few chapters. Won't you join us on one of the re-watch? 

Last night was fun as usual, here are some of my thoughts:

- I'm a bit stressed that Tian didn't tell Chief about his connection to Torfun, he could've atleast told him about the whole heart transplant atleast that would enlighten Phupha abit about why he says or does things similar to Torfun. That brings me to my second point, i can't blame them for comparing Tian and Torfun SOMETIMES because he really does things similar to Torfun since he's reading Torfun's diary and may unconsciously been imitating her (like calling Chief green giant), although i do agree sometimes the peoples comparison are too much lol 

- Episode 5 is so full of fluff, Tul is definitely a friend we'd all want to have, he's so supportive. Chief's trio are so funny and it's really nice how they just tease him like they already know about his sexuality. The sequence of Tian with Tul and Phupha with his friends was really nice, how they explained it was really done well.

- It must have felt like a reaaaally long day for Phupha without Tian haha

- Tian being confused why Phupha is being nice to him for a change and Phupha smiling at his stolen pic of Tian was so adorable. The Goodnight scene and all that staring should be illegal lol, you just melt with that scene.

- The Kite flying scene was so heartwarming <3

Overall so many great scenes here, i felt like a lot has happened in this episode. Can't wait for next week again :)

Jaybird17:

Hahaha! You had me in stitches. The way he ate it was so innocent yet seductive, this man's fire!!!

OMG LOL hahahaa

I don't have much to say about the episode because everyone already pointed out all the great things. 

Jaybird17  Thanks for pointing out all these memorable lines! What an effort! I agree with you, they are really memorable. And I still love the nickname "Fatso" xD It's funny!! 

Tul is truly a bestie for life. Tian is lucky having such an amazing friend. Instead of waving good-bye they flipped each other off LOL! Friendship goals right there!

All these little sex jokes made the episode extra funny - but they were still classy and not over the top naughty haha. 

I was also stressed like you KZRocks that Tian didn't just drop the bomb at this point and tells Phu about his connection to Torfun. He even got advice about that from Tul and agreed but yeah - missed his chance.

I still remember being on edge at the end of the episode when Tian fainted. The wait for the upcoming episode was soooo unbearably looong at that point!

Also thanks for joining, Mildred! I hope you had fun watching with us. I imagine it to be so nice to watch an episode for the first time with people who have the same interest, lucky you! Please join again some time. :) 

Next Friday come faster please - hope to see you guys again next week. :)

solipisism5:
End of Chapter 15

Thank you, once again, for your interesting and informative synopses, solipisim5!

BraveAppointment1:

Well, I think it was the consensus on last night's rewatch that wow, there are a lot of really sweet scenes in Ep 5.   (I had not remembered them all, and it was fun to revisit the episode.)    I did not take notes, but here are a few that I recall from the rewatch:

-- Tul being a super good friend to Tian, during Tian's "confession" scene.   (Do you like cats or do you like dogs -- both are okay with me.)

--  Nam being a good friend to both Tian and Phu -- actually being a bit of a shipper, pushing them to get together.

--  The dual-edited scenes of Tian and Phu, as Tian comes out to Tul, and Phu is razzed by his guys, who clearly already know he likes guys.

--  The LandRover conversation between Tian and Phu (complete with little sex jokes).

--  Phu eats Tian's banana.

--  The nighttime farewell between Tian and Phu -- such wonderful camera and acting work on their faces.

Others, I am sure, will recall more.

Yes, you caught some of the best moments. I also love the scene where Phu interrogates Yod over Tian's trip into Chiang Mai. It's hilarious!

The nightime farewell scene is just beautifully done and anyone who's ever been in the beginning stages of love can remember having those kind of moments: protracted good byes, smiling like a fool, and just wanting to linger in oneanothers' presence for just a little bit longer... Vive l'amour toujours...

Jaybird17:
The actual kite flying is magical as it shows how you can attain happiness from doing simple things with the people you care about. The music accompanying it (which sadly I've yet to find) stirs overwhelming emotion happiness and oddly sadness as well. You can't help but root for these characters. They deserve nice things.

Absolutely! I found so many moments in this episode so touching!

kpoptrash:
All these little sex jokes made the episode extra funny - but they were still classy and not over the top naughty haha.

Indeed. They weren't crass about it.

Sorry I missed the rewatch. I was having problems with my Internet connection and didn't get it fixed until today.