ALRIGHT.
I have a big question for you guys, and I hope that someone can help me out.

So....I really wanted to go to Anime North this year, but I failed to find a character that I could cosplay with my hijab. (headscarf)
I've seen some online, but I don't know if I can recreate those myself.

examples:

I'd really like to go as Miku, but I know some people get offended when it's not accurate enough and I'd like to look as much like Miku as possible. >_< I was also thinking Lolita but who know.
What would be even better would be if I could go as one of the champions from League of Legends. Most of the girl champions show a lot of skin, I know, but I could maybe go for Annie or Tibbers. Bwahahah

If guys have any ideas on some characters that could be changed a bit to cover hair and have loose outfits in general, please do tell.
Also, what are your general thoughts on incorporating hijab into cosplay?

Thanks a lot. ^^

(P.S. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, I SHALL GO AS NOFACE. kekeke)
scrap the hijab and show more skin

You will need to look beyond the original miku costume and google more plus with added creativity.
Example: Extending the colar width to cover your neck and get a much more puffy wavy miku hair to cover your head. The rest of your skin? Try leggings or long socks.
MaliceAI wrote:

You will need to look beyond the original miku costume and google more plus with added creativity.
Example: Extending the colar width to cover your neck and get a much more puffy wavy miku hair to cover your head. The rest of your skin? Try leggings or long socks.

Thank you! Will look into that. :)
I would lengthen the skirt to a length you're comfortable with, whether that is knee length with 'over the knee' socks (or leggings) or an ankle length skirt (or longer!). Attach her sleeves to the shirt (or wear a long sleeve shirt under it). I like that first picture with the turquoise scarf over the hijab representing her hair. That should be easy to do. You could even still add a microphone over that.
bannie wrote: scrap the hijab and show more skin

Your disrespect knows no bounds.
I feel like I've seen too much anime.

Takayama, Maria and her sister are two you could do. Use the hijab under the hooded part. I don't know how you will feel about cosplaying as a school nun though.

too bad I didn't see this before the con, what did you end up going with? I think any cosplay is open to interpretation and personalizing. my advice would have been to choose any character you like and really want to represent and have fun with it. design an original interpretation around that character that will allow you to wear your hijab and not show skin. people alter costumes all the time for modesty, there are some folks who would badmouth it, because as someone demonstrated, there are always going to be people who think they're better than everyone and have the right to talk down on anyone they choose, but MOST people are decent and if the costume is done well i really think most people would be more likely to appreciate the creativity and work you had to put into it and would compliment the outcome or else keep their mouths shut. i hope you weren't discouraged and will continue to cosplay and ignore the few disrespectful dummies out there.
Just in case you go to another convention, or for next year's AnimeNorth: There is another vocaloid named Miki and she has a costume I think could work.
For example, it looks like this cosplayer is wearing pants/stocking.

Some pictures show the vocaloid wearing what looks like a fluffy headscarf/hood.

Also, back to keeping your arms and legs covered, I think you could buy tights or hose and paint or mark the designs on them since her skin has this robotic look to it.

Lastly, a lot of my friends create original concepts or model their cosplay after fanart they find. Even the famous cosplayers do it. It is widely acceptable and anyone who complains should be ignored. Here is a fanart of Miki wearing a hijab. ^^

i've actually seen that picture before ^_^ i think it looks cute, though i'm really not into vocaloid. there are lots of friendly cosplay forums out there that can give you more advice on how to work a hijab into a design... there are cosplayers all over the world, it is definitely not unheard of to incorporate religious garments into a cosplay.

also just realized you could easily do Rose from FMA, from later on when she has the baby. you can do a pink hijab under the hood where her pink hair would peak out. it would be easy to find an fma group to meet up with :)
First off I want to thank you ALL for the thought that you guys put into this.
May seem a bit silly but I was so frustrated about not having any ideas, that these posts put me at ease.
Oh what would I do without my internet peeps.
Unfortunately I didn't end up going this year, BUT I will definitely give it a try next year.
I'll try my best to do my cosplay justice without having to compromise my religion, and like one of the comment said the people
who dislike it can just be ignored. :)

I will put all of your awesome ideas to good use, andI might even upload the pictures next year of whatever I go as!
And again, Thanks a bunch! ^^

ladyfaile wrote: i've actually seen that picture before ^_^ i think it looks cute, though i'm really not into vocaloid. there are lots of friendly cosplay forums out there that can give you more advice on how to work a hijab into a design... there are cosplayers all over the world, it is definitely not unheard of to incorporate religious garments into a cosplay.

also just realized you could easily do Rose from FMA, from later on when she has the baby. you can do a pink hijab under the hood where her pink hair would peak out. it would be easy to find an fma group to meet up with :)

What exactly is an FMA group? Sorry for my ignorance.
I think it's from the anime Full Metal Alchemist. ^^
OH!!!! I didn't even realize that. derp. Thank you ^^
GisaengTales wrote: First off I want to thank you ALL for the thought that you guys put into this.
May seem a bit silly but I was so frustrated about not having any ideas, that these posts put me at ease.
Oh what would I do without my internet peeps.
Unfortunately I didn't end up going this year, BUT I will definitely give it a try next year.
I'll try my best to do my cosplay justice without having to compromise my religion, and like one of the comment said the people
who dislike it can just be ignored. :)

I will put all of your awesome ideas to good use, andI might even upload the pictures next year of whatever I go as!
And again, Thanks a bunch! ^^

What exactly is an FMA group? Sorry for my ignorance.

Just want to say I respect you highly for not compromising on your beliefs. :)
GisaengTales wrote: OH!!!!
I didn't even realize that.
derp.
Thank you ^^

I think your pictures are awesome and show creativity and playfulness. Cos-Play... Costume "PLAY".

Personally, I think your costumes keep well within the spirit of the meaning. You did a great job.