Does anyone else think there are some parallels between this show and Wuthering Heights?   

For exmaple when Ji Chul walks into the church while Ha Eun is reading the book, I can see how he could easily be a less harsh version of younger Heathclief, his circumstances, his personality and the way he expresses his feelings towards the FL.

Or even the idea of finding somebody despite them passing away.

I wonder whether it's just my imagination or does anybody else see it? 

Yes that's probably what the writer is going for, some references are very blatant. I'm not too familiar with Wuthering Heights since I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie adaptations and I noticed some similarities as well, especially Ji Chul's character, as you said. Which would make sense since that would be the reason it resonated so well with him and why he carried it everywhere.

Hopefully someone with a deeper and more extensive knowledge of the novel will post on this discussion cause I love parallels with classic stories when done right.

I think that the show wants to set some parallels with Wuthering Heights, since the book is constantly mentioned. But it's still not clear to me what the relation between them is, except for the theme of obsessive love.

For me, the first two episodes showed that Ji Chul is similar to Heathcliff. But Ha Eun doesn't seem like Catherine at all. If the show follows the book, and Ji Chul/Jong Bum is Heathcliff, he won't end up with Ha Eun, even though they loved each other.

A  similarlity between the book and the drama that I can think of is the death of the three characters. I'm pretty sure the writes have used the book for a reason and  it seems like the book has a pretty big part as it keep reoccurring throughout the drama. It could also just be that the drama is going to end like the book- all three characters die and I mean all three did die in their first life.  On that basis assuming that JKY is Heathcliff because he dies the last, JSY- Catherine dies second and LSH- Edgar dies first. So I feel like at the end they all might just end up dying :v which I hope they won't lol 

I thought Catherine died first, while Edgar brings their daughter up and dies later? Or perhaps I am just confused as it's been years since I have read it.

I hope we will not get such a depressing ending though :-\ 

I agree apart from Ji Chul and Heathcliff similarities, the  personalities are quite different so far.

It could also be the case of them exploring only one or a couple of themes from that book. Love conquers death perhaps?    

Makes me want to re-read the book to see if it can offer some clues.  

It's been a very long time since I read the book but, I always felt Catherine didn't seem to love anyone. She had two men very much obsessed (maybe in love with her) but she would really toy with both of them. I think Heathcliff was exciting to her, and Edgar was stability (status). I should mention that I really hated the book but I really am interested in this show. I hope they don't explore the selfishness of Catherine in this show...I would be very disappointed.

funnypeopleswim:

It's been a very long time since I read the book but, I always felt Catherine didn't seem to love anyone. She had two men very much obsessed (maybe in love with her) but she would really toy with both of them. I think Heathcliff was exciting to her, and Edgar was stability (status). I should mention that I really hated the book but I really am interested in this show. I hope they don't explore the selfishness of Catherine in this show...I would be very disappointed.

I really don't think they have made Sa Bin as selfish as Catherine. Although because of her naive and kind nature she could be misunderstood to be playing two guys at the same time. 

As for Catherine herself, I do think she loved Heathcliff in her own way, but not enough to disregard his position in the society. She chose the safety that Edgar offered, but bitterly regretted it at the end of her life. At least that's the way I understood it.
Heathcliff on the other hand was so obsessed with her that everything in his life was about her, absolutely everything he did was to do with her.  Which appears to be very similar to what Ji Chul felt for Ha Eun, or at least that seems to be the case from what we saw so far. 

I am also not the greatest fan of the book, but I often enjoy the stories that are inspired by it. They are normally big on romance and  have the whole Beauty and the Beast feel about them, which I love. 

Writing about this makes me want to reread the book as well. I've also enjoyed taming of beast type stories. Sa Bin character is more sympathetic. She seems to have a lot of compassion. I like that about her. Honestly, both male actors are attractive, and dangerous types, it would be hard for any girl to decide. Also one is her student and the other is engaged...

funnypeopleswim:

Writing about this makes me want to reread the book as well. I've also enjoyed taming of beast type stories. Sa Bin character is more sympathetic. She seems to have a lot of compassion. I like that about her. Honestly, both male actors are attractive, and dangerous types, it would be hard for any girl to decide. Also one is her student and the other is engaged...

I actually really like SB. I have noticed that many people dislike her  and think the character isn't believable, but I disagree. I have met a person just like her once. This girl was kind, protective, romantic and giving without expecting anything in return. I was amazed how she didn't differentiate between nice and nasty, choosing to treat everybody with kindness. I sort of had a girl crush on her back then, even though I identify as straight. So yes people like this do exist, they are just rare.

I agree both male leads are dangerous in their own way. I would love to see more passionate emotions from JB, judging from what has happened so far, it looks like we are heading this way.   This btw would make him even more like Heathcliff.
I know it's a different book, but  would SH be Mr Rochester then?  He is certainly tsundere enough and there is a crazy wife in the attic  fiancee ! ;-)

You know I didn't think about Jane Eyre, but SH could totally be more like Mr Rochester, this drama definitely likes the gothic classics. I think it will be good to understand why SH became so corrupt in the current life. Is it karma from the past life of the murder getting away or something from the present life. Of the Bronte sisters' books, I preferred Jane Eyre, probably because I liked Jane and the little girl she takes care of. With SB, they are hinting that her open character is due to getting a heart transplant. Being near death and being saved made her more nice. But whether it in the present or in the past, she seems to have her own moral compass. I haven't caught up on the episodes yet. I was waiting for them to be translated, but I am more curious about SH than JB, at the moment. I don't exactly understand him. 

@Meg

Hmm...but could that kind, protective girl you know in real life see a man walk away from a little boy drowning, and still associate with that man??? 

I think that’s where Sa Bin’s character becomes totally unbelievable. Even if she knew his brother was making him drink detergent, he’s still a kid. 

I know VERY empathetic people too that are nice to the point of being unbelievable. But even they wouldn’t let that slide.