Note: Hi guys! I have no idea how to move on, so I thought, how about I write an analysis about Cang Lan Jue for fun! Otherwise, I'd just be mindlessly scrolling Twitter and MyDramaList. So I think this is a better past time haha.

Love Between Fairy and Devil, also known as Cang Lan Jue in Chinese, is a well-crafted fairytale. At first glance, the character setup is familiar to say the least. There is the dichotomy between a naive fairy with a heart of gold and a heartless villain. Despite the familiar setup, the scriptwriters masterfully subvert expectations and play with existing tropes. Xiao Lan Hua (abbrev. XLH) is an ordinary orchid fairy from Shui Yun Tian (direct translation: Water Cloud Sky), while Dong Fang Qing Cang (DFQC) is painted as the cold, ruthless Moon Lord whose very existence threatens the peace of the three realms: fairy, mortal, and moon tribe. As the story progresses, Xiao Lan Hua melts the cold mountain of his heart. 

As viewers embark on this glittering, breathtaking journey through the three realms, the relationship between XLH and DFQC grows stronger. At first, the Moon Lord finds himself in a predicament. A mysterious seal has tied the orchid fairy and him, so any harm inflicted on XLH’s body transfers to his body. Additionally, any emotions XLH experiences, DFQC experiences them as well. For example, when XLH wakes up in cold sweat after a frightening nightmare, DFQC jolts awake too, and remarks that he has not felt this feeling (fear) in a long time. This sequence of events creates many ridiculous scenarios and comedic exchanges. In order to ensure XLH’s health and happiness, and so that DFQC does not have to stoop down to her level and cry manly tears, DFQC goes out of his way to take care of XLH. He takes her to the highest point in the sky to see the sunrise. In the warm splashes of pink and orange clouds, they even see a mythical whale. Also, DFQC wakes up at dawn to obtain the morning dew for her. Oblivious to the seal situation, XLH feels moved because ever since her master departed to travel the world, no one had ever been so kind to her. At one point, when DFQC makes a hundred flower congee for her, she sheds tears, tells him to stop treating her so kindly, and says that if someone drinks medicine every day, they will not think it’s bitter, but once they have a taste of candy, it will taste bitter. In XLH’s eyes, there will come a day when DFQC leaves her home, and she will be alone again. At that point, she will feel more lonely than ever because she would have had a taste of sweetness. 

By the time the story takes them to Cangyan Sea, the realm of the moon tribe, XLH has become DFQC’s captive. The love between the fairy and the devil is reminiscent of the western fairytale, Beauty and the Beast. When DFQC meets XLH on a bridge under the moon in Cangyan Sea, the wooden textured hair ornaments on DFQC’s hair look like the horns of a beast when their figures fade into silhouettes as they embrace. Additionally, the costume design and architecture in Cangyan Sea resemble the elven clothing and Rivendell in Lord of the Rings. In Beauty and the Beast, the beast is a selfish, arrogant prince who gradually becomes a good person because of Belle. XLH falls in love with DFQC despite his thorns and outward demeanor. She restores his seven emotions, which were forcefully ripped from his soul at a young age to master Ye Huo, a vital piece to conquering the three realms. Once when DFQC and XLH attended a lantern festival in Lu City of the mortal realm, XLH wished that even if she is not by his side, DFQC would have brothers, friends, and someone to love him. DFQC later has all those things because of XLH. Like the beast, DFQC undergoes a period of change. All in all, Love Between Fairy and Devil is a fusion between eastern and western fantasy elements.

I've been thinking all along that this is the xianxia version of Beauty and the Beast, I guess I'm not alone!

There are many parts that resemble the fairy tale like the ones you described, I noticed it when I first saw their character settings and also the part where DFQC locks up XLH at Moon Tribe. And then she redeems him at the end with her love.