Hi, I don't know if I'm the only one, but honestly, Cheng Pingping is my favorite character after watching both seasons.

He is an interesting, multi-dimensional character who both manipulates and looks after FX. Among the old generation, apart from FJ, I think he is the nicest character. True, I don't think he's a good person - in the world presented to us in JoL, there are hardly any good people at all, but I like him the most. He's an interesting, gray character and isn't... a hypocrite like FX is in most cases. CP seems to me to be convinced of his "being an evil character" and feels good about it, using everything he has at his fingertips to do what he set out to do. Even if it destroys many lives in the process. He values the lives of those who are with him and are important to him much more than other, random people. 

What do you think about this character?
I'd love to hear your opinion, or maybe I'm interpreting it completely wrong, maybe I was deceived by him >.<

ChengPP is a very cunning, manipulative, scheming genius character. His brain works very similarly as Fan Xian. It is more obvious in the novel that CPP considers FX as his son. He never failed protecting FX. He is not what he seems to be in season 3. Be prepared! 

Note. Perfect actor, perfect character.

CPP is great. He knows he isn't a good person, he is slowly teaching FX the way of politics, schemes, and even how to live. He told FX to trust no one, even himself. You can't get a better mentor than CPP. Besides Wu Zhu, no one love FX like CPP IMO.

That in itself is probably relates to how Ye Qing Mei (YQM) used to treat CPP. She treated him like a real person when everyone else's was afraid of him. Imagine, 20 years of pretense for revenge, that's CPP loyalty.

Period_addict:

ChengPP is a very cunning, manipulative, scheming genius character. His brain works very similarly as Fan Xian. It is more obvious in the novel that CPP considers FX as his son. He never failed protecting FX. He is not what he seems to be in season 3. Be prepared! 

Note. Perfect actor, perfect character.

Regarding the actor - true, I didn't mention it, but
Wu Gang is completely inextricably linked to this character for me. I don't know if this character would have made such an impression on me if he had been played by someone else. I'm reading a book now and I read every sentence that CPP says, hearing his voice in the back of my head.
Wu Gang has such a subtly addictive voice, the kind that tells you "burn the world for me" and you can't say no to him :) I need to watch other dramas with this actor (I've already seen Under the microscope and it was brilliant, he still stole every scene!). 

I can't wait for the next season. I'm sure I'll have finished reading the book by then, but I'll watch it anyway :) I've already received a spoiler on how CPP's story ends in the book - I hope they change it in the series.

And speaking of which, CPP treats FX like its son. In my eyes, FX is the son of FJ and CPP. Fuck the emperor. He's an asshole and doesn't deserve any child (he fucked up all the princes' lives just because he's bored). Let's forget about YQM, FX doesn't even remember it. He is the son of CPP and FJ. They both care about his future and safety, they often work against each other, but... it also looks more like friendly arguments, not an actual fight for power :P 

JustAnotherFan:

CPP is great. He knows he isn't a good person, he is slowly teaching FX the way of politics, schemes, and even how to live. He told FX to trust no one, even himself. You can't get a better mentor than CPP. Besides Wu Zhu, no one love FX like CPP IMO.

That in itself is probably relates to how Ye Qing Mei (YQM) used to treat CPP. She treated him like a real person when everyone else's was afraid of him. Imagine, 20 years of pretense for revenge, that's CPP loyalty.

Exactly. I love this moment when CPP tells FX not to trust anyone, and then (during the diplomatic mission to QI) FX starts to understand that CPP actually controlled him and set up everything that was happening in his life and it's like "Don't trust anyone" >.<

CPP is somewhere inside, beneath the many layers of traps, thorns and danger, a really nice person. I would like to get some memories from his youth with YQM, but I probably won't delve into these topics. I adore him. And I admire the path he has taken. She is a truly multi-dimensional, deep character.

In general, even the way he looks and addresses FX - I am completely on his side and even if he murders half the world, I will defend him.

My favorite pose, my favorite actor.

Wu Gang has such an amazing, calm, melodic voice that makes it really hypnotizing and makes you want to listen to it... 

I'm right there with you, completely in agreement! :)

Wu Gang has one of the most expressive facial expressions I have seen in an actor, or maybe it's because I cared very much about him in the drama. He stares, and the person is dead. LOL.

I'm glad you're reading the novel. You will understand the nuances and differences. I believe they cast everyone correctly with few exceptions (Ye'Ler). I just cannot picture another Fan Xian or CPP, or FJ, second prince, Niang Wang, or even the emperor.

I won't spoil your fun about CPP. The only thing I can tell you is that he never once betrayed FX. And in the novel, FX never doubted CPP.