Hello everybody!

This discussion thread will be the place where you'll find frequently asked questions for said drama, novel and also the leading casts. Hopefully, this will provide useful information to current and future viewers~

FAQ's about the drama / novel
1. How many realms are there altogether?
  • Please refer to this thread for the explanation of the realms. 
2. Who did Yandan ended up with?
  • In the novel, Yandan ended up with Yumo. However, it's being said beforehand that there are many changes to the drama, so the ending might not follow as per book.
3. Is it true that the ML is actually Yumo and not Yingyuan?
  • Yes, it's true. In the novel, Yumo is the ML whereas Yingyuan is the second ML.
  • From hearsay, the original author wanted Yandan and Yingyuan be together in the end, but her readers threw a fit and protested against it because Yingyuan treated her poorly, while Yumo catered to her and was there for her all the times. So, the author succumbed to her fans/readers' pressure and wish, shifted gear and changed the couple to Yumo and Yandan (taken from Sakie's comment)
  • Because there is a lot of misunderstanding/confusion on who is ML and who is 2ML, I'm going to leave this here.
    In the novel - ML is Yumo, 2ML is Yingyuan
    In the drama - ML is Yingyuan, 2ML is Yumo
4. Is Tangzhou the same person as Yingyuan? 
  • Yes, Tangzhou is Yingyuan in the Mortal Realm. However, he doesn't retain his memories and needs to retrieve four missing artifacts which were lost during the Celestial-Demon War to get back his memories. 
5. Where can I read the translated novel?
  • You can read it here. A user from MDL has kindly help to translate it. However, it's not fully translated yet as she is busy with real life commitments. Do be patient~
6. Is this drama a slow burn romance?
  • They love each other really early, but it's hard for them to be together because of love and responsibilities (taken from Anlly Quintero's comment)
  • They'll only get together in the 2 special episodes.
7. Wait, is episode 59 really the ending? 
  • It was initially a 59 episode drama, but Youku came out with 2 special episodes after that. 
  • Summary and explanation of the ending can be found here. It is advisable to watch the entire drama first, before jumping to conclusions :)
8. Why are the airing days different from what is stated on MDL?
  • Episodes were released for nine days straight from 20 July to 29 July 2022
  • From 3rd week onwards: Mon-Wed 18:00 (2 eps), Thurs (1 ep) for Youku VIP members. 
  • Mon-Fri (1 ep) for non-VIP
  • Part 2 airs from 18 August to 2 September 2022
  • 2 special episodes were released on 7 September 2022

FAQ's about the leads / cast
1. Are both Cheng Yi and Yang Zi close?
  • They are long time friends since the filming of Legend of Chusen. They were also known as hotpot buddies, and to know how close they still are today, just take a look at their behind-the-scenes for Immortal Samsara. Both of them are in tandem when it comes to teasing each other on set.
2. How come I keep seeing the same repeated actors and actresses in Cheng Yi's dramas?
  • Many of these actors/actresses are from the same company called Huanrui. Yang Zi stepped out from Huanrui on 15th November 2021, making Immortal Samsara the last drama she acted under the company. 
3. Is it okay for me to ship the leads together?
  • Well, this is up to individual. However, please practice proper conduct at all times because these are real life people. It's alright to ship characters but it's not advisable to ship the person. Things usually get out of hand, resulting fandom wars and a whole big mess. 

A small announcement: For those who are interested in Cheng Yi and would like to know more, or discuss (and fangirl) his dramas, feel free to join the MDL Cheng Yi Fandom Club here~ Unfortunately, there's no clubs for Yang Zi as of yet.

Reserved for future use

Thank you so much for this! ?❤️

Yang zi and Cheng yi interaction both like friend.. they are childish together.. hehehhee..

Oh wow I did not know that the novel author wanted YY and YD to be together but shifted gears at the end. I read on Weibo that she has come out and said that she wishes she had rewritten the ending to be that way. No wonder the Immortal Samsara script flows so naturally despite being so different from the novel. This is probably because author  has the original ending written somewhere and knows exactly where in her story she needs to change in order to make it make sense.  If you have been watching Chinese periods drama (especially dramas adapted from novel), you know rarely the script changes drastically from original novel because scriptwriters can only change so much without turning it into a completely different story. 

ennea:

Thank you so much for this! ?❤️

Very welcome! Just doing my bit to help out (๑ > ᴗ < ๑)

DramaObsessed:

Yang zi and Cheng yi interaction both like friend.. they are childish together.. hehehhee..

They are adorable with each other! Love their teasing irl~ („ᵕᴗᵕ„)

GillianVarios:
If you have been watching Chinese periods drama (especially dramas adapted from novel), you know rarely the script changes drastically from original novel because scriptwriters can only change so much without turning it into a completely different story. 

I think many of the dramas adapted from novels nowadays differ drastically. I've seen the changes from WRTW and even from L&R  (❛ ֊ ❛)

awkward potato:
I think many of the dramas adapted from novels nowadays differ drastically. I've seen the changes from WRTW and even from L&R  (❛ ֊ ❛)

Oh haha you mentioned the two that I did not watch at all :D so I can't comment. What were the receptions for those? I heard book fans usually prefer book version..I guess this is the same for IS as well. 

GillianVarios:

Oh haha you mentioned the two that I did not watch at all :D so I can't comment. What were the receptions for those? I heard book fans usually prefer book version..I guess this is the same for IS as well. 

I didn't go in depth for L&R as I wasn't part of the crowd back then, but what I've read from some of the novel readers was that ML (Yu Sifeng) did not actually get tortured like what was being portrayed in the drama. I'd guess they added more 'spice' to the storyline  (ˊᗜˋ)"  This drama became a hit in 2020, bringing upon fame and recognition to Cheng Yi, who is actually a veteran actor of nearly a decade old (surprise, surprise!)

For WRTW, there were mixed receptions because the drama differs very differently from the novel, so novel readers tend to see it as a separate entity. 

awkward potato:

I didn't go in depth for L&R as I wasn't part of the crowd back then, but what I've read from some of the novel readers was that ML (Yu Sifeng) did not actually get tortured like what was being portrayed in the drama. I'd guess they added more 'spice' to the storyline  (ˊᗜˋ)"  This drama became a hit in 2020, bringing upon fame and recognition to Cheng Yi, who is actually a veteran actor of nearly a decade old (surprise, surprise!)

For WRTW, there were mixed receptions because the drama differs very differently from the novel, so novel readers tend to see it as a separate entity. 

WRTW lets be honest, both sides hates it. Ppl said Zhao LuSi ooc-ed and is not like the FL at all

awkward potato:

Oh I remember L&R. Back in 2020 I was so deep in TMOPL and EL and I could not get over the bangs in L&R lol. I know, such trivial matters but I just can't lol. However my Douyin feed was full of SiFeng throwing up blood. Fangirls were all over him like how they are right now with the image of white hair injured YingYuan Dijun.  He/ChengYi was called the King of Vomitting blood then. I thought the title was funny but now watching IS, I see the title is so fitting. 

GillianVarios:

Oh wow I did not know that the novel author wanted YY and YD to be together but shifted gears at the end. I read on Weibo that she has come out and said that she wishes she had rewritten the ending to be that way. No wonder the Immortal Samsara script flows so naturally despite being so different from the novel. This is probably because author  has the original ending written somewhere and knows exactly where in her story she needs to change in order to make it make sense.  If you have been watching Chinese periods drama (especially dramas adapted from novel), you know rarely the script changes drastically from original novel because scriptwriters can only change so much without turning it into a completely different story. 

wait do u have the link??

what is her weibo anyways??

GillianVarios:
Oh I remember L&R. Back in 2020 I was so deep in TMOPL and EL and I could not get over the bangs in L&R lol. I know, such trivial matters but I just can't lol. However my Douyin feed was full of SiFeng throwing up blood. Fangirls were all over him like how they are right now with the image of white hair injured YingYuan Dijun.  He/ChengYi was called the King of Vomitting blood then. I thought the title was funny but now watching IS, I see the title is so fitting. 

good times good times

Euphoria:

wait do u have the link??

No link anymore but a Vietnamese translation from a cropped original posting of the  author's blog:

Translation for the green box on the left (which is a translation of author's block on the right):

Author (SuMo) said: "If I could rewritten (the novel) I would omit the failed first love, so they can have a happy ending, love comes quietly, but love is deep and long lasting. The first love, the best person is always the same."