I'm currently writing an Article where I am creating a remake of a korean drama. I need help for 'casting' some of the characters.

In your opinion what are the best older male Chinese actors and why ?

age range is 40s-65

Character Descriptions

1. A  Head General who starts a revolution and becomes Emperor of a new dynasty

2. A low ranking General who is the Head Generals son and later becomes Prince of this new Kingdom - he is seen by society as an evil man 

Chen Kun was the first one to come to mind.  He has the look and good acting. But it has to depend on which type of characters that you are 'casting' for though. Chang Chen and Zhao Li Xin might be  good choices too. If you are considering late 30's too, Hu Ge and Wang Kai may be good choices.

DramaDrama:

Chen Kun was the first one to come to mind.  He has the look and good acting. But it has to depend on which type of characters that you are 'casting' for though. Chang Chen and Zhao Li Xin might be  good choices too. If you are considering late 30's too, Hu Ge and Wang Kai may be good choices.

I'm looking for actors for 2 roles. 

1. A  Head General who starts a revolution and becomes Emperor of a new dynasty

2. A low ranking General who is the Head Generals son and later becomes Prince of this new Kingdom - he is seen by society as an evil man 

1. General
    • Wang Ying quan (?) - he usually plays supporting roles but each single time, i am drawn to this awesome thespian. He just has that presence 
    • Anthony wong (58 y/o)- one of the versatile actors in chinese entertainment land
    • chow yun fat (64 y/o) - definitely the first chinese actor i knew of. And has only become awesome over the years
  2. Son of general
    • Jin Dong (43 y/o) - since the role you are looking for is the son of above general and needs to have a very strong aura. Definitely will pick jin dong for that role. He as the gravitas to play such role. 
    • Liu Ye (42 y/o)  - has such range, though ive only seen a few projects. Ive always been blown away by him
    • wallace hou (40 y/o) - seen him since at dolphin bay days, and it has been interesting how much he changed since then. He totally can play evil guy
 Czakhareina:
  1. General
    • Wang Ying quan (?) - he usually plays supporting roles but each single time, i am drawn to this awesome thespian. He just has that presence 
    • Anthony wong (58 y/o)- one of the versatile actors in chinese entertainment land
    • chow yun fat (64 y/o) - definitely the first chinese actor i knew of. 
  2. Son of general
    • Jin Dong (43 y/o) - since the role you are looking for is the son of abive general and needs to have a very steong aura. Definitely will pick jin dong for that role. He as the gravitas to play such role. 
    • Liu Ye (42 y/o)  - has such range, though ive only seen a few projects. Ive always been blown away by him
    • wallace hou (40 y/o) - seen him since dolphin bay days, and it has been interesging how much he changed since then. He torally can play evil guy

thank you I was also considering Jing Dong to play the son of general but I've only seen him in Surgeons so I wasn't sure if he would suit the role or not. Do you have any drama references of his you think would be the reason he's suitable for the role ?

Also I haven't seen Liu Ye in anything but visually he suits the role.  Do you have any drama references of his you think would be the reason he's suitable for the role ?

He, Jin Dong usually plays dramas with quite some gravitas. And Surgeons is probably his most fluffy role. 

Anyway as reference, definitely check him out in The Disguiser, with a second-sino war setting. He plays older brother to Hu Ge and Wang Kai. He is a general or some kind of high ranking military figure with such presence. 

If you are not into those types of dramas, check him out in Ode to Joy. He was a supporting role but he was definitely quite a figure in that. 

The most recent drama ive seen him is The Best Partner. He had himself the Harvey Specter (The Suits) swagger. I loved him in this drama. Just speck and span clean cut and swagged. 

As for Liu Ye. He is not as popular as the other are but just watch All Quiet in Biejing. That drama starts out so boring, but just watch him. He is so good. But sadly, the subtitle for it is pretty hard to come by, after netflix took it off their list. I do thinks its availabe in YT. 

Old Boy is probably the drama that is easier to find with subtitle.

Also try watching him in the movie A Beautiful Life with Shu Qi. He was younger then, and probably not projecting the type of aura you are looking for in a generals son turned evil, but he was awesome in this with Shu Qi.

Well it'sZhou Run Fa by a mile. Cold War 2 is one of his better modern films and the list goes on forever if you count his films from the 80's and 90's. Dude is a legend. 

My suggestion is Zhang Zhen for the first one. He has the looks for a general and emperor.