This is discussion place for those who want to discuss the difference between original and drama adaptation.

So, I make this discussion thread so that we as original fans (novel or donghua) could complain without disrupting the positive vibe in the main discussion page. As I see it, there are lots of complain from both drama and actor fans toward us, telling us basically to shut up and bring our complain to the author and Tencent instead since we are disrupting the peace of drama discussion. 

Honestly, I am appalled of this kind of request because we as International fans have limited to no access to the author and Tencent. And I am pretty sure those original fans in China already do so. These kind of request toward International fans are very harsh in my opinion and uncalled for. However, I do understand the need for us to discuss and share our grievance with each other toward what this drama could have been. So, I thought perhaps we can move our discussion in special thread instead, thus we will not bother those who don't want to see our complain.

Douluo Dalu is my first ever xuanhuan novel. It was my first time reading such novel with a cultivation system akin to game leveling. I was excited when reading the news that this novel will get adaptation, and seeing Xiao Zhan starring in it. I hope to see a good acting and adaptation. But I also had my reservation since I have seen how Fight Break Sphere was butchered beyond recognition. 

Currently, I have not watched this drama in detail, just clips here and there. My first impression:

1. The change regarding hidden weapon is still can be accepted even though I hope the drama could find better way.

2. Tang San is too whinny to my liking. I don't see him as dependable character. 

3. The fighting scene choreography is bad. The actor/actress body language are so stiff. 

4. What is the purpose of Hu Lie Na in shrek academy?????

5. Spider CGI is ugly. I don't see the might of the beast. The coloring is to blame in my opinion. 

6. Clear sky hammer is ugly. And I don't like how Tang San just throw it ala Thor when fighting against Acala. I don't think the hammer ever be used like that? Please do correct me if I am wrong. It has been long since I have read the novel, so lots of detail escape me 

7. The actor plays as Ma Hong Jun looks very young compared with Tang San. ..... Honestly, Xiao Zhan looks so old in this drama. 

So, there are a few of my impression thus far. Please share yours. Do discuss and complain to your heart's content.

I sooooo agree to that Whinny Tang San thing!! Actor fans kept defending that saying they prefer tha. Idk if that's cuz it's Xiao Zhan or actually their sincere thought. I think the former. (It's not like I'm attacking Xiao Zhan, why r they so salty!!) Tang San plays a big role when Sherk 7 fights as a team with his control system and honestly, the current Tang San isn't dependable at all. I would rather go solo than fight in the same team as him. Anyways, they destroyed my Tang San. They destroyed all that he fought for in his past life with that single change.

Also, did u say BiBi Dong's little spawn is in Sherk??

And yes that spider's coloring is horrible.

And Ao ZiYi (Ma HongJun) is 18 and the rest of the actors are in their 20s. That is a huge age gap. Not to mention he isn't much an actor tbh. I've seen a bit of the TF Family's Obsessed with Hearts and the actings are barely passing. Did the director take a bribe from the better-dead-than-alive Time FengJun??

Why, oh why did they adapt this knowing rebirth is not allowed?? (Assuming it is, cuz I dont believe it)

After all this time I just came to the realization that he does not have the Moonlit Bridge. I'm pretty sure that means they're giving up on showing much of his projectile skills or hidden weapon gadgets despite learning the Xuan Tian Records even in the drama. I think Tang San building the wrist arm hidden weapon was just a  nod to the original fans but it feels so out of place as I don't think we're ever going to see his other gadgets even his more plausible ones to adapt; it's going to confuse some new viewers for sure because he just randomly made it. 

Oh here's something I posted before in the comments but lmk what you guys think:

So obviously the biggest change is that Tang San is not a reincarnation so his smarts and his tactical prowess is significantly lowered in comparison to book TS. His Xuan Tian abilities also are instead taught by his father which I think to new viewers might make them think not only his father but the Hao Tian clan knows how to perform Xuan Tian skills and craft hidden weapons as well.

Do you think we could've gotten a pseudo novel accurate Tang San if we had expanded upon the legend of Holy Spirit Village and made the Spirit Master of the legend actually the representation of novel Tang San. CDrama Tang San could find the Xuan Tian Records at the site of the monument or shrine dedicated to the legend and start training on his own from there. The Xuan Tian Records could function more as a diary of advice and skill book that influences Tang San's way of thinking and boom we get a more book accurate CDrama Tang San. He could train through the book in secret via throughout the series or through the four seasons scene they did in the beginning, just make it a montage. I personally like the former better because I think it's more exciting to see CDrama TS ascend into being the novel TS. He could also burn the book seeing it as its techniques can be dangerous in the wrong hands as his reason after learning or likewise his dad the same way they did in the drama for the same reason. This would definitely prop up this Spirit Master figure to be some figure in the drama's history which we can tack onto the Evil Phoenix War Story they added or even forget about it as some lost figure of a legend. 

So my idea isn't so much of it just being a tome filled with the skills, but also like think My Hero Academia s1 ep 1 where Deku has loads and loads of journals about how to go about situations with villains and how to act as hero. The tome could record more similarly about novel TS's past life. The effect is more so not just skills but sort of like if you were to take a philosophy class as well to change your thinking. In a sense, the tome/text is almost like a mentor due to it reading more like a diary recounting the life of this Spirit Master who's actually pseudo-novel-TS and his mistakes. So yes, even with this change CDrama TS would still be inexperienced but the idea would be that he's far more prepared and cautious as the tome would be like his first thread to the outside world. In such a way that he'd be more analytical about things the way novel TS always is.

It also fixes the problem of new viewers potentially thinking and expecting Tang Hao and the Hao Tian clan to be fully capable of the Xuan Tian Records. I see it as a problem because if they melded the Tang Clan and the Hao Tian clan together since Tang Hao teaches the Xuan Tian Records, that means hidden weapons already exist on the Continent, so people acting surprised at TS doing the same thing would immediately cause them to look dumb and it would also be an identifier of someone of the Hao Tian clan.

@OniBro well said. So many fine ways to do it but they give us this. Ppl acting this some great work just cuz Xiao Zhan is in it, but it's just a piece of crap full of plot holes. At least, some ppl fill plot holes (Ultimate Note) and others dig them ("DD")

I saw ur comments. Lol, Big Foot. And reading from u (Tho I can already predict it happening) they trashing a LOT of important plots/scenes. such a great novel and they adapted it into this 99 lines creation

PPL calling me a troll and telling me to walk away. *scoff* can they walk away from their loved one dying? come back to me when u can. if u can, then u aren't much of a person in the first place, thus dont come to me anyways

@onibro - yes, that works well. After all that fits the typical set up of many novels. In a way, it is similar to Lin Ming, who keeps picking up bits of souls from the cube. They are like a diary or an instruction book, there is no living person guiding him and he has to face the obstacles by himself. 

When I look at what is coming with the Ice and Fire Ying Yang well, Dugu Bo, Slaughter City (Chinese book fans are 99% certain Chinese laws and especially because it is being aired on CCTV will not allow for it), then all my other issues, I have to ask myself what was the point of "adapting" or rewriting Douluo Dalu in the first place? Anime and book fans aren't watching, so the original fans left a long time ago. New fans don't actually know anything about DD. Why destroy such a huge, rich IP? Word in China is that a lot of usual issues with script being potentially influenced have popped up. But it is a shame that the real beauty of DD remains hidden and drama fans are in the vast majority very resistant to the original because they feel the need to feel superior that is exacerbated by the complaints of original fans. So again, what was the point. What a waste. 

Shrimpy:
But it is a shame that the real beauty of DD remains hidden and drama fans are in the vast majority very resistant to the original because they feel the need to feel superior that is exacerbated by the complaints of original fans. So again, what was the point. What a waste. 

++1

@Shrimpy,

I bet they will have a more tame version of Slaughter City, otherwise why is Hu Lie Na even here? That's where she and Tang San get close and they are trying to make HLN a more important character. If they cut the whole Slaughter City arc they could just remove her character entirely.

Dugu Bo is on the cast list so I'd guess he will pop up in some capacity? He's one of my favorite characters, would be a shame if he got cut. I love him and Tang San's dynamic

Personally Tang San's gadgets were one of my favorite parts of the book, am really sad they've mostly being ignored in the drama. That scene where he unleashes the Bhudda's Wrath Lotus is so fucking hype

Singularity:
That scene where he unleashes the Bhudda's Wrath Lotus is so fucking hype

His Buddha's Wrath Lotus was something I was looking forward to..... *was*

Singularity:

@Shrimpy,

I bet they will have a more tame version of Slaughter City, otherwise why is Hu Lie Na even here? That's where she and Tang San get close and they are trying to make HLN a more important character. If they cut the whole Slaughter City arc they could just remove her character entirely.

Dugu Bo is on the cast list so I'd guess he will pop up in some capacity? He's one of my favorite characters, would be a shame if he got cut. I love him and Tang San's dynamic

Personally Tang San's gadgets were one of my favorite parts of the book, am really sad they've mostly being ignored in the drama. That scene where he unleashes the Bhudda's Wrath Lotus is so fucking hype

Dugu Bo is there but Tang San has no knowledge of poisons. Considering Xiao Wu gets poisoned, Tang San cannot help her then possibly Dugu Bo will play a part in that. The whole original plot with DB, which is my favourite part of the first half of the novel along with hidden weapons doesn't seem possible. Ice and Fire Ying Yang Well is changed as well. Xiao Wu is again present so who the heck knows. 

About Slaughter City, all I can tell you is what the Chinese book fans are currently thinking in some places - it is perhaps Tang Chen, not Tang Hao who is connected to mutating souls so this is also perhaps why Hu Liena is here. No Slaughter City at all but this potential new plot. But they are not sure obviously. At this point considering all the changes and completely original material, it is impossible to guess. 

Glad to see lively discussion here. First of all, Happy Chinese New Year for those of you that celebrate!!

@Euphoria

Ultimate Note is a very apt representation of what original fans could and would go when they get an adaptation that respect them. That drama literally has no traffic actor but still flourish thanks to the hard work of the original fans. There, original fans and drama fans also passer by respected each other and join hands in making the drama more popular and working hard for 2nd season to be able to be realized. Here? We are at each other throat. Honestly, I am not sure whether the fans that shooed us away are truly drama fans or actor fans in disguise. Sigh ......

As of now, I don't have high hope for this drama. I see this MV that more or less showing the fighting scene that we will have in this drama. I see one scene of the 7 devils fighting against Bibi Dong. It is not pretty. And idiotic. Because Bibi Dong is a titled Douluo, she is more than capable to swat 7 devils as pest easily ..... if the drama is following the novel timeline. Also, is it only me who think the fighting scene to be ugly?

Tang San pose and choreography when he uses hidden weapon is so stiff. Coming fresh from Ultimate Note with its great fighting scene (thanks to the actor himself has foundation in martial arts and dancing), the fighting of Tang San and Zang Wu Ji is just ...... ugly (I cannot find better words). It just like the opponent is standing still while waiting for Tang San does his things. Xiao Wu fighting scene is also no better.

Regarding Ma Hong Jun actor, so it is because he is truly that young. Because it seems so unbalance when they stand together. He just looks out of place there. Could the drama use an older actor????? Since they are already fix on Xiao Zhan as Tang San, they should match the other characters actor to him.

I really hope that Mr. Screenwriter knows where he is taking this story. I accept that TS can't have memories of a past life but was it necessary to add so many random plots for seemingly no reason? If they have good payoff I'll accept it but every episode gives me less hope.

I honestly don't know what they're going to be planning to do with the Dugu Bo and TS dynamic. He most definitely is going be involved in curing XW. He might even be the one who teaches TS about poisons. It also seems like they made Lande and Xiaogang dumb again because neither of them know who Dugu Bo is. I don't understand why the screenwriter feels the need to make them dumb when he can take the opportunity to hype up the old snake right then and there through Lande and Xiaogang. Doing so would also build the world up a bit more because we're severely lacking in that front in the drama by this point. Considering that Dugu Bo is a Titled Douluo associated with the Tian Dou empire as well, it makes it harder to swallow that they don't know who he is, so I'm guessing that must've either been scrapped or DB is no longer a Titled Douluo in the adaptation. Everyone seems to know the Golden Triangle but the Golden Triangle knows no one...

I don't know how they're going to do Slaughter City. It's most definitely going to be far more tame. I'm even willing to bet we won't be seeing Slaughter City at all because Star Village is already a more tame pseudo version and that's where all this genetic altering drug led to in the first place. Worst case scenario the Death God Domain might be cut or he gets it through the screenwriter's magical drug from his sci-fi flick disguised as mutating his martial soul. I think this because the Death God Domain can influence your killing intent and make you go berserk, and a person that did go berserk is drama Ma Hong Jun. So maybe it's like a perfected drug or something and Tang Chen pushes TS to the brink to take it because it does indeed feel that Tang Chen is being setup as a villain to fight. Tang Chen might also be nerfed if we take this route.  

Rewatched episode 15 because I remembered something. Why does Tang San have the poison bottle? He very cleared gets poisoned by the bottle at the end of episode 15, but there is only one poison bottle, I'm pretty sure, and Lande the dean has it which they very clearly showed  at the beginning of ep 15.  So.... there's most definitely a mistake in the script here because there is no logical reason why Lande and XG would allow TS to handle the poison after everything. Unless there's actually a cut scene somewhere as well.... Unless I missed that there were two poison bottles, but why would Lande and XG even allow TS to handle it knowing his desperation...