Shrimpy:

You are presuming that it will be like in the book. But Wang Juan has clearly said that he wrote a twist for the ending of the story. If you look at his previous work, he left Joy of Life with a cliffhanger. So I am willing to bet this will have one too. This guy has a huge ego. 

Ok.  But from what I understood the "twist" wouldn't be revealed until the ending of the entire story, so I don't see how it's relevant to the ending place of S1.  I suppose TH's rescue and the sacrifice could be left out/reworked--nothing would surprise me at this point--but those would be HUGE omissions.  Sounds like this guy has no qualms about screwing over fans with cliffhangers lol.

Major:
What I meant was, Tang Hao's rescue and the Sacrifice are both inherently ending places that will leave fangirls/boys of this feel like they're left hanging, not necessarily because of the quality of the arcs.

Ah, I see. I personally think the drama will end in Tang Hao rescue and Xiao Wu leaving Tang San. Sacrifice could not be done yet since Xiao Wu is his 6th spirit ring. And now, Tang San still has not gotten his 4th ring yet. We don't have enough episode. By the way, what do you mean by SG? 

Shrimpy:
But Wang Juan has clearly said that he wrote a twist for the ending of the story.

I will take this with a grain of salt. Watching his creation thus far in Douluo Continent, nothing impressed me. If else, I deemed him to be not understand what makes xuanhuan a popular genre among male population. He practically removed everything that made douluo dalu awesome and changed it with something akin to sob story.

Major:

Ok.  But from what I understood the "twist" wouldn't be revealed until the ending of the entire story, so I don't see how it's relevant to the ending place of S1.  I suppose TH's rescue and the sacrifice could be left out/reworked--nothing would surprise me at this point--but those would be HUGE omissions.  Sounds like this guy has no qualms about screwing over fans with cliffhangers lol.

He was talking about s1, not the whole story. He even said there might be a s2, currently he seems to have no plans for it meaning he wrote s1 without thinking much about it. This guy has an ego, huge ego. It's the worst kind of writer for adaptations because he thinks he is better than the original and will accordingly fix it. 

Remember that the Chinese have a theory that this is all a dream or a hallucination of Tang San's because of the first episode. Who knows what this guy is capable of. I don't think he cares at all if it is a big change. He probably wants it. Looking at the current on demand episodes it's probably related to the tournament. I doubt very much it will be as simple as Tang Hao's donghua moment. Another thing to mourn, that was so cool. 

@Shrimpy

Ahhh gotcha.  Now it makes more sense, thnx.  Wow...now I want to keep watching just to see how bad they can **** this up Lmao.

@Shrimpy

Definitely feels like another Game of Thrones, "Subvert expectations," meme and anyone who's seen that knows what happened to that dumpster fire. A lotta people also seem to be putting blame on the author, but considering Tencent already had the IP from the donghua, I'd assume he can't really do much unless he wants to risk relations in any way. No matter how you look at it, the author doesn't have that much power in his shoes other than not giving his blessings (just like George R.R. Martin) which holds no merit to him from a business view, especially since this is Mainland China. Nonetheless, the screenwriter taking this route definitely spells huge ego. Haven't seen JoL, but this definitely turns me off from it cause it just seems like he's riding that "high" from the JoL praise, and if this is his writing, I can't expect much at all. I already have loads of problems even if this drama was a standalone unrelated to the source from a writing perspective.  

@Xien_Rue

I imagine @Major must mean the Sea God Trials arc (SG). A huge arc that gives the biggest power up to the cast in the entire series. 

Yup the Sea God trials.  That's gonna be a CGI nightmare LOL.

Just got to episode 25... minor point but I'm kinda disappointed the Tian Dou crown prince is a douche in this version? I really liked how he was super nice and humble for most of the book only to be revealed as a villain, was one of the only things in the novel to surprise me. This guy I immediately want to punch in the face. 

I guess they removed the whole thing about Qian Renxue disguised as the prince so there's no reason for him to appear likeable? 

Or maybe the actor just has a punchable face, not sure

Edit: NVM about that part about Qian Renxue lol

Ah I see. SG as in Sea God, hahahaha. My bad

I have never watched JoL, only got to watch a few clips and never understand the charm of that drama. People out there literally using Wang Juan reputation to defend this drama against the onslaught from original fans. I don't like this situation one bit. Because what I currently see certainly only show the scriptwriter inadequacy. 

Honestly, this scriptwriter name, along with the director name of Reunion: The Sound of Providence are entering by black list.

Sorry, but I  need to rant here. Did some of us complain about the drama in negative way ever since I created this thread???? I don't understand why there are still ugly comments complaining about us in the main thread. I know there are still some of us that still comments here and there in the main thread and there are some who are still hell bent in sharing their opinion regarding the difference between drama and original (I see only apocalib that doing this but her comments are pretty mild) in the main thread instead of moving here. But, all of your comments in the main thread mainly are positive and helpful to those who are confused with the drama plot. I actually praise your patience and benevolence amidst the bad treatment.

What is those drama fans problem? I have never seen this kind of situation in other drama thread in MDL.

Lol, literally I edit and re-edit all of my comments whenever I leave them to make them more acceptable for non-book people so if they're still offended by my opinions then that's their issue tbh. 

It comes down to some folks being needlessly offended and thinking that just because one is expressing their disappointment in an adaptation, that means they're ruining a drama and targeting the actors. I'm a huge fan of XZ but that doesn't mean I need to like every drama he's in. TBH, they keep saying they're having their experiences ruined but lol, join the club, so are we? 

I just finished ep31 and my disappointment has only increased. I don't like how they're just throwing a character here and there when they see fit. 

(Also, I had no idea the rant thread was here. I'm fairly new to MDL so I didn't know threads existed in a separate area x.x)

apocalib:
Also, I had no idea the rant thread was here. I'm fairly new to MDL so I didn't know threads existed in a separate area x.x

Ah, I see. Sorry to not make it clearer to you (because I remember I reply to your comments in the main thread to invite you here), hahahahahaha. I mainly created this thread to protect ourselves so that we can complain to our heart content without being scolded by others. Because I saw lots of you were scolded before I made this thread. 

Honestly I am still lagging behind in this drama. But I already skip forward and watching the team battle in episode 23 and 24. The team battle logic is so chaotic in my opinion and the choreography is in a mess. As far as I know, in the novel, it basically stated that support branch like Oscar and Ning Rong Rong must be protected because they would be their weak link. But in the drama, both of them literally left to their own device. And they won because of hidden weapon, not because of Tang San genius in strategizing. It left bad taste in my mouth. 

I read some comment in douban (Chinese IMDB) that the popularity of the anime actually increasing once they got into tournament arc and I am agree that the tournament arc in the anime is amazing. Sadly, they could not transfer that cool arc to this drama.

Xien_Rue:
I read some comment in douban (Chinese IMDB) that the popularity of the anime actually increasing once they got into tournament arc and I am agree that the tournament arc in the anime is amazing. Sadly, they could not transfer that cool arc to this drama.

Exactly why I'm so bitter, actually. In ep31, we get their first fight against Tian Dou Academy's Second Team and lol, they had Dai Mu Bai ASLEEP because he's recuperating from absorbing his fourth soul ring (along with Fatty). They also almost basically skipped the entirety of them actually fighting the soul beasts to get their soul rings so it makes me wonder if their budget for CGI was low and they had to cut out a lot of the beasts. They had Oscar and Rong Rong fight one on one to with their devices (which are suddenly allowed btw in the tournament) and Zhu Zhu Qing as well until Tang San makes his sudden appearance (was also MIA because he was training his fourth soul ring in the cold/fire springs). They've changed all the exciting action sequences and swapped it for what? 

Xien_Rue:
Ah, I see. Sorry to not make it clearer to you (because I remember I reply to your comments in the main thread to invite you here), hahahahahaha. I mainly created this thread to protect ourselves so that we can complain to our heart content without being scolded by others. Because I saw lots of you were scolded before I made this thread. 

Oh, no worries, not your fault. I remember seeing your comment and was confused is all haha but I saw your reply just now to someone else so I went to go look and finally saw it xD I'm too slow about these things. Perhaps if I didn't decide to start watching the donghua or reading the manhua, I wouldn't be so upset with the drama but regardless of everything, there's too many pacing issues and plot holes to make this drama good. 

Xien_Rue:

Sorry, but I  need to rant here. Did some of us complain about the drama in negative way ever since I created this thread???? I don't understand why there are still ugly comments complaining about us in the main thread. I know there are still some of us that still comments here and there in the main thread and there are some who are still hell bent in sharing their opinion regarding the difference between drama and original (I see only apocalib that doing this but her comments are pretty mild) in the main thread instead of moving here. But, all of your comments in the main thread mainly are positive and helpful to those who are confused with the drama plot. I actually praise your patience and benevolence amidst the bad treatment.

What is those drama fans problem? I have never seen this kind of situation in other drama thread in MDL. 

Believe me, this behavior is par for the course.  Actually, this is super tame comparatively--I've seen some really entertaining fights on MDL LOL.  There's nothing you can do though.  The most rabid stans have skin thinner than Tanjugo paper; any criticism will be met with a shutdown attempt, which is why IDGAF whether I offend them.  Those that want to engage with me in the arena of ideas and logic, great.  But I'm not gonna self-censor and hide in corner just because some fanboy is butt hurt and can't debate.  The WHOLE POINT of a discussion board devoted to an artistic endeavor is critical review and opinion.  And unless it tolerates open and unrestrained free speech, it's completely useless.  Once you start censoring criticism at any level, literally anything can be labelled hateful/unacceptable by the super-sensitive.  And voila, you're cancelled..  

apocalib:
Exactly why I'm so bitter, actually. In ep31, we get their first fight against Tian Dou Academy's Second Team and lol, they had Dai Mu Bai ASLEEP because he's recuperating from absorbing his fourth soul ring (along with Fatty). They also almost basically skipped the entirety of them actually fighting the soul beasts to get their soul rings so it makes me wonder if their budget for CGI was low and they had to cut out a lot of the beasts. They had Oscar and Rong Rong fight one on one to with their devices (which are suddenly allowed btw in the tournament) and Zhu Zhu Qing as well until Tang San makes his sudden appearance (was also MIA because he was training his fourth soul ring in the cold/fire springs). They've changed all the exciting action sequences and swapped it for what?

Wait, what the hell???? That particular fight is so so so exciting in the original either in novel or anime because it is like slapping the Tian Dou academy for expelling/rejecting them prior. Let me watch that episode and I will back to you.

@Major

Everytime I saw a poster comment in their high and mighty tone, preaching to us original fans who complains in the main thread, my anger just boiled. I don't want to waste my time dueling with them in repetitive argument which hold no value to the drama discussion. Thus I am ranting here instead. But, the existence of this thread would only containing the worst of our ranting and anger. I thought the drama fans would be okay with our milder comments that will only enrich the discussion in the main thread. But today there is this user who suddenly launched a tirade against us. 

Honestly, it is exactly those arrogant drama fans that incite me to give this drama low rating.