With the proliferation and popularity of BL dramas in Philippine Digital Media with an average of about 8 episodes and only shows it once every week plus I've also noticed leading streaming media for local content (iWant tv) having original dramas produced of again only 6-8 episodes. And in addition we're in a quarantine era where no new teleseryes have debuted in tv during 2020...

Do you think when we go back to "normal" aka post Covid19 era (give or take after 2 years) will we have a new system releasing filipino drama? like it will have less episodes and without the mon-fri schedule? maybe similar to thailand or korean dramas in length and running time?

It's just a thought that came out of my head after reading a few articles that have tackled this since a lot of people in the media talked about filipinos who started watching more kdramas in netflix during lockdown, add to the rise of filipino bl that shows this type of "short eps and once a week showing" can be successful

Note too that there's this popular digital series "He's into her" gonna be released in iWant tv next year with a similar format of a few episodes only and once a week release (which they did for hello strangers and four bad boys and me)

It makes you think that maybe this is the only chance we'll ever get in changing the filipino drama format. Thoughts?

Articles i've read:

https://mb.com.ph/2020/07/08/ph-directors-local-teleseryes-should-embrace-change/

https://www.philstar.com/opinion/2020/07/30/2031629/k-dramas-and-k-culture-shared-experience-between-philippines-and-korea-during-pandemic

https://www.bworldonline.com/what-did-filipinos-watch-during-the-lockdown-lots-of-k-drama-local-films-and-money-heist/

I don't really think so.

Ratings and reception usually dictate the success and longevity of a series in Philippines, and the main reason why it keeps on going is because shows are not canned. Perhaps, there could be a rise of 'shorter series' because of covid, which leads to shows being canned.

He's into her is produced by a network that is no longer in broadcast. And I presume that the network has a more flexibility and becoming more experimental since they had to think of ways to attract viewers either via its cable or streaming route. GMA, which is a broadcast network still continues to produce shows that are longer (and on-going filming). I believe Voltes V is probably a much shorter series because they are going to film and post-edit the whole thing before it gets aired.

The norm still up to this date in Philippines is people watch soap operas from Monday to Friday, about 20-30 minutes per episode, and usually run about 2-3 months.  More popular series would run an additional season or get extended by then, which is why you would see shows having at least 60 episodes and goes beyond 100 episodes (for popular ones). You have to think that network needs to fill their schedule with programs and it will be more economical for them to promote (ads, etc) a longer series rather than a shorter ones. In the case of He's Into Her is a different story, it's in a streaming platform so it does not have programming timeslots to fill in. And even in the case of ABSCBN (now in its cable network), they are still producing soap operas that are "lengthy".

So, generally speaking I doubt this will be the norm, but more of an exemption and could be 'special shows' and probably treated like a mini-series or long movie (much like some shows of this network where they air episodes on Saturday for 1 hour over a month or two - which is about 8 hours/8 episodes).