When and why did people start using "drama" to refer to Asian TV shows?

In theatre and film, "drama" refers to a particular genre, but in TV, "drama" refers to live-action TV shows of any genre (usually excluding things like weather and news).  Why does it include every genre, and why doesn't it include anime?

I remember one time I posted about "Asian dramas" on a movie forum, and someone thought I was talking about movies, but if I say "Asian dramas" on the MDL forum (or any Asian media website), everyone will know I'm talking about TV.

Why is "drama" mainly used for Asian TV shows?  When people talk about American or British TV, they usually say "TV show" or "TV series".  Occasionally people say "TV drama" or "TV program" but those are less common.

I know I was curious about this too when I started watching k-dramas. I googled it back then and found the info that the word isn’t derived from the English word drama, but from the Korean word 드라마 or deurama, which refers to any scripted television show.  At least that's what the Internet says lol.

you can read more about it here.

Thanks.  What about the Japanese word "dorama"?  Does it come from the English or Korean word?  Or is it a Japanese word?

I don't really know. And while we're at it, I have yet to see a japanese dorama :) I've only seen k-dramas and one c-drama, and that's about it. Let me know if you find out! :*