Hi everyone! I haven't watched many Chinese historical dramas so I wanted to ask for recommendations. I love Word Of Honor and I really enjoyed Joy Of Life, Ancient Detective and kind of The Untamed so if you know something which I might like based on these feel free to tell me (but please only recommend 1 or 2 dramas because otherwise I won't be able to decide xD).

L x Y:

Hi everyone! I haven't watched many Chinese historical dramas so I wanted to ask for recommendations. I love Word Of Honor and I really enjoyed Joy Of Life, Ancient Detective and kind of The Untamed so if you know something which I might like based on these feel free to tell me (but please only recommend 1 or 2 dramas because otherwise I won't be able to decide xD).

Hi, Okay I just give you 1 that is similar to the ones you mentioned. Fights Break Sphere  https://mydramalist.com/22170-fights-break-sphere  Hope you gonna enjoy it :) 

Edit: I saw you dropped it after 1 ep.,  too bad tho :(

L x Y:

I recommend some of these:

Shenmi:

Hi, Okay I just give you 1 that is similar to the ones you mentioned. Fights Break Sphere  https://mydramalist.com/22170-fights-break-sphere  Hope you gonna enjoy it :) 

Edit: I saw you dropped it after 1 ep.,  too bad tho :(

Thanks, I'll give it a try ^^ and yeah it's in my dropped list but only because back then I couldn't commit to a long drama & I wasn't in the mood for historicals 

Estelll:

I recommend some of these:

Oh I watched and loved the Korean adaption of the first one so I wasn't sure whether I should give it a try... I'm kind of scared of NIF but I guess it'll soon be the time to make my own opinion about it :D I  haven't heard anything/much of the third and fourth one before so I'll definitely check them out. Thanks for these recommendations! 

L x Y:

Oh I watched and loved the Korean adaption of the first one so I wasn't sure whether I should give it a try... I'm kind of scared of NIF but I guess it'll soon be the time to make my own opinion about it :D I  haven't heard anything/much of the third and fourth one before so I'll definitely check them out. Thanks for these recommendations! 

You're welcome!! :)

No need to be intimidated by NiF btw, it's a great drama!! The only thing that may be "scary" is that they introduce a lot of characters during the first 3-4 episodes, and it may be overwhelming at first, but stick with it (if you like) & it will be very rewarding in my opinion!!! ^_^

Hello everyone! How are you doing today? 

I want Anything similar to The story of Ming Lan Plsss!! I finished it like 4months ago and i'm still hangover..

Ive watched the sword and the barocade which ive found quite similar but stopped due to incomplete subtitles.

I've already watched yanxi palace and the princess wei young..

Thank you in advance.

Estelll:

You're welcome!! :)

No need to be intimidated by NiF btw, it's a great drama!! The only thing that may be "scary" is that they introduce a lot of characters during the first 3-4 episodes, and it may be overwhelming at first, but stick with it (if you like) & it will be very rewarding in my opinion!!! ^_^

Okay, I hope I'll like it :) 

I am very happy to find about this club. I have been watching historical drama series for a long time more than 10 years or so. I love watching mostly Korean and Chinese ones with a few Japanese, Hong Kong and Taiwanese ones.  My dream is more and more people would be able to get to know them and enjoy them especially in my country where I believe they aren't so known and loved because of the lack of Greek subtitles for many as well. I am part of the volunteer subtitiling community for more than 10 years as well. We currently are looking for English to Greek subtitlers because the series are too many and our volunteers are far from enough. Especially for historical ones. If you personally or someone you know could be interested in helping let me know. 

Finished Empress Ki yesterday, and can highly recommend it for those who haven’t seen it. 

Lina:

Hello everyone! How are you doing today? 

I want Anything similar to The story of Ming Lan Plsss!! I finished it like 4months ago and i'm still hangover..

Ive watched the sword and the barocade which ive found quite similar but stopped due to incomplete subtitles.

I've already watched yanxi palace and the princess wei young..

Thank you in advance.

I liked the Story of Yanxi Palace.  It’s  not quite the same, since it’s the palace but I actually preferred it to Ming Lan, which I haven’t been able to finish because it’s a little heavy for me. 

Rien:

Finished Empress Ki yesterday, and can highly recommend it for those who haven’t seen it. 

I’ve been wanting to watch it but the episode count scares me. 

A question for our history buffs - for The Sword and the Brocade (set in the Ming dynasty), WeTV posted the above image on their IG account and someone left this comment:

"the clothes and hat are korean traditional office man's wearings in joshun dynasty. why is he wearing them when he is acting a chinese character lived in china?" (I'm assuming "joshun" is referring to Joseon)

Is there anything to this claim? 

LucianYaz:

A question for our history buffs - for The Sword and the Brocade (set in the Ming dynasty), WeTV posted the above image on their IG account and someone left this comment:

"the clothes and hat are korean traditional office man's wearings in joshun dynasty. why is he wearing them when he is acting a chinese character lived in china?" (I'm assuming "joshun" is referring to Joseon)

Is there anything to this claim? 

https://totallyhistory.com/ming-dynasty-clothing/

The clothing worn by officials in Ming and Joseon were very similar. I think people are probably more used to seeing official clothing in Korean dramas than Chinese dramas.

This is a portrait of Joseon official. (Conserved at LACMA.)

This is a portrait of a Ming official. (Conserved at ROM.)

Different colors indicate different ranks. The embroidery designs on the square also indicate rank.