The truth is, the term "historical" used as the name of this club is actually a broad term that includes all costume dramas. See the quote of Estell's first post in this forum (the one who founded this club). A more apt name may be "costume" dramas. I think many people who joined this club also watch and enjoy xianxia and other subgenres, so let's not exclude them only because it's not really "historical".

Estelll:
For the purpose of this club, all dramas with a plot that takes place in a setting located in the past (as the mdl guidelines for the genre state), or with a plot that takes place in a setting that just resembles the past, e.g. in the manner of dressing, social conduct or rules, weaponry, etc., count.

Synonyms of historical dramas are period dramas, costume dramas, and more.

That’s right, it doesn’t matter if they’re set in a fictional land that resembles Imperial China, or Edo Japan, or in the Heavenly Realm, or Joseon Dynasty Korea, or in a completely new fantasy world/kingdom with magic & angels & creatures, or in the world of martial artists (jianghu) of an unspecified Ancient China, or even in a post-apocalyptic world that has reverted back to medieval society – all these dramas count & discussions about any of them & more are welcome here!!

For time travel & related dramas, or partly historicals, they count as long as at least 1/3 of the story is historical, so for example Queen in Hyun’s Man counts, but Goblin doesn’t count.

ooooh! we are getting closer!~  Thanks, Vya for reminding me of the HDC purpose :)

Great input everyone and thanks Nienna!

I was just about to comment on what Vya van Velaris  said.  HDC has a very broad definition of historical dramas - ranging from real historical/period to the Republican era.

I am all for a very customized list, but maybe something broader to begin with?  I am concerned not everyone is well-versed in whether a drama is based on a real historical figure/dynasty/kingdom, etc.  I watched so many and I am still confused sometimes.  Otherwise, I will have to read up on every drama I watched to know which category to place them in.

What about (not exactly the names of the categories):

1. Political/Imperial - e.g. 6 Flying Dragons, Story of Yanxi Palace, Story of Ming Lan

2. Wuxia + Xianxia - e.g. 10 Miles Peach Blossom, Who Rules the World, Sword Snow Stride

3. Other/Republican - e.g. Rebel, Mr. Sunshine

Good suggestion, Virgie

@ Vya van Velaris    "The truth is, the term "historical" used as the name of this club is actually a broad term that includes all costume dramas." I honestly forgot this thanks for reminding me ? (sorry for weird formatting im on mobile) 

virgievirgie:
I am all for a very customized list, but maybe something broader to begin with?  I am concerned not everyone is well-versed in whether a drama is based on a real historical figure/dynasty/kingdom, etc.  I watched so many and I am still confused sometimes.  Otherwise, I will have to read up on every drama I watched to know which category to place them in.

What about (not exactly the names of the categories):

1. Political/Imperial - e.g. 6 Flying Dragons, Story of Yanxi Palace, Story of Ming Lan

2. Wuxia + Xianxia - e.g. 10 Miles Peach Blossom, Who Rules the World, Sword Snow Stride

3. Other/Republican - e.g. Rebel, Mr. Sunshine

As someone who also isn't always clear on the specifics of what category a drama would fall under for time/era/based on real people/etc, I don't think the categories should be too limited (at least to start). I also like the idea of starting broader.

Got it! Thanks :)

Ciocio Sam:

Hiiii

Welcome!! We are discussing how to best create a voting list for HDC Hall of Fame.  Feel free to share your thoughts and also share your favorites.

THANKS @Nienna ?

I'm so glad and excited to see how this HDC Hall of Fame is going so far! ?

I'm having fun doing this...because I'm that kind of geek :)

FYI:  Here is why I can't just use the Search function for the Hall of Fame List. 

For  example, when for selecting Historical and Wuxia  the search returned the result below as one of the recommendations;  now you know why I'm asking for input :)  

Native Title: 山河令

Also Known As:   Word of Honor Bonus Clip ,  Word of Honor Special Episode ,  Word of Honor Episode 37 ,  Word of Honor SP ,  shan he ling    

Genres:  Historical,  Wuxia,  Fantasy  

Tags:   Playful Male Lead,   Censored Adaptation Of Same-sex Original Work,   Jianghu,   Xianxia,   Immortality,   Antihero,   Adapted From A Novel,   Martial Arts,   Adventure,   Action 

Nienna:

FYI:  Here is why I can't just use the Search function for the Hall of Fame List. 

For  example, when for selecting Historical and Wuxia  the search returned the result below as one of the recommendations;  now you know why I'm asking for input :)  

Native Title: 山河令

Also Known As:   Word of Honor Bonus Clip ,  Word of Honor Special Episode ,  Word of Honor Episode 37 ,  Word of Honor SP ,  shan he ling    

Genres:  Historical,  Wuxia,  Fantasy  

Tags:   Playful Male Lead,   Censored Adaptation Of Same-sex Original Work,   Jianghu,   Xianxia,   Immortality,   Antihero,   Adapted From A Novel,   Martial Arts,   Adventure,   Action 

Unfortunately, we can't rely on the search as many wuxia dramas will also have the historical tags.  Actually, most of the 'historical' dramas have multiple tags and genres.  We might need to include some very subjective (but sane) judgement calls.

Take Word of Honor as an example, the nominating MDLer could nominate it on either Historical or Wuxia.  The voting member can decide if it has better historical (political) element or wuxia element.  

This is a difficult task!  We need club members' brain power just to sort out the categories!  LOL.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Nienna, thanks again for taking on this difficult task!

Question: Are movies to be included as well? Or is the list solely on dramas alone?

I’m excited to take part in this group project :) 

Hello, Awkward Potato!  

Just series.  Once we can get a definition we like,I can see a Hall of Fame: Movies following the HDC list.    

What do you all think,  HDCers?