Nienna:

Hello, Awkward Potato!  

Just series.  Once we can get a definition we like,I can see a Hall of Fame: Movies following the HDC list.    

What do you all think,  HDCers? 

Thanks for the clarification~ 

LAST CALL FOR INPUT ON HISTORICAL DRAMA DEFINITIONS / CATEGORIES  

Hello,

I like wuxia, and ancient fantasy movies like Once Upon a Time (2017).  I think in terms of movies that could be added under historical, I'm sure there are other movies out there along similar lines.

By the way could I please join the club?  Thanks.

Kunlun Fairy:

Hello,

I like wuxia, and ancient fantasy movies like Once Upon a Time (2017).  I think in terms of movies that could be added under historical, I'm sure there are other movies out there along similar lines.

Of course you could! Welcome, Kunlun Fairy!

Kunlun Fairy:

Welcome! :)

I only watch sageuk so it's more simple than Chinese productions I think, but in the end, as the definition has been reminded, we watch costumes dramas because they are set in an historical setup, the fact that this setup is purely fictional or mixed with fantasy, inspired/based on History or a faithful reproduction don't really matter. Maybe we can just do a list by country and after create sub categories.

I think this may be the starting point.  Period Dramas, and Historical Dramas.  That makes room for everything. :) 

Thanks for the recommendation! 

Kunlun Fairy:

Hello,

Welcome! 

zeder:

Hello,

I would love to join the club! I currently mainly watch Sageuks and my current favorite is Six Flying Dragons, I have recently watched my first chinese historical drama The Long Ballad while it was an amazing drama something felt off compared to Sageuks, This might sound weird but their faces & the sets felt to perfect to me but maybe once I watch more I won't mind it or even notice it. I am currently watching The Rebel: Thief Who Stole The People I am currently 13 episodes in and am loving it so far! :)

Welcome to the club!

Have fun and talk to us about anything :D

This makes me curious. Would Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones be considered historical dramas?

fiflydramalover:

This makes me curious. Would Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones be considered historical dramas? 

My vote is yes since they are set in historical setting....castle, kings, people fighting with swords, bows and mean words.....with fantasy playing a major part

zeder:
I am currently watching The Rebel: Thief Who Stole The People I am currently 13 episodes in and am loving it so far! :)

I absolutely enjoyed every second of that series. WHAT A CAST!!!!  make sure when you get to the last episodes, to watch it all the way through to the credits; depending on which country you are in and on which service you are watching, there is a surprise for you. 

Welcome and have fun!!!

fiflydramalover:

ahhhhh - you a speaking to my geekish need for characterization! 

I think that 

• LoTR would be Xianxia, not historical. Hoever LoTR is part of a a cosmology with a history.
  • Game of Thrones?  I'm still upset at the whole idea of it.  It's like the Plantagenet Dynasty meets the Borgia clan with the addition of dragons.  Sorry, I'm being a bitch of a *itch today ;)

anyone else want to give fifly's excellent question a shot? 

Two things: 

1. Hall of Fame List  (for voting / adding) will be available mid-week, based on categories we've discussed in this thread. 
  2.  A new thread under General Asia Forums will  be created and I'll post the link in our HDC space.

so, in the words of every k-pop band getting reading to release an album: please look forward to it! ;)