Literally every drama is rated around the same and quite low.. older dramas ratings barely changed so basically the new dramas have it much harder to tell if they are good or not.

True. Some really bad dramas now have higher ratings than before (example: Super Star Academy) while most of the good dramas have lower ratings. I guess we'll just have to rely on other information beside ratings. 

That's true! But you know, eventually everyone has different taste in dramas and different personal rating systems. There have been so many circumstances that a drama with rating 9.2 did not sit well with me; meanwhile, I have found that so many dramas with 7.2 ratings were just my cup of tea.

I'm sure you know better yourself, but I'd also like to suggest to not only trust the ratings (not just on MDL, also on similar websites), but actually choose what you want to watch based on the teaser, actors, story-line, director, genre, tags, and ending. Here on MDL, the best thing that helps me decide to watch or pass a drama is the comment section. You get a general feel of what's going on and you don't just start watching based on a rating that might not even be similar to your final rating after watching the drama yourself.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in, because I saw so many comments in the past few days about the new ratings. But I can actually understand why it might be for the better, while encouraging us to see things from a different viewpoint, as we might miss some gems while paying too much attention to ratings :)

Even before the changes in ratings, I can't say I found them that reliable. In some cases I think things have improved due to the changes. For example, the rating of The Fortress increased (it definitely deserved a higher rating) and most of the Japanese dramas in the high 7 range have stayed about the same, while the Korean and Chinese dramas in the 8s have dropped, so Japanese dramas don't seem quite as underrated as they used to. On the other hand, I don't think Six Flying Dragons deserves to be rated lower than a dozen no-substance rom coms, but ...  whatever. 

The point is that the new ratings aren't a great indicator of the relative quality of dramas, but I don't think the old ratings were either. The admins are trying to get rid of vote manipulation, so it should make the ratings more accurate to users' actual judgements. Since every user on this site has their own taste and uses their own scale and criteria to rate things, no matter what the admins do, it will probably always be a little out of whack and not always correlate to how good the shows actually are.

I find word-of-mouth to be more reliable than ratings. If people who know my taste recommend things, or if a show is generally acclaimed, that is probably more an indicator of how much I will enjoy it than the MDL rating is. I also agree with Parto0o, look at the synopsis, tags, actors, writers, directors, etc. I've only ever decided to watch one show due to it being rated highly on this site (that was before the rating changes, though it still has a high rating), and it has been a big disappointment to me.

Well for Korean and Chinese dramas I didnt find the ratings that bad if a show was good it normally had high ratings and if it was bad it was low 8s now with everyone single show in the high 7s or low 8s I cant tell at all. 

It just doesnt make sense for older dramas to still be heavily high rated while newer ones are heavily low rated. 

I say trust your own instincts to watch them if you like it or not. I can't trust comment sections either, since I've struggled to like so many overhyped/highly rated dramas since last year but find some low rated unpopular dramas entertaining/addicting (like with daily dramas which were always rated low anyways) 

ForgottenSoul:
It just doesnt make sense for older dramas to still be heavily high rated while newer ones are heavily low rated. 

What's your definition of "older dramas"? Because I have generally found older dramas (2000s) to have low ratings (the "classics" are usually in the high 7s) compared to newer dramas.

xinya:

What's your definition of "older dramas"? Because I have generally found older dramas (2000s) to have low ratings (the "classics" are usually in the high 7s) compared to newer dramas.

BY older dramas I mean dramas before the change , dramas that were rated like low 8s before now look much better when all current dramas get like low 8s or high 7s. 

I go by ratings somewhat because if a drama had high ratings before then the people who watched it liked something. 

I guess I'm not seeing the same thing you're seeing. Some currently airing dramas have very high ratings. For example, True Beauty has an 8.6. 

From my perspective, many of the dramas that have been rated in the high 7s or low 8s since before the rating changes were always as good as many of the dramas in the mid-8s, so the fact that the many of those mid-8 dramas have fallen to meet them doesn't necessarily seem like a bad thing.

You could ask the admins for more clarification on the Support Forum, but from my understanding all they did was delete the ratings of fake accounts that were created specifically to manipulate the ratings. This means that shows with a higher percentage of fake ratings were probably the most affected, and shows with few fake ratings probably stayed about the same. The idea is that it should BETTER reflect what people actually liked.

True Beauty has 8.6 for now it will drop to like 8 tomorrow in a few days. 

https://prnt.sc/w5ndnx

https://prnt.sc/w5ndsb

Literally cant tell dramas apart its a bad system. 

I'm not a big fan of the new rating system at all. I have trouble picking which shows to watch now. I'm mostly just watching series that I already know from ahead of time or thanks to MDL comments section.

Also, I find it odd that he highest rated drama on the site is an 8.8. That's kind of low for the #1 spot.