As I was reading  the last part  my water bottle fell, I was like 😳

I AM SHOOKETH:

As I was reading  the last part  my water bottle fell, I was like 😳

Shooketh indeed

An interesting historical look at the ancient gods of South West Asia, including the Biblical God  

JUNE DNFs
I don't usually talk about my DNFs .... but there were SO MANY this month (T^T) that it feels kind of wrong not to this time around ^^; I don't want to mix these in with my completed reads either so I'm putting it out early. DNF point in brackets.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (26%)
Setting was why it interested me but its insta-love and I dislike plots around fictional angels.

Keeper of the Lost Cities (10%)
Actually like it. But it does read too young for me to like as much as I wish I could.

School for Good and Evil (60%)
Most characters are too annoying and it has mixed messages (like Hort but he's barely in it).

Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Second Story)
Soft DNF. Like it but I don't get invested in short stories enough to make it worth it. That being said,
I get the feeling I'll return to it from time to time reading a new story each time, rather than binging
them all at once. It's just a possibility but it's there. Who knows?

Heartless (5%)
WHEN am I gonna learn to give up on romance? America's definition of it is smut and crude ideas.

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (10%)
So not the books fault. I think this is the first time I tried an actual thriller. I was enjoying it.
Thing is . . . my curiosity got the best of me. I was impatient to know what was going on and
searched up spoilers. At that point that meant there was no point in me reading it xD

The Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels (40%)
This is the type of book that doesn't take itself seriously. Initially I was laughing out loud.
But the humour quickly got exhausting. Yes, exhausting. I always need some humour in a
story I'm consuming, whether it's a lot or a little. But I also need them to take themselves
seriously a little. This NEVER does.

One For Enemy (42%)
Out of this entire list, this is the one that makes me sad - the one that lead to real disappointment.
This was amazing until it wasn't. I LOVED the beginning. Her prose as well as her interesting choice
to split the book into Shakespearen-esque sections were the parts I vibed with most.  I also enjoyed
the dialogue, setting and chemistry itself between characters whether that was romantic or familial
Together they were all working beautifully. To the point where I was even willing to ignore the insta
love between two characters in it. Given all this, it HURTS that eventually, being a Romeo and Juliet
retelling was all it took to weigh all those pros down. True to it, dramatic instantaneous romance met
dramatic family feud conflict (therefore) met dramatic misery. Not my type of melodrama. Looking at
spoilers, right after the point I stopped, the plot goes terribly downhill too. So dropping it was more
worth it than I realised it was at the time. Not a good consolation but at least it is one.

All Systems Red (30%)
Just a mood moment. I'm not sure I'll ever be in the mood for something like this
however if I ever am, I trust this to sufficiently be exactly what I'll need for it.

The Poppy War (20%)
Though the context was natural, there was quite a bit of info-dumping. Scenes I expected and wanted to continue would end abruptly which often threw me off. The (intended) nod to China’s history (Opium wars, events involving Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and Europe) was closer to documented reality than I realised it would be - I don’t want to read the grimmer parts as the story progresses knowing this (a complement to the series if anything).

JUNE Reads

Night of Cake and Puppets: Wouldn't re-read it again because insta-love. But it was a cute novella nonetheless. Following two likeable characters in the modern setting of Prague that made for quite a magical set up. I just watched Wednesday and the chemistry in this book actually has a similar vibe to Enid and Ajax (wolf girl and Medusa boy).

Shades of Magic: A re-read. One I had a tonne of fun with. A thought that made me laugh is that I dislike the current trend of recommending books based on romance tropes and even more specifically, shipping moments people look for. Meanwhile this trilogy has EXACTLY those scenes (eg. 'knife to the throat') and they're done EXACTLY with the intent of being shipping content. I just happen to enjoy them here lol.

Whisper Duet: A re-read. One I DIDN'T quite enjoy. Unfortunately I didn't see that coming. Had the same issues with it that I did with The Prison Healer trilogy (dumb main character, glaringly obvious clues, lots of telling). There was also no point to some of its twists and a big fantasy element that comes later in the duology clashed completely with the laws set by the book earlier. I unhauled the duology.

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse: Happened upon this by accident. Was bored and looking at pretty covers to children books online to pass the time. This was one of them. Read it. Only for it to read me so profoundly it was practically rude. Manga aside, I've never bought a picture book for myself nor intended to. I bought this one without hesitation.

Play of Shadows: My current read. 25% in at the moment and I've loved every part of it so far. It's scratching that itch I've had all these years for a story set in a theatre. Moreover, it's providing the humour from a witty but underdog protagonist I miss from other stories I've read. And I suspect progress in the story will reveal the formation of a found family too <3

I posted the two comments above ahead of time because I can finally feel a book slump coming in. I'm not gonna read anything else for the rest of the month lol (and for who knows how long - time to switch to animanga and maybe dramas for a while)