Wandering_Queen:

Shakespeare is the king of drama and hidden meaning. If you want a comedy  start with A Midsummer'Night's Dream. For Shakespeare, you may want to start off singular versions  instead of getting the giant omnibus (so heavy and hard to read the print at times). 

I had a lot of curriculum, most of it was rubbish but the best stuff still sticks with me. 

planning on starting the singular versions like you mentioned and exactly with Midsummer. Though when I go to choose one I see different translations and reviews stating some miss acts. Hope I choose right one. 

Author: Robert Browne

Original title: The Paradise Prophecy 

Polish title: Obietnica Raju.

Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, Thriller, Suspense 

Thoughts: I have love-hate relationship with this book. First of all: it's fun and entertaining. That's the adventure type of story that, at times, makes no sense, but you don't mind it. The writing tho... it gets pretty bad in the 2nd half. The dialogues between two main characters are painful and cringe to the fullest. That's the stuff teens write to sound cool and/or flirty. And the pacing is just all over the place. I wish they just made two books out of this story: first one dealing with shit on Earth, and then 2nd starts with the underworld/purgatory travel. It would made much more sense. That said, I did have fun reading, so I would nit say it was a waste of time. 

+ I love the paintings that start every new "volume"(?). Not sure that's the correct word. Anyway, the chapters are grouped together in a bigger sections, and each section starts with different painting and quote from Milton's Paradise Lost. 

Favorite quote

"- And what if you are wrong?

- I will be the first one to admit it". 

It's the only quote I have highlighted. It's nothing profound, I just like people and characters that do not fear admitting they were/might be wrong. I have more trust person who often is wrong and acknowledges that, than someone who claims they are never wrong and will fight you on that.

Done with two, two more to go: Pearl S. Buck "The Living Reed" and Arkady Vaksberg " Łysina Lenina: Wspomnienia Adwokata".

Seven :

Ok I’m enjoying reading the poetry books I have chosen for the month of February. 

For March I decided, after watching a Cdrama realized I’ve never read Shakespeare, to read me some Shakespear! Don’t know why both of the high schools I attended had zero interest in showing us. (probably because I was in the ghetto lol)

Did you all have them in your curriculum in your schools?? Anyways for those of you that may help me in choosing which edition/or publishing house I should read the plays because I see interpretations vary. Thanks  advance!

I did not liked his books, is pretty much the content of the dramas of my country: betrayal,  blame others for the wrong things you've done,etc

Seven :
planning on starting the singular versions like you mentioned and exactly with Midsummer. Though when I go to choose one I see different translations and reviews stating some miss acts. Hope I choose right one.

There is a file of one, you can double-check the content against it. https://shakespeare.folger.edu/downloads/pdf/a-midsummer-nights-dream_PDF_FolgerShakespeare.pdf

This also works: http://shakespeare.mit.edu/index.html

Kate:
Done with two, two more to go: Pearl S. Buck "The Living Reed" and Arkady Vaksberg " Łysina Lenina: Wspomnienia Adwokata".

Nice

Wandering_Queen:

If you are set on finishing it.  I suggest you skim through it or read it out of order since it is a self-improvement book especially if each chapter has a title addressing something.

yes, I'm set on finishing it. it's a good book that I really need now when my life is in disorder.  

Good idea, thanks. I'll try to apply it. :)

JJChastity:

yes, I'm set on finishing it. it's a good book that I really need now when my life is in disorder.  

Good idea, thanks. I'll try to apply it. :)

good luck!

Yukio Mishima Confessions of a mask

Oh my, oh my. I love it so much! It is such a raw, sorrowful yet enigmatic and kinda liberating depiction of human condition. Because, to me, it is not only a story about unique and quite relatable queer experience  (the constrution of "closet" in which we are often forced, but sometime we throw themselves into it voluntarily), but a reality of every individual living in a society (The Other vs The Normative and all of those masks we have to wear on a daily basis).  

The meticulously constructed facade of "normal" the main character had to play everyday, the way he chased for things that he felt he HAD TO desire, the way he lied to himself constantly in order to achieve some kid of  universal, nonexistent "happiness" just because that's what he was suposed. The alienation, confusion, anger, disgust and deep deep shame. It hurt me.

And honestly, Mishima's obssession with the contradictions that kinda culminated in his sadomasochistic homoerotic visions/desires, with the St Sebastian as a key figure of this Eros-Thanatos dichotomy... perfection. 

Phenomenal book, highly recommended.

Hello everyone! I just happened to stumble upon this book club thread and wanted to join since i'm planning to finally do something about my reading slump (it's been nearly a year lol)
So the book I am reading for this month is Royalty Witches: La Esencia de la Aurora by my fav Spanish illustrator Laia Lopez and the writer Alena Pons.

I love anything that has to do with magical stuff, witches and fantasy! also,  since it is half illustrated I think it's the best option for my reading slump lol I have been enjoying it so far

nara :

Hello everyone! I just happened to stumble upon this book club thread and wanted to join since i'm planning to finally do something about my reading slump (it's been nearly a year lol)
So the book I am reading for this month is Royalty Witches: La Esencia de la Aurora by my fav Spanish illustrator Laia Lopez and the writer Alena Pons.

I love anything that has to do with magical stuff, witches and fantasy! also,  since it is half illustrated I think it's the best option for my reading slump lol I have been enjoying it so far

Welcome to the club, nara!  :)

I love magical themes as well and that looks like a really interesting book.

nara :

Welcome o//

nara :

Welcome!!!

Kapetria:

Welcome o//

How many out of how many pages have you read this month. I'm asking because we're the only ones suffer from severe slump. perhaps I get motivated. 10 days left.

JJChastity:

How many out of how many pages have you read this month. I'm asking because we're the only ones suffer from severe slump. perhaps I get motivated. 10 days left.

no problem, I've read about 110 out of 380

I started this one too: 

not sure the pages since its on kindle, it says 8% (270 pages book) there, so pretty much 10 or 5 pages a day

Kapetria:

no problem, I've read about 110 out of 380

I started this one too: 

not sure the pages since its on kindle, it says 8% (270 pages book) there, so pretty much 10 or 5 pages a day

you started two books, wow. my progress is still on 11% and 10 days left so I have to read 13 pages a day to finish what I'm reading.