penel:

Unfortunately, due to my long recuperation from some health issues I faced last month, I spent time reading mostly work-related stuff, so I didn't make much progress with my books - I only re-read some familiar, inspirational and comforting poetry collections from three of my most fave greek poets:
C. P. Cavafy, Odysseus Elytis and Kiki Dimoula.

So my plan for June is to start one of the following books I wasn't able to start in May:
Una Madre by Alejandro Palomas, Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo and
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson.

Poetry is not my thing...

Hope you get back to 100% health yourself!

Kapetria:

I read The Bone Collector, his books are dense, I was lazy to read the continuations 

Have you tried Venetia? it is funny

Oooh, I haven't. It's not even on my radar (yet)? Will check it out when I'm in the mood for Heyer :)

May->June update!  I am still slowly getting through Possession and though it has grown on me quite a bit, it's still not exactly a page turner.  I'm a bit more than halfway through at this point, so maybe by the end of this month?

Potentially complicating that plan, though: I started reading (accidentally? long story) Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.  I borrowed it from a friend an embarrassingly long time ago and I feel like a terrible friend and a terrible person for leaving it for so long.  So I guess it'll join Possession and I'll go back to my old habit of having an upstairs book and a downstairs book, and I'll slowly get through them both, or never get through either one :)  Current progress: 10/1088 (what have I done, haha)

zeamays:

May->June update!  I am still slowly getting through Possession and though it has grown on me quite a bit, it's still not exactly a page turner.  I'm a bit more than halfway through at this point, so maybe by the end of this month?

Potentially complicating that plan, though: I started reading (accidentally? long story) Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.  I borrowed it from a friend an embarrassingly long time ago and I feel like a terrible friend and a terrible person for leaving it for so long.  So I guess it'll join Possession and I'll go back to my old habit of having an upstairs book and a downstairs book, and I'll slowly get through them both, or never get through either one :)  Current progress: 10/1088 (what have I done, haha)

wow good luck on reading that 1000+ pages book! it seems so huge, but hope you enjoy :)

I didn't finish A Court of Silver Flames last month. Read 300+ pages (from 757) and suddenly lost interest and binge-watched various dramas instead. :p Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this month. 

I've also downloaded some danmeis from E. Danglars website. I like his translation of Silent Reading by Priest, and he generously provides the e-book variants of his translations, so I can read them on my Kindle, which is much more "eye-friendly" than reading on the phone. I might pick up one of these if I can find the mood to read.

foxyjo:

wow good luck on reading that 1000+ pages book! it seems so huge, but hope you enjoy :)

Thanks!  Yeah, "book a month" is going out the window for a while, I think ;)

zeamays:

Oof that's the way it is with book borrowing haha Good on you for actually trying to read and return it! I just assume I'll never see a book again if I lend it to someone haha

BOOK OF THE MONTH (MAY)

"The King of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence

(2nd book in the "Broken Empire" trilogy)

Goal reached, forgot to post. It was as thrilling as the first book if not even better due to the further development of the main character. I also enjoyed the constant switch between past and current events so the war, happening in the now, didn't get too dry and longwinded. Though it is hardly the usual kind of war. Go read it if you want to find out what I mean. ;)

BOOK OF THE MONTH (JUNE)

"The Emperor of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence

(3rd book in the "Broken Empire" trilogy)

Emperor of Thorns is the conclusion to the "Broken Empire" trilogy. Though there is a second trilogy with another main character in the same setting happening at almost the same time as the first trilogy. I might read that one too, just because I enjoy Mark Lawrence's writing style so much. BUT: I still need to wait for Emperor of Thorns to be delivered to my place cause I bought it at worldofbooks.com which sells second hand books only and I prefer to buy from them, not because it's cheaper but because I support their cause of getting read books back into the loop again and therefore saving ressources. Soooo... until then, I'm going to continue one of my chinese online novels. XD

zeamays:

Thanks!  Yeah, "book a month" is going out the window for a while, I think ;)

Does it have tiny writing and is printed on A5 paper? Cause I got plenty 1000+ on the shelve at home, for example every book in Brandon Sandersons' ongoing fantasy series "The Stormlight Archives". The words on the bind of the first book are unreadable by now because of all the creases from constantly opening the book widely. XD

I guess the secret to 1000+ pages books is to read only up to where you want and not force yourself to continue because you got to finish in a certain time limit.

# drama-lovers book club: “A Book A Month”

Status in MAY: SUCCEED, read 222 pages until the end of May.

❆ Wisdom of the Heart by Alan Cohen ❆

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1543113.Wisdom_of_the_Heart

I dump The 10 Rules of Sam Walton by Michael Bergdahl (330) because it's too thick and change it to Wisdom of the heart (222). I kept postponing reading the book but finally got to it the last week of May.
The style of writing is something new to me but it teaches us to be wise just like the book title wisdom of the heart. Each topic is followed by 2 or 3 pages. So it becomes an easy read. Did I have wisdom of the heart after reading it, I guess I have half of it.

On June, I will read a thicker book (305 pages) but I don't know can I finish it or not. I wish I can if it's good. I don't know will I dump it and look for thinner book again or finally able to read over 300 pages book.

❆ Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work by Richard Carlson ❆
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/663401.Don_t_Sweat_the_Small_Stuff_at_Work

JJChastity:
On June, I will read a thicker book (305 pages) but I don't know can I finish it or not. I wish I can if it's good. I don't know will I dump it and look for thinner book again or finally able to read over 300 pages book.

Good luck! Fighting!!

fiflydramalover:

Good luck! Fighting!!

Thanks

Same for you too

Skyesinger:

Does it have tiny writing and is printed on A5 paper? Cause I got plenty 1000+ on the shelve at home, for example every book in Brandon Sandersons' ongoing fantasy series "The Stormlight Archives". The words on the bind of the first book are unreadable by now because of all the creases from constantly opening the book widely. XD

I guess the secret to 1000+ pages books is to read only up to where you want and not force yourself to continue because you got to finish in a certain time limit.

It's average-ish, I would say, for font size and book size in general :)  I had a conversation recently with someone about the decision making process that must go into what size/thickness of paper and what font size to choose for various books when they get published (both of us were reading similar length books in terms of # of pages that nevertheless were totally different sizes due to font and paper differences).  The publishing industry is a mystery to me, haha.

I have definitely read 1000+ page books before, but it's been a while.  I am not scared of length at all, but this particular book I find a little daunting because I want to love it, or at least I have to get far enough into it to be able to return this book to my friend without feeling like I stole it from her for years and then didn't even give it a chance.  Argh.

Anyway, I have made another terrible mistake and started yet another book because I couldn't wait!  I love Japanese Breakfast and Michelle Zauner wrote a memoir.  I bought it intending to wait until I finished one or the other of the two very long books I am working on already, but then I watched her interview from this weekend on CBS This Morning or some such thing on youtube (it was this one if anyone is interested) and she made me tear up just from that interview, so that was it!

The book is Crying in H-Mart, and I will definitely update with my thoughts on it soon!  It's going to go much faster than my other two current reads, I think.

Oh my, that friend might wait another year for their book. XD XD

I think book producers? well, the people who decide on all the print details get half their instructions from sales, like, don't make the book too thin or it won't be noticed among others. So if the author wrote a medium length story they could enlarge the font or make the space between lines wider. Also, they can use thicker paper.

Whereas with epic fantasy you get a reaaal long story which you need to fit into one not too thick book, so you go for very thin paper and small print.

At least that's what I imagine.

Omg how do I join? :)