I'd like to join as well ;)

I read my last book last year which was Lynn Raven's Witchfire (romance fantasy).
I used to read way more in the past and I'd like to get back to that. There are a lot of unread books on my shelves...

xXabsintheXx:

I'd like to join as well ;)

I read my last book last year which was Lynn Raven's Witchfire (romance fantasy).
I used to read way more in the past and I'd like to get back to that. There are a lot of unread books on my shelves... 

Welcome!
I'm afraid most of us have many unread books on our shelves...
Let's motivate each other to start reading them again xD

penel:

Welcome!
I'm afraid most of us have many unread books on our shelves...
Let's motivate each other to start reading them again xD

Thanks ;) 

Yes, let's do that :D

This is a very good book, but I won't finish it this month.  It's a collection of stories by an oncologist and now therapist to cancer patients and health care professionals.  The stories are not about physical healing but emotional healing.  While they are very good, they can be hard to read at times.  I need space and time between stories.

One favorite encounter is with a nurse suffering from burnout who said she just didn't care any more. Remen told her, "People who don't care are rarely vulnerable to burnout.  Psychopaths don't burn out.  There are no burned out tyrants or dictators.  Only people who do care can get to the place of numbness.  We burn out not because we don't care but because we don't grieve.  We burn out because we have allowed our hearts to become so filled with loss that we have no room left to care."

I think I'll start an easier book to read for August and keep reading this one a little at a time. 

I'm gonna fail this month again. I only read 1/3

Reading-wise, I have nothing to show for July; I made very little headway and didn't complete anything. My health was acting up and I spent most of my free time watching dramas, my version of comfort food. I have no firm reading plans for August; it's my birthday month and I want to be carefree with it.

I've finished one book in July, which was There's No Such Thing as an Easy Job by Tsumura Kikuko.

It's about a woman who suffers from a burnout because of her previous (unspecified) job, and in the course of the novel, she's floating from one temp job to another, with each chapter representing each job ("The Surveillance Job", "The Easy Job in the Hut in the Big Forest", etc), showing amazing competence along the way but refusing to get too attached to any job. It's a surprisingly easy read, one that you can just enjoy comfortably after a hard day's work.

I'm also reading a Georgette Heyer book, a novel called A Zero-Sum Game by Mexican writer Eduardo Rabasa, and a Cultural and Media Studies book of essays. I quite liked them but my progress with them has been slow-going because I was lazy. Here's hoping that I'll get to finish them by next month :D

LucianYaz:

Reading-wise, I have nothing to show for July; I made very little headway and didn't complete anything. My health was acting up and I spent most of my free time watching dramas, my version of comfort food. I have no firm reading plans for August; it's my birthday month and I want to be carefree with it.

Hope you're already feeling better :)
Reading can wait till you feel like returning to it anytime!
Take good care of yourself xD

kura2ninja:
I've finished one book in July, which was There's No Such Thing as an Easy Job by Tsumura Kikuko.

It sounds like a very interesting reading!
I'll keep it in mind, thanks for sharing :)

JJChastity:

I'm gonna fail this month again. I only read 1/3

That's ok! Read at a pace that works for you. Maybe adjust your goals so you read a certain amount of pages each month instead of a whole book.

LucianYaz:

Oh no! I hope you recover well. Have a happy birthday :D

fiflydramalover:

That's ok! Read at a pace that works for you. Maybe adjust your goals so you read a certain amount of pages each month instead of a whole book.

Oh no! I hope you recover well. Have a happy birthday :D 

Yes, I will try to adjust.

Book Update for July-August:
As during June, my reading activities in July weren't that great ^^

I've read 2/3 of the book Una Madre by Alejandro Palomas (started it in June) and re-read the all time classic Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, after watching a theatrical play based on it with my mom this month :)

So, for August, I will try to finish Una Madre and, during my short vacations by the sea, I will probably read a mystery/crime title from my dusty shelves by Ann Cleeves or a light romance story xD

July - August Book Update

Happy August, my fellow members! :) 

So after nearly 2 months, I've finally completed Tash Aw's Harmony Silk Factory. As updated earlier, I kept getting sidetracked with researching the snippets of colonial-era facets of life, culture and landmarks that are littered throughout. 

Unique, though not original, approach to storytelling where multiple POVs are used to narrate the same tale. In the end, I'm unsure which version is more accurate with regards to the overarching mystery because of the open ending. 

For my next book, I'm leaving the past and going for something a little more contemporary and lighthearted - Last Tang Standing by Lauren Ho

Have a great month ahead! 

Completed:

My Rating: 2/5

My Rating: 3/5

My Rating: 4/5

Must Love Otters by Eliza Gordon - I picked this up because the main character and I have a mutual affection/obsession for otters.  It turned out to be one of those typical chicklit romances where the female lead is horny and these novels aren't really my type of thing.  Furthermore, the FL is too stupid to live (always getting into ridiculous situations) and there were barely any otters in it.  I ended up being disappointed. 

Then Will The Great Ocean Wash Deep Above by Ian Sales - I forget why this was on my To Read list cuz it's not something  I'd normally read, but I decided to check it out anyway.  It's a scifi that takes place in an alternate universe where women were the first in space.  It was kind of interesting.

You're Beautiful When You Smile by Qing Mei - This is the novel that got adapted into the cdrama Falling Into Your Smile.  I loved it as much as the drama if not more.

Currently Reading:

Why Not Soar Your Majesty by Er Hua -  Another gaming cnovel.  It's a bit too perverted for my liking, but I'm finally warming up to it now that there are less online gaming scenes (these are the scenes with a lot more perverted/filthy humor).