July reads:

One night at the call centreThe 3 mistakes of my lifeFive point someoneHalf girlfriend2 states

tbh, I have no plans for August, I'll just go with the flow and read what catches my eye. have a good read guys and happy drama watching too ♡

foxyjo:

July reads:

One night at the call centreThe 3 mistakes of my lifeFive point someoneHalf girlfriend2 states

tbh, I have no plans for August, I'll just go with the flow and read what catches my eye. have a good read guys and happy drama watching too ♡

I watched the movie 2 States and loved it. Have you seen it? I haven't read the book but usually books are always better then the adaptations isnt it? 

foxyjo:

July reads:

oh I watched the movie 2 States and enjoyed it too!

Its You:

I watched the movie 2 States and loved it. Have you seen it? I haven't read the book but usually books are always better then the adaptations isnt it? 

kaisrexci:

oh I watched the movie 2 States and enjoyed it too!

I am aware of a movie adaptation but I'm not into Indian movies (I don't know hindi... also kdramas set the bar high lol). I enjoyed the book tho, glad you guys liked the movie!!

Alright ya'll I finished the Glitter + Ashes anthology this month. like many anthologies, it had some stories I liked more than others. I really liked just being able to go through a bunch of short stories. maybe its for the same reason i watch a lot of miniseries these days lol Anyway, I enjoyed it overall. 

I also started reading a few other books I put on-hold a while back which is encouraging lmfao. We shall see if I finish any of those by September but I will not name any of them in case I jinx myself again

Wow, I had to go back way too many pages to find my last post here ;)  Apparently I have not updated since June. Whoops.

Updates:

• Finished Possession!  This one really grew on me.  I cannot even imagine how difficult this book must have been to write.  It's got the modern era story, with the Victorian era story embedded in it, told through letters, each written (convincingly) in the voice of each of those Victorian era characters, with each of those characters' writings sprinkled throughout (they are poets).  So it starts a little dense and academic, but picks up and got me pretty hooked.  4/5
  • I am like 80% of the way through Crying in H-Mart.  This is not a matter of time or effort; the rest of the book only took me about a week to get through, but I got stuck.  I'll get back to this one later.
  • And I am still chipping away at Infinite Jest.  I'm about 200 pages in (/~1000), but it is such slow going and honestly I might be too dumb for this book, haha.  It absolutely doesn't help that I only read it right before I fall asleep.  The freaking footnotes are killing me, haha.  Who in the hell writes 100 pages of footnotes!  David Foster Wallace, that's who.  Apparently.  ;)  Anyway, I am in a state of perpetual confusion about the timeline and the Canada thing?  But Hal is a great protagonist so far if that's what he is, lol.  I really have no idea.

Goal for September: keep reading Infinite Jest, haha.  I'm not giving up on this thing now.

Reading and watching dramas have almost become a thing of the past as school has started again.  Did not finish Skate Into Love (Chinese edition).  Probably will have to pick it up again in December.  

I have started reading Race to the Sun.  I'm already halfway through it so I'm hoping to finish it by the end of August.

Reads from August:

One Hundred Days of Solitude (Zen Retreat) was a much needed re-read.  I've missed going somewhere for a solitary retreat (stupid pandemic).  Though not a Buddhist I appreciated her very disciplined days of chopping firewood for the wood burning stove, hauling water from a well 1/4 mile away in the winter woods of Maine and beginning her day at 3:00 am for the first of her 300 hundred bows and sitting meditation times which were interspersed throughout the day.

Passion for God was a collection from German theologians and married couple Jurgen and Elisabeth Moltmann.  I must say, I enjoyed Elisabeth's section more than Jurgen's.

Hi, guys, I hope everyone is doing well. I finished two books in August.

The Unknown Ajax was fun. It's about a man who suddenly becomes the heir to his unknown grandfather's wealth after his predecessors (his uncle and cousin) died. Everyone looked down on him because his mother was a weaver's daughter, and since he has a perverse sense of humor, he decides to play along, acting like a yokel and buffoon half of the time. Eventually he ends up helping the family, garnering love and/or respect from everyone.

Nakadai Tatsuya on the Golden Age of Japanese Films is very much like its title says. Based on the author's extensive interviews with Nakadai, it tells--mostly in his own words--his life as an actor. There's a bit of info about his childhood and background, and how he sees his craft, but the bulk of the book is about his experience during the so-called Golden Age of Japanese Films,  working with some of the finest Japanese directors and actors of that time. If you have any interest in Japanese cinema, I can't recommend it highly enough. (It's not published in English, but a kind soul on the internet has taken it upon himself to translate it. He started doing it last year and has just finished it this month.)

Hello everyone,

This month I've been mainly on a cnovel kick.  I read two of Gu Man's novels.

Why Not Soar Your Majesty by Er Hua - 2/5

This was a gaming novel with an interesting concept, but the humor was a little too filthy, perverted, and immature for my taste. The online gaming part of the story didn't interest me much either. It was just a lot of talking crap, cursing each other out, and killing either other for no reason. There wasn't much action or adventure like I was expecting. The offline romance and story was much more entertaining. It nearly saved the novel for me. The MC is TSTL though and, while she does have some talent, gains fame through pure luck and causing trouble for those around her. 

Blazing Sunlight by Gu Man - 3/5

This is yet another of her books that is being turned into a drama.  No news on when it will actually come out (the usual).  The thing about this novel is that Gu Man mean two write it in two parts: Book 1 and Book 2.  This is Book 1.  I don't think Book 2 ever came out.  So anyways, this novel didn't end quite where I wanted it to.  On the romance side, it was perfect where it ended, but it was missing on the character growth side. I wish she had grown more in her career, which probably would've happened in Book 2.

Silent Separation (aka Heyi Shengxiao Mo) by Gu Man - 3/5 

This is the novel that the drama My Sunshine is based off of.  Gosh, this female lead was so dull and the ML has his own issues.  The story is pretty good though.  For once, I can say I liked the drama better than the original.  They had a lot more time to explore things.

foxyjo:

July reads:

I've been wanting to read something from this author.  Out of these, which one was your favorite?

August - September Update

Hi guys! Happy September! 

Gosh, time really flies.  Before you know it, it's Christmas xD

My August Book : Last Tang Standing, by Lauren Ho

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago, it's such an easy read. It actually reminds me of Bridget Jones' Diary, in a superficial sense and with an Asean (South East Asian) feel. I was expecting more Crazy Rich Asians but it turned out to be less insane and somewhat more thrashy lol. The main and supporting characters are quite relatable because I have friends who are like them in real life, plus the fact that it's set in my "neighbourhood" adds to the sense of realism.  It features life-aspects that most mature working professionals probably go through at some point in their lives with perhaps more varied levels of cynicism and humour.  

My September Book: The Frangipani Tree Mystery, by Ovidia Yu

I'm going for something a little less introspective and more cerebral this month with a murder mystery. 

Have a good month ahead and happy reading + drama watching!  :)

Happy September, everyone!

Book Update for August-September:

I finally finished Una Madre by Alejandro Palomas (started it in June), read Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman (enjoyable but not one of his best works) and started reading Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories by Alice Munro (I've read 1/3 of it).

So, for September, I will try to finish Alice Munro's book, which seems very interesting so far and I will probably continue reading mystery/crime titles, if work, family and dramas let me xD

Misunderst0_od:

I've been wanting to read something from this author.  Out of these, which one was your favorite?

I liked The 3 mistakes of my life and Half girlfriend. the latter deals mostly with romance while the former has comparitively less romance and focuses more on friendship and cricket. have a good read w whatever you choose!

Hullo, happy September.

August reads:

Murder is easy
-Agatha Christie
Grandmaster of demonic cultivation 
-Mo Xiang Tong Xiu

I read both the books in the first week of August and watched dramas since then. Murder is easy was good but not memorable (5/10). I read GDC (eng translated for online reading: here) after watching The Untamed, censored drama adaptation of the novel. tbh, it was my first LGBTQ+ novel and it was really good. since I had already watched the drama, it wasn't confusing but gave a deeper understanding of the story than the adaptation. 

Happy reading drama-book family!!