For September I finished Timothy Egan's book A Pilgrimage to Eternity.  Egan's a journalist who decided to walk the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome or at least some of it, while using trains and cars when needed.  I read a lot of pilgrimage books-women who have walked the Pacific  Ridge Trail or trained camels to walk across the desert as they dealt with life problems, and others who have gone on spiritual retreats or walked the Camino de Santiago, the one thing they all have in common is that they tend to be deeply personal reads.  They also bring their surroundings to life.  This book was the opposite, while discontented with his faith, Egan's book was impersonal and turned into a book on Catholic Church history and European history, which wasn't a bad thing, it's always interesting learning a little more about history I'm not familiar with, but by the end I felt I didn't know any more about why he took this challenging walk than perhaps he did.  He traveled from Great Britain, through France and Italy, a sumptuous feast for the senses, yet with his lack of descriptive writing  he might as well have been in his own backyard.

Fairiela:

I think you commented in the wrong thread by accident lol This is the book club! Did you read any books this month?

JJChastity:

After not finishing even one book for three months, I come in September hoping I could finish this book: 

I hope it's good enough to pull me in.

I failed again to finish a book for September. I couldn't tell for October because it seems my workload is going to be the same. I don't know. 

But strangely I have no problem completing dramas I watch.

JJChastity:

I failed again to finish a book for September. I couldn't tell for October because it seems my workload is going to be the same. I don't know. 

But strangely I have no problem completing dramas I watch.

You know I have the same problem! It takes me much longer to read a book than it does to watch a drama. Well usually. I recently read Iron Widow in three days, which I thought had become impossible for me. It might just be that you haven't found a style of writing that really clicks with you.

Hi, guys. October was a month of comfort reading, which for me means mystery/crime books. I finished Higashino Keigo's Naoko (which has a drama adaptation), Togawa Masako's The Master Key, and a book of short stories from leading Japanese post-war crime/mystery authors, Ellery Queen's Japanese Golden Dozen: The Detective Story World in Japan.

I'm currently struggling through a book about social history of Argentinian football (well, "soccer", since I'm reading the American edition ;p), Angels with Dirty Faces by Jonathan Wilson. It's actually a fun book to read when it's about football or society or politics in general, but when it's focusing on such and such players, it's hard to keep my concentration since I'm quite unfamiliar with Argentinian football pre-1980s.

I hope I manage to finish at least eight more books by this year's end.

Hello fellow Book Club lovelies!

I read The Path You Take.  It was about an Australian woman's experience on the Via Francigena as she sought answers about her career path.  She walked all of the trail from Canterbury to Rome except for 20km on the top of a mountain near the St. Bernard monastery because of snow storm.  You could feel the weight of her backpack, the mud underneath her feet and the relationships she made along the way.  Nice read.  

I also read Time Away by Johnson and Lang, a guide for personal retreats.

A good month for book reading!

At the very start of the month I read Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao like I haven't read a book in years! Finished it in three days!!!! I was super surprised. For a while, I was beginning to think I'd lost the magic that comes with book reading. Luckily, this book proved me wrong. Also, I FINALLY finished reading New Suns: Original Speculative Fiction by People of Color. Despite taking so long to read it (I started it last year!!), the anthology was pretty good. I definitely had a few favorites that I really enjoyed. 

I've also been reading a few random short stories in literary magazines online. It's an interesting way to read. I'm not completely sold on literary magazines, but I would say I'm curious. Anthologies and podcasts are the closest I get to reading short fiction collections.

G'day, friends! Happy Halloween and All Saints Day, if you're celebrating :)

October Update: The Frangipani Tree Mystery, by Ovidia Yu

The first book in the Crown Colony series, with the second being The Betel Nut Tree Mystery which I might read later on. So named because it is set in 1930s Singapore when it was still part of the British colony.  I would describe it as mostly a mature version of Nancy Drew with perhaps a slight reference to Sherlock. The FL of the story, amateur sleuth and local girl Su Lin is quite a fascinating character. Neither is she vexing nor lacking in common sense and wit (unlike certain C-drama female characters lol) so following her adventure in the story felt rather engaging and fun.

The overall lighthearted-ness of the mystery isn't really a bad thing if you're in the mood for something less complicated and heavy. I wanted a darker story which wasn't forthcoming in this book but that's ok, it was generally a relaxing and easy read.

November Update: My Life in Red and White, by Arsène Wenger

For this month, I'll be reading Arsène Wenger's latest autobiography.  Finally got the actual book while it was being delivered to my doorstep :D

Although I'm not an Arsenal fan, I've always regarded Monsieur Wenger as one of the finest tacticians and true gents of the sport. So, looking forward to this one!

Have a great time reading ahead, all!  :)

Happy November, everyone!

Book Update for October-November:

I've almost finished reading Michael Connelly's book The Burning Room, the 17th book of Harry Bosch series which I started last month. 

Like @kura2ninja, November will most probably be a month of comfort reading, meaning I will keep on reading mystery/crime books, if I can squeeze some time between work related readings and drama watching XD

Happy reading, dear drama-book family!

booktober was fun! looking forward to bookevember <3

The Spanish Love Deception
Kingdom of the Wicked
Cards On The Table
The Love Hypothesis       

The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas (9/10)- quick read. romance, enemies-to-lovers, fake dating.

Kingdom of the wicked by Kerri Maniscalco (9/10)- another quick read. fantasy romance, enemies to lovers, forced proximity.

Cards on the table by Agatha Christie (8/10)- quick read again. crime fiction, mystery.

The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood (10/10)- quick read x4. romance, grumpy-sunshine, fake dating, meet again.

regardless of the rating, I actually enjoyed reading all four books this month. I used to be a detective fiction reader but honestly idk how I became a romance reader now (thanks to booktok, bookstagram and booktube ig). also I'd read 10 books a month or 1 book in 10 months before joining the MDL book club, now I'm glad I found my normal- four books a month. thank you for creating the club :)

ps. no idea why the allignment looks so bad, kindly bear with it :))

hello, friends. I've just realized that I have to do double update because apparently I forgot to write about my book for September. So here are my thoughts about both books, one I liked a lot and the other was... something else.

Szczepan Twardoch - Pokora (Humility). I love this guys writing, but sometimes it feels like he writes the same book over and over again. Same setting, same motifs, similar character archetypes. So when I read the first few pages and it was about yet another young Silesian man, caught between toxic relationship with famme fatale and difficult moment in history, I just closed the book and have not touched it until last month lol. On the surface it's the same as his previous novels, but despite familiar elements the whole story was definitely something with its own autonomy that delivers some bold statements about various socio-political issues (unfortunately, relevant even today). Humility is a perfect depiction of chaos and uncertainity that was the Inerwar Period. It was especially difficult for the main protagonist who struggled with his national identitiy, political stance and coming to terms with what he really wants from life and what the world could realistically offer him at this point. It's really historically accurate, some parts of Poland (risky statement, since Silesia lies in Poland, but Silesian don't consider themselves as Poles) were really diverse national/religion/cultural wise and at some crucial points in history it caused a lot of political disputes or conflicts. The hopelessnes, confusion and desperation of the main character who happened to be born during that era was on point. Good book.

Marieke Lucas Rijneveld - The discomfort of evening. This was truly an uncomfortable read. Too honest and dark, gut wrenching, miserable. Fascinating in a sense, but in the end it didn't left me with postivie impression and in all honesty I was angry at myself that I even read it. The horrible tragedy causes the disintegration of a family, young children are left on their own and they have to use their limited understanding of the world to try and understand the existence of death and everything that comes with it. Mix it with conservative, religious upbringing (because of course), first sexual awekenings and the direct contact with unpredictable nature (of course it's a farm in the middle of nowhere) and you got very naturalistic, raw, disturbing yet fascinating story. BUT. I honestly have never skipped entire paragraphs before, but I had to do this here because the incestous, VERY explicit, sexual scenes were too disgusting for me to read. It was too exploitative. I appreciate the commitment to make the readers feel real discomfort. It was very interesting psychological book, but it also negatively affected me and significantly worsened my mood.

Son Won Pyung and her Almond is my pick for November.

Cheers!

In October I read only  Winter Begonia. A poignant story. A story about patriotism but above all a story of passionate, conflicting love. I'm afraid to start the drama as the emotions were so strong during the reading.

For the month of October I read two contemporary Chinese novels, the first one that I liked very much and the second much less, and I returned in the Victorian era with Elisabeth Gaskell.

Good night Rose (晚安玫瑰) by Chi Zijian (迟子建) tells the intertwined fate of two wounded women, an old Jewish lady of Russian origin and a young Chinese migrant from the countryside in the far north of China in Hairbin. The sensitive and poetic story surprises with this story of friendship between these two women that everything seems to oppose, the secrets, the revenge, the alliances are told with great subtlety, all this in the cold of the endless winters of Airbin with its famous ice sculpture park, its towers, its pollution ... Chi Zijian's melancholic and delicate writing has pleased me so much that I have already ordered another of his novels: the last quarter of the moon.

Kàn mài niáng (看麦娘, impossible to find the English name) by Chi Li (池莉) tells the story of Mingli who goes in search of her adopted daughter, of whom she has no news, in Beijing. Through this journey where Mingli finds the trace of a girl she doesn’t really know, she remembers her childhood with Mingli's biological mother and when they played in her father's very special wheat fields. I didn't manage to hang on to either the story or Chi Li's writing which I found quite arid. I couldn't really get interested in the heroine's quest, who nevertheless meets very special characters in an adventurous China, and I did not feel the melancholy of her childhood memories that she wanted to share. I found the whole narrative a little fast. I would like to try another of his novels set in Wuhan but I can see that her writing doesn’t really speaks to me.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, speaks about the confrontation between two Victorian Englands, one peaceful and rural in the South, the other energetic and industrial in the North. Ourheroin Margaret Hale is forced to leave her quiet life in a southern village to settle in a city inspired by the Manchester of the Industrial Revolution. The novel is a real social painting sketched through the friendship that Margaret will have with some of the laborers of the city and her interaction with a great factory owner. The city of Manchester is particularly vibrant and I was really hooked by the story, I read this long novel very quickly. Margaret Hale is an intelligent and generous woman, who doesn’t hesitate to face adversity, I really appreciated her determination. However I must admit that I was a little frustrated by the story of the strike, I don’t really know why but I spent my time comparing with Germinal (written 30 years later) that I had found so striking and relevant, there I found it a little short and not totally involved.

For the month of November I am thinking of reading  Ferdydurke by Gombrovitch. A Polish friend told me it's really great!

Hey y'all! I've been always thinking about joining this club but I was hesitant becuase I rarely read stuff after getting into drama world and I thought I'd get kick out if I don't read a book in a month lol but after reading some conversations I guess that's not the case, it's just to encourage each other to read and not forcing cuz then I'd love to join! 

Recently I finished Red white and royal blue by Casey McQuiston . It was a super fluffy book , pretty idealistic. A great book when you want to feel something, fall in love with the characters, fell giddy all over and get comfort. I've been kinda stressed nowadays so reading this book really helped me haha. I'm not that much into romance but I still enjoyed it so much that I finished it in one day XD that reminded me of the days I was so Passionate about novels, I'd finish them in weeks , sometimes days. It's been such a long time since then and this book made me realise maybe I should start reading 1 chapter of a book atleast to balance both dramas and novels. 

Anyways, I'm currently reading 1984, I know I'm late to such a popular book but still! 

Also would love it if y'all recommend me your favourite books! I like every genre but prefer psychological and like dark, deep, tragic stuff more lol